What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Rosin(solventless hashoil)

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
All your doing is rupturing the trichome head with pressure and heat to release the oils within them onto a surface. The rest of contaminate, stays as whole on your smearing device(spoon, finger, etc.). It works best with high quality melty hash to begin with, if you use hash that doesn't melt to begin with it won't work well at all IME. It also has to do alot with temp, to low and you start smearing in contaminate, to hot and you loose alot of flavor. There seems to be a perfect temp range which allows the oils to be released easily while the contaminate stays as whole on your smearing tool.

The proof is in the pudding, you must try some of that pudding. It's a technique so simple and easy everybody should try it! Once you try it you will understand.:)

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
but how does it leave the "good stuff"? you are rubbing the chunk of hash on a warm surface, how does the magic happen? why don't the contaminates stay on the surface with the broken down trich heads? how does it separate leaf and trich head stalk matter from trich head matter?

i guess i will have to try this out to get a better idea of whats taking place.

:bongsmi:

The resins smear and harden on the warm surface, but the plant matter doesn't.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
Yup, so simple ladies and gents. The goodies melt while the contaminate in a mechanical extraction doesn't. Allowing you to ah shmear it on a bagel. LOL

Well maybe not a bagel.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
interesting. not sure why, but i'm not having an easy time of understanding this process. i mean resin is sticky, hash is sticky, specially when you warm it, so why wouldn't the dust particles from the leaf matter and other contaminates just stick to the broken trichs. i'm not disbelieving you, just trying to understand what is taking place. i have a suspicion that this method is more akin to working hash, rather then concentrating it. after all we all know how some dry sift can be changed into bubbly black/brown/red with a bit of kneading and working it. or when putting it through a meat grinder lol, anyone have a link to that thread ; with the bubble put into a mincer and coming out looking like brown shiny hash spaghetti?

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
Well I guess if you don't understand the explanations by those in this thread or comphashon's pictures and others. Then I guess all you have left to do is to try it.

The orginal piece of hash that has been worked will not melt like it once did, because the oils have been smeared onto the surface and mostly contaminate is left on the smearing tool. The semi melty hash before processing into rosin, dabs ok leaving lots of residue, almost a half melt. The rosin made from this semi melty hash melts as much as solvent extract, leaving little to no residue. Why because it has little to no contaminate, trichome shells, stalks etc, which the original hash did. Thus making a much more concentrated product than the original hash it came from. This is not the same as kneeding your hash to form it into desirable shapes, darker colors, leaving your hash as whole. Your using heat and aggressive pressure to release the oils within the resin heads on to surface which are collected and the contaminate which isn't melty stays as whole. The left over worked hash that is now mostly contaminate can be used for things like QWET extracts, decarboxylated and made into edibles, but is no longer enjoyable to vaporize or smoke. The rosin from this process will melt comparable to a solvent extract with a more potent high than the original hash used to make the rosin, which melted much less to begin with because of contaminate.

If anyone has a little hash, even a half gram of some decent bubble or drysift, give it a go.
You will be pleasntly suprised with how easy and simple it is.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
In that link the trichome heads are being ruptured, but the oils are being left whole with the contaminate, thus giving it an oily sheen and slightly better melt than it did before.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i do see what you say the results are, lol. but i don't comprehend how you get from one point in this to the other. i will accept you and everyone else's word for it that the rosin is better then what it was made from. if you insist and everyone else is too who tried it, it makes sense that it's true. so not doubting anyone here.

what i'm having difficulty with is the mechanics lets say, the actual process, the how of it. if you take a look at any hash making method. you will quickly understand what is taking place to leave you with trich heads. even with oil, there is a logical chemical process taking place that explains how you end up with the oil. i'm sure someone could explain exactly how the contaminates end up staying in the chunk, while the trich heads are sticking to the surface?

anyway like you said some times things have to be actually physically done before one can really see whats happening. i will have to experiment a bit when my bubleator finally arrives.

comphashon

Good question. I will try to answer in simple terms.

When you have hash that melts, you sample it and it bubbles away until it burns and is gone. There is an ash left in your screen. That ash is the "stuff" other than the goods.

Actually I first caught on to Rosin this way. I would hold the flame above the hash as I smoked it, so it would bubble away until I was left with a bit of hash left on the screen that wouldn't bubble anymore(ie don't burn it just melt away the tasty goods). Then I would scrape off the bit of hash left on my screen and there was an oil left on the bottom(under the none meltty hash bit left over). I would then put the screen back in my pipe and smoke it. Wow what a hit!!

Anyway getting back to it...

You take that same stash of hash, rub it on the hot bowl. The meltty part smears onto the bowl and the " left overs" don't melt so they stay together.

There is two parts.
1- the oil, the goods, the THC. In other words the shit you want.
2- the plant material, tric stalk, wax. The stuff you don't want.

One melts, the other doesn't. Heat it, smear/sweat it and it separates it.

Of coarse it is pointless to do this with hash that is 70% THC as you already have the best of the best. It is perfect for hash that melts a bit then burns up the "other" stuff.

I have to say I have been lucky enough to have such high quality hash from my firsts that it is already ultra melt, it doesn't leave much ash if any. But as I scape my seconds and thirds( stuff I don't really smoke ) I like to enjoy the goodness that Rosin offers.

Hope that explains the mechanics of Rosin for you and why it works so well. If I had a higher education than a backyard scientist I could explain it way better I'm sure.

Thanks

C

comphashon

Also the more you work the hash, it becomes crumbly. That's a good sign that you got all the goods out that you can. Also why crumbly hash doesn't work.

That being said, contaminants will stick to the rosin as the hash "dries" up. Usually the contaminants will separate easily from the Rosin.

As I read what I'm writing, I should have waited till I was in a clearer state of mind when I wrote this... Like I said this shit is strong!!!

C

DemonTrich

Veteran
so i think...well i know i failed at this attempt. i had a 1.9g of very high quality keif that i had pressed. all light gold powered, no plant material what so ever. i made the hash nug a week ago. after making some concentrate last night, i wanted to turn this hash nug into an oil, like the op did. i also added about .5g of fresh pollen to the mix as well.

i used a pyrex dish instead of a metal one (not sure if that makes a difference or not). did the same double boiler method on pg1 (minus using a pyrex dish). i couldnt get the keif nug (i chopped it back down into a more manageable powder). nothing would melt down even after 5-10 min in the dbl broiler.

anyone have an idea of wtf i did wrong, and did i toast my keif nug into a burnt unusable product? i ended up putting it back in my pollen press and made a new nug.

thanks everyone

DemonTrich

Veteran
i think i may have failed at this attempt to make oil out of my pressed keif nug. i used a pyrex dish instead of a metal bowl in a dbl broiler. i couldnt get the keif to melt down. i added .5g of new keif to the mix as well, and still nothing, even after 5-10 mins in the dbl broiler. nothing would melt down, nor did it look like it wanted to melt down. not sure what i did wrong.

so i put it all back in my pollen press to make another hash nug.

anyone have an idea on what i did wrong and what i need to do differently?

thanks

im hooked on concentrated since i made some green dragon oil out of my extra green dragon tincture yesterday. much better to vape than snoking buds.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
Oh snap comphashon himself! Hows it been man, staying lifted on rosin I hope!

I recenently made some rosin out of some diesel fullmelt that was greasy as hell, I noticed the more greasy, sticky, melty your starting hash the lower the temperatures needed to get your rosin to seperate from the contaiminate. Compared to using a hash that has little to no melt, which seems to need more heat to get it to soften n smear easily without contaminating the rosin.

Dabbing rosin on ti/quartz is bomb!

DylanCo

hay C im in colorado tryin do this with kief will you give me deteils on what to do like when put the kief in the bowl how much water do i put in pot snd afte kief in the bowl what do i have do to make it rosin thanks man bless for the HELPPP

M

mbalders

Another rosin technique

Another rosin technique

On IG a user by the name @soilgrown has demonstrated another rosin extraction technique using a hair straightening iron. Has anyone tried this and seen the results? From his page the results looks amazing; he gets clarity and taste as good or better than solvent extractions from no melt hash and even flower. I was wondering if anyone knows if the hype is real and has tried his technique for themselves?

Roji

I just made some from flowers. Neat stuff.

11008204_1550669431848681_1410411283_n.jpg

Roji

What was your technique and yield? That's some incredible looking hash.

I pressed a few grams of GSC with a flat iron in between folded pieces of parchment. Iron was 350f-ish and i pressed as hard as i could for 3-5 seconds. After I oiled up 5 pieces of paper I took a dabber and rubbed it back and forth across the rosin on the paper. It collected on the dabber. Gonna go buy 2 new irons today. One for me and one to replace my wifes that I destroyed last night. :biglaugh:

gholladay

I pressed a few grams of GSC with a flat iron in between folded pieces of parchment. Iron was 350f-ish and i pressed as hard as i could for 3-5 seconds. After I oiled up 5 pieces of paper I took a dabber and rubbed it back and forth across the rosin on the paper. It collected on the dabber. Gonna go buy 2 new irons today. One for me and one to replace my wifes that I destroyed last night. :biglaugh:
Nice report Roji! How does this smoke compared to your good BHO?

GH