What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Slownickel lounge, pull up a chair. CEC interpretation

Status
Not open for further replies.

led05

Chasing The Present
How is the brewer working on getting gypsum into solution? How long are you brewing for?

Easy, Nice BD :tiphat:

Sunset coast,

Something tells me you have the A’s and always pose the Q’s, actually humble A’s from someone doing it all..,

Utilize the cold for processing

led05

Chasing The Present
Yeah, Walmart made a fortune. How much money you thing their suppliers made though?

Every grower that I know was ecstatic to have signed deals with WALMART. That honeymoon may last a whole year or so until the grower realized that they aren't making any money....

Slow, as their agronomist, have you advised to steer clear of Wally, perhaps somewhat outside your purview but something I’d hope you did especially based on your awareness of the... inevitable?

Sounds like a lot of deals got signed

growingcrazy

Sunset coast,

Something tells me you have the A’s and always pose the Q’s, actually humble A’s from someone doing it all..,

Utilize the cold for processing

I love making bubble when it is 19* outside... last chest freezer of fresh frozen was made today...rosin is next! Still can't stand extracts made with any solvents.

Thanks Sir!

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Remember that time jidoka put to much K in his soil and ever since then any talk about K or meters was thrown in his face? I learned a lesson from it and I'm sure others did as well. Thanks for sharing, I'd say.

Mountain and I had a conversation before he passed about hydrogen peroxide in water for more air. I was wondering if any of you guys had done any of that?

Reppi,

What did you learn exactly?

reppin2c

Veteran
Spray the K it's to easy to over do it in the soil, especially if it's CEC 17.8, 18 or 20-22.

I thought I had busted my ass all weekend and I was in good shape. Well weather is good so I better get after soil prep while it's possible

Growcrazy-We transferred to dry, in our bags with dry ice. The water just makes it miserable.

growingcrazy

We have dry as well. I just wait until its sub 20* to make bubble. I use bubble for oils and butters in edibles...

Organic K foliar late in flower, what is your go to of choice?

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Spray the K it's to easy to over do it in the soil, especially if it's CEC 17.8, 18 or 20-22.

I thought I had busted my ass all weekend and I was in good shape. Well weather is good so I better get after soil prep while it's possible

Growcrazy-We transferred to dry, in our bags with dry ice. The water just makes it miserable.

You are advocating applying K foliarly to flowers? Maybe early on, but I think you would be better off making a real plan and planning a program out.

We run out our K program pushing a low CEC mix there in Colorado, worked great. No foliars other than metal chelates and even then, we stopped at about week 5 into flowering....

K hit about 8 % at the end....

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
What makes you say he didn't need the K in the first place? You have no data to support that statement.

TBH, I use hard wood ash (mostly oak and pecan) and kelp meal as my primary K sources. I was reducing the amount of both in this latest mix and thought that some soluble kelp would be timely based on the conversation.

The mite response.

While I know and have seen that mites and aphids tend to attack the weakest plants first, we have not had a hard freeze here in almost 10 years at this point. Hurricane Irma brought winds to my area that came directly over a lot of the strawberry fields across the bay, and spider mites are a known issue in the strawberry world.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Slow, as their agronomist, have you advised to steer clear of Wally, perhaps somewhat outside your purview but something I’d hope you did especially based on your awareness of the... inevitable?

Sounds like a lot of deals got signed

Led,

I always explain to growers that quality is pulled by the market and it is hard to sell garbage. With that said, as we all know, quality does not come by accident and when something is well done, the bar is higher for others to achieve, often impossible.

For those that can't jump the bar, discounters are the market. But if you have the best, it is almost an insult to be in the store of a discounter. Not to mention the money that is left on the table.

Why do so many go running to discounters? Simple, they will take huge volumes and that seems to many a safer (and only) way to sell and get mixed in with the crowd as long as you can reach the lower bar. I know one particular off season melon grower that grows in Honduras and Guatemala, his watermelons even got kicked from Walmart!

