What's new

1989 NL 5

Cmoon

gotta love all the work come off NL, smoking the sensi variety right now, one i picked out from 20 about 6 years back, shes very thai and would outrun the NL Haze version only being slightly behind on strength which as previously said is unique, one i remember from nearly last century...toke on brothers:tiphat:

Last edited:

HalfArsedFarmer

I've lost count of how many times I suggested NL to A new grower.

I still grow & smoke NL & it's crosses to this day.

Hempstar from Dutch passion is an NL5 x Haze which can chuck up some fat nugs, it's now called brainstorm.

Dr Atomics NL & Blueberry Jam are both great.
Shantis NL work is great too.

I think A lot of the newer generation don't know how much the indoor scene is indebted to this one line. There is A very good reason why you can still get NL & it's crosses from nearly every seed bank that's out there.

Cmoon

I've lost count of how many times I suggested NL to A new grower.

I still grow & smoke NL & it's crosses to this day.

Hempstar from Dutch passion is an NL5 x Haze which can chuck up some fat nugs, it's now called brainstorm.

Dr Atomics NL & Blueberry Jam are both great.
Shantis NL work is great too.

I think A lot of the newer generation don't know how much the indoor scene is indebted to this one line. There is A very good reason why you can still get NL & it's crosses from nearly every seed bank that's out there.

thanx for that buddy....yes all true, im no linage expert but smoked northern as a none grower in the 90s rave scene, always the last man standing and the most wacked at 6 in morning:biggrin:

ambertrichome

Veteran
This is were you and mostly everyone gets wrong, NL#5 is not just a cut but a seedline, just like skunk#1.

Wrong.

Making its way from the Pacific North West to the Netherlands in 1985, the Northern Lights arrived in the possession of Neville Schoenmaker. Neville was the owner of Holland’s first cannabis Seed Company known as The Seed Bank, which later was renamed Sensi Seeds under new ownership. According to the most credible source; Northern Lights was originally bred by a man known as “The Indian” on an Island near Seattle Washington in the United States.

Apparently there were a total of eleven plants that were labeled Northern Lights #1 through Northern Lights #11. Northern Lights #5 was said to have been the best of the bunch, with Northern Lights #1 coming in at a close second.

The original Northern Lights #s 1/2 plants were described to be true breeding Afghanis with extreme indica characteristics. They were dark green in color and very stable, with a high flower to leaf ratio while sporting a piney taste and purple hues in flowering. They were also known to be highly resinous with a THC percentage over 15%, sometimes higher.

all the various Northern Lights plants that were given to Neville Schoenmaker at the Seed Bank were female clones. Soon after, many new plants showed up on the Seed Bank list, including several different Northern Lights strains. This is where the history begins to get a bit hazy. How exactly these new seeds came to be is unclear but apparently Neville Schoenmaker used the plants that he got from the Indian to create new hybrids by further crossing them to some males of Afghani origin. He might have acquired them from the same source as the females but the Northern Lights males were never labeled, so their history remains unclear. The best guess is that Neville Schoenmaker created the new seeds by further hybridizing and inbreeding the plants that he acquired from the Indian to his old stock. Northern Lights #1 was described as a true breeding Afghani IBL (inbred line), suggesting that it contained none of the Thai Sativa that was later incorporated into some of the Northern Lights strains. At what point the Thai Sativa was infused into the genetic lineage is however unclear. Most likely it was bred into the Northern Lights #2 hybrid at some point. Regardless of their origin or genetic makeup, two particular males labeled Northern Lights #1 and Northern Lights #2 are clearly mentioned as the fathers of many new plants in a Seed Bank catalogue from the 1980’s. Northern Lights #2

The Northern Lights #5 clone only, which was considered the most superior plant of the bunch.

Neville used Afghani males to hybridize and inbreed the different Northern Lights females he was given, and Thai Sativa genes were later introduced into some of the NL hybrids. Northern Lights #1 seems to be a true-breeding Afghani IBL, while NL#2 is a very potent NL#1 x Hindu Kush hybrid (which is actually Dutch Passion's Oasis). It is believed that clone only NL#5 was the best plant of the bunch, so it is the only NL female from the original 11 plants that has been kept pure. It has been used to develop tens of outstanding hybrids over time. Also, two males were selected from this different hybrids, labeled #1 and #2, which were used to develop several strains from The Seed Bank catalog.

rykus

I still have the NL#2 here in BC Canada... I grew the same cut when I was 14 26 years ago.. very distinct growth and leaf shape compared to the more NLD structure and stretch of the #5 we also grew in the later 90's and early 2000's...

If my memory is correct every NL had a different mom and they where all using the same male... they labeled the cuts by the amount of NLD present in the cross so 1+2 where pure WLD where as the numbers over 5 started to be more NLD leaning..

Killer genetics though and probably the most bred plants in existence! .... pretty sure Seatle Greg gave Neville seeds as well.. not sure if they where NL or just the maple indica..

ambertrichome

Veteran
I just bought 4 x 1989 NL5 clones. Gonna keep 1 for a mother, and flower the other 3. Cant wait to run these.

Bud Jones

The original breeder of NL5 was Herbie Nelson , a cross of half Hawaiian and Steve Murphy’s Afghani .. I talk to Seattle Greg frequently , I got the info directly from him yesterday . It’s fairly common knowledge .

rhinoman 1

The original breeder of NL5 was Herbie Nelson , a cross of half Hawaiian and Steve Murphy’s Afghani .. I talk to Seattle Greg frequently , I got the info directly from him yesterday . It’s fairly common knowledge .

This was a discussion over at mr nice site. Being all weed was imported to Hawaii so that statement is to generalized.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
mr. nice forum means nothing here. hey bud jones, be careful with truth or Nevil´s boys will attack you.

Happy Times

Was he “the Indian”?

ambertrichome

Veteran
The Indian, is the one who bred NL. Don't know his real name, but is known as the Indian.

Original NL5 IS CLONE ONLY, AND WAS HYBRIDIZED INTO A SEED STRAIN.. Nevil got the CLONE, and hybridized it.

Its a a misnomer that the seed strain of NL5 is actually NL5. NL5 is a Parent, but is not the whole genetics of the seed line..

Bud Jones

The Indian, is the one who bred NL. Don't know his real name, but is known as the Indian.

Original NL5 IS CLONE ONLY, AND WAS HYBRIDIZED INTO A SEED STRAIN.. Nevil got the CLONE, and hybridized it.

Its a a misnomer that the seed strain of NL5 is actually NL5. NL5 is a Parent, but is not the whole genetics of the seed line..
That isn’t the truth . I just spoke to NL Greg ..He told me himself Herbie Nelson is the breeder . He gave the cut to the Indian .. Not trying to be a Richard but these facts are important to me , as are any and all people who had the passion and dedication to make an important part of cannabis history .. Those my friend are facts from the man’s mouth ..:tiphat:

so , here in oz, I have two versions of nl(both seed)
, one is pine terp heavy and the other is juniper berry overload...
does this sound like nl? as lineage is dubious
saved from around 2000?

ambertrichome

Veteran
Original NL5 was still a clone only regardless of who bred it.

What Nevil got was a clone, and made seeds.

Last edited:

Happy Times

That isn’t the truth . I just spoke to NL Greg ..He told me himself Herbie Nelson is the breeder . He gave the cut to the Indian .. Not trying to be a Richard but these facts are important to me , as are any and all people who had the passion and dedication to make an important part of cannabis history .. Those my friend are facts from the man’s mouth ..:tiphat:

Thanks Bud

Yeah I’m into those kind of details too!