What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

It looks like J Sessions is getting his way....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Here’s an interesting article…we’ll see how things play out.

Paul Waldman: Why Jeff Sessions' marijuana crackdown is going to make legalization more likely

The emerging legal picture is murky, since a lot depends on the individual decisions federal prosecutors will make. The political picture is somewhat clearer: this is bad news for Republicans.

By Paul Waldman | For The Washington Post · 2 days ago

Jeff Sessions hates marijuana. Hates it, with a passion that has animated almost nothing else in his career. “Good people don’t smoke marijuana,” he has said. He even once said about the Ku Klux Klan, “I thought those guys were OK until I learned they smoked pot.”

He says that was a joke, but even so, it still says something about where he’s coming from.

So if you’re wondering why Sessions has endured the humiliation of being demeaned and abused by President Donald Trump and stayed on as attorney general, one big answer is the policy change he announced this week: He is rescinding an Obama-era directive that instructed federal prosecutors not to prioritize prosecuting businesses like dispensaries in states that had legalized cannabis. Sessions is finally getting the chance to lock up all those hippies, with their pot-smoking and their free love and their wah wah pedals and everything immoral they represent. He’ll show them.

So what happens now? The emerging legal picture is murky, since a lot depends on the individual decisions federal prosecutors will make. The political picture is somewhat clearer: this is bad news for Republicans.

Let’s start with the legal questions. The 2013 Obama administration letter that Sessions rescinded, called the Cole memo, told federal prosecutors that in states that had legalized marijuana, they should use their prosecutorial discretion to focus not on businesses that comply with state regulations, but on illicit enterprises that create harms like selling drugs to children, operating with criminal gangs, selling across state lines, and so on. In other words, prosecutors could still fight the drug trade, but if a state has legalized marijuana and put in place its own regulatory system, they should leave those operating within that system alone.

There’s also a provision in the federal budget known as the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment that forbids the Justice Department from using any resources to interfere with the provision of medical marijuana in states that have legalized it. Right now there are 29 states that have put in place some kind of medical marijuana system, in addition to the eight states (plus Washington) that have either legalized possession of small amounts of marijuana or set up a regulated system for the commercial sale of the drug. The most important is California, which as of the beginning of this year has legalized sales for recreational use.

So is every U.S. Attorney in those eight states immediately going to start busting down the doors of marijuana dispensaries?
“I don’t think so,” said Tamar Todd, Senior Director of the Office of Legal Affairs at the Drug Policy Alliance, whom I spoke to this week. “There’s plenty of drug law to enforce” when it comes to the illicit market, she noted, and federal prosecutors rely on cooperation with state authorities in much of their prosecutions of drug cases.

Going after state-licensed dispensaries or grow operations, furthermore, would leave federal prosecutors isolated. In states with legal marijuana systems, such a crackdown produce an outcry from both Democrats and Republicans, in addition to state government and law enforcement officials. Federal prosecutors “lack the resources to go into California and enforce the marijuana laws against everybody, so federal interests are really best served by them teaming up and working with the states,” Todd says, “not using their resources to disrupt how the states are trying to responsibly regulate, which is just going to cause more harm for everyone.”

That doesn’t mean that a motivated U.S Attorney — a Sessions mini-me, if you will — couldn’t go on a crusade in his or her district and start prosecuting every marijuana operation in sight. While the Obama administration policy let states know they could craft their own regulations without fear of the feds coming in and wrecking everything they were trying to do, now there’s much more uncertainty.

“It does open up the opportunity for the rogue U.S Attorney who’s not about protecting the public but is more about an ideological opposition to legalization,” Todd said, “to prove that legalization doesn’t work by creating chaos and disruption.”

Even if that doesn’t happen, or happens only here and there, the Trump administration has sent a clear message to the public that it wants to turn back the clock on our nation’s drug laws. There’s no doubt that Jeff Sessions is sincere in his desire to do so, but politically it could be a disaster. According to the latest Gallup poll, 64 percent of Americans favor legalization, including a majority of Republicans. There could be a dozen more states considering some form of legalization this year, either in their legislatures or through ballot initiatives, which will only bring more attention to the issue and set people’s own states against the administration. Just this week, the Vermont House of Representatives voted to legalize personal possession and cultivation of marijuana, and the bill is expected to pass the State Senate and be signed by the governor. They won’t be the last.

