What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2018

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Ah, good ol’ Al Bundy, the greatest high school football player/shoe salesman ever…

Yeah Pop, supposedly this superbowl had the lowest tv ratings in 10 years, it was so boring. I missed the halftime show too and glad I did, heard that most people didn’t like it. At least the commercials were somewhat entertaining…
I also wanted the chiefs to face the rams in the superbowl, but y’know, patriots did their thing and we didn’t get the game we wanted. Ah well…
Ur right, the rams D played tough all game till the last 2 drives, but kept brady to a 26 QBR overall. Holding the pats to 13 pts should have been enough, but mcvay and goff looked lost. I heard that the rams didn’t break the huddle on offense till 15 secs remained on the play clock, so the pats defense couldn’t see their formation, but that supposedly backfired, as it didn’t give the rams a chance to see the pats defense and let mcvay give advice to goff over the radio (radio shuts off with 15 secs left on the play clock). They kind of outsmarted themselves there, and also it seems that goff is babied by mcvay? When you’ve been coddled all year by your head coach, maybe it isn’t the best time to strike out on your own in the superbowl, against the best coached team in the league?

Didn’t brady walk off the field during last year’s superbowl without shaking anyone’s hand, AG? Im not too concerned if some player did that, to lose the championship game, what you’ve busted your ass for 7 months for, the last thing on your mind is shaking someones hand. Probably want to go punch something, or cry, or scream, or all three. Just really pissed off and upset and sad.
I thought some of the hits goff took were a bit excessive, a little too much ‘follow through’ so to speak on a hit after the QB threw the ball, but ur right, since they didnt fall on him or hit him high or low or hit him too long after he threw the ball, i guess that's not a penalty. Other than bruises goff wasn’t ‘injured’ by them so the refs didn’t look twice. The refs didn’t really call a tight game, lets the Def backs mug receivers (according to what you said), let the QBs get hit, just let the teams play physical.
I just keep thinking of the pats first superbowl win, against the greatest show on turf rams, where their gameplan was to hit marshall faulk on every play, rough him up so to speak. Seemed like all the punishment goff took made him gun shy.

Theres no excuse for the best RB in the league, someone who scored 20+ td’s during the season, to have such a crappy showing in the superbowl. Is he injured? He rushed for over 100yds against the cowboys in the divisional round, but played sorry against the saints and patriots. He might be, it’s a weird situation..

Americangrower

Veteran
Like I said I'm not big on hand shakes but linemen on the field at the end always do it. As for Qb's it's a lil different since its a mob scene and they aren't both on the field. Brady isn't the only Qb not to go looking for winning Qb after the game. Just in pats SB I can say Delhomme and Warner didn't either.

To me anyway there's a big difference between anyone having to go out on the field to look for anyone. Shit I would be pissed myself and just leave. But I wouldn't just snub some1 face to face by turning my back on them. Just my 2 cents.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
yeah i was surprised that they never gave gurley a chance to get the wheels going
even if he was only picking up short yardage on most plays they should have leaned on the run more
he was bound to break one eventually, they also never used him in the passing game which was weird
he is a great pass catcher and they lined him up wide w couple times but i would think you would have him come out of the backfield more
heck, nothing was working at that point so i dont think it would have hurt to try something different
oh well, it is what it is my man

even tho the season is over, there is still plenty of nfl action
the raiders could be homeless this coming season and the nfl draft always fun
here in san diego they have a new minor league team called the admirals and me a a couple of the guys from work are talking about attending a game or two
its been a fun year of football and i had a great time posting with you guys
hope to see you goons around next season

/i know you will be around baba and i appreciate all you bring to the table brother!
we will get em next year!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I never thought of it like that, AG, where the linemen usually shake hands at the end of a game because theyre basically within a foot of each other when the game ends. But ur right, Suh isn’t known for his sportsmanship, and he was probably frustrated that he didn’t have any game changing plays. He has a lot to think about this offseason, where he wants to go now.

The patriots used a lot of quarters, or cover 4 coverage, like the lions did in week 14 (or 15, not sure). Both safeties deep, right and left corners lined up deep. Maybe the rams could have ran some bubble screens to take advantage, who knows, im no coach. Supposedly mcvay was waking up at 4am every morning, prepping for this game, you think working 100 hrs a week for 2 weeks he'd have come up with better counters to every defense the pats would throw at him.

Even so, despite all their difficulty generating offense, they had a couple chances to Cooks in the 2nd half to take a lead or tie the game and goff failed to take advantage. Patriots made him try to win the game on his own and he couldn’t do it. Still, he’s only in his 3rd year, so there’s hope he puts it together eventually. Both mcvay and goff should be better next year with more experience under their belts. Mcvay got outcoached but belichick was in his late 40’s when he won his first title with NE, mcvay might be a genius but belichick is also a genius with 4x the coaching experience and 10x the head coaching experience. The boy wonder just needs a little more seasoning, like his QB, and im sure this game really taught him a lesson.

I think the raiders and mark davis will come to some settlement to have the team play in Oakland their last year, the city needs the money and davis needs a place to play. He’ll throw a few million their way, Oakland gets to enjoy the team for one more year, unless they suck again.

Do you mean the san diego fleet of the AAF (alliance of American football)? Mike martz is the coach of the fleet, they have steve spurrier coaching the Orlando franchise. Probably a lot of ex-NFL players on their rosters. Could be interesting.
Also, vince mcmahon’s XFL is coming back next year. They have bob stoops coaching the dallas franchise.

Americangrower

Veteran
You are correct they ran what Detroit used against them because it work. Bill said he studied the game. They were able to run that D because Ram's have no tightend and Gurley was hurt. So they really only had to cover 2 wideouts.

I think the Raider's should just call up San Diego, I'm sure that San Diego stadium would love the money from 1 year.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
its already a no go here in san diego
the other option was where the 49ers play but i dont think the 9rs are going to let the raiders play on thier side of the bay
/something about sf having to let the raiders into their market
yeah thats it, the fleet
i was jsut talking to a friend at work today about it and he is already on their mailing list and says they might be televising the games on tv
i will have to follow up on this, it might be fun
no shame in being out coached by one of the best and im sure this isnt the last rodea mvay will coach in
got any plans for the weekend baba?
the mrs has her step mom coming into town from of all places boston this weeeknd
we are taking her and my mom out for dinner tomorrow night and we are also planning a fun time for next week
valentines day is right around the corner, brother

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
they may end up playing there next year, another small capacity stadium
/seating is somewhere around 30-40k
it would only be temporary and im sure they would add on to the stadium to expand capacity

so the mil brought me a gift from bean town, she heard i like football

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I think gerald everett and tyler higbee are both capable tight ends, AG, and josh reynolds too. I think reynolds has had a couple good games filling in for cooper kupp, and everett and higbee made some big catches this year. Gurley may have a balky knee but wasnt wearing a brace or looked like he was limping or walking gingerly on it. I dont know, i would chalk it up to more of unresponsive game planning and bad quarterbacking than lack of talent or injuries in their skill players. Like the lions, the patriots wanted to stop the Rams zone run game (and subsequent play action game) and make goff beat them. Plus, give credit to New england's defense, the pass rush and tight coverage made things difficult for them when they had to pass.

Yeah Pop, the raiders are a divisional rival, i cant imagine ex-chargers fans would be happy to see the raiders in san diego, that's enemy territory. Maybe playing in UNLV's stadium wouldnt be so bad, even if it only sits 36K. At least theyll be in Vegas then, and maybe building up their fan base in the area, assuming they have a good draft and can be decent next year. And also arent the raiders and unlv supposed to share the new stadium anyway when it's built? So might as well start sharing early.

What'd she get you from boston, Pop? A patriots championship shirt? Ugh, BURN IT.
No plans this weekend or for valentines, Pop. Just chill I guess? It's cold again now, just have to stay warm and catch up on last year's movies. :biggrin:

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
when you put it like that baba', it sounds like a no brainer for sure
those are great points about laying the foundation for your fan base early and a small stadium would just bring you closer to the action
it looks like they are in total rebuild mode so this draft will be huge for the raiders
but have a bunch of top picks and who knows what they will do during free agency and via trades

yeah brother, a nice t-shirt and beanie hat to match
i like beanie hats so i put it on just to he grateful, but the girl child was quick to point out how dads a rams fan and she would like the hat more so i was able to shift that pretty quick
i will give her the shirt after the mil leaves
we are playing it pretty low key for valentines day too
im thinking of taking the mrs out to a korean bbq place, the kind where they bring you the meat and veggies and you cook them yourself
what movies are you watching? i saw the aquaman and it wasnt that good
the mrs loved the new bumblebee movie; it was actually pretty good for a transformers movie with the additional story lines like in the second guardians movie
/dont want to give up too much in case you do check it out
stay warm brother and have a great weekend

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah, the raiders have 3 1st round picks, their own (#4 overall) and the Bears and Cowboys picks from the Mack and Cooper trades (#24 and #27 overall). If gruden wants to go with derek carr for another year, i guess they dont need a QB, but otherwise they probably need talent everywhere, offense, defense, etc.

I was just thinking that when their new Vegas stadium is built, that will be an awesome place to host superbowls, better than new orleans or florida or texas or LA. I mean, Vegas is made for hosting large events, it's practically made up of hotel rooms and tourist stuff. So even if the raiders end up sucking, and it might be in their best interest to suck so they can draft Tua from alabama next year or even trevor lawrence from clemson two years from now, vegas still can look forward to hosting a superbowl every few years.

Thats nice ur mother in law got u some things, but i guess she's not into sports because she should know people are into their local teams, not teams from across the country. Unless she did that isht on purpose. :biggrin:

Korean bbq with meat grilled right at the table is always a good time. Do you eat all those side dishes, with the various pickled cabbages and some weird stuff, like seaweed, or jelly, or lotus root? None of it tastes bad, per se, just not very americanized like a lot of chinese food is...

I have to watch aquaman, yes, but thought people generally liked it. You didnt? I admit the DC movies (superman, batman, justice league) arent as good as the Marvel movies (avengers, iron man, captain america etc) have been but i heard aquaman was goofy but fun.

I wasnt too interested in the new bumblebee movie, those michael bay Transformers movies got sucky real fast: still watched them all, just cause giant robots fighting and stuff, and i was way into the toys when they came out, but man the movies were barely comprehensible. But the bumblebee movie isnt directed by him, and if you say it's good ill give it a go. :)
Other than that, maybe that Venom movie that came out months ago, have to watch that also. Also, i still havent watched the last planet of the apes movies from 2017, and the 2nd jurassic park movie from this past summer. If you have any opinions on those id like to hear them...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
she was just being nice but turns out she understands the game more than i thought
we had a fun dinner with her and my mom tonight and we all talked and had a good time
yeah part of the fun of korean food are all the pickled vegetables and stuff like that

we actually went to a tofu place tonight for dinner because the mil is vegetarian; me and the boy got meat dishes and the mrs and my mom got seafood, but the mil got a nice vegetarian dish that looked pretty good
but they had the little dishes of various pickled things on the table
i could see super bowls in vegas being a hit
like you said, lots of accommodations and things to do plus the weather is nice that time of year
it will be interesting to see what the raiders do with carr? if they think he can return to form he would be worth hanging on to but there always seems to be a lot of hot young arms coming up and gruden might want to just do a total reset
plus i think carr may still have some trade value so we will see how the off season goes
goofy but fun sounds about right; a fishy bro tale
the aquaman was nice as far as the cgi goes, the effects were top notch and it was a fun movie to watch, it just felt really cliche as far as dialogue goes
the bumble bee movie was a little more story driven and the mrs loved the movie
i usually dont really go for the comic book movies but they have been getting better and adding an extra layer for the people who want more than special effects
it might be something you and the lady can enjoy together
i thought the planet of the apes movie was all right too but it was while ago that i saw it

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Sounds like everyone had a nice dinner, good food and conversation always goes well together.

You seem like you know your way around a grill, have you ever tried making your own korean shortribs at home? Ive seen shortribs at the butcher, even sams club has them, and the marinade is just soy sauce, lots of sugar, garlic and ginger and hot pepper powder. I think maybe they use kiwi or pineapple to tenderize the meat during marinating, but you can buy meat tenderizer powder (adolphs is one brand although they have generics) that works faster, it's very salty though so u just use that in place of salt...

Carr hasnt really been that good the last couple years but he played decent the 2nd half of this past season. It's hard not to imagine gruden wouldnt ditch him for a decent 1st round pick though, assuming that a team would give that up for him.

I think this draft is less QB driven than last year's, where like 6 went in the 1st round. Maybe dwayne haskins (Ohio state) and Kyler Murray and the Duke QB are the only 1st round QBs this year, although later drafted guys like will grier might turn out good too. We'll see. It's odd though, that probably less than 10 teams are in the market for a QB: Oakland (maybe), Giants, Miami (maybe), Jacksonville (certainly), Denver (probably), Washington (alex smith probably wont play at all next year), who else?

I had one of the Alliance football games on the tv last night, seemed ok, i think they had the coach miked so you could hear a coach talk about benching his QB they were playing so bad. So that's a bit more access than you normally get in a football game. I think it'd be funny if you could hear them curse and make derogatory remarks when a player screws up: "WTF was that!!! Holy s!@# that was all kinds of dumb!"

Ill definitely put the bumblebee movie on my list. I also have the oscar nominated movies like bohemian rhapsody to catch up on. Also the latest star wars movie, about Han solo's younger days, havent watched yet...

Space Toker

Veteran
The Patriots are AWESOME, just face it! The more haters hate and whiners whine, the more we win while all the crybabies go WHA-WHAWAHA-WHA! Congrats 2018 Patriots! Go 2019 Patriots!!

Space Toker

Veteran
That mainly referred to USA Today, ESPN, and others paid to hate. Those sliders did look good and credit where credit is due is finally happening. Go 2019 Patriots!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
happening guys!
hope everyone had a great weekend!
what cahnel was the football on baba'?
was it one of the networks or like espn2
i dont have the fancy channels so im hoping it was on one of the majors, but maybe reddit will have something if it becomes popular enough
what did you think of the actionon the field, did you see anyone you recognised?
that sounds like it was fun to listen to;, i love hearing the action on the field and it gets a little salty at times
one of the best short rib dishes i ever had was made by my nephew
he used this seasoning called toscino and garlic sot sauce
marinate the stuff over night and grill it up
a friends family would do theirs from scratch and i seem to remember them putting a can of 7up in it too, but he just buys this seasoning packet frpom the store
its hits almost all the notes: salty,sweet and savory and tastes super good
im not sold on carr so i wouldent be surprised to see him traded at some point
i agree that this years draft dosent have as much top talent at the qb position but there are a few teams that either need to fill a spot now or could be looking for a qb to develope
it also looks like a lot of first round de/dl are projected to be top-10 picks
what do you see as far as other skill positions go? do you have a favorite player in the draft this year?

MrBungle

Reports are coming in that Kareem Hunt is now on the Browns... Should be a nice complement to Chubb in the backfield... Gonna be an exciting off season...

iTarzan

I just read Hunt is playing in that new league. I don't know why the Browns just don't make Duke Johnson their main guy. When he is utilized he is a good runner and a great receiving option. I thought after his 2017 season he would be the man in 2018. He got screwed.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Im not a fan of the browns signing Hunt, they already have 2 good backs in Chubb and Johnson (heh, chubb and johnson, get it?).
Chubb i think is going to be a top 5 back next year, and is also underrated as a pass catcher. Duke johnson is a great change of pace guy and also can give chubb a breather when he needs it.

Signing hunt is just unnecessary to me, seems like all it does it just piss chubb off. Maybe it will work out and theyll find a nice balance in that backfield, but i think it will be like the saints in kamara's rookie year, once they got rid of adrian peterson after week 4 or 5, kamara and ingram really took off. This smacks of a jim haslam, meddling owner type move to me: oh look, he led the league in rushing, he's from cleveland, what could go wrong?!?

The alliance game was on cbs in my area, Pop, and i think they also replay them on nfl network if you have cable or satellite.

I only had it on in the background while i was doing other stuff, so didnt have a chance to pay much attention, but from what i read about the league i think there are a lot of recent nfl players there, guys who got cut within the last few years and never got on another nfl roster: gavin escobar (TE from dallas), denard robinson (UMich qb turned jaguars RB), etc etc. Maybe next broadcast ill pay more attention.

I heard the alliance game actually got 3M viewers, more than the NBA game in the same time period. So maybe it'll stick around, who knows.

Another interesting thing is that they have a referee in an upstairs booth reviewing calls and noncalls, and she was miked up, so you could hear her talk about the call as she's making her decision. So again, seems this league just wants to offer more access to behind the scenes stuff that the nfl doesnt do yet.

I love good grilled short rib, it's a really nice piece of meat, well-marbled, can be really chewy but a good tenderizer will make it softer. They have some good korean bbq places around here but i usually cant stomach paying $25 for like a lb of meat when i know i can buy it for 1/3 the price at a store. But sometimes it's nice to go out and eat and be waited on and served and not have to deal with cooking and cleaning up.

I dont watch much college football so i usually dont keep up with the draft, although people have been talking up nick bosa all year so i guess he'll be the next big thing. Other than that i cant say i have any favorite prospects, i read an article about will grier, the west virgina qb who started off at florida and got pushed out when they changed coaches. Apparently his younger brothers are big time 'influencers' on social media, like twitter stars or whatever.

Kyler Murray is an interesting prospect, he declared today he's returning most of his signing bonus from the A's and will be concentrating solely on football. I guess as a QB, you cant really divide your time between the two sports like Bo and Deion did.

Other than that, the draft seems like such a crapshoot to me, seems like youre just as likely to find a star from the 3-6th rounds as you are from the 1st and 2nd rounds.

Another interesting thing is that the raiders have mike mayock as GM, so now an espn 'draft expert' has a chance to make real picks, we'll see if he's any good.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i feel the same about this years draft
i dont see any really stand out players who i think should be the #1
how many of them are game ready is another thing , but depending on team need there could be some good young prospects
i like bosa and hear the comparisons between him and his older brother, both good and bad
ed oliver gets some hype too and i would like to see some combine numbers on him
you arent concerned about k.murray being only 5'11"
i bet you are right thoe and this draft could have a bunch of high value players in the later rounds
i hear you about not wanting to pay a ton of money for something i could make myself
another thing i like to do is try new foods at restaurants and then make them myself at home
the mix he used was mama citas toscine mix and it was pretty good
i am kind of confused about the browns signing hunt too, but i could see himplaying a season away from the nfl
like you said, they already have a feature back in chubb so hunt would be kind of redundant
i agree with you on chubb having the potential to be one of the top backs in the league
/if its try now they have a chubb,johnson and a k.hunt

Latest posts

Latest posts