What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Slownickel lounge, pull up a chair. CEC interpretation

Status
Not open for further replies.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
How much did Wal-Mart make last year? People want cheap. And these same people are ignorant. You should see when you show someone deps. After finally just giving up "yes it's indoor"

On a good weather year even average growers have good product. On a shit year the strong will prevail.

Yeah, Walmart made a fortune. How much money you thing their suppliers made though?

Every grower that I know was ecstatic to have signed deals with WALMART. That honeymoon may last a whole year or so until the grower realized that they aren't making any money....

EasyGoing

So, I am working with a trim crew. They do lots of work in Calavaras, working for some real pros in the industry. Head guy told me my product is better than 75% of the greenhouse grown meds he is seeing, and better than all the outs. My full season was outdoor only. Starting to feel pretty froggy about this season, glad I took the leap.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
I find if you overdo K...bottom leaf more than 2 times top...you get mites period.

So is the nutrient inbalance what attracts the pests? I've never really tried to "push" K in flower and had some extra plants in flower so I gave them some extra soluble kelp for a couple feedings to see what would happen.

Plants not getting this regimen are just fine, the test plants show slightly larger bud growth but are crawling with aphids and spider mites.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So is the nutrient inbalance what attracts the pests? I've never really tried to "push" K in flower and had some extra plants in flower so I gave them some extra soluble kelp for a couple feedings to see what would happen.

Plants not getting this regimen are just fine, the test plants show slightly larger bud growth but are crawling with aphids and spider mites.

Yes Dawn, imbalance can cause all kinds of problems.

There is a K/Mn ratio. Without enough Mn, K uptake is a problem. Without Mn, you cannot convert simple sugars to complex ones. Bugs love simple sugars, bugs can't deal with complex sugars.

So simple observations are just that, observations, without understanding the physiology of the plant, at best, you are guessing to cause and affect.

So pushing the production of simple sugars just makes the plant a insect magnet.

This is also why certain varieties are so difficult to deal with, they produce so much more sugar and it stays in simple sugar form due to the lack of Mn and they become insect beacons.

Saw a tangie in the middle of a very clean operation. It had every bug you could find. Everything around it was clean.

jidoka

Aphids are generally Na over 50 ppm in the sap with a Horiba sap meter.

Mites are either high NH4 or Nitrate that has not been converted to protein (probably not the case here since you sprayed KOH treated kelp) or K.

Slow is correct about the relationship of Mn and K. But it sounds like you did not need to add the K in the first place.

EasyGoing

Another season in the books. Longest year of my life. Thanks for everything SlowN!

Blue Dream top - America!
picture.php

Last edited:

jidoka

Nicely Easy. Looks like America to me.

Are there any biologists lurking? If one brews something that includes gypsum and a pinch of epsom does that sulfate encourage an excess of archaebacteria?

Jidoka, or anybody else that knows, how effective is the uptake of potassium silicate for foliar feeding? I remember Jidoka saying potassium sulfate didn't seem to get absorbed very well for foliar feeding, but I don't remember anybody mentioning how effective ‎K2O3Si is.

growingcrazy

Nicely Easy. Looks like America to me.

Are there any biologists lurking? If one brews something that includes gypsum and a pinch of epsom does that sulfate encourage an excess of archaebacteria?

How is the brewer working on getting gypsum into solution? How long are you brewing for?

Easy, Nice BD :tiphat:

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Jidoka, or anybody else that knows, how effective is the uptake of potassium silicate for foliar feeding? I remember Jidoka saying potassium sulfate didn't seem to get absorbed very well for foliar feeding, but I don't remember anybody mentioning how effective ‎K2O3Si is.

LW,

You need to figure out when that post was. His K comments have gone to can't get enough to realizing that he was drowning in it and it was his worst problem.... LMAO

Potassium sulfate is extremely available foliarly. Regardless of what the boy geniuses say.

jidoka

Jidoka, or anybody else that knows, how effective is the uptake of potassium silicate for foliar feeding? I remember Jidoka saying potassium sulfate didn't seem to get absorbed very well for foliar feeding, but I don't remember anybody mentioning how effective ýK2O3Si is.

I don't believe the silica is taken up by foliar so I am not a fan of ksil.

I think kacetate produces the fastest sap response. Albion makes a K acetate. I don't like using sulfate when I am using quite a bit of gypsum cause I don't want to double up on sulfate

jidoka

How is the brewer working on getting gypsum into solution? How long are you brewing for?

Easy, Nice BD :tiphat:

Crazy...I am trying to make my top dress biotic. I would use soluble gyp so that isn't the problem. I just don't want to get a crazy imbalance in my bacteria.

I tend to shoot for brews with decent fungal development so 48 hrs mostly

Thanks for your responses slownickel and jidoka. I may have misquoted jidoka in saying K2SO4 isn't taken up very well via foliar feeding. Maybe jidoka was saying the sap response wasn't as fast as CH3CO2K. It was awhile back so I wouldn't trust my memory to be verbatim on that post.

I was mostly just asking for the reason of using K2O3Si as a pH adjuster for foliar sprays if the potassium isn't very available. That doesn't sound like it's the case though.

Anybody ever use sodium hydroxide as a pH adjuster? I know that probably sounds horrible, but I've use it a couple times and didn't see any ill effects and you don't need hardly any. I actually diluted about half a tablespoon of NaOH to a half gallon of water (so it already reacted with the water) and it didn't take much of that solution to bring up the pH of a pretty acidic foliar spray. Usually I don't worry about the pH of foliar sprays too much unless it's really acidic, like 5 or lower which isn't very often so this question is mostly out of curiosity. I just don't want them to be alkaline because I don't think they get absorbed as well and I use citric acid to drop the pH if needed for alkaline solutions.

jidoka

KOH is fine for pH. It gets a big response with damn little K. But i doubt your organic certified will be amused

Edit...with naoh if you drive na over 50 in the sap the aphids come...so that one, it depends

KOH is fine for pH. It gets a big response with damn little K. But i doubt your organic certified will be amused

Edit...with naoh if you drive na over 50 in the sap the aphids come...so that one, it depends

Thanks for the info jidoka. When the day come that we have organic certification for cannabis in Hawaii I'll work on being more creative with pH adjusters I guess. I almost never use them anyway, but it's good info for when it's needed.

reppin2c

Veteran
Remember that time jidoka put to much K in his soil and ever since then any talk about K or meters was thrown in his face? I learned a lesson from it and I'm sure others did as well. Thanks for sharing, I'd say.

Mountain and I had a conversation before he passed about hydrogen peroxide in water for more air. I was wondering if any of you guys had done any of that?

Attachments

• 20171024_121748.jpg
    20171024_121748.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

led05

Chasing The Present
Remember that time jidoka put to much K in his soil and ever since then any talk about K or meters was thrown in his face? I learned a lesson from it and I'm sure others did as well. Thanks for sharing, I'd say.

Mountain and I had a conversation before he passed about hydrogen peroxide in water for more air. I was wondering if any of you guys had done any of that?

I use h2o2 mainly in small amounts in RO water reservoirs for non chlorinated water to keep free from slime, levels that are fine for the microbes in the soil when used... I’m 100% sure it adds slightly more air too when watering..

Status
Not open for further replies.