Over the weekend at this last cup in san berni there were some incredible flower offerings, amazing smells, one in particular, orange tree. The only one I bought to try. Dang if it wasn't harsh as hell. Terrible. Great nose, looked spectacular, up close with a good loop there was maybe 15% light amber, amazing.... seemed tight, but yet fluff inside.

Hard to believe that the vast majority are so lost. Sad.

Of course I try to convince folks to beware and look for higher end clients when they are on the road to candy land.

I am so spoiled to some of the guys stuff that I find it hard to smoke anything else. You know who you are guys! Thanks! Everyone that has tried well grown Ca and P rich won't go back to hack. The bar has been raised!

growingcrazy

Now if we could just get you to quit growing blue dream!

Your the only guy that is up early all the time... what is it 5 am in cali? Real farmers...

EasyGoing

Yup, 5am right now in Cali.

I don't sleep much. After my teen years, I usually only end up getting 4-5 hours a night. Back pain also.

That and I have to drive the state today, taking a ton of material from one concentrate guy to another...... I hate this industry sometimes. Flakes.

Yea, blue dream sucks! lol I am going to have Blue Dream in a jar front and center at the cup. Everybody knows what blue dream should look like, so I consider it a good measure of a grower.

hyposomniac

Everyone that has tried well grown Ca and P rich won't go back to hack. The bar has been raised!

Slow, I'm currently working on some poorly-grown Ca and P rich plants.. now I'm convinced that I need a soil test.
So what about soil that's already in mid veg.. should I flush it to remove any liquid feeds still floating in solution there? Thanks

blotter

Just want to thank snow and everyone else in this thread for dropping knowledge and resources. I'm only about a third of the way through and having flashbacks to my first encounters with other topics that produced immense confusion at first.

The only thing that ever has made sense to me for a livelihood is growing perennials responsibly and growing my first cannabis plants a decade ago in college with ~five ingredients convinced me I could fund a farm through cannabis.. bugs, winging it and realizing just how little I know has been a wake up call.

I'm bookmarking stuff to read after I get through this and am planning on reading it again after that.. anyway sorry for the dear diary post, but I'm going to skip the US(and my debt) for good if I can't make some strides over this next year. We'll see how it goes..off to trim some shitty "buds" while going through that 30+ hour Cornell lecture series posted earlier in this thread, just had an urge to express some thoughts and gratitude since I can't figure out how to mark posts as helpful.

led05

Chasing The Present
The Terpene Chase

The Terpene Chase

So it seems this is the next “it”, although imo terps have always been it...

I’ve complained for a while about lack of sun etc here on the east side yet I’ve always said there are the pros, rain, water, snow, soil that lives / changes not just blessed to us like parts of Ca and the Sun...

The point... Terpenes .... Hows that foliage around them parts? The trees here show their flavors, all life does... you can SEE the sugars transforming into perfection.... Maple....

My guess, tunnels and places like MI, NY, WI etc and even no tunnels are huge in this game, the temperate and continental climate after all is cannabis true playground and origins, certainly not the Mediterranean climate..

I swear I read NY was #2 in grape production, go figure

More importantly, eat a tomato local here, I’ve traveled all US, nothing comes close to the Great Lakes region for tomatoes, see Ontario for this too, amazing quality

Appalachia is very appealing too....

Chase the terps

Last edited:

jidoka

Speaking of high ca in plants. I finally found a CO lab certified to do tissue testing for legal grows. Gotta fill out the paperwork to transfer a fucking leaf of course.

Anyways i sent in veg leaf plus weeks 1-9. The results came back with the note Ca is off our scale. Wtf. Anyway i called. After a long explanation about wavelengths of light and how they determine the scale we finally got to it

Their scale only goes up to 1%. They have never seen cannabis with even 1% Ca.

My first thought was sitting ducks

Even a dumbass like me can’t help but lower cost, raise yield and improve quality all at once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts