What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Katsu's MASSIVE P98 Bubba Kush Reversal Bean Run

Happy Times

I have talked to a couple of the original roommates that brought the OG from Florida to California and, to the best of my knowledge, the Pre98 is probably the original Bubba (the mother of this is the original OG) and the Katsu is probably an S1 of the original Bubba. I really don't know much about what Swerve has.

The OGKB2.0 is ChunkyPigs clone - apparently much better in veg than the OGKB. I don't really find it similar to the Bubba at all in terms of smell or flavor, more sweet with less of the dank kushy smell.

I picked up some cuts of the original OG from one of the aforementioned roommates - he's been growing the same plant for 25 years so I am quite confident as to the authenticity. I haven't tried many of the OG's currently floating around, but this is the one that started it all and I plan on making some S1's and crosses.

Great info, thanks Katsu

Wow that’s impressive to keep a cut going for 25 years! Good luck playing around with this lady. Any ideas on the crosses yet? Were you thinking to reverse her and hit the same cuts mentioned in this thread?

Katsu

Veteran
Great info, thanks Katsu

Wow that’s impressive to keep a cut going for 25 years! Good luck playing around with this lady. Any ideas on the crosses yet? Were you thinking to reverse her and hit the same cuts mentioned in this thread?

I have a few ideas - I think I'm going to reverse The White and cross her to the OG...

Thcvhunter

Veteran
This story has taken an interesting turn.

I dont buy the Gegax/Crippy/Bubba story

I, instead, believe Dreddy Eddie from HT.
Soma disciple from San Bernadino, CA. He is DNA's source for OG Kush. He was growing OG here in CA, sent packages to DNA, and they found bagseed. He told them not to do it, but they did it.

I was told Bubba Kush is a seedline.
Barely-worked Afghan landrace.
Several people got the seedline. Katsu was one of them, but he didnt keep males back then and focused on one female, so brought Katsu Bubba to the scene. Basically, seed sister to Pre98 and 93.
Dready Eddie also worked the seedline to make Firehouse Bubba, which I love as much as the pre98 cut

My favorite Bubba Kushes are the ones with a swallow-tail calyx formation, like Durban but on a kush bud structure - the pre98 exemplifies this beautifully. I find the Katsu cut does not produce this expression and leans more towards berry/fruit than coffee/earth

to muck about a bit more with these stories.
There was a fellow from Arizona that lived in bc Canada. A biker and a breeder, he made regular trips between Vancouver and Florida all thru the 80's and 90's. Two times a year he would make that trip and I have my own thoughts on early bubba kush or at least one of it's parents.
We also used to ride to club events and campouts down the Oregon coast where clones and seeds were always being stashed for the ride back up north.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
This story has taken an interesting turn.

I dont buy the Gegax/Crippy/Bubba story

I, instead, believe Dreddy Eddie from HT.
Soma disciple from San Bernadino, CA. He is DNA's source for OG Kush. He was growing OG here in CA, sent packages to DNA, and they found bagseed. He told them not to do it, but they did it.

I was told Bubba Kush is a seedline.
Barely-worked Afghan landrace.
Several people got the seedline. Katsu was one of them, but he didnt keep males back then and focused on one female, so brought Katsu Bubba to the scene. Basically, seed sister to Pre98 and 93.
Dready Eddie also worked the seedline to make Firehouse Bubba, which I love as much as the pre98 cut

My favorite Bubba Kushes are the ones with a swallow-tail calyx formation, like Durban but on a kush bud structure - the pre98 exemplifies this beautifully. I find the Katsu cut does not produce this expression and leans more towards berry/fruit than coffee/earth

... Why would males even be part of the equation? Katsu received one cut.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yep. The Matt Berger / Josh D story checks out. It is NOT known what the "original" Bubba was that was brought from Florida. It was assumed it was a Northern Lights plant - it was never said NL#5 - just NL. Yes, OG hermied on to the Bubba, seeds were given, and a selection was made.

Bubba Kush - ie Pre-98 - is the original from that first set of seeds.

I have original Kush S1 seeds. Love to follow along and see what you find as well, Katsu! :respect:

dank.Frank

herbgreen

Veteran
Yep. The Matt Berger / Josh D story checks out. It is NOT known what the "original" Bubba was that was brought from Florida. It was assumed it was a Northern Lights plant - it was never said NL#5 - just NL. Yes, OG hermied on to the Bubba, seeds were given, and a selection was made.

Bubba Kush - ie Pre-98 - is the original from that first set of seeds.

I have original Kush S1 seeds. Love to follow along and see what you find as well, Katsu! :respect:

dank.Frank

He says its NL # 5 that he named bubba then the kush hermid creating bubba kush

@57:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYaA0LLcwa8

bubba calls in I think earlier but starts talking about bubba kush genetics @ 56:00

too-dope

#2 at approximately 40 days. Pungent dank/coffee nose. Reminiscent of the pre 98' clone I grew in the day.
picture.php

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry. Not trying to be dense, but don't often click outside links. I know when the story first surfaced, Berger stated they weren't sure what the Bubba really was - but they assumed or thought it was a northern lights line. It was never specified as to a number or. It was speculated.

I think the Phylos map shows us it's Ghani from Robert C. Clarke, that is the commonality between Bubba Kush and OG Kush.

picture.php

Not sure what to make of that, personally.

Makes sense though. Think about it. Rez outcrossed to Hindu as a guess. JJNYC outcrossed to Afghani as a guess. Whose lines ended up more consistent and shaping the Chemdog seed scene ultimately. Yep. TOP DAWG.

It's because the Ghani tie in introduced less variation and anchored the line back to it's roots.

dank.Frank

Cannavore

Veteran
Just looking at Bubba Kush I'd say whichever NL is a pure afghani is what "Bubba" was.

I never believed the Berger/Josh story either until I read some posts by Nspecta about it and his experience with S1'ing Bubba Kush.

beta

Veteran
Just looking at Bubba Kush I'd say whichever NL is a pure afghani is what "Bubba" was.

I never believed the Berger/Josh story either until I read some posts by Nspecta about it and his experience with S1'ing Bubba Kush.

I constantly read old descriptions of NL that sound identical to BK to me. Every BK / Sour Bubble cross I've ever done is dominated by the BK, which leads me to believe it's been extensively worked. If I had to guess I'd say it's close to an Afghani landrace.

Cannavore

Veteran
I constantly read old descriptions of NL that sound identical to BK to me. Every BK / Sour Bubble cross I've ever done is dominated by the BK, which leads me to believe it's been extensively worked. If I had to guess I'd say it's close to an Afghani landrace.

yep it's extremely dominant... i've grown sour dubb crosses with the BLD sour bubble expressions coming through pretty strongly.

just to go even deeper, well grown bubba to me has that classic waffle/doughy/bready/yeasty sweet kush note buried within.... you can find those same notes in '88 G13/HP (G13 x HP/NL1), Trinity, Platinum Kush, and probably others that aren't as fresh in my mind.

My guess is NL (NL1) would be the common underlying link here.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used to get accused of my Chem Sis x NL2/NL5 cut being a Bubba hybrid. Never smoked like it, but had that kush appearance to it through and through. Even gave the Bubba purple fade on the leaves.

Personally, I've always loved Bubba. I've always loved NL. I'm REALLY not surprised to find out they could are in fact from the same origin gene pool / land race starting points.

I've always laughed about how consistent my preferences have been over they years.

Regardless, Bubba Kush is some of the best. Sour Bubble is so great because of the Bubba infusion that BOG accidentally did.

dank.Frank

beta

Veteran
Regardless, Bubba Kush is some of the best. Sour Bubble is so great because of the Bubba infusion that BOG accidentally did.

Is this established as fact now? I've said for years that Sour Bubble is *clearly* a BK dom hybrid of some kind, but it was always vigorously denied.

I bet someone in the chain thought 'Bubba' was another name for 'Bubblegum', and boy were they wrong.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes. Sour Bubble tied into the Bubba gene pool when it was tested by Phylos.

dank.Frank

3rd-3yed

Veteran
My guess is NL (NL1) would be the common underlying link here.

I'm also certain that if NL was used in Bubba's pedigree it was NL#1 and not NL#5.

I saw an old NL#1 cut from The Seedbank that circulated years ago within some friends circles. It had the classic small golf ball nugs and the same kind of BLD Afghani structure/leaves shape exactly like Bubba and Sour Bubble have.

It would also fit Dank Frank's theory wich suggest an Afghani line from RC Clarke shown in the galaxy, as NL#1 was 100% pure Afghani.

Here is The Seedbank description:

"NL #1 is a true-breeding Afghani, with extreme Indica characteristics. These are short, stocky plants, with leathery, dark green, extremely broad leaves. The stems ere very strong, and it is easy to clone. As the seedlings generally tend to grow to one main stem, this is an excellent choice for the "Sea of Green" or "Small Plant" method. Resinous, potent, and sweet, not nasty and acrid like some Afghanis. Very vigorous end cold resistant, works well outdoors with a long season."

I find Katsu Bubba fitting the sweet Kush smell and taste description even if I haven't tried the original Bubba yet...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts