What's new

SEEDS, Biggest and Smallest?

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Sam - the Thai seeds I got recently from this 'stick' are huge - up to 4mm long:

On the other side, many of my Flo F2 seeds are very small indeed - I'll take some pics later with some others for a side-by-side comparison.

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Cambodian Sativa landrace seeds, brought back from North Cambodia. The smallest are about the size of a large sand pebble, doesn't even register on my Triton T2.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Here's a comparison of a few seeds of mine. The Skunk#1 X Flo are what I would call 'average' size, to give some idea of scale, with the Thai, Malawi and BD all a little larger than average - the Thais are also shown in close-up:

I'm also basing my scale on the fact that I do a lot of fishing, and in the UK, we use a lot of Hemp seed as bait - both as loose feed thrown in (as a fish attractant), and as a hookbait (quite a challenge to put on, but very effective nonetheless).

Obviously that has led to demand for large seeds, and the largest I have ever seen are from Chilean Hemp - I buy kilo bags at the fishing tackle shop for around £2, and they're probably a third again the size of these Thais. They're claimed to be sterilised to prevent growing, but there's no point, as it's industrial hemp. And it does grow...:)

The hemp is soaked for 24 hours and then cooked until the shells just split, showing the kernel. Fish, not surprisingly, go crazy for it, and can eat vast quantities. You can also now buy it ready-cooked, and fake plastic versions for the visually-challenged angler - they work just as well, BTW, suggesting that most fish may also be visually challenged when in a feeding frenzy...:)

G

I live in the US I have never heard of using seed for fish.....

You see our govt is so paranoid even our fish cant use cannabis....

Thanks for that....

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Many more species of fish in the US are carnivorous (like bass, etc.) and largely eat other fish, hence the popularity of lure and fly fishing. Many of the British and Euro species are, whilst not vegetarian, far more omnivorous (and hence less edible), and so seed baits are very popular, along with all the grubs, etc. Maize (tinned sweetcorn) is unbelievably good as bait, especially strawberry flavour, but this is a whole other topic...:)

Secret tip for US trout anglers though - they adore sweetcorn too - Green Giant is fine. You will catch twice as much as you will on any artificial. They think it's salmon eggs... :chin:

G

Sorry about the shitty picture. The seeds on the right are what I consider average size. The little ones on the left are Panama Red

ganjalf

The biggest one is ca 5 x 3 mm, the smaller one ~ 2.7 x 1.7mm. Someone borrowed my scale some two years ago, and still haven't returned it, so no weights.

7594Seedscm.jpg

7594seedsinch.jpg

Edit: Big seed = Sage Small= Purple something X Big Bud

Last edited:

JLP

Veteran
Don't know the weight or size but the eyes are G-13 F2 and the smile is ZamalxWarlock.

JLP

Reactions: zif

beancounter

Veteran
Sweet Tooth #3 and LUI have given me the biggest seeds so far, by far.. 5mm+ in length, and that was flowered/seeded under floros, which make slightly smaller seeds than outside or HID.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
It is hard to compare these without a reference in the photo, or a weight or size measurement. The common way to measure is seeds to the gram, or a thousand seed weight, or by mm with a ruler. I use seeds to the one gram.
I have big ones that are 12 to the gram, small that are 800+ to the gram. They are 9mm X 6mm and 2 1/2mm X 1 1/2mm. I will take a photo and post it but my digital camera sucks at micro close ups. I will try anyway.
BTW, I grew and made both the big and the small seeds.
-SamS

Last edited:

Bonzo

Veteran
Smallest seeds ive ever had were Hashplant, very healthy though and all germed. I still have a few and i would defenitely say 2 1/2 mm at most.

peace

bonz

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nam myoho renge kyo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ktaadn

The biggest I've ever seen were Cream Sodica. I lost that strain along with many others in one fell swoop unfortunately.

I've got a few micro seeds from a cross I made last year, and have been considering running a line with these just for kicks. I want to see what difference there is in the micro seed plants vs. the others.

Here's a pic of the "micros", and also the same ones next to a normal sized seed from the same parents.

Alex-F

Traktor driver
Veteran
From looking at my seed stash I get the feeling that sativa seeds are generally smaller than indica or indica dom ones, can anyone confirm that? :chin:

Latest posts

Latest posts