That the Trump administration is doing something so unpopular will put a lot of Republicans in a very awkward position, particularly if they come from a state like Colorado or California — precisely the representatives who are going to be most vulnerable in this November’s elections. Many of them have released outraged statements condemning the decision, but it might not be enough to convince voters not to punish Trump by voting them out. A member like Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (whose California district was won by Hillary Clinton in 2016) can cry to his constituents that he opposed the marijuana crackdown and the tax bill (which cut back their deduction for state and local taxes), and they might listen. But in a year of a Democratic wave, they might also just decide to sweep him out with the rest of the GOP.

So the end result of this policy could well be to accelerate the liberalization of the nation’s marijuana laws. A backlash could help more Democrats get elected and push elected Democrats to more unambiguously support legalization. Don’t be surprised if every Democrat running for president in 2020 favors ending the federal prohibition on marijuana and returning the question to the states. One potential candidate, Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., has already introduced a bill to do just that.

Which will set up an interesting dynamic, in which Democrats are the ones arguing for pushing back against the heavy hand of federal power and letting states decide for themselves what they want to do. The traditional GOP position on states’ rights was always opportunistic, something they favored only when states were doing something they agreed with. But that will just be one more reason why this is an issue Republicans want to run away from, and Democrats are eager to talk about.

So Jeff Sessions may get what he wants for now. But in the end he probably did a great service to the legalization movement.

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/comm...wn-is-going-to-make-legalization-more-likely/

'Boogieman'

Here’s an interesting article…we’ll see how things play out.

Paul Waldman: Why Jeff Sessions' marijuana crackdown is going to make legalization more likely

The emerging legal picture is murky, since a lot depends on the individual decisions federal prosecutors will make. The political picture is somewhat clearer: this is bad news for Republicans.

By Paul Waldman | For The Washington Post · 2 days ago

Jeff Sessions hates marijuana. Hates it, with a passion that has animated almost nothing else in his career. “Good people don’t smoke marijuana,” he has said. He even once said about the Ku Klux Klan, “I thought those guys were OK until I learned they smoked pot.”

He says that was a joke, but even so, it still says something about where he’s coming from.

So if you’re wondering why Sessions has endured the humiliation of being demeaned and abused by President Donald Trump and stayed on as attorney general, one big answer is the policy change he announced this week: He is rescinding an Obama-era directive that instructed federal prosecutors not to prioritize prosecuting businesses like dispensaries in states that had legalized cannabis. Sessions is finally getting the chance to lock up all those hippies, with their pot-smoking and their free love and their wah wah pedals and everything immoral they represent. He’ll show them.

So what happens now? The emerging legal picture is murky, since a lot depends on the individual decisions federal prosecutors will make. The political picture is somewhat clearer: this is bad news for Republicans.

Let’s start with the legal questions. The 2013 Obama administration letter that Sessions rescinded, called the Cole memo, told federal prosecutors that in states that had legalized marijuana, they should use their prosecutorial discretion to focus not on businesses that comply with state regulations, but on illicit enterprises that create harms like selling drugs to children, operating with criminal gangs, selling across state lines, and so on. In other words, prosecutors could still fight the drug trade, but if a state has legalized marijuana and put in place its own regulatory system, they should leave those operating within that system alone.

There’s also a provision in the federal budget known as the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment that forbids the Justice Department from using any resources to interfere with the provision of medical marijuana in states that have legalized it. Right now there are 29 states that have put in place some kind of medical marijuana system, in addition to the eight states (plus Washington) that have either legalized possession of small amounts of marijuana or set up a regulated system for the commercial sale of the drug. The most important is California, which as of the beginning of this year has legalized sales for recreational use.

So is every U.S. Attorney in those eight states immediately going to start busting down the doors of marijuana dispensaries?
“I don’t think so,” said Tamar Todd, Senior Director of the Office of Legal Affairs at the Drug Policy Alliance, whom I spoke to this week. “There’s plenty of drug law to enforce” when it comes to the illicit market, she noted, and federal prosecutors rely on cooperation with state authorities in much of their prosecutions of drug cases.

Going after state-licensed dispensaries or grow operations, furthermore, would leave federal prosecutors isolated. In states with legal marijuana systems, such a crackdown produce an outcry from both Democrats and Republicans, in addition to state government and law enforcement officials. Federal prosecutors “lack the resources to go into California and enforce the marijuana laws against everybody, so federal interests are really best served by them teaming up and working with the states,” Todd says, “not using their resources to disrupt how the states are trying to responsibly regulate, which is just going to cause more harm for everyone.”

That doesn’t mean that a motivated U.S Attorney — a Sessions mini-me, if you will — couldn’t go on a crusade in his or her district and start prosecuting every marijuana operation in sight. While the Obama administration policy let states know they could craft their own regulations without fear of the feds coming in and wrecking everything they were trying to do, now there’s much more uncertainty.

“It does open up the opportunity for the rogue U.S Attorney who’s not about protecting the public but is more about an ideological opposition to legalization,” Todd said, “to prove that legalization doesn’t work by creating chaos and disruption.”

Even if that doesn’t happen, or happens only here and there, the Trump administration has sent a clear message to the public that it wants to turn back the clock on our nation’s drug laws. There’s no doubt that Jeff Sessions is sincere in his desire to do so, but politically it could be a disaster. According to the latest Gallup poll, 64 percent of Americans favor legalization, including a majority of Republicans. There could be a dozen more states considering some form of legalization this year, either in their legislatures or through ballot initiatives, which will only bring more attention to the issue and set people’s own states against the administration. Just this week, the Vermont House of Representatives voted to legalize personal possession and cultivation of marijuana, and the bill is expected to pass the State Senate and be signed by the governor. They won’t be the last.

That the Trump administration is doing something so unpopular will put a lot of Republicans in a very awkward position, particularly if they come from a state like Colorado or California — precisely the representatives who are going to be most vulnerable in this November’s elections. Many of them have released outraged statements condemning the decision, but it might not be enough to convince voters not to punish Trump by voting them out. A member like Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (whose California district was won by Hillary Clinton in 2016) can cry to his constituents that he opposed the marijuana crackdown and the tax bill (which cut back their deduction for state and local taxes), and they might listen. But in a year of a Democratic wave, they might also just decide to sweep him out with the rest of the GOP.

So the end result of this policy could well be to accelerate the liberalization of the nation’s marijuana laws. A backlash could help more Democrats get elected and push elected Democrats to more unambiguously support legalization. Don’t be surprised if every Democrat running for president in 2020 favors ending the federal prohibition on marijuana and returning the question to the states. One potential candidate, Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., has already introduced a bill to do just that.

Which will set up an interesting dynamic, in which Democrats are the ones arguing for pushing back against the heavy hand of federal power and letting states decide for themselves what they want to do. The traditional GOP position on states’ rights was always opportunistic, something they favored only when states were doing something they agreed with. But that will just be one more reason why this is an issue Republicans want to run away from, and Democrats are eager to talk about.

So Jeff Sessions may get what he wants for now. But in the end he probably did a great service to the legalization movement.

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/comm...wn-is-going-to-make-legalization-more-likely/

I agree with most of the article with an exception. In my state Jim Lucas is pushing heavy for legalization and he is a younger Republican.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I agree with most of the article with an exception. In my state Jim Lucas is pushing heavy for legalization and he is a younger Republican.
I would agree with that, Rohrabacher is a republican and co-sponsored the amendment to protect medical. I’m sure there are others too that see the federal law as antiquated. I think the article’s premise was more along the lines of “guilt by association.”

Easy7

Veteran
The current leadership (GOP) may be the diagnosis or symptom before the 'cure'. It's a complicated issue of how people are thoroughly messed up and cannot tolerate nature. From deep age old religous points of view, to legal drugs like tobacco, alcohol, and the psychiatric drugs.

My mom jokes about wanting to take the paddle boat out in the pond and smoke a j before she dies. She had cancer 2x and turned down peoples offers. But she used and at times abused (drank alcohol on it) ativan. She takes an ssri and that can have some pretty wild reactions with cannabis. There is a cross tolerance between ssri's and 5ht hallucigens, so that indicates some hallucinogenic action by the ssri.

I don't think humanity is going to survive in space all that well were we are. So a 100% synthetic reality is not likely. There is the way of nature or the industrial war machine. Either way egos are attached to their comittment and will defend their lifestyle. I myself don't blend well with the machinery of industrialization. My desire to use plant medicines is not supported. So I have no real choice and take a med that costs $2400+ a month. Half that would keep me thoroughly medicated with ganja growing it for a whole year. I did it for a lot of years and the legal pressures were too much. So I am bitter about that and want to see very much the pro-cannabis movment win more battles. Then on to other plant medicines.

All wars are about the mind. But people are disgustingly attached to controlling other peoples hearts and minds. They do not win either.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I would agree with that, Rohrabacher is a republican and co-sponsored the amendment to protect medical. I’m sure there are others too that see the federal law as antiquated. I think the article’s premise was more along the lines of “guilt by association.”

When you lay down with the dogs...

igrowone

Veteran
sessions is becoming very inconvenient for the biggest tax windfall that the state/federal governments have beheld since the introduction of income tax in the usa
he is becoming the turd in the tax punchbowl
which will win? i don't think there's a doubt on that one

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i don't believe Trump is really wanting to go after state-legal weed. i think he is trying to do ANYTHING to distract folks from the investigations into his family businesses & the election clusterfuck. do not bother replying "well, Hillary should be investigated!" that is absolutely true, she should. her & Trump would look good cuffed together & perp-walked off into a prison somewhere. myself, i would like to see them put into a cage & given Bowie knives to fight to the death...then, we could hang the winner. :woohoo:

rolandomota

Veteran
I think its funny. Nothing will happen. You will keep seeing states legalize like with medical and congress will keep on not changing federal laws and spending bills will keep on getting amended to tie the hands of overzealous federal law enforcement officials. And the little guy will keep on being shut out and locked up for not paying the price play with the big boys. I wonder if anyone will make the sale of an ounce legal between adults. It already kind of is since its legal to posses and give away for lol "free"

Nughugger

Americans we do what we want aint scared

Funny how the cops dont even know cannibis law

Bring it on at this point it may cause dissolution of the federal government not constitutional any way

Take a fat ass Americans pot or burrito is the best way to kick off trouble

Food sucks already sold out to corporate interest quality food gone got to grow it yourself for safety and even then probably be oversprayed by commercial ag

Not feeling like rolling over for anyone

Gotta get my 50 posts sorry everyone

Save seeds of the food you like

I love trump

Law is only law when people accept it

Theres fifty and once again im sorry about blowing up this thread been trying to pm i cant so sorry

Last edited by a moderator:

Easy7

Veteran
How about people pull their tribal heads out of their ass and only give the administration 3 more years!!!

3 years is not nearly enough time to do major damage, as dumb as they are.

Nughugger

I'm sorry mod I'm not much a computer guy still learning. Long time reader but still new to posting. Thank you for your help. Please forgive my shortbus computer skills. Nothing but love on my end

igrowone

Veteran
you know, it looks like sessions is really not getting his way
this is getting a bit funny

from NBCnews
The state senate in Vermont on Wednesday passed a bill authorizing the recreational use of marijuana. The legislation now goes to Governor Phil Scott who has indicated he'll sign it. The bill would eliminate penalties for possessing up to one ounce of pot and up to four marijuana plants. The bill does not regulate the sale of marijuana.
Eight states so far have legalized marijuana for recreational use, including Massachusetts. With a quick vote on Wednesday, Vermont will soon be the ninth. The Vermont State Senate approved the bill one week after lawmakers in the Vermont House of Representatives voted in favor of it. Governor Phil Scott indicated he'll sign it. And many people aren't complaining.

"I think it's a good thing because honestly it does more help than anything. It doesn't affect your body in any way," said Vermont resident Mark Vanantwerp. The measure will allow adults over the age of 21 to possess up to once ounce of marijuana. They're also allowed to have two mature plants or four immature plants. Some residents said they're disappointed lawmakers didn't go far enough. There's no mechanism in the bill to regulate the sale and taxation of the drug. People could still get into trouble for sales and distribution of larger amounts.

"I feel like if they legalize it in Vermont there would be a lot less arrests," Vanantwerp said.
Some also said lawmakers should have used a public referendum, like the other eight states were recreational pot is legal, instead of doing it on their own. Nonetheless, they're calling this a good step forward for cannabis advocates and those who believe the drug does more good than harm.
"It helps me. It calms me down. I'm not the same person. It's more mellow," said Vermont resident Jessica Button.
The law would take effect on July 1.

G

you know, it looks like sessions is really not getting his way
this is getting a bit funny

from NBCnews
The state senate in Vermont on Wednesday passed a bill authorizing the recreational use of marijuana. The legislation now goes to Governor Phil Scott who has indicated he'll sign it. The bill would eliminate penalties for possessing up to one ounce of pot and up to four marijuana plants. The bill does not regulate the sale of marijuana.
Eight states so far have legalized marijuana for recreational use, including Massachusetts. With a quick vote on Wednesday, Vermont will soon be the ninth. The Vermont State Senate approved the bill one week after lawmakers in the Vermont House of Representatives voted in favor of it. Governor Phil Scott indicated he'll sign it. And many people aren't complaining.

"I think it's a good thing because honestly it does more help than anything. It doesn't affect your body in any way," said Vermont resident Mark Vanantwerp. The measure will allow adults over the age of 21 to possess up to once ounce of marijuana. They're also allowed to have two mature plants or four immature plants. Some residents said they're disappointed lawmakers didn't go far enough. There's no mechanism in the bill to regulate the sale and taxation of the drug. People could still get into trouble for sales and distribution of larger amounts.

"I feel like if they legalize it in Vermont there would be a lot less arrests," Vanantwerp said.
Some also said lawmakers should have used a public referendum, like the other eight states were recreational pot is legal, instead of doing it on their own. Nonetheless, they're calling this a good step forward for cannabis advocates and those who believe the drug does more good than harm.
"It helps me. It calms me down. I'm not the same person. It's more mellow," said Vermont resident Jessica Button.
The law would take effect on July 1.

First off good for them. Secondly the quantities are whacky. One once per adult or a couple mature plants? So when I harvest a couple plants and have at least 4-5 ounces or more what then? Smoke till I only have one left :woohoo: ??

In reality, a majority of both parties support legalization. Even Republicans are pissed at Sessions over this. He's literally the last guy on Earth still stuck in the Reefer Madness mindframe & determined to lock up every last (Black & brown) non-violent drug user on Earth...because we know that's who's always most affected by these crackdowns--the poor & minorities. I think that's where his hatred of pot stems from. After all, this is the man who once said the KKK was an alright organization UNTIL HE LEARNED SOME OF THEM SMOKE POT. No, I'm not making that up.

I'm just anxious to see where this leads or what changes, if anything. I live in the most illegal of illegal states so I've got nothing to lose, but I'm still mad as hell about it. Same with the FDA's war on kratom & CBD. They're trying to take away every single avenue people have to manage their own health. We shouldn't even have to be fighting our own government for the RIGHT to put certain things in our bodies, ffs.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
First off good for them. Secondly the quantities are whacky. One once per adult or a couple mature plants? So when I harvest a couple plants and have at least 4-5 ounces or more what then? Smoke till I only have one left :woohoo: ??

as for the extra ounces, if left at home (how long ARE your roadtrips, anyway?:biggrin:) unless you are looked at as a seller, i doubt they will come to your house & check. but then, i have my first buzz in a spell, so...so shoot me, i'm trying to be an optimist here. :)

igrowone

Veteran

as i understand it, the 1 oz is the carry around limit
the 2 mature plants and processed plant material is less clear to me
i'm thinking that inside your home, you're good

Jhhnn

Veteran
as i understand it, the 1 oz is the carry around limit
the 2 mature plants and processed plant material is less clear to me
i'm thinking that inside your home, you're good

That's how it is here in CO, spelled out in A64.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts