What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2018

Americangrower

Veteran
I agree Baba Brady's fantasy numbers were down (I don't play fantasy) but that had to do with Edelman being out 1st 4 games and taking a lil bit to get going after.

Mostly because of Gronk, he kept trying to throw to him instead of being his normal self and finding the mismatch. Gronk has lost a step and isn't the receiver he was, but he is a force in the run blocking scheme as he showed last game. Of course if you sleep on him he will sneak down the middle of the field for big yardage.

Oh and playing Det/Tenn with then knowing the audibles didn't help as well.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
cold temps are hard for some teams but i think for kc/ ne it wont be as much of a factor
we just had some storms roll throgh the west coast this week so they might make their way to the midwest by the weekend, i hvaent checked the weather expected at kickoff...
until now, did you know accuview has a forecast for arrowhead stadium?
sundays should be cold but sunny but there is going to be snow on fri/sat
29* temp at kickoff

the mrs is a great helper in the kitchen
i guess you are right tho, that its not authentic katsu chicken style but more like katsu strips
but anything that increases surface area and gives you more room for sauce and crunch isnt that bad
that zimmer guy is a mad man!
that is so funny that he would turn his nose up at spam;after some of the stuff this guy will eat
ive seen this guy eat ballut (or whatever the phillipinos call the fermented duck eggs) and not bat an eye but he wont eat spam...
go figure
the part of san diego i grew up in had a huge phillipino population and ive seen that shit first hand
the thing you dont expect is the smell... i cant describe it but it wasnt the smell of soemthing you would want to eat
like fermented salty murk, i cant think of a way to describe it better but i wouldent even try it
the mrs and girl love poke bowl
im not a fan of fish so im not really down, but those things are super popular around here

Americangrower

Veteran
Just a random thought, but NFL must hate LA and KC fans. I mean look Saint's vs Rams a west coast team and a team that has a dome. Pat's vs KC play outside in cold.

Ok lets put the outside teams on at night/evening and the dome team on at 1 pm even though it's 10 am for LA.

So instead of 29 or 30 degrees it should be around 0 by half time. lol

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I just noticed that, they put the outdoor game at night (well, 540pm CST) and the indoor game at 2pm cst. Although it's a noon game for west coast peeps, not 10am, unless im completely wrong.

Gronk definitely had a down season, he finished TE #11 in fantasy scoring when he was drafted as TE #1 on average. And missing Edelman for 4 games for PEDs hurt brady as well. I thought chris hogan would pick up some slack, he seemed on the rise a year or two ago, he has good size speed and hands but for some reason he has like 1 or 2 good games a year and that's it.

I think gronk was dealing with back and leg injuries this year and tried to play through it to meet some of his performance escalators in his contract but once he realized that wasnt happening, he shut it down for a few weeks to get healthy (think that was week 10-12 or so? it was over their bye). Then he had one good game when he came back but after that, he barely gets targets anymore, it's all james white and edelman as the main guys now. Still a mean ass blocker and ur right, u still have to cover him when he goes out on a route.

Give credit to the patriots coaching staff for readjusting their offense to a more RB oriented team, with michel and white as the power runner and the pass catcher. That if anything gives them the only chance i see against the chiefs, grind it out on the ground, sustain long drives, keep mahomes and hill and kelce on the sidelines sitting in that cold.

You would think freezing temps would affect passing, Pop, doesnt it make the ball feel harder? Not that it bothered brady last week, he threw for 350yds. But maybe the cold deflated the ball. Heh.

You not a fan of fish in general, Pop, or just raw fish? I like fish, although my preference would be beef, chicken and pork first, in that order. But i can only stomach so much raw fish at one time, i like sushi well enough but cant eat like huge amounts of it before i start to feel ill (the unagi, which is cooked eel, is fine though).

I didnt see the filipino episode of bizarre foods but did see one of him in alaska, and they had something similar where they buried raw salmon eggs in a jar on the beach and then weeks or months later dig it up and eat the fermented eggs; he choked down a spoonful but yeah, he said the smell and taste were strong and not pleasant.

Besides spam, only times ive seen him stop eating a bizarre food were fertilized ducks eggs in china (there was an almost completely formed chick in the one he tried, he said it was way too far along) and fish cooked in some indonesian (not sure, somewhere in asia or the pacific though) village where there were these huts built over the water in a river, and a family was cooking him fish in their hut, but he only ate a little because he saw some dude pooping in the river the next hut over and they were washing the deboned and skinned fish in the river, and he was like yeah theyre washing their food in the same place they pee and shit, thats not appetizing at all...

Both conference championship games are expected to be close, home teams are favored by 3 to 3.5.

Im going to go out on a limb here and say the rams win by 3, and the chiefs win by 7. Who's with me?

Americangrower

Veteran
you are right they changed the times from last I saw them, originally they said 1 something and 5 something. Still doesn't make much sense to me, but I will be sitting home watching it in front of the woodstove.

The colder it gets the better the Pats chance of winning. Ball won't deflate in the cold because NFL say's that doesn't happen. I have a Well's investigation ongoing right now because my tire light comes on every time temp drops. It has to be Brady letting the air out.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i think everything hurts more in the cold, baba' but im not used to it
i look at it like elevation, if you are used to the conditions it just feels "normal"
/sure its cold but thats how it always is
i think it would have been different if the chargers were going to kc

great observation,americangrower
it would make sence to play the outdoor game earlier
i thnk the rams play at like 12p our time, high noon
you know i will be locked and loaded in front of the tv before then
cant wait

i like fried fish and shrimp, but thats not really seafood i guess
i dont really eat grilled fish, (maybe a bit of salmon every now and then) but fish is not one of my favorite food
i can handle a bit of sushi but i will only have so much sashimi (the raw stuff)
i dont mind the unagi because its usually grilled (placed under the salamander) but i dont really go for most of it
/i just stick with the regular rolls
the mrs goes ham on all of that stuff
so i was talking wiht my assistant at work about the weekend and what im going to eat
/yeah thats pretty much what i talk about food and football
he mentioned how he had a dream recently about eatting cevichi and it got my hat spinning
so we are going to have a more mex spread for sunday, im making shrimp cevichi and we will have bean tostadas too
chips and salsa are on the list too
i will prob grill up some carne asada because i have to get my meat on but im stoked for the cevichi
its almost like mexican sushi i guess!
im with you all the way brother and think the rams can beat the saints
as far as kc/ pats ill get behind the young gun slinger and go with kc

yeah weekend!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
What, AG, you've never played D&D before? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salamander_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

But seriously, i think it's called a salamander because of the fire resistant lizard from medieval folklore
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grilling#Salamander

Back then, a salamander was just a piece of iron you would heat red hot and then pass over the food you wanted to brown.

Having a restaurant type salamander would be dope, although i guess your oven's broiler or a toaster oven would do the trick as well, for melting cheese, etc. Do they cook unagi in a salamander in sushi places, or just use a torch to pass a flame over it a few times because it comes pre-cooked, like in the Asian grocery store?

Hey Pop, shrimp (or as i like to call it, shramps) is definitely seafood! Or poor man’s lobster, some call it. But I guess some people make a distinction between shellfish and fish.
I think food and drink is very related to football, look at tailgating, or any gathering of people to watch a game, there’s always food and drink. That ceviche sounds awesome, are you putting fish and shrimp in there? Ive only had ceviche a couple times in my life but it’s great when done right.

Youre too funny, AG. But Brady doesn’t deflate his own balls he gets one of the equipment guys to do it and then later passes them some money or signed gear as payment.
Woodstove, huh? That must be nice and hot. You use charcoal or natural wood? Is there a fan or vent system to vent that hot air throughout the house?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i never knew that about the hot piece of metal
it makes sence and like you said im sure you could use your ovens broiler to brown the meat up
some people love scrimps but i pretty much just stick with the fried shrimp or an occasional shrimp cocktail
the mrs and girl will eat all the shrimp no matter how its cooked
the mrs will even eat the shell on the smaller ones that are like flash fried
ive had cevichi with fish in it but i think we are just going with the basic shrimp cevichi
the store has med sized ones on sale so im going to get about a pound or so
chop it up kind of fine and then cover it in lemon or lime juice and add chopped onion, tomatoes and cillantro (or just use some good pice de gallo)
if you like it hot you can add jalapenos and the mrs likes to put tobasco on hers
growing up my neighbors mom used to make it with catsup and that was good too
its super easy to make and its a good game time snack
i hear you about food being a big part of people gathering and celibrations
what is on the menu for you guys?

so i hear the bears might be making an offer to k.hunt
of course he has to be reinstated first but i think it is a gutsy move and can only improve their offense
i totally think he deserves a second chance and he is a big upgrade to almost any backfield

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah, i think you could literally use a coal shovel (clean of course) if you didnt have a proper salamander; i guess the need to brown the top of foods (like meringues) didnt come around that often so it wasnt a popular tool.

Everything is better fried, but you ever eat the whole shrimp at chinese restaurants, with the shell and head on? They say it makes the shrimp juicier when u leave those parts on, but i dont know, chewing up that shell isnt all that pleasant to me. And ive eaten a few shrimp heads before, i guess it's juicy, just wish they would take those long antennae off first. You see someone chewing, with antenna sticking out their mouth, looks like they just ate a big bug...

Dont u put some bell peppers (green, red, yellow etc) into ceviche too? I could see how it's very easy to make, other than the chopping part there's no actual cooking time on a stove or in an oven.

I made a big pot of spaghetti and a big pan of pasta carbonara today, that should last us through the weekend. It snowed a bunch here last night so spent most of today shoveling it up, i could go out and get some food tomorrow but may just huddle up and stay indoors , got plenty of other food to make too if i feel the need...

Huh, I totally missed that hunt signing with the bears story. I guess nagy would be ok with signing him, despite his legal issues, since they worked together in KC in 2017. We'll see what happens in the offseason and what kind of punishment goodell drops on him. He's a good runner and receiver, not sure how elite he is since damien williams has taken his place and is doing very well, and that dude barely got on the field for the dolphins before signing with KC last year. Plus i could see people protesting signing him, that video wasnt as bad as ray rice but still bad enough. Might be more trouble than it's worth, they already have 2 pretty good RB's, although hunt is more well rounded than both.
If the offense is going to be better next year, it will be because trubisky has improved as a QB, not because they signed Hunt. Just my 2 cents.

Americangrower

Veteran
What, AG, you've never played D&D before? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salamander_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

But seriously, i think it's called a salamander because of the fire resistant lizard from medieval folklore
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grilling#Salamander

Back then, a salamander was just a piece of iron you would heat red hot and then pass over the food you wanted to brown.

Having a restaurant type salamander would be dope, although i guess your oven's broiler or a toaster oven would do the trick as well, for melting cheese, etc. Do they cook unagi in a salamander in sushi places, or just use a torch to pass a flame over it a few times because it comes pre-cooked, like in the Asian grocery store?

Hey Pop, shrimp (or as i like to call it, shramps) is definitely seafood! Or poor man’s lobster, some call it. But I guess some people make a distinction between shellfish and fish.
I think food and drink is very related to football, look at tailgating, or any gathering of people to watch a game, there’s always food and drink. That ceviche sounds awesome, are you putting fish and shrimp in there? Ive only had ceviche a couple times in my life but it’s great when done right.

Youre too funny, AG. But Brady doesn’t deflate his own balls he gets one of the equipment guys to do it and then later passes them some money or signed gear as payment.
Woodstove, huh? That must be nice and hot. You use charcoal or natural wood? Is there a fan or vent system to vent that hot air throughout the house?

I burn wood from the backyard. Love my woodstove/insert and free wood. Yes it has a blower that heats the whole floor, I need another 1 for downstairs fireplace. So far I have used 1/2 tank of oil heating downstairs, so for Ma that's pretty good.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
its game day!
sounds like hold your fire is suited up and ready for the action to begin

do you mix the meat into the sauce or make the sauce then add meatballs?
Ive been making my sauce meatless lately and then just simmering it with browned meatballs
i like it both ways tho and to me spaghetti is cant miss
isn’t carbonara made with egg as part of the sauce?
They both sounds awesome man
Yeah I added in some red bell peppers to the cevichi just for the splash of color and a little more crunch
The mrs loved it and im glad we made a bunch yesterday
The mrs eats the whole shrimp like that, head and all; its supposed to be like lobster and the stuff inside the head is where the flavor is at she says
Im not really down with that and will peel them first and take the heads off
I was surprised when I heard about the bears showing interest in hunt, but like you said there is history with the coach and I think the guy has a lot of talent
It would make for a lot of good two back sets teaming him up with howard and cohen and who would not want another weapon to the offense
There could be some protest around town, but it seems now days you will always have someone who dosent like whatever and has to make some noise
Im sure the league is watching that angle very closely and who knows if he will even get to come back
We will see how it all shakes out for hunt and in some peoples eyes im sure he will always be the bad guy in all this

This is it guys: Championship football!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
How much snow u guys get, HYF? Seemed like we got a good 6-8 inches round chicago, took a good bit to shovel that up, it's really too deep to just push it all the way. All i can say is: lift with ur legs, not ur back.
Good luck for your pats, hope it's a good game, cant say ill be rooting for them though, sorry.

Yeah, AG, old school heating methods are the warmest. Had an apt once with only a window unit for a/c but had old school steam/hot water radiator heating. U could bump up the heat to 80-90F in the winter if you wanted, like sweating balls in my living room hot, and gas bill was well under $100/mth. Try doing that with modern gas furnace forced air heating, you'll be paying $300+ a month.
Bonus with a woodstove is you can cook on it too, right? Like a french top, keep pans and pots on top, stuff in the middle is hottest, stuff on the edges is simmering?

I browned and drained a few lbs of ground beef separately, and mixed some in with the sauce before putting in the noodles. Made the sauce days earlier, used one of those big cans of peeled san romano tomatoes from sams club, crushed it with my hands in the pan, cooked it for about half an hour and added salt, pepper, a bunch of oregano (too much really, imo), made a decent quick red sauce. But i had been using the sauce for dipping purposes, like a marinara, so shamefully i must admit i mixed a good deal of ketchup into the meat sauce before adding the noodles. Worked out ok, added some sweetness to the product, and i dont mind a bit of sweetness to my spaghetti.

Ur right Pop, carbonara pasta sauce is basically raw egg mixed with parmesan cheese. Think standard recipes call for more egg yolk than egg white, though i havent noticed too much of a difference using 3 whole eggs as opposed to 2 whole eggs and 2 extra yolks. And the first time i made it i didnt have parmesan but used shredded cheddar and still turned out ok. The noodles are usually spaghetti and the meat is usually bacon or italian bacon (pancetta), i used bacon and chopped up spam, fried up together. :biggrin:
I think the key is to dump the egg/cheese mixture over the noodles and meat when it's about 140F, hot enough to melt the cheese and but not hot enough to cook the egg. I usually drop in the drained noodles into the meat in the pan, let that heat up for a minute or two, stirring it around, then take it off the heat, let it sit for a minute, dump the egg/cheese mix on top spreading it around a bit, let that sit for a minute, then take tongs and start mixing and tossing it around, coating all the noodles, melting the cheese etc.
The woman really likes it, i like it too, it's got a creamy, rich taste, but usually i prefer regular old tomato based pasta.

Tarik had a really good year under nagy, think he finished as a top 12 RB fantasy wise, Jordan howard was barely used but still finished with almost a 1000 yds rushing.

Kareem hunt would be an asset on the team, im just not looking forward to all the talk about his past every game he plays if he signs with the bears.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
QB Jared Goff
LAR
@
NO
3:05PM
$8,000
SALARY

James White
RB James White
NE
@
KC
6:40PM
$7,700
SALARY

Alvin Kamara
RB Alvin Kamara
LAR
@
NO
$8,100
SALARY

Robert Woods
WR Robert Woods
LAR
@
NO
$7,100
SALARY

Sammy Watkins
WR Sammy Watkins
NE
@
KC
$5,600
SALARY

Brandin Cooks
WR Brandin Cooks
LAR
@
NO
$6,900
SALARY

Josh Hill
TE Josh Hill
LAR
@
NO
$4,600
SALARY

Julian Edelman
FLEX Julian Edelman
NE
@
KC
$7,900
SALARY

New England Patriots
DEF New England Patriots
NE
@
KC
$4,000
SALARY

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Two wild and crazy games. Both my teams won. A little worn out right now. Sorry for the Saints on that call. I got the Pats winning the Super Bowl even though I am in California. Just gotta be honest I think they are the better team.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
NFL is Rigged... I always knew the League was Shady as hell .. that call in the Saints/Rams game is the worst call I've ever seen in my life

shithawk420

Veteran
That would of been called a personal foul against the Rams normally.saints should of won.mirin that 57 yrd field goal though.

The Chiefs probably should of won too.roughing the passer? He BARELY even touched Brady! And all those other bogus calls....FUCK THAT AND FUCK BRADY! if parkey didn't suck so bad the BEARS COULD BEAT ANY OF THOSE TEAMS!!!FUCK IM PISSED!

Latest posts

Latest posts