What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

And The Sh!t Hits The Fan

D

Durdy

Hello all :wave: Though it was about time to start up the summer grow thread for myself.

This year the greenhouse is a bit bigger then last.
Took Doublejj's carport idea and made it happen!

It's the one from Walmart $94 With 6 mil plastic covering everything except the ends which have shade cloth.

There are 6 100 gallon smart pots which are home to Blue Dreams, Trainwreck, Romulan, and Three mysto strains cracked from beans i got as freebies called "SB Mystery Mix, Female Seeds" or something of that nature.

The soil mix is nothing special, a pile I got delivered to my yard then added some coco and some perlite I had lying around.

I've also added 280w of lighting (incandescent shop lighting)to make the plants think the days are actually 18 hours long. The come on from 3am to 630am and again from 8pm to 9pm

THe Greenhouse is anchored down with Reg Blocks on each leg, then two more reg blocks tied to the spine at either end. I also Added hanging pots inside to help hold her down and not torque as much (they also look pretty :))

In between the 100 Gals I'll probably turn a few rubbermaid totes into containers for some extra plants I have

Also Just for fun I planted different varieties of carrots around the base of each ganja plant in a 100 gals. Heard Carrots and Herb Grow good together.

So onto the pictures I hope you enjoy them, and I hope you'll stick around through the season!

Questions? Comments? Complaints?

:tiphat:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Blue Dreams
picture.php

Mystery Seed #1
picture.php

Mystery Seed #2
picture.php

Romulan
picture.php

Myster Seed #3
picture.php

Trainwreck
picture.php

Assorted Other Plants that may or may not get flowered out
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

D

Durdy

Doublejj - Thanks! your grow last year was truly inspiring :) I hope to achieve some similiar results! and can't wait to see how it goes this year! very excited.

intotheunkown - Glad to have you checking in. Stick around for when it gets interesting!

Maj.cottonmouth - me2 :) when i can drink a beer in the shade of my ladies i shall be stoked!

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Title hooked me, I'm in. haha

I mean, who doesn't like to watch a 100 Gallon Smart Pot grow.... let alone a whole F'ing greenhouse.

Lol, Carrots.... Hope you don't have any wabbits out there.

D

Durdy

Milehighguy - Glad to have you hear my ganja growing friend! yes you gotta love the 100 gals, I'm sure they'll treat me right :) and theres a few wabbits but I'm willing to share the carrots as long as they leave my buds alone! hahaha

Cheers
:ying:

How much did the greenhouse come to once you finished it? I take it the $94 was for just the carport right, no plastic/shade cloth? It looks great! If your going to use those light fixtures to maintain veg you might as well swap the incandescents out for the biggest cfls you can get. Then the plants would be benefiting from the lumens.

D

Durdy

Supersmallgiant - I feel ya on the CFL. My original thought on using the incandescents was to keep it low profile. I just wanted it to look like back yard lights, but If I used higher kelvin CFL they'd prob be the same color huh? like 6500 or so?

And in terms of price lets take a look at the reciepts and break it down :)

-Carport = 94$
-Reg Blocks = $0.83 x 9 = $6.64
-Incandescent Bulbs = $2.88 (for a 4 pack)
-Zip Ties = $14.97 (300 pack I used about 100)
-Plastic worklight Covers = $6.16 x 4 = $24.64
-Outlet Adapter = $9.97
-Rope = $6.48
-Thicker Rope = $9.97
-6mil Plastic 10' x 25' = $22.98 x 2 = $45.96
-Shade cloth = $26.03 x 5 = $130.15

Total Cost to build greenhouse = $345.66

Disco - Glad to have ya here :tiphat: To quote a member from my last summer greenhouse thread It's gonna be like day of the Triffids in there! hehehe:jump:

G

Guest 88950

im in to watch this grow. id love to have a similar set up but too paranoid about controlling the smell.

sitting under the trees would be nice but a hammock would be the shit.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
:lurk:

I've always wondered this about these (doublejj's) grows.. Are these set up in your lawn/driveway, in a neighborhood? Or are we out in the boonies?

Just wondering - my concern would be neighbors going "Oh great, wtf is going on in THERE?!"

(I've been considering buying a lean-to greenhouse, to put alongside the shed, .. For both legitimate purposes, AND medicinal. .. But that's the fear! The sore-thumb fear.)

PROPS!

EDIT: SSH raises a good point. If this is in a residential area, .. No concern about the stink factor?

Ooooooh, I really admire some folks cajones. Not their balls, just their cajones.

;)

D

Durdy

SSH - hahahaha funny you should say that......I already bought the hammock, now i just need to figure out the logistics. ideas?

Silver hawaiian - If they didn't care last year I'm not to worried this year :)

but in addition the hanging pots in there have some stinky plants in them, thyme, rosemary, lavender, some flowers of assorted variety.

Around the rest of the yard there is more lavender and more flowers. But if smell is what's keeping ya from pulling the trigger on something like this have you considered a low to no smell strain? I know there out there.

:blowbubbles:

silver hawaiian

Veteran
SSH - hahahaha funny you should say that......I already bought the hammock, now i just need to figure out the logistics. ideas?

Silver hawaiian - If they didn't care last year I'm not to worried this year :)

but in addition the hanging pots in there have some stinky plants in them, thyme, rosemary, lavender, some flowers of assorted variety.

Around the rest of the yard there is more lavender and more flowers. But if smell is what's keeping ya from pulling the trigger on something like this have you considered a low to no smell strain? I know there out there.

:blowbubbles:

I think the ladyfriend would murder me for having big fat stinky(ish at best) buds just a few feet from the neighbor's yard. :)

I really do admire and appreciate the gall to do a project like this man.

I see the shade material on the ends of the house, but what's on either side of it? (the long sides) I'm wondering about visibility/access to get "up close" to the sides and peek..? Is the view obstructed by bushes, a fence, .. ?!

Sorry to be all inquisition-like (again). I'm really fascinated by the setup though!

:dance013::dance013::dance013:

silver hawaiian

Veteran
..And I can't imagine there's enough thyme, rosemary, lavender, and fresh flowers in that setup to mask big fat donkers. :D

Endur

Veteran
hey..hey :wave: Durdy,
Very nice start mang.
Looks like there are three of us, here on tha forums, running these carport Greeny Houses. lol
I'm sure there will be a couple more pop up soon. :)

We'll need to compare our Blue Dream..over tha season. She's also in a 100 gal SMP.

Liking how you are growing veggies/flowers. I'm about to pull some carrots real soon.

Keep It Durty mang...
Peace
Endur...

Yeti

I guess I'm not too sure on the setup either and have never grown in the confinement of a greenhouse, however even my stinkiest strains tend to not stink beyond maybe 50 ft.
And although I've never grown skunky strains, the fruity, chocolate, sweet, spicy, and coffee aromas are something I don't think most would correlate with marijuana growing.

Also, using Christmas lights on a timer provides enough light to keep them on schedule. When outdoors, with the exception of HID light you will not gain much more from the incandescent, fluorescent or compact fluorescent light than timing. Even HID mostly keeps them only in the desired photoperiod, besides in times of very minimal daylight hours. (i.e. winter). The relative intensity of light is vast between even HID and our glowing sun, and only slightly more between that and incandescent or LED christmas lights. Something to consider if stealth may be an issue. My pals use Christmas lights with no issues and hardly a bump in energy or noticable light from the greenhouse elsewhere. Hope it helps.

I love the ingenuity of this greenhouse design. I know many people who will not build a greenhouse due to expenses, and this provides a simple solution to that issue. Thanks for the show. I'll be stopping by occasionally here I'm certain.

Yeti

D

Durdy

Silver Hawaiian - No worries my friend, I love questions!

The 6mil plastic rolls I bought were too perfect for covering one 10'x10' chunk of the greenhouse, two of them took care of it without any cutting of plastic.

Originally I was gonna use shade cloth for the sides as well but it was outta my price range, it would've added an extra $180.00 dollars onto my final build bill.

There are some lovely things providing some privacy for my greenhouse.

On one side is a 6 foot tall fence between the greenhouse and the neighbors yard, on their side of the fence are some trees and bushes that would keep them from lurking too too close to the fence.

On the other side of the greenhouse are some very tall Loquat trees and a citrus tree, they completely conceal the greenhouse from view in the rest of the yard. People can be over and have no idea theres another 200 square feet to the back yard (unless they start roaming of course)

The house on another side is now vacant, and if someone was living there they have large tree's in their yard that obscure the view of the greenhouse.

and there are large 13' tall bushes on the other side. So it's a fairly private backyard. Fully enclosed.

And yea the herbs are gonna be no match for the stank of the ladies come the fall, but hey they sure are pretty :)

D

Durdy

Endur - Good to have another fellow Carport greenhouse grower here :wave:

Your set-ups looking very nice as well! I love the pallets! I needa find me a few of those and some trusty friends to lift the beasts.

Would you be worried about the wood holding moisture and rotting later on? or would that just be over thinking it? I bought these stones to raise my pots and well they just conform around them completely so I used them to start building a path haha.

I suspect we shall see some more soon, there to cheap and easy to not build!

I'm very excited to finally be growing some Blue dreams, I got the cut from a good friend whose been rocking some indoor grows with it for awhile now. The final product has that killer blue dreams smell and those day dreamy mellow but up highs.

Mmmmm carrots......I'm most excited about the Cosmic Purple and the Tongi di parigi

I shall keep it durdy my friend, happy growing!

Yeti - Nice to have you here :)

Yes! Christmas lights were the original plan (I saw it in some threads last year) but i totally spaced and got the shop lights in my greenhouse shopping spree at the store! That was a very fun trip to the store. You shoulda seen the look on the girls face when i originally asked for 240' of shade cloth.....priceless. (Funny thing is it was the same one that sold me my 8'x10' home gardner greenhouse last year, I don't think she remembered me) didn't need nearly that much after using 6mil for the sides instead.

:smoweed: