What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2018

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
if the chargers stadium was bigger it would make a perfect venue, ag
no home field advantages there

/looks like you made yourself a little friend here brother

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah Sunshine, i hear there's going to be 6 billion wagered on the superbowl, now that sports gambling in legal in all states. You can even wager on prop bets, like who's going to win the coin flip, which player is going to score the first TD etc etc

Youre right, AG, it's going to be a chess match between mcdaniels and phillips. Brady is a master at the short, quick pass to defeat pass-rushers. I read an article that says he's the greatest check down passer of all time, and that's not a knock on him. The way he perfectly places the ball where his receiver can run after the catch means he can pick up 7-8 yards on a short pass instead of 2-3 yards. And the rams linebackers might be the weakest part of their defense, after they traded ogletree last offseason.

Gronk had 2 big catches late vs the chiefs but not sure he'll be able to replicate that vs the rams. Eric berry who hardly played this season because of injury was covering gronk, whichever ram defender is covering him this week will be battle tested, not in preseason form.

Supposedly it's controversial that all 4 refs for the superbowl are from california, after the way the saints-rams game went down i guess that's a worry.

I like your style Hawk but i doubt the bears could have gone on to the superbowl if parkey had made that kick. I mean, with that defense, you always have a chance, but doubtful they beat the saints and rams and patriots to win the lombardi. You'd have to have a historically good defense to make that sort of run, and the bears were the best in the league this year but not historically great. Maybe the '07 team could have done it.

I think pagano might be a good hire, he's one of those coaches who's a much better coordinator than a head coach (which is most of them, seems like). He coached the ravens defense to the 2012 title, and he's got plenty of talent to work with.

Hang in there Hawk, it should warm up by tomorrow. Went out a few times today to just shovel a bit, it's cold but imo, anytime you get into the negative degrees it kind of all feels the same to me. Just wear lots of layers and keep as much skin as possible covered up.

Yeah pop, red eye gravy has coffee in it, I dont think ive ever had it but i do love my cup of joe in the mornings.

I think people use either white vinegar or lemon juice to add to milk to substitute buttermilk, never thought of using balsamic or red wine vinegar, i guess that might be an interesting taste twist.

Me and the woman went to a diner a month or two ago and had their creamed chicken and biscuits; creamed chicken is cooked chicken, shredded and then cooked with peas and carrots in a milk based sauce/gravy, seasoned well with salt and pepper. The woman really enjoyed it, and i liked it a lot too. Thinking of trying to make it, using your tips about buttermilk substitute and using a pastry cutter to mix in cold butter, i think the acid in the 'buttermilk' helps with making the biscuits light and fluffy, not dense and hard like last time i used the bisquik recipe on the box...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
another thing the mrs used was the self rising flour this time and i think it helped
you could also add baking powder to regular flour but to start with its easier to just spend a little extra to get the self rising kind
that creamed chicken you and the mrs had sounds awesome,baba
it sounds just like chicken and biscuits but with a heartier gravy in it
sounds like my kind of eatting for sure
this game is going to be about the coaching as much as the talent on the field for sure
i agree that brady is a great check down passer, it just shows hes not trying to force the ball hoping to make plays
he also goes through his reads quickly so it gives the defense less time to react
the rams have a mean combo up front and can hopefully disrupt the patriots
/reminds me of the m.tyson quote about how everyone has a plan until they get hit
on another note, i saw a couple mock drafts online and one thing im keeping an eye on is the order they have teams picking especially the 31st and 32nd spots...
this is going to be a great game and i cant wait

hope your week is wrapping nicely and you stay warm brother!

Americangrower

Veteran
if the chargers stadium was bigger it would make a perfect venue, ag
no home field advantages there

/looks like you made yourself a little friend here brother

Must be a Browns fan, hey it could be worse. I heard for the 1st time in 10 years Cleveland supermarkets didn't run out of paper bags.

Though Ohio still used more bags then any other state thanks to the Bengals. :biggrin:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Thanks for the tip, Pop. Yeah, im familiar with the different types of flours: all purpose, self rising, bread flour. Let me tell you, one time a couple years ago i got it in my stupid head that i was going to be baking a lot of bread and bought a 25lb bag of bread flour (it has more protein than regular flour so more gluten and chewiness) at sams club, that freaking bag is sitting in my pantry to this day untouched. Lol.

Actually, a good substitute for baking powder is baking soda, the kind you use in your fridge to absorb odors. But i had about 3 boxes of leftover pancake mix, that has baking powder in it, and used that, plus some milk with lemon juice and some seltzer water (carbonation also helps with the fluffiness), an egg and cut in plenty of cold butter with a pastry cutter and made the best biscuits ive ever made. So thanks for the tips and inspiration Pop! Also made a creamed chicken recipe that turned out pretty darn well, for not having peas or carrots to add to it.

I believe that exact quote from tyson is "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth". Similar to the military saying: "No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy"
Brady has hardly been touched this postseason, part of that is due to the fact he gets rid of the ball so quickly true but also his line has been blocking really well for him. If the rams can’t get to him then maybe Donald and suh can at least control that run game; they held Ezekiel, Alvin and ingram to 2.5yds per carry in the playoffs.
Haha, AG, that’s pretty funny. Browns should be interesting next year, another good draft and they could win the afc north, for real. Nick chubb might be a top 5 RB next year.
Bengals won 6 games, so not too terrible, but they went 1-7 after starting 5-3 and their defense just collapsed down the stretch. Theyre going to hire zac taylor, the rams QB coach, to be their HC after the super bowl. I remember when zac taylor was the QB for a so-so cornhuskers team in college, when they were transitioning to a passing offense from a running attack. Now he’ll be expected to turn Dalton into a competent QB again. I think having a healthy AJ green will go a long way towards that, and getting the defense right as well.

Americangrower

Veteran
IDK who Zac Taylor is but hopefully he brings a pouch of McVay's magic dust.

Maybe it's just me but from what I see Jeff Fischer deserves most of the credit. He drafted every1 on this team. Now I'm no Jeff fan but.. how many rookie Qb's light it up their 1st year? To me it's no surprise Goff sucked and has got better in his 2nd and 3rd year. Thats what top picks do.

Lets see how good McVay is when he loses some of these guys to free agency.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
snip,snip,snip...

Lets see how good McVay is when he loses some of these guys to free agency.
you wont have to wait around too long ag'; next years team is probably going to look a lot different than the roster they are fielding today
i expect some turn over on the o'line for sure and suh is only signed to a one year deal
/unfortunately,i wonder if his output this season is worth the price they will have to pay to keep him on board
at least this year they get a draft pick in the first round

kick ass baba'! that is great that you were able to pull it off brother
good biscuits are a thing of beauty and you can go so many different directions with them
/the last of ours i made into breakfast sandwiches with egg and bacon and a piece of american cheese
good idea on the seltzer water, its like using beer to make a fry batter
the mrs drinks that stuff all the time so we always have it around the house
the chicken and gravy sounds awesome man even with out the carrots and peas
it sounds like a good recipe and we are totally going to make that here soon my man

so tomorrow is friday and this is super bowl weekend
its been a great season and i cant wait for the big game!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah AG, I think some journalist made a joke, saying McVay’s barista at starbucks got an interview with an nfl team, because it seems every team with a HC opening is desperate for their own Mcvay magic.
Isnt it Les Snead, the rams’ GM, that made those draft picks? Obviously every HC has input on who to draft, but I think only belichick has final say in the draft room.
I know fischer gets a lot of crap for his final season, and rightfully so, they only won 4 games and goff had a terrible rookie year, but I think people forget that the team completely overhauled their receiver corps (signed Robert woods, Sammy Watkins and drafted cooper kupp) and upgraded their O-line as well (signed LT whitworth from the bengals and C john sullivan). Remember, goff’s #1 WR his rookie year was Kenny britt, who signed with the Cleveland browns the next year, and was cut by them during an 0-16 season. Repeat, his best WR was a guy who was cut by a winless team the very next year. I think fischer wins more than 4 games the next year if he hadn’t been fired, maybe not 11, but definitely more than 4.
Since we were talking about ohio teams, an interesting article came out last week about the Browns’ ownership:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...rowns-front-office-where-hope-history-collide
Basically, this Haslam guy just cant get out of his own way. He wanted hue Jackson as coach over sean mcdermott (def coordinator of the panthers who is now HC of the bills and doing well despite lacking top end talent) and drafted johnny manziel over teddy bridgewater because he didn’t like the way teddy shook his hand when they met. If that’s true, then he sounds like a real numbskull.
Suh never seems to put up big counting stats, Pop, but I guess he eats up blockers. Donald led the league in sacks this year playing next to him. But yeah, 14M for 1 year is a lot, but he seems to have picked up his play in the postseason and if he can make some impactful plays against the patriots, a sack, forced fumble, tackles for loss etc then it’ll have been worth it. Even just shedding blocks and getting in brady's face would be enough to force a bad throw.
Every team suffers turnover in the offseason, and the rams might be without saffold and Sullivan on the o-line, joyner in the secondary, fowler and suh on the d-line. Goff is also up for a contract extension next year and he’ll be in line to make 28M or more a year, though that wont kick in till 2020. But if they continue to draft well they can find similar production at cheap prices, like the patriots and all successful teams do.
Yeah, there’s a coffee shop in the city that charges like $5 for a huge biscuit with butter and jam. I made 14 (smaller) biscuits for the cost of the mix plus my time, like 10-12 mins to pour, mix and cut it up. Think Ill enjoy some biscuits with butter and jam, like a sweet version of a breakfast sandwich. Plus, since I used pancake mix, the biscuits already have a bit of a sweet flavor to them, I think pancake mix has sugar in it.
It seems like you could easily make scones by just adding sugar to the biscuit mix, along with fruit or other sweet flavorings. A scone seems just like a sweet biscuit. Of course, in that case it wouldn’t be as good to use for sandwiches…
I predict the Rams will hold the patriots to under 100 team rushing yards. James white will get double digit catches but will have less than 100 net receiving yards.

Americangrower

Veteran
Los Angeles Rams: Like many teams, the Rams prefer to say that all of their picks are a group consensus, but if it really comes down to it, coach Jeff Fisher has the final say. The Rams gave Fisher a five-year deal worth around $7 million a season in 2012, and with it, they gave him a lot of say in personnel matters. He was already in place when the team hired general manager Les Snead, and the two generally work together on building the roster. -- Nick Wagoner

Americangrower

Veteran
I agree 100% Baba the Rams absolutely spent money and upgraded the O. That was possible because of Fischer and Snead's drafting. Otherwise they wouldn't have had money/cap to do it.

I don't see free agency being a problem for the Rams for a few years, they have cap space and only a few free agents. 2020 and on, may be a different story. As for drafting we will see how that goes. Big difference drafting 30's instead of top 10.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
its finally friday and im looking at a three day weekend!
this is the big game and i cant wait, regardless of who wins or loses im going to have fun
one of the reasons the rams went all in this year on the short term free agents was because they still had goff on his rookie contract so they had money to spend
hopefully they can replace some of the tallent they might lose
was checking out some of the college prospects coming out and it looks like this years draft class has a ton of talent on the o'line
/lots of good d'linemen too, more on that later
i hope the rams draft smart and look to replace some of their older offensive linemen; they have to protect their million dollar qb
/dont be surprised if goff signs a huge contract ; that 28m sounds in the neighborhood
suh brings a lot to the table and is very disruptive even if he isnt putting up the big numbers and he certainly helped a.donald get them most sacks of his career this season
/im sure the two will be besties for years to come
but i dont see the rams burning another 14m+ on him next season
/im not worried about suh, hes going to make that or more somewhere else
i saw a story about clevland in the espn mag but i haven had a chance to read it yet
butter and jam on a biscuit are bomb, i like to use honey on mine
but now that you can make them yourself baba' so you dont need anyones $5 biscuit
one thing we will do next time is fill those suckers with shredded cheese, like red lobsters cheddar bay kind and im thinking about adding a can of corn to the mix too and seeing how that comes out
i bet you are right and a scone is just a sweet biscuit
brilliant idea adding fruit to the mix, maybe some vanilla extract too, just a tiny bit to really bring it home; there are so many ways you can go with the basic mixture now that youve got that down
keep on kick ass my man

so speaking of draft picks who do you see an the top picks?
im hearing a lot of buzz about nick bosa, joeys younger brother
another guy is ed oliver but it dosent seem like this year there is a consensus #1
who would your top prospects be at the qb spot? how about defensive line
every year there are some guys who fly under the radar, how about those guys?

cant wait for the big game and i hope you all have a great weekend!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Shoot, I didn’t know jeff fisher was being paid that much by the rams. 7M/yr contract in 2012? That’s almost belichick money. What were the rams thinking?!?
Haha, fisher was actually considered a good HC at the time. And if youre paying him that much, makes sense to let him have a lot of input on the team makeup, he’s the one coaching them after all, gotta give the chef his choice of ingredients. The trade of picks to move up and pick jared goff at #1 overall seems like more of a Kroenke/owner move though, they were moving to LA that year and needed to make a splash signing, picking up a good looking cali boy as your franchise qb seemed worth the risk.

The rams have gurley and cooks and Donald locked up for the next few years, but are paying those guys a pretty penny. Having Robert woods on a cheap contract (7M yr) and cooper kupp on a rookie deal helps save money, but the O-linemen saffold and Sullivan might want raises from their 5-6M yr they were making before. The patriots let left tackle nate solder sign with the giants last yr for 15.5M/yr (a record for O linemen) and solder was worth nowhere near that amount. The patriots traded for trent brown from the niners during last years draft, and paid him 2M this year to play LT.

President’s day isn’t for another couple weeks, did you just take a vacation day for Monday, Pop?

I don’t watch suh play much but when I did during the regular season it seems like he gets blocked by a single guy a lot of the time. Maybe he pushes the pocket better than others but he doesn’t seem to make the impactful plays like a Donald or a jj watt or Khalil mack do. If he was smart, if they win tomorrow, he’ll sign a long term deal for 8-10M yr with the rams and try to pick up more rings. He made 60M off his rookie deal (before the latest CBA cut rookie salaries), 60M with the dolphins, 14M with the rams, he should have ‘eff you’ money in the bank now, meaning he doesn’t have to do things for money anymore, he can do things for legacy or happiness. Of course, if some stupid team offers him 40 or 50M guaranteed over 3-4 yrs, that might be hard to pass up…

Red lobsters cheddar bay biscuits are the bomb, haven’t been there in years but I always ask for 2nd helpings of the biscuits when im there. And again, it’s funny u mentioned that because I had a couple boxes of their cheddar bay mix they sell in stores, it didn’t turn out as good, wasn’t as fluffy as when I used ‘buttermilk’ and seltzer, but they were alright to make breakfast sandwiches with (ham and eggs and cheese). Let me know how the cheese mix works for u if u ever do it, im still working through my current batch of biscuits, not sure when I would make more.

Some mock drafts ive seen have D-linemen making up half the first round. Joey’s brother and ed oliver and that lineman from alabama are considered top 5 picks, Dwayne haskins from ohio state might be the best QB but he might be selected outside the top 10, the QB from duke is supposedly good too.

I think it’s very possible to find lower drafted gems in the NFL draft. Having top ten picks is nice but it seems like half of them end up being just another guy (jag). Plus there’s 7 rds in the nfl draft, plus undrafted free agents to consider; if your coaching and development are on point you can definitely restock even if you pick at the end of the round.

Pop, any predictions on the big game? I predict that either talib or peters jump a hot route from brady and snag an interception, maybe take it to the house as well.
Also, what’s on the game menu? I have lots of leftover pizza from domino’s 5.99 large 2topping deal last week (sigh) but may want something fresher, could go expensive and get giordanos or go cheap and get sams club or Costco…

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
you know it baba', i enjoy taking a personal day from time to time and to me the super bowl is holiday worthy
good point about wanting to sign a hot fresh qb to be the face of the new team in la
goff isnt a bad qb and comes across as a cool guy in the interviews ive seen of him
i see the game as being a good one with both teams putting up the points
the rams can open holes up front for their running game and hopefully goff has a good game
im hoping suh and donald are able to push things in the pats backfield and hopefully get a hand on brady
i wouldent be surprised if the game turns on a trick play or a turn over
both teams need to make the most of every possession and turnovers kill momentum
im still planning on making the skirt steak and the crab things
i picked up some crab cakes at the store today and some calimari rings too
plus i ahve chips and guac
if you arent goign with the pizza, what would you have?
are you guys home bound because of the weather?
even if you can get outside, i bet its awful in the cold so you probably dont want to be doing too much driving
yeah the cheddar bay biscuits are the best and i think if we added cheese to the mix it might come out ok
the mrs is away for the day and most of tomorrow so we wont be making any this weeeknd but i will be sure to let you know when we do, ill even try and post up a pic or two
j.fisher had some good years with the titans but 7m sounds like a lot to pay for a coach who is basically around .500 as far as w/l
he was 31/45 with the rams
suh is big and establishes position on the line and he eats up blocks but yeah he dosent have the explosiveness of a k.mack
if he would be willing to sign something for less money i bet the rams would be interested in negotiating but thats a big if

shithawk420

Veteran
Heard good things about Costco pizza but Giordano's hands down baba.im gonna make Hawaiian bread sliders and a ribeye for myself.its a long shot but I hope the Rams beat their ass

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
sliders cant be beat for game day food,hawk
how do you like to dress your burgers?

go rams!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Im guessing hawk likes them pretty standard: ketchup, mustard, cheese (preferably american), maybe a little grilled onions if you want it more white castle style? I like those hawaiian rolls, the sweetness of the bread goes good with fried chicken, but they seem a little thick to use for burgers? Maybe if you toast or pan fry the rolls first, get them softer, and use a thicker patty to make up for the thicker bread...

Costco pizza is good, not imo any better than sams club pizza for the most part. I have 20% off at giordanos for superbowl sunday but i have to order $50 of food to use it; a large stuffed specialty pizza is $30 alone but not sure i want to order that much food when it's just me and the woman, although i do love leftovers...

Crab cakes sound really good, Pop, cant remember the last time I had a good one. Im surprised you havent tried making ur own, they dont seem that hard to make, mostly just bread crumbs, crab and egg? Plus making ur own, you can stuff them with lots of crab, more than a store bought one would probably have, although i guess you have to have enough binder so it doesnt fall apart...

Yeah, the superbowl is kind of an american holiday, and now with tomorrow off you can get well and truly lit tonite, especially if the rams win. I want you to take 12 huge bong rips and smoke a fat blunt if that happens. Do it for me, pop. :biggrin:

Ur right, this could very well be a close game, i think all the patriots super bowls were within one score or 4 pts or something crazy like that. And yeah, one turnover could be the difference. Last year, i thought brady getting the ball stripped late in the 4th was the difference, the eagles used a short field to get a FG and then brady had to go for a TD on his last drive, and threw a hail mary into the end zone that hit the turf (gronk may have been interfered with, whatever).

I think suh is trying to invest his money wisely, set himself up to grow his money when he's no longer playing football, so who knows, he might take a lesser offer to stay with a contender, rather than go to another loser team just to make another 10-15M more, which is a good amount of money, but if youre already set up for life why not try to win more rings while you can?

The polar vortex moved on and now we're getting that warm air mass that displaced it from the north pole in the first place; it was low 40's yesterday, going to be 40s today and tomorrow will be in the 50s! Like, Wed it was -20, 5 days later it's going to be 70 degrees warmer. They have a saying in the midwest, if you dont like the weather, just wait a minute. :)

shithawk420

Veteran
I'm gonna cook ground beef with onion,fry up some bacon,slice the whole package of Hawaiian bread in half,put the beef and onion and bacon on top put half Swiss half cheeder and put melted butter on the buns and put in a casserole dish and probably put on 350 degrees until cheese is melted.ill post pics if I'm not too drunk! Lol

Not a slider but here's how I usually make my burgers:

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
good morning baba'! today is it brother and i cant wait for the game to begin
im looking forward to a great game later today
we have two top teams going at it and i think the rams can win this one
got to watch an nfl awards show last night on tv and it kind of felt like the nfls version of the old pep rally from back in the days; awards were handed out everyone was clapping and they announced the best players of the year
it was getting late and i was pretty baked and the whole thing had this hollywood vibe to it but it was fun seeing who won what and there will be plenty of time to talk about the accolades after todays big game
is the large pie is 30$ and you are getting back 20% off $50 you kind of only have to spend $10 more bucks out of pocket to get the deal
do they have cheese sticks or wings? how about canollis or a salad?
its not hard to spend $20 now days, especially when the food is good
plus you will be eatting like a king and have left overs for the next couple days
im somewhat of a burger purist and like to keep things simple when dressing my burgers
like you said baba, meat cheese and good bread should be the center pieces
i would normally make my own crab cakes, but since the mrs isnt here i just took the easy way and got some from the fish counter
they looked pretty good and were on sale, plus i have the crab pastries from costco
im also going to fry up a big bowl of show string french fries i got from the store
we have been having rain the past couple days and yesterdays rain was really hard
it looks like its clearing out today so i can grill the steaks outside later before the game
ahaha, you know im going to get lit before,during and after the gamebrother and i will be sure to really enjoy myself tonight just for you!

go rams!

Latest posts

Latest posts