What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Golden Tiger and Malawi vertical grow

Hoots

Cheers Builtaforest:tiphat:

Just a wee update to the update,

Youngest GT grew a pistil so that means,

5 females, 3 males:)

Think that calls for a,

:groupwave:

Hoots

Cheers Newhousegreen, good you think that:)

Lights have reached 12/12 a week ago and so far everything’s looking good.

The youngest golden tiger male is outside now. Started flowering really quickly. The other two males outside have survived a week of rain and wind and cold no bother but have reverted back to veg growth.

The last male is continuing to flower nicely.
picture.php

picture.php

Nice to see a Golden tiger flowering outside in the North of Scotland!(even if it is a male:))
Hope to pollinate a cutting of an unusual pheno that grew out my typhoons, this is her outside,
picture.php

And the cutting inside,
picture.php

Here they all are, filling out nicely,
picture.php

Some of the GT's are starting to flower, others are still stretching.

GT4 has thinner stiffer stalks and is one of the slower ones,
picture.php

GT5 is very vigorous and probably the furthest on of the tigers,
picture.php

GT5 pistil
picture.php

Both Malawi's are flowering faster than than the tigers the oldest is very exuberant,
picture.php

Would be great to grow these outdoors, stunning,
picture.php

Both Malawi and some of the GT's are yellowing a little on there bottem leaves so it will be good to get them in their final pots. Untill then I have given them a light feed of bio bizz bloom and some liquid comfrey.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Exuberant is the word Hoots! :tiphat: Loving how they are growing vertically!

I'd wait a bit before repot, cos they are in the stretching stage now. Try to keep them healthy with liquid fertilizer till they start to flower, then repot after final stretching.

Funny to see Golden Tiger flowering outdoors in North Scotland :D Let's see what happens!

Hoots

I'd wait a bit before repot, cos they are in the stretching stage now. Try to keep them healthy with liquid fertilizer till they start to flower, then repot after final stretching.

Hi Dubi,

Well it just so happens that as as you were typing that, in fact looking at the clock, at the EXACT time you were typing that I was potting up some of them!

The two Malawis and one of the golden tigers were put into there final pots.

It had seemed that they had stopped stretching, unlike the other Golden tigers who seem a week or so behind.

Ha, now you have me worried though, I think I need to buy more wire and string just in case:)

Here's the potted up Golden tiger, GT5
picture.php

Some of her flowers with the malawi,
picture.php

One of the Malawis,
picture.php

And a close up of her flowers,
picture.php

I guess I'll find out if I have jumped to early but it should give me a guide for potting up the others later.

Funny to see Golden Tiger flowering outdoors in North Scotland
biggrin.gif
Let's see what happens!

Great to see them out in the sun though the first two males out are not finding my climate to agreeable. The last one out I think could start dropping pollen soon if the sun shines for a whiley so he's getting some extra care.

Lovely watching them in a light breeze, beautiful plants:)

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
hehehehe dont worry Hoots!

Im sure the transplant will be good for them! They should start to flower slowly next 2-3 weeks, getting darker color and fatter stems with the new soil, then exploding in flower production next month. Thanks for the update!

Hoots

Cheers Dubi,

The 2 Malawi and the one GT that were repotted into there final 20l pots have stretched a wee bit but not to bad, tends to be a few branchs each night that stick there heads up so are easily tied down. Not long before I will let them go up as it is getting harder to find places to tie between there new flowers!

Heres the repotted tiger, GT5
picture.php

She is the earliest of the GT's and due to pot shortages was always a few litres of soil ahead of the others which is why she is so much bigger.

She does seem to be a week or two ahead of the other GT's though and is more keeping pace with the Malawi, typically she was the hardest to get cuttings to take but I hope that one has now.

Starting to form resin,
picture.php

Hadn't expected to see resin this early so that's a lovely surprise.

Heres some of the two Malawi,
picture.php

The youngest malawi, ML2 was the first to show resin.
picture.php

My plan was to make some F2's with the GT's, and also pollinate the malawi's as the tiger males are as close to a Malawi male as I can get.

I started 4 panamas and gave them 2.5 weeks under T5's till the first preflower showed on one and then they have been under 12/12 for about 2.5 weeks.

I was hoping for 3 males and one female but got 2 females and 2 males. The plan is to cross the males with the Malawi and also with the Mekong, one of RSC's landraces.

Heres one of the Panama lassies,
picture.php

And heres a close up of the other female, much further on,
picture.php

GT6 is one of the four tigers still to be repotted.
picture.php

I'm not very good at recognizing smells but one night tying branches down after having quite a good smoke and one of the GT or malawi was realising such an intoxicating smell that I started to get rushes as if I had been spiked with acid!!! (and it has been along time since I was last spiked with something so lovely:))

Heres the overview,
picture.php

It's good ninja training moving,crawling and stretching through this lot:dance013:

The plants at the front are all cuttings from my outside plants that look like they will not finish( or start!) and they should slowly be harvested and out the way over the next month.

Very excited though as I have been looking for a breeding project to get my teeth into and learn something of that fascniating subject and thanks to La Buena Hierba thread on Aces forum and through that some other similar threads around I have been inspired to have a go at some sativa autos.

Picked up a pack of Lowryder#2 and plan to grow them out under T5's and find some males to pollinate some of these lovely sativa ladies.

I'm hoping to maybe get to the F2's for summer next year so I can run large amounts outside and select in my conditions as well as to hunt for the autos.

How successful I will be is another thing but I think I will learn alot!

Outside the first two tiger males are just stretching but GT7 is actually looking quite happy and is SO close to realising pollen,
picture.php

picture.php

Both Panama males are out to and are continuing to move into flowering. Just like the females one is way ahead than the other.

It gives me hope for my breeding plan as I actually though that these plants would just keel over here in the highlands but ACE breed hardy!
picture.php

And a close up,
picture.php

Cheers for noo!

:wave:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
High Hoots,

Nice to see the early resin production on the leaf, it's a good sign for an indoor pure sativa.

I like a lot your thoughts ... we are also working on Golden Tiger F2 generation, Malawi x Golden Tiger backcross .... a panama x malawi or malawi x panama cross would be real mad potent and resinous :D

PD: Just found Buena Hierba auto flowering thead the other day ... his work looks very nice! :yes:

Hoots

Hoots, great grow show bro :lurk:
vibez :rasta:
Glad your enjoying:)

Its keeping me busy but the plants are great company!
(and very tickely)

Hoots I love that last close up pic..nice. Good job, DD

Cheers Doobieduck, I've enjoyed taking photos of the plants outside this year, lovely in all the different lights.

Thats a great avatar photo, is it one of your own?

High Hoots,

Nice to see the early resin production on the leaf, it's a good sign for an indoor pure sativa.

I like a lot your thoughts ... we are also working on Golden Tiger F2 generation, Malawi x Golden Tiger backcross .... a panama x malawi or malawi x panama cross would be real mad potent and resinous :D

PD: Just found Buena Hierba auto flowering thead the other day ... his work looks very nice! :yes:

Hi Dubi

Glad you like my ideas on crosses. Its fun deciding on these things having only the smoke descriptions to go by.

The way they are coming on though I don't think I can go wrong crossing any of them so the more seeds the merrier.

Resin production is lovely to see, heres a photo from tonight,

Malawi,
picture.php

I'll get more photos up soon,

have a good one,

E

edisonzmedicine

What's up with afropips? Did someone continue afroman's Malawi gold and other landraces? I received a facebook message they're still open, but I also heard that Seedsman bought their breeding stock. I'd like to see dubi access their nigerian amphetaweed, heard it's super potent. Too many conflicting stories, wish to know the truth and see those landraces perpetuated. Sadly, no USA delivery from them.

Hoots

Think this is about 6 weeks since 12/12 with 7 weeks veg starting at 14hrs working down.

What all gentleman dream off, a room full of hot, sticky, exotic females drenched in fragrant oils,
picture.php

Everything seems to be coming on fine. So many flowers at diffrent stages of flowering means I can lose hours in the room just simply looking and smelling.

Unfortunately for giving reports my sense of smell doesn’t seem to work like others and it is rarely that I can recognize and break down a smell to it's different parts. It amazes me the ability people have to name smells like this.

For me a good smell takes me, even if for a moment, into the dreaming. The more images a smell brings to me the better- and all these plants do that!

Saying that however, the older Malawi when brushed smells of worked leather and really old fashioned pipe tobacco. Reminds me of times when I was a wee boy visiting my Grandpa. I much prefer the more 'savoury' smells to some of the overly fruity, bairns sweetie aroma that I smell in lots of dutch strains.

Malawi and GT5,
picture.php

The older Malawi is producing tall buds and are filling in nicely,
picture.php

While the younger malawi is making more compact buds and is ahead in her resin,
picture.php

The last week or so has had the older malawi yellowing and dropping fan leaves, the older GT has started this too has as the younger Malawi.

Is this usual at this stage or is this a sign they need more feeding?
picture.php

Golden tigers are all doing well, not all are getting the best light but I have mothers from all of them so they can be run again once a wee smoke test has been had at the end.

GT5, by far the fastest,
picture.php

Out of the 5 golden tigers I have, three I would say are similar to the malawis in alot of ways.

The other two are slightly different and I wonder if this means they may be on the thai side of things,
picture.php

The leaves seem reminiscent of the mekong that is just starting to flower,
picture.php

The Panamas are at about 5 weeks in 12/12 and I was very pleased to see just a hint of red the other day,
picture.php

The other panama is slower to flower and has much thinner leaves, it would be nice if this was the green pheno so I could compare the two.

Good resin on the panama too,
picture.php

Hopefully pollinate things this week.

Panama males stared dropping pollen outside as did one of the GT males. The other two GT males are starting to go into flowering outside but I have cuttings of them inside just starting to drop pollen.

Now that snow and frost have arrived they are in a knocked up flowering room just to bring them on enough as I noticed that they will make and open flowers in the cold but seem to hold on to the pollen so hopefully the heat and lights will encourage them to starting letting it go!

The old drafty greenhouse only gets an hour or two of sun now and day and night temps this last week have struggled around 4-5C at best.

Various cuttings that aren't needed are sat in the greenhouse and the frost has damaged leaves on most of them, especially the mekong but a little cutting of GT1 has kept growing and even produced pistils- hardy bugger she is,
picture.php

Two of the male GT outside have some slight PM on there leaves( I am not keeping them much longer so is no problem) but the slowest flowering male is free from it, so although I will use all three males pollen as I am not sure of there other qualities, it is nice to think that the PM free male will bring that to the mix.

Ach well, till yon time,

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Great show Hoots :wave:

Try to feed a bit stronger the malawi and GT females that are yellowing. Despite being pure sativa, Malawi and malawi influenced plants love good doses of organic fertilizer. The thai dominant plants are quite sensitive to Nitrogen, dont feed them with the same strenght than the malawis.

Seeing your pics i can feel all the time, energy and effort you are dedicating to this grow. Thank you very much, it's a pleasure to see your sativa sea!

Hoots

Great show Hoots :wave:

Try to feed a bit stronger the malawi and GT females that are yellowing. Despite being pure sativa, Malawi and malawi influenced plants love good doses of organic fertilizer. The thai dominant plants are quite sensitive to Nitrogen, dont feed them with the same strenght than the malawis.

Seeing your pics i can feel all the time, energy and effort you are dedicating to this grow. Thank you very much, it's a pleasure to see your sativa sea!

Cheers Dubi,

Took your advice onboard, struggled a bit to keep the balance with to much and to little feed with one of the malawi and the most malawi GT but have managed to keep the other malawi happier.

Been feeding the more thai GT less and they are all good shades of green.

All my time energy and effort is rewarded with the pleasure of spending time with these plants. I work outside in all weathers and at this time of year after a day of sleety windy shitty weather putting on a pair of shorts and hanging out in the tropics with these lassies and a good smoke is just fantastic:smoke:

Its now 11 weeks since 12/12 and and the first malawi was harvested last night:jump:
Not sure if if the slow turn from 14hrs to 12/12 makes the count of 11 weeks redundant or if she is just a fast finisher but she looked and felt done, more cloudy than clear and a good smattering of amber resin.

The other Malawi looks close as well but I shall leave her another week or two.
The malawi thats left has lovely shaped buds, a real beauty. One of her calyxs caught on my t-shirt and so I eat it. My teeth were sticky with resin and it tasted of the strangest loveliest melon!.
picture.php

The Golden tiger closest to finish, much farther ahead than her sisters has suffered abit from nutrient problems but this hasn't affected her resin at all, not seen anything like it.
Not a great picture but just amazing,
picture.php

Well I hoped for a red and green panama and I seem to have them. The red is on the turn, quite a small plant having had a short veg time but with lovely resiny flowers and the two largest buds bigger then than my fist!

They are at 10 weeks since 12/12
picture.php

The green on the other hand is such a different plant, very shy but stunning, long castellated turrets again with loads of resin.

Very thai Gt behind the Green panama bud,
picture.php

Pictures of the malawi harvest next,

Hoots

Excuse me a moment while I

:party:

Here she is,
picture.php

I had hoped for quality not quantity but I got both, the buds are all big, heavy and dense and I'm sure with better feeding could have produced even more.

picture.php

Just Incredible,
picture.php

picture.php

So much resin,
picture.php

Looking forward to the first smoke of her, nibbling at the finger resin reminded me of being rolled in a giant green wave in the surf, gentle but powerful. Lovely deep smell though not overpowering like it a lot though, almost overripe hidden fruit maybe with custard?( as I say not to good with smells!).

picture.php

Will get pictures up of the more thai Gts soon,

have a great one,

:tiphat:

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Congrats on the bumper harvest!!! Where can I get a pair of scissors like that???

i work since years with scissors like this but mine have on one side a ring for one finger.

i buy it there where a dressmaker buy his things !

Hoots

Congrats on the bumper harvest!!! Where can I get a pair of scissors like that???

Cheers Lean Green:tiphat:

Treated myself to the scissors at the end of the last grow, Sishu Nigiri they're called and you can get them here, Japanese hand forged scissors . German company, used to be called Dick tools, I wonder why they changed there name.

I just love hand forged tools that can take a good edge, and if you need a 500euro hammer they have that to!

C

chase

Realy nice grow Hoots! I hope to find some similar plants when the regular mallawi gold is released.