What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CMH vs Doble ended vs Single endend

Semaccio

I try ro read all the post about light but are too long and without definitive solution.

So what is today the best light solution for efficency, power, spectrum?

Thank you

MJINC

For Efficiency and Spectrum I would look at the 630W CMH(I've seen amazing results with the Dimlux expert series). About the only reason I didn't get them was the price was coming out to nearly double what I was being able to get Gavita's for.

Semaccio

For Efficiency and Spectrum I would look at the 630W CMH(I've seen amazing results with the Dimlux expert series). About the only reason I didn't get them was the price was coming out to nearly double what I was being able to get Gavita's for.

Can you link me some relust? I'm searching and reading but without find any solution.
I read CMH is the TOP but I don't find any thread to find photo and I don't think they worth the money.

E.s 1000w ballast 130$ + Hortlux bulb 75€ + Adjust a wing 120$ = 325$ for a good light with a good ballast can u dimmer for all the growing phase.

A CMH light (dimlux or philips) cost 450$ and is only 315w vs 1000w
My doubt are big because I read someone tell 315w CHM is better than 1000w HPS but I don't find photo of growing just lab test.

Thank you for the answer

Muleskinner

Veteran
Efficiency:

400V HPS lights like Gavita, P.L. Light 600w, 750w, 1000w (includes double-end and single) 1.9 umol/J

CMH lights - 1.75 umol/J

200v HPS lights (EyeHortilux, most other bulbs 400w-1000w) max. 1.7 umol/J.

LED - 1.5 - 2.7 umol/J depending on fixture

You can argue whether one spectrum is better than other....these numbers reflect total PPF (PAR) which is all the light used by plants. I think it's true that CMH and some LED spectrums can outperform HPS, but very few do better on raw useable light power. HPS always gave me dark green leaves, rapid growth, and huge, dense colas. Nothing wrong with it. I used EyeHortilux HPS to veg as well for years and it worked great for that too.

Semaccio

Efficiency:

400V HPS lights like Gavita, P.L. Light 600w, 750w, 1000w (includes double-end and single) 1.9 umol/J

CMH lights - 1.75 umol/J

You can argue whether one spectrum is better than other....these numbers reflect total PPF (PAR) which is all the light used by plants. I think it's true that CMH and some LED spectrums can outperform HPS, but very few do better on raw useable light power. HPS always gave me dark green leaves, rapid growth, and huge, dense colas. Nothing wrong with it. I used EyeHortilux HPS to veg as well for years and it worked great for that too.

You are right, I don't see cmh or led do better than hps se/de I think my choice is nanolux 1000w de? what do u think about it?

Eyehortilux is the best bulb u can buy but in italy is impossible to find and i have to buy online BUT the desire to try something new like DE is biggher :D

Thank you for the answer

heatherlonglee

315w CMH will seriously disappoint you in weight of harvest. Anyone who says they're equal to anything but a 315 watt bulb are just plain wrong.

Muleskinner

Veteran
You are right, I don't see cmh or led do better than hps se/de I think my choice is nanolux 1000w de? what do u think about it?

The nanolux 1000w looks good to me - the specs say it uses a 2100 umol bulb, the same as the Hortilux Philips bulb, that would be 1.9 umo/J efficiency.

If I was in Europe I'd try to find a Hortilux NXT2 fixture, you can plug it right in to your home outlets. In North America they can't be used without wiring a new 240v circuit. I don't know anything about Nanolux, it sounds good.....Hortilux definitely makes all their stuff in Holland to very good quality:

http://www.hortilux.com/products/hse-nxt-2

I do like the color and spectrum of CMH, but it's so easy to buy a 1000w HPS fixture. To get the same light out of CMH you have to use more bulbs, there is no 1000w CMH bulb. The Philips 1000w bulb lasts 2.5 years also which saves money.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Efficiency:

CMH lights - 1.75 umol/J

Where did those numbers come from?

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I am still using a twin bulb 800 w fixture from 2013 as a supplement to LED in the bud room. I have bookmarked a 630 w CMH bulb, reflector, and ballast to replace the old school CMH.
The single bulb 400 w squarewave fixtures will continue to be used.

The long wave infra red (900 nm-3000 nm) is not yet available in home use LED at any price.
The double ended CMH allows more intensity in a given space than single bulb units. The efficiency differences between types when used in hobby gardens is small enough to not have an effect on the home grower.

Supplementing forty acres of open tunnel greenhouses with 50,000 bulbs for commercial flower growth is a whole 'nother story and a major driver of the industry we benefit from.

Semaccio

The nanolux 1000w looks good to me - the specs say it uses a 2100 umol bulb, the same as the Hortilux Philips bulb, that would be 1.9 umo/J efficiency.

If I was in Europe I'd try to find a Hortilux NXT2 fixture, you can plug it right in to your home outlets. In North America they can't be used without wiring a new 240v circuit. I don't know anything about Nanolux, it sounds good.....Hortilux definitely makes all their stuff in Holland to very good quality:

http://www.hortilux.com/products/hse-nxt-2

I do like the color and spectrum of CMH, but it's so easy to buy a 1000w HPS fixture. To get the same light out of CMH you have to use more bulbs, there is no 1000w CMH bulb. The Philips 1000w bulb lasts 2.5 years also which saves money.

Hortilux and philips have the best bulb; d-papillon 1000w de is a dream but a bit expensive but maybe Il'' buy

I have a question about what is the best grow tent for this ligh i think a square isn't too good becaue the light is more from the side than in front and back.

315w CMH will seriously disappoint you in weight of harvest. Anyone who says they're equal to anything but a 315 watt bulb are just plain wrong.

I see nice grow report on 315w but nothing more than a 400w HPS

SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH and thank you for the answers

Last edited:

couchlockd

You should never dim HID bulbs.

They burn at a specific temperature, and are compromised of a mixture of gases that burn at a specific temp.

When you dim them it lowers the temp and some of the blend never reaches full luminosity.

When that happens, when burned again at full power,the spectrum is drastically shifted (maybe not visible to us, but to the plants very much so)

So you effectively ruined your bulbs optimised spectrum

Semaccio

You should never dim HID bulbs.

They burn at a specific temperature, and are compromised of a mixture of gases that burn at a specific temp.

When you dim them it lowers the temp and some of the blend never reaches full luminosity.

When that happens, when burned again at full power,the spectrum is drastically shifted (maybe not visible to us, but to the plants very much so)

So you effectively ruined your bulbs optimised spectrum

Very nice point of view can you prove it or give me something I can read :)

Thank you

couchlockd

Very nice point of view can you prove it or give me something I can read :)

Thank you

Give hortilux a call, they will explain it better.

You can see it yourself when you first strike a bulb.

Its color changes from purple blue red them at full temp that warm orange glow.

Those are the different gases igniting at the temps upon starting.

Nor until full temp is reached all gases are burning in concert and full spectrum is reached.

Just think, at the halfway point of starting, those gases that are making light blue purple looking are burning at their peak, the gases that create the whole spectrum never get to burn because their temp is not reached.

You are now ruining the chemistry of the bulb.

Any manufacturer worth while does not recommend dimming bulb. (Regardless of packaging stating otherwise).

Its just pure physics.

But just give eye a call the fine man there will break it down and provide you links.

We've touched on this subject about 5 years ago here on Icmag.

Fwiw, do not take my post count as a direct relation to my experience.

I been a member since 2006, forgot password and login and created a new account in 2010.

Been at this since 2002.

Koondense

Veteran
HID lights don't burn, the gasses just get excited by electric pulses and throw out photons.
But the bottom line is, if not properly excited(when dimmed) the output shifts in spectrum and intensity, so in my opinion it's not worth doing it in any case.

Muleskinner

Veteran
Urban-Gro, the P.L. Light distributor for the US cannabis industry, advises NOT dimming HPS bulbs. It changes the spectrum and also reduces the lifetime of the bulb. When you run the bulb at full wattage again it's going to be dimmer. Why would you want to damage your $80 bulb?

P.L. light (same company as Hortliux in Holland) supplies 75% of the lights used in commercial (non-cannabis) agriculture. Gavita is a sort of an imitation P.L. Light for the cannabis industry. The dimming is just a gimmick for stoners basically.

Dimming works much better with LED, the spectrum remains identical and it doesn't damage the lamp.

couchlockd

HID lights don't burn, the gasses just get excited by electric pulses and throw out photons.
But the bottom line is, if not properly excited(when dimmed) the output shifts in spectrum and intensity, so in my opinion it's not worth doing it in any case.

Urban-Gro, the P.L. Light distributor for the US cannabis industry, advises NOT dimming HPS bulbs. It changes the spectrum and also reduces the lifetime of the bulb. When you run the bulb at full wattage again it's going to be dimmer. Why would you want to damage your $80 bulb?

P.L. light (same company as Hortliux in Holland) supplies 75% of the lights used in commercial (non-cannabis) agriculture. Gavita is a sort of an imitation P.L. Light for the cannabis industry. The dimming is just a gimmick for stoners basically.

Dimming works much better with LED, the spectrum remains identical and it doesn't damage the lamp.

What ya think semaccio?

Here's some veteran members echoing what I stated?

Thank you
:comfort:

Muleskinner

Veteran
it's getting easier to figure this stuff out, just ask the professional cannabis people, I was able to talk with the Urban Gro people at a recent convention and the subject of dimming HPS came up.

They told me to buy a 600w fixture rather than buy a 1000w and run it at lower settings.