What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Rosin(solventless hashoil)

TrinZilla

Saw this around 2004 in Oakland at a warehouse party... A scruffy looking guy was hunched over a big stainless mixing bowl, furiously rubbing a brick of hash around the sides... every once in a while he would pop up and offer a small something to whoever was around... When asked what it was that he was doing, all he said was "Rosin". LOL

blastfrompast

Veteran
picture.php

Quick and easy if you have a source of good sift :)

blastfrompast

Veteran
The bit on the dabber was first attempt before I had my aha moment, notice the contaminant that slipped by.

Second press on parchment was after :), though I shoulda used fresh parchment...D'oh... Now I precut pieces and get everything ready.

picture.php

Most I have made is 8g in one sitting so far. To say this is a big hit with my buddies is an understatement. I prefer the flavor of using sift and quick low temp press vs flowers and standing on the fucking iron..lol

Last edited:

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
you dont stand on the iron when you press the dry sift? i was going to press some soon, i will get some pointers from you when i do.

blastfrompast

Veteran
I find no need to stand on it, tried it, and didn't gain a whole lot, plus it kinda messes with my system.

I have a bunch of pre-cut mesh circles now, and I get a half dozen sift packets ready to press, do 1 mebbe two presses of each packet, then move to next one.

then collect the oil, sample it .. sample it..... then into silicone container it goes.

Given away a bunch so far people are really digging it.

99%

re - rosin from bud...(I can't buy parchment paper around here but I have some on the way) ...wouldn't it be more efficient if the bud was broken or ground up, the stems removed and then formed into 1/4 inch wide x 2 inch long shape then heat pressed rather than trying to squeeze the oil out of a solid lump of a bud? I'd guess that yields will slightly improve.

re - rosin yields...Has anyone done THC testing before and after making bud rosin? Has anyone tried making rosin from bud then butane extracted the pressed buds to find out was left behind? I'd guess that a quick heat press or two would remove about 50% ~ 70% of the resin

blastfrompast

Veteran
99% I ate a enough used sift to knock me down for the count.

decarbed, not decarbed, didn't make a diff, very little to no effect from used sift.

Flowers I could see you gaining something....but I suspect it would be super waxy :)

comphashon

It's so fucking awesome to see this evolve to what it is today!!! Great work people!!! Makes me wonder... It's this amazing now... What's next!!!

Sunfire

Veteran
I find no need to stand on it, tried it, and didn't gain a whole lot, plus it kinda messes with my system.

I have a bunch of pre-cut mesh circles now, and I get a half dozen sift packets ready to press, do 1 mebbe two presses of each packet, then move to next one.

then collect the oil, sample it .. sample it..... then into silicone container it goes.

Given away a bunch so far people are really digging it.

If you have super high grade sift you don't need a lot of pressure. Tony verzura just uses his hands. He's using super high grade full melt. Says he gets 85% yield just holding it in his hands and squeezing. I think the pressure needed is in relationship to how much non oil constituents are in the sift.

blastfrompast

Veteran
Sunfire:

I made an oz of bubble on the weekend, started pressing what I consider the Medible grade (first bag) in my Vice press and was getting 60+% returns. The oil is darker, but really nice flavor. Pressed 3g, got 2g of rosin back (ran out of wife-free time)...

It is super stable/shattery tho, which sucked, I hate that texture for dabbing.

So the sift from the same material makes nice ewwy-goooey sap.... Yet water washing it makes rock hard shatter....

Same press, same temps, same tek......

Anybody else seeing this? Or is it the micron of the mesh trapping trich/material of a certain size that is causing it..... Didn't have time to press any of the nicer #.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I made rosin from some 99.99 dry sift and i don't know if it from working in the sun or what but one hit kicked my butt..It goes to butter in a warm temp as well... Are we over here now?

Sunfire

Veteran
I don't know where we are lol. I just saw this one pop up, I shouldn't have posted anything cause now I see it's pretty old and slow.

So wait, your getting 66% return off super green terrible kief? That's very interesting. Moisture content could still be a part in yields.

I bet anything it's because the sift has more terps. Washing herb takes off a bit or terpenes. Are you press times the same? I feel like with super good sift you would extract very fast as opposed to crappy kief.