What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2018

Storm Shadow

Veteran
So I hit on my fanduel lineup last week....Doubled up... here we go again

QB Drew Brees
PHI
@
NO
$8,700
SALARY
Alvin Kamara
RB Alvin Kamara
PHI
@
NO
$8,400
SALARY
Ezekiel Elliott
RB Ezekiel Elliott
DAL
@
LAR
$8,700
SALARY
Amari Cooper
WR Amari Cooper
DAL
@
LAR
$6,800
SALARY
Ted Ginn Jr.
WR Ted Ginn Jr.
PHI
@
NO
$4,500
SALARY
Mike Williams
WR Mike Williams
LAC
@
NE
$6,600
SALARY
Rob Gronkowski
TE Rob Gronkowski
LAC
@
NE
$6,200
SALARY
Damien Williams
FLEX Damien Williams
IND
@
KC
$6,100
SALARY
Indianapolis Colts
DEF Colts
IND
@
KC
$4,000
SALARY
Cancel

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Nice, Storm. Did you put all your winnings down again, and try to quadruple up this week? Time to go HAM (hard ass mother effer)...

Well, chiefs exorcised some playoff teams and beat the colts handily, holding their offense to 6 pts (vinatieri missed an xp and a chip shot FG) and giving up a td off a blocked punt. The chiefs D plays a lot better at home than on the road, and while not a great unit they do rush the passer pretty well and made life difficult for Luck. This was my first extended look at Luck all season, i thought he played pretty well despite the score, moved well, evaded pressure when he could, threw accurately but had a lot of drops. And that kenny moore dude for the colts, he was everywhere, he's a CB but had 2 sacks, breaking up passes, making tackles. It's unheralded players like that that can really fill out a defense and bring it to the next level. Maybe colts-chiefs will be the new colts-patriots rivalry for the next 10 years?

Rams ran all over the cowboys last night. CJ anderson was let go by 3 teams this season, all of whom finished with losing records, but once sean mcvay sprinkled his magic pixie dust on him he became a fatter, more powerful version of todd gurley. Goff didnt have to do much, threw a bunch of shorter passes and didnt get sacked once (like u said, Pop, throw quick passes to avoid pressure) but kept the chains moving. They had 20 first downs in the first half, the record for a playoff game is 37 by the patriots in that ridiculous superbowl against atlanta.

Dak had a cold stretch between the 1st and 3rd quarters but starting hitting some deep passes in the 2nd half and kept the game within one score. Games like this and last week make me think he could win a superbowl someday, even though he too often looks like quincy carter more than troy aikman.

iTarzan

There are my picks. Colts, Patriots, Cowboys and Eagles.

Colts vs Eagles... #6 vs #6 in the Super Bowl sounds good to me.

The Patriots were the only team I got right. Back to earth I go.

The Colts game was weird. If you told me they would only give up 7 second half points and 31 all game I would have taken it and figured a Colts victory.

The Colts fizzled out, too many penalties, too many drops and a weak performance by Luck. The Chiefs look vulnerable. I think the Pats are going to work them over. I hope they beat the Patriots but I don't think they will.

I was really, really rooting for the Eagles. They had the game within reach. The self proclaimed "best hands in the NFL" Jeffries ends up the goat. It will be a long offseason for him.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
A Colts lineman got called for a McCringleberry "3 pumps" penalty after sacking Mahomes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGJb2iLvOKE

Giving up 31 pts is actually a lot, Tarzan, but ur right, the colts could have bettered that if their offense had a good day. But give credit to the chiefs, they held mack under 50 yds and were in luck's face all day. Thats why i think theyll beat the Patriots next week, theyre going to pressure brady and not let him sit back and pick apart a zone defense.

Really disappointing game by the chargers yesterday, after being down 4 tds at halftime it was garbage time from there. I guess they tried the same thing they did last week, play 3 safeties at LB and drop back into zone? Brady is 10x the passer lamar is, and the patriots were ripping off big runs all game as well. Plus the fact their D looked like the chargers D last week against the ravens, just giving no time for Rivers to make a play. Chargers made the score more respectable at the end but overall they just didnt compete well. Ah well, eff Dean spanos.

I missed most of the saints-eagles game but kept checking the score, eagles were up all of the 1st half, even when the saints took a lead i thought big dick nick would lead them to a go ahead score, but yeah tarzan, alshon had a pass bounce off his hands into marshon lattimore's for a game ending INT and that was that. Saints D has been impressive, the O not so much.

I actually think the rams will beat the saints next week, just because brees hasnt been playing great. Before, i thought maybe it was because they were away games, and he plays much better at home, now he's in the playoffs and every team is good and playing well, and donald and suh are going to be in his face all game, talib and peters will switch off on michael thomas, if they can bottle up kamara and ingram i could see the saints scoring less than 20...

MrBungle

The playoffs haven't been good at all this year.... not even 1 exciting game or catch or anything... yawn fest

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Thank You for that last second INT by Foles... My squad won again... Im not betting much bro...just a bill and not next game 2 bills... Fanduel/Draftkings just makes watching football 100x more fun for me... Im a huge fantasy football person ..

KC looks good... Maholmes vs Brady is going to be epic

Americangrower

Veteran
The playoffs haven't been good at all this year.... not even 1 exciting game or catch or anything... yawn fest

I disagree, the wildcard weekend games were all good. This weeks games went as expected, there's a reason why teams are #1 and #2. Because all year they proved they are the best. Sure they lost some games down the stretch but most losses were because players that were nicked up were rested.

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
A Colts lineman got called for a McCringleberry "3 pumps" penalty after sacking Mahomes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGJb2iLvOKE

Giving up 31 pts is actually a lot, Tarzan, but ur right, the colts could have bettered that if their offense had a good day. But give credit to the chiefs, they held mack under 50 yds and were in luck's face all day. Thats why i think theyll beat the Patriots next week, theyre going to pressure brady and not let him sit back and pick apart a zone defense.

Really disappointing game by the chargers yesterday, after being down 4 tds at halftime it was garbage time from there. I guess they tried the same thing they did last week, play 3 safeties at LB and drop back into zone? Brady is 10x the passer lamar is, and the patriots were ripping off big runs all game as well. Plus the fact their D looked like the chargers D last week against the ravens, just giving no time for Rivers to make a play. Chargers made the score more respectable at the end but overall they just didnt compete well. Ah well, eff Dean spanos.

I missed most of the saints-eagles game but kept checking the score, eagles were up all of the 1st half, even when the saints took a lead i thought big dick nick would lead them to a go ahead score, but yeah tarzan, alshon had a pass bounce off his hands into marshon lattimore's for a game ending INT and that was that. Saints D has been impressive, the O not so much.

I actually think the rams will beat the saints next week, just because brees hasnt been playing great. Before, i thought maybe it was because they were away games, and he plays much better at home, now he's in the playoffs and every team is good and playing well, and donald and suh are going to be in his face all game, talib and peters will switch off on michael thomas, if they can bottle up kamara and ingram i could see the saints scoring less than 20...

The Rams having 2 guys over 100 rushing yards each against that Dallas d ...Wow!:crazy:

Pats and Rams in SB.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
hey fellows, what a wild weekend of football!

it took multiple 100+yd rushers for the rams to beat dem'boys but they did it
chalk this one up to sean mcvay and the ground attack, plus some good D thrown in to seal the deal
i was expecting a lot of the run game because of the bad field conditions and anderson and gruley both delivered on the ground
/the field wasnt half as bad as i was expecting but the sidelines looked like a swamp
goff did what he had to do and the rams d played like they wanted to win!
especially when it counted dallas could not get anything going and were like 1 for 10 on third downs
rams defensive player of the game has to be the dallas lineman who racked up an "in the grasp" sack against prescott
pats/chargers had just enough action to make it interesting but was never in question who was in charge
pats D was able to keep rivers and co off ballance most of the game and brady played like a champion
with no real preasure from the pass rush, brady showed why he is goat and chewed up the chargers zone defense
/you are right baba and it looked like they tried to run the same 4-7 defense (or some variation) for most of the game; why they werent blitzing on more is beyond me
the score dosent reflect the play of the game and most of the chargers points came in garbage time
pats had this one early on
colts/kc was a good game and it felt like kc took the drivers seat and never let off the gas
the indy ground game never got on track and luck looked out of sync
mahomes came to play and i just might have to buy into this kid; hes playing like an all pro and no one has been able to stop him
saints/ philly was a fun game all the way and had you going till just about the end of the game
if someone asked who'dat i would have to say it was sean peyton
it took a couple gutsy coaching calls and a drive that lasted all of the third quarter to get the saints on track after the eagles took charge early on
/the saints racked up a lot of yards but it seemed like they were also getting hit with a lot of penalties so the net gain was bad
the eagles looked strong on both ends and but in the end they gave it up to the saints with a ball that went right through a receivers hands into the defenders lap
/i actually felt bad for this guy

yeah brother, chili powder and cumin are good spiced to build off of
it all depends on your tastes
we like garlic so i also add a ton of garlic and onion powder, plus a touch of celery salt
this time we also got the "mexican" seasoned tomatoes in the store, but you can go with just regualr ones too
we brown the meat off in a skillet first and then transfer it all into a crock pot so we cook for like five plus hours
i go really light on the salt so i dont really miss it much but you can always add that alter to taste
its pretty simple but has a lot of flavor
this weekend we might have some asian style chicken wings and katsu chicken, hawaiian style bruddah'
i know its early but we are planning things out
i cant wait for the next weekend!

rams baby!

Last edited:

Americangrower

Veteran
The charger's have been using a 7 db defense 90% of the time, since they played the patriots last year. People only started noticing it when it was brought up by broadcaster's last game. Pat's did exactly what you should do against it, fullback n halfback with a runningback who can catch out of the backfield.

This is why I said Harbaugh should be fired, he knew that's what they were going to do and didn't gameplan for it.

MrBungle

Championships might be interesting, but I still stand by my assessment of a lame playoffs this year... the lamest in a long time... The only game I didn't watch was the cowboys seahawks.... and that might've been the best one...

I think the rules and officiating is affecting the outcomes of these games too much now.... lame as hell

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah, i think in the divisional round, home teams (the ones with the byes) win something like 85% of the time, it's one of the surest things in sports.

I agree with AG, some playoff games have been blowouts but more often they've been pretty close, within a score at the end. Sometimes one team was up big early but had to survive an onside kick attempt to close it out (cowboys vs seahawks, chargers vs ravens) but overall, except for the two afc games this past weekend, theyve been pretty competitive.

I love fantasy football but never got into daily fantasy, Stormshadow. But i guess it's a great tool to scratch that football and gambling itch. Hope you keep winning brother.

Im not sure why the patriots were able to run so effectively on the chargers and the ravens couldnt, AG. Guess i'd have to look at the game film again, which i wont. :biggrin:
But ill take ur word for it. The patriots have been a very effective running team all year, given brady's relatively down year as a passer, and michel and white are better than gus edwards and buck allen. Gronk isnt what he used to be as a receiver but he still blocks very well, better than any TE on the ravens.

I thought the chargers would play better but for whatever reason they just didnt have it last week. And give credit to the patriots, theyve still got the best coaching in the league, and would have finished with the #1 seed in the afc if not for a ridiculous game ending double lateral against miami.

Those are great summaries of the games, Pop. I hope this sundays conf championship games are just as wild. I think they will be very close.
Thanks for detailing the recipes a bit more, they sound great. It's good you dont salt it too much, i agree, to me garlic powder gives dishes a 'salt-like' flavor, and ur right if the eater wants more salt it's easy to shake some on it.

Ive used the cans of mexican tomatoes and peppers, it's like chopped up green chilis with the tomatoes, but there's not much heat. Those would be great to make chili (stew), maybe not so much for spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce.

What's hawaiian style katsu chicken? Does it have pineapple or spam on top? :biggrin:

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i think the chargers base defense is a 4-3, but the play ingram off the line a lot
they have a good secondary who can hit so i can see them playing a lot of nickle/ dime packages
/with the way d.james hits he is just like a linebacker
i think the difference this last game was they were never able to put pressure on brady with their front four
if you give him time brady will pick apart any coverage, esp zone
looks like rivers is hurt and wont be playing in this years pro bowl

i think this years playoffs have been fun with some new teams joining the mix
the defending super bowl champs were able to sneak in at the last minute but in the end the top seeded teams showed why they were able to win all those games
this mahomes kid is playing like his hair is on fire and i hope he can continue his progression
the chiefs were a piece or two away from jumping to the next level and he just might be the piece needed
the afc west hot right now and this will only get even beter once denver gets itself together
/btw, f'spanos
what i like the most about the final four teams are how they are all solid teams with great coaches!
three teams have legit hof coaches and mcvay is well on his way

yeah the mexican tomatoes with chopped green chilis are the ones baba
it has more flavor than just the regular diced or stewed tomatoes, they also have italian style with oregano
it just adds another layer of flavor
no spam or pineapple on my katsu,but maybe i will make a bunch of musubi to spam it up
katsu chicken is basically a country fried chicken but you use panko bread crumbs and top it with katsu sauce
pound out some chicken into flat pieces like you would a for fried chicken steaks and coat them in seasoned flour, dredge in some eggs wash then mash them into panko bread crumbs
fry that up and drizzle katsu sauce over the top
/my mom makes her own katsu but i just buy it in jars
serve with whit rice and two scoops of mac salad and its on brother!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I get what ur saying AG, and overall his 2018 season stats (29tds, 11ints) compare pretty well with his 2017 MVP stats (32tds, 8 ints) but he needed a 4td game in week 17 against the bills to get there, before that he was at 25tds 11 ints, which would be great stats for someone like trubisky but obviously brady is a different standard.

More than that though, it just seemed that this season there seemed plenty of times, or even whole games, where brady wasnt the reason they were winning, his fantasy counting stats were down especially the 2nd and 3rd month of the season, and a lot of analysts were watching the games and saying it feels like the patriots are doing well in spite of brady, not because of him. 8 of the 16 games he played brady threw 0 or 1 td. He used to be a solid top 5 fantasy QB, and this year he was more like #10-12 or so most of the season. But obviously it's not all about stats, and the patriots kept winning with a very good run game, and now theyre back in the afc championship game for an 8th straight time. Previous record was 5 in a row, by the john madden raiders in the 70s, and then some teams with 4 in a row, including the aikman cowboys and the infamous bills run of 4 superbowl losses.

Mahomes is very impressive, Pop, and i think there's a good chance he'll throw 50tds again in his career. The other qb's who threw 50 tds, one was brady in his 8th season, one was peyton in his 15th season. Mahomes did it in his 2nd season, having started only 1 game (week 17) his rookie year. I mean, that's the definition of precocious. And he's got a way stronger arm than peyton or brady does, and just as much accuracy.

Another cool thing about the championship games is that they're all rematches. Patriots beat the chiefs at home on a last second field goal, set up by gronk catching a long pass against some defensive backup who never plays. Saints beat the rams at home also, but it was tied up in the 4th before they won by 10. So now, patriots have to go to arrowhead (set the record for loudest outdoor stadium) and the saints offense hasnt been lighting the world on fire the last few weeks like they were earlier, so i think you'll see different outcomes this week.

Ah, hawaiian style katsu chicken, meaning with white rice and 2 scoops of macaroni salad, as opposed to japanese style, which is just with white rice and maybe a cold seaweed salad or something (at least in restaurants). Sounds delicious.

It's been ages since i bought boneless skinless chicken breasts, mostly i just buy whole chicken and bone in chicken thighs. And seriously, i think ive only pounded out chicken breasts a few times in my life, for things like chicken parm or chicken cordon blue (filled with ham and cheese) when i wanted to try a recipe i found online.

The lazy part of me thinks, why do i have to do all this beforehand? But yknow, the meat is soft enough that it takes less than a minute of pounding to get it thin, and it does make the cooking so much quicker and easier...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
yeah it seems like a lot of extra work
if you cut the breast into strips you could probably skip that step
i like it because it cooks fast and evenly
sometimes we serve it with a asian salad but this week im totally craving carbs and fatty goodness
i get the bone in thighs too, those are my favorite for the grill
so im hearing that the temps in arrowhead are going to be brutally cold this weekend
both teams seem to be used to the weather so it shouldent be too much of a factor
did you see the last game how the fans were raining down snowballs on the colts players?
im expecting more of the same
luckily the rams are playing inside of a dome but you know its going to be loud
im with yuo and think mahomes will have another 50+td season and if anyone could break the record for most td passes in a season i think it will be him
hope your week is wrapping up nicely and you are all set for the big games this weekend

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Belichick was asked about playing the freezing temps, and he said he loves playing in championship games, they'll be there. Heh.

Youre right, Patriots play in new england, it's not like theyre not used to the cold. That was also one of the factors working against the chargers last week, river's record when the temp at kickoff is below 32F is like 1-4.

Is there supposed to be a decent amount of snow again this week in KC? Youll always have a few knucklehead fans throwing some snowballs.

Flattening out chicken breasts is an extra step in cooking but if you have a helper it shouldnt be too bad: one pounds out chicken, one cooks on the stove. But if it's a one man operation then it makes the whole process longer, but chicken breasts are so unevenly shaped, thin and pointed at one end, thick and rounded at the other end, that evening out the shape with some pounding really helps. But cutting into strips sounds easier, although then is it really katsu chicken? More like katsu strips. But if it tastes the same, with that nice crunch and the sweet sauce, who cares?

You gotta love hawaiian cuisine, with the spam and the macaroni salad, poke bowls, etc. Even if most of it isnt really that healthy, it's not any more unhealthy than most traditional american foods (hamburgers, pizza, fried chicken etc). Im just reminded of that bizarre foods guy, andrew zimmern, turning up his nose at spam sushi when he was in hawaii. I guess he didnt like that it was so processed, and salty and fatty (but thats what makes it taste good!) but this is a guy who eats the vaginas and anuses of anything that flies or walks or crawls but oh, try to feed him spam and he's like "gross".