What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hush did a gardening

SolarLogos

^ LOL. :biggrin:

Well, I just wanted to say that I got my apartment today! And wait, it gets better.... Are you ready for this?...

There is no lease, the rent is only $350 a month, and that includes utilities! :jump:

This is nothing more than a case of serendipity. I firmly believe this is the result of just being a good person and keeping my karma in check. Long story short, a friend of mine mentioned to me that a mutual friend of ours has a "studio apartment" up above his shop down in the historic district. I told her that I didn't think I would be able to live in a studio, because I would need to have a dedicated bedroom for my daughter, but thanks anyway. Nonetheless, she ran into the dude later on in the evening, and asked him about his apartment anyway. Boy am I glad she did, because it's not a studio apartment after all... it's a 1 bedroom! And as coincidence would have it, it was vacant.

So I walked to his shop and talked to him, and he basically told me that since he knows me and trusts me (we have a relationship through my employer... he is a supporter of the organization I work for), he wants me to live up there so that I can be extra "security" for his shop downstairs. Also, there is an adjoining apartment with a woman living there, and he thought having a man living next door would provide extra security for her. I don't know what specifically that means, but I think it just means having a man living there who looks like he can take care of himself and others is a visual deterrent to shady people or something like that. Whatever, I don't care. I have a place to live!

There's totally some closet space for me to set up the 2x2 tent. I'll also setup the veg cab in the same closet. I don't know. I'll figure it out later. The best part about all of this is that I totally don't ever have to worry about a nosy landlord. I know this guy. He's super cool, super nice, and he has mutual respect for me.

I never thought I would ever find myself living in a place that only costs $350. I mean, especially not in a nice apartment with hardwood floors in an awesome, old building in the historic district of my town on Main Street. This is so awesome.

Okay, I just wanted to share with someone. That is all.

:blowbubbles:
Sorry to hear about the divorce, but happy to see you luck out on the new apartment. When one door closes, another opens.
I use integra boost humidity packs in my curing jars. They will absorb moisture or release moisture, whichever is needed to maintain 62% RH. No chemicals. Available on Amazon. They can definitely help keep your hard work from getting mold.

Peace, God bless

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
^ Excellent idea. Thank you for the kind words. :tiphat:

And thanks to the rest of you, too. Y'all are awesome. I love icmag!! This place is seriously filled with the coolest, realest people ever. :cool:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Sneak peek

Sneak peek

Here's the closet I've decided on using:

4CRb2X4.jpg

:biggrin:

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
That's what's up man! So glad to see things coming together for you. Can't wait to follow along on your next grow adventure.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Got all my grow equipment in the apartment now. You never realize how much grow equipment you have until you have to walk it all up a steep staircase built in 1915. That was scary.

On a related note, the wife can keep the couch. I'm not lugging that thing up those death stairs.

SolarLogos

^
And thanks to the rest of you, too. Y'all are awesome. I love icmag!! This place is seriously filled with the coolest, realest people ever. :cool:
I couldn't agree more. I'd give you 10,000 reps for that comment if I could.

Nice closet and the walls are white too! Congrads again on the apartment score, you deserve it!

Peace, God bless

Last edited:

insomniac_AU

Here's the closet I've decided on using:

View Image

:biggrin:
That looks great mate I'm sure it will do nicely. How are you going to do the air extraction and how do you intend to cool it? In my own houses I just cut a hole in the ceiling and vent into the roof cavity. Landlords don't usually like that though. Congrats! Happy for you. :)

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
That looks great mate I'm sure it will do nicely. How are you going to do the air extraction and how do you intend to cool it? In my own houses I just cut a hole in the ceiling and vent into the roof cavity. Landlords don't usually like that though. Congrats! Happy for you. :)

Excellent question, glad someone asked.

I have been thinking a lot about a lot of stuff in the gardening realms. I have recently inventoried what equipment I have, and what I've thrown away since last time. Where I live now, out on the high plains, it's pretty cold a lot. Our freezes happen as late as early May. So the majority of the time here, as opposed to where I came from, it's more important to provide heat, if anything. The reason I point this out is that in the 3 years I've been out here, I've noticed how drastically I've had to change certain things in the grows, and I've finally come to the conclusion that I don't need to vent anymore. :biggrin:

That's right. I'm going sealed with CO2 from now on. At least, I still hope so, as of the moment I'm typing this. So what that also means is that I'm going to be switching over to LEDs during the few hot months. But even then, it's dry as fuck out here, and so when the sun goes down it gets chilly, actually. So I might even be able to run lights at night or something. I'll play it by ear.

But this closet will not have ventilation. I'll be closely monitoring temps, and if it gets out of hand, I'll just go with LEDs. I would like to experiment with vert growing, too, so maybe even by removing the reflector and hanging the socket free that will help prevent some hot spots. I don't know exactly yet what's gonna happen, but I do want to set things up in a way where I can easily move to another spot if I find out I need to. This is all trial and error.

All that matters is that it needs to be locked and out of the way. I can swap out the door knob and make it lockable. I will absolutely not be doing anything harmful to this beautiful apartment. Anything I do, like swapping door knobs for instance, will be completely reversible. I have a backup plan to use the bedroom closet with a false wall (just foam board) that I could cut holes in if I need to air cool. But I really don't think I'll need to, based on my experience in the house I just moved out of.

:tiphat:

insomniac_AU

Sounds like you've thought it through. There's no reason why it wouldn't work with a dehumidifier and CO2 monitor/controller. That wouldn't be an option for me here in Australia but if it's cold there it should work nicely. :tiphat:

R

red23

Excellent question, glad someone asked.

I have been thinking a lot about a lot of stuff in the gardening realms. I have recently inventoried what equipment I have, and what I've thrown away since last time. Where I live now, out on the high plains, it's pretty cold a lot. Our freezes happen as late as early May. So the majority of the time here, as opposed to where I came from, it's more important to provide heat, if anything. The reason I point this out is that in the 3 years I've been out here, I've noticed how drastically I've had to change certain things in the grows, and I've finally come to the conclusion that I don't need to vent anymore. :biggrin:

That's right. I'm going sealed with CO2 from now on. At least, I still hope so, as of the moment I'm typing this. So what that also means is that I'm going to be switching over to LEDs during the few hot months. But even then, it's dry as fuck out here, and so when the sun goes down it gets chilly, actually. So I might even be able to run lights at night or something. I'll play it by ear.

But this closet will not have ventilation. I'll be closely monitoring temps, and if it gets out of hand, I'll just go with LEDs. I would like to experiment with vert growing, too, so maybe even by removing the reflector and hanging the socket free that will help prevent some hot spots. I don't know exactly yet what's gonna happen, but I do want to set things up in a way where I can easily move to another spot if I find out I need to. This is all trial and error.

All that matters is that it needs to be locked and out of the way. I can swap out the door knob and make it lockable. I will absolutely not be doing anything harmful to this beautiful apartment. Anything I do, like swapping door knobs for instance, will be completely reversible. I have a backup plan to use the bedroom closet with a false wall (just foam board) that I could cut holes in if I need to air cool. But I really don't think I'll need to, based on my experience in the house I just moved out of.

:tiphat:
Hush too much hassle, especially with an area where you don't know how it will react when overloaded with heat and humidity, for your first stress free run.I would rather see you set up your tent in there.
Mould
But if you want to try it, do a test run ,no plants!,for a week or two and see where the weakness are hidden

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Hush too much hassle, especially with an area where you don't know how it will react when overloaded with heat and humidity, for your first stress free run.I would rather see you set up your tent in there.
Mould
But if you want to try it, do a test run ,no plants!,for a week or two and see where the weakness are hidden

Fair enough, and I will be testing the waters first before jumping into it, but honestly I expect it's going to be fine. The only thing I don't know yet is what it will be like during the summer months. But right now, it's cold. I never mentioned it, but this closet is against an outside wall, and inside this closet is a tiny little access door that goes under the staircase at my entry way, and there is no insulation under the stairs, so right now by opening up that little door in the closet, it makes the closet feel closer to outside temps than my inside temps. So I think I can make this work in the cold months.

I'll be experimenting though. Figuring out the best way to do this. I'm not set on anything right now.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Hush, have you ever done an all or mostly Indica grow? I'd be curious to see what could be achieved in a 2x2 with those varieties.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I have, yes, but the largest yield in that tent came from SSH clones. Indicas are good with a little LST, and that's what I might be running next is OG x Chem, so maybe I can show you... Taking it a day at a time right now, but I'll come to conclusions soon enough.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Okay, change of plans. :biggrin:

After a lot of thinking, I've decided that I'm going to be getting a cat. When that happens, I'll be implementing a strict no-smell policy in the apartment, which means I'll be dusting off an old trick I have up my sleeve to eliminate litter box smells. Well, it's not much of a trick to us growers, but to a lot of cat owners it is... I'll be setting up the litter box inside of a closet, putting a cat door in the closet door, and putting a carbon filter and fan over the litter box, venting back out into the apartment. This requires cutting into the door, though, or a wall, and I'm not damaging a single thing about this apartment. So that would mean cutting a new door and putting it in the existing one's place. Then I would have to find a place to store the old door until I move out of here someday.

Suddenly it dawned on me... The hall closet has a pocket door! I could just keep it tucked all the way in, and then it's like the door isn't even there in the first place! So that's why I'll be using this closet instead:

VIdbQOi.jpg

Because if I'm going to have a carbon filtered space already for some other purpose, I'm going to go ahead and double purpose that as my grow space, right? I'll eventually put false walls made of foam board in there to separate the end spaces of the closet from the middle, where the litter box will be, and even put matching baseboard on the bottoms to complete the effect. And the beautiful thing is, most people aren't interested in snooping around dirty litter boxes, so it's a great stealth deterrent! I'm stoked.

Mzs51qL.jpg

Anyway, I have the DR60 in there right now. Just set it up last night. Still have to get the flood and drain table all put together and stuff, and get the coco prepared, and other things, but that should happen soon. Hardest part was finalizing the plan. But now I'm pretty set on what I want the apartment to look like, and I already know I'm getting a cat, because I love those little fuckers, so decisions have been made, and it's time to begin!

ApBQrO4.jpg

Anjey

Hey hush, just wanted to say hello and throw in my best wishes for you. I hope things come together for you well over these coming months and years, happy you found a new place you can grow too.

Good luck with the new Apt and your new grow assistant..! Stay strong bother thru the divorce.. Fun times ahead for you and your daughter..

I have to watch my cat as she likes to chew on fan leaves... She Actually topped one of my C99 crosses... Grrrr..

Looking forward to your grow.. Enjoy that Panama..

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Update: yield is in

Update: yield is in

I'll update with photos of some manicured buds later when the light is better, but for now, I just want to announce that the yield was 173 grams! That is approximately 6.2 ounces. I was not expecting that much. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts