What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smells like LouDog inside the van...

LouDog420

Some gorilla bubble frost to go with the cold!

50924257173_ea3d2b0a2f_k.jpg

50924257293_8d265c310c_k.jpg

50925070037_1f445904db_k.jpg

LouDog420

Dopey, I'd think so. You can see it on the OGC macro a few posts back, on the surface of the leaf there's a grove of amber trichs one third of the way up on left hand side. Seems to be the case whether its heat or yellowing for senescence, larger concentrations of amber trichs, possible correlation with lack of water/drying out in localized spots.

Same with the third GB pics on the last set of macros. You can see the yellow on the tips of the bracts, definitely some heat stress, third pic, and a higher concentration of amber. The first GB pic with much less amber wasn't in as hot of a spot and didn't show any heat stress.

Very minimal visual effects to flowers (a bit moreso on OGC due to proximity to 1k's), but more pronounced at the trich level. Interesting for sure...

Fun stuff

G

Some gorilla bubble frost to go with the cold!

View Image
View Image
View Image

Hubba hubba ding a ling.

I have some in the fridge, hope you they germ when it comes time:dance013:

Dopey, I'd think so. You can see it on the OGC macro a few posts back, on the surface of the leaf there's a grove of amber trichs one third of the way up on left hand side. Seems to be the case whether its heat or yellowing for senescence, larger concentrations of amber trichs, possible correlation with lack of water/drying out in localized spots.

Same with the third GB pics on the last set of macros. You can see the yellow on the tips of the bracts, definitely some heat stress, third pic, and a higher concentration of amber. The first GB pic with much less amber wasn't in as hot of a spot and didn't show any heat stress.

Very minimal visual effects to flowers (a bit moreso on OGC due to proximity to 1k's), but more pronounced at the trich level. Interesting for sure...

Fun stuff

So the quality of the compounds within those trichomes are compromised then?

LouDog420

So the quality of the compounds within those trichomes are compromised then?

No idea, I'm just throwing shit at the wall and stoned theorizing ;)

I wouldn't think compromised is the right word, as I bet they still get someone plenty lifted. Maybe quicker maturation so progressing to amber quicker, maybe less water content, maybe resulting different cannabinoid profile. All I know is there may be a correlation between heat stress, lack of moisture in vegetative material, and % of amber trichs; what's going on inside is anyone's guess.

Last edited:
G

No idea, I'm just throwing shit at the wall and stoned theorizing ;)

I wouldn't think compromised is the right word, as I bet they still get someone plenty lifted. Maybe quicker maturation so progressing to amber quicker, maybe less water content, maybe resulting different cannabinoid profile. All I know is there may be a correlation between heat stress, lack of moisture in vegetative material, and % of amber trichs; what's going on inside is anyone's guess.
What he said :yeahthats

Probably of more concern to extractionists eh.

DunHav`nFun

The role of senescence in real life outside in mother nature is what determines amber thrichage during late - end of cycle and the plant`s death.....IOW......Everything going on inside under artificial conditions only influences and most times enhances actual trichome coverage due to the fact that they live under strict 12/12 conditions with no low light conditions for springtime/early veg all the way through end of bloom cycle and plant chop.....so......that said.....

Increased heat and extreme light causes resin production and trichome degradation , and just like on that GB pic , logic dictates being too close to the bare bulbs without adequate airflow for cooling caused said trichome development and degrading .....also.....Ya`ll ever notice on some plants how they never stop spittin snow white pistils even though all heads are cloudy and by all means ready to chop ?.....Well there ya go.....Life`s different for plants inside compared to outside huh guys.....

I also daresay NO ONE has EVER let hybrids go til ACTUAL senescence where leaves all fall , inside that is , where buds start turning all different colors from chlorophyll degradation , then finally death where the plant actually dies , falls over , and releases all seeds from the previous crop to perpetuate the species.....in nature that is outside.....now.....

Lou.....You takin the end colas and leaving the plants brings back memories my buddy ....thanks for that......Outside in the mid-late 70`s we usedta take the Sativa-zilla`s top 1/3`s , then 2 weeks later the middles , then the last 2 weeks the lowers would usually purple up from frost and lower temps gettin toward mid Dec before Xmas.....

All the same plants , but all 3 sack ups had different heads and tastes to em so go figure.....things that make yas go hmmmmm....anyways....

Pullin fer big numbers once dialed in this grow area with the right/OGC/monocropped run some of these days......Sue me....I`m a bottom line kinda old fart.....Mo money Mo money Mo money etc etc etc.......Take care and good luck.....

Peace.....DHF......:ying:......

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
Looking good Lou, great job bringing em on home! Can't wait to see what changes you make. Still thinking about the split system?

LouDog420

Thanks for the insight Fred! A few extra days has seemed to help the plants tighten and frost up on those lowers (that aren't so much lowers, as still plenty of beautiful nugs on those mini-trees). It doesn't hurt to spread out the work either...

If I hit the 4#, I'll be happy, with a big old pile for the hash making fun ;) I'm pretty picky on what makes it into the bag and what sticks around for personal supply and hash making. Plenty of room for improvement...

Thanks Doobie! Always appreciate your input on photos. It's tough here as I have to decide whether to upload to the site and kill quality or go a different route. I uploaded all the GB pics to flickr which is why I can post with a bit more resolution than normal...

Tleaf, yep, minisplit quote and checking the space for install along with electrical upgrade to full 200A service!!! Next round, blasting light ;)

Still need to decide if we're running 4 plants-5 bulbs or 5 plants-4 bulbs... Probably the later since I have a Double Strawberry Diesel I'd like to run to see how she performs as a tree...

Good vibes all, think we're going paul bunyan soon!

Last edited:

MallardDuck

Just browsed the thread. Really great diary and lots of sparkly pictures and interesting info from smart folks. Looking forward to following this thread.

Cheers

MD

LouDog420

Day 75 and beyond...

Day 75 and beyond...

picture.php

Few notes... OGC on the left (pre-harvested tops), and SQ on the right (full plant)...

Tried to be ambitious and take and hang whole plants (for the SQ girls). Didn't think how they would collapse in on themselves due to the weight when hanging upside down with gravity pushing all branches together. So, after sawing the stem, cutting support ties, manhandling to the dry space, and hanging upside on suspended wire all very carefully trying not to damage or disturb anything... only to realize the big girls had to be dissected from their own branchy jungle and intertwined trellis, otherwise they wouldn't have had the airflow needed for a nice dry.

PITA but got it done....

Otherwise, business as usual, low and slow 60F and ~50rh as best as possible. Tops are finishing while whole plants are hanging.

Quick sweep, tray scrub, and off to the races... 2x OGC (a center girl this round), 2x SQ, and a Double Strawberry Diesel

picture.php

Dealing with some cold temps, and now that we've got no giant transpiring plants, low humidity... Amazing how much the big girls were contributing to the whole house humidity. So have the dehui on standby until they get some girth. Just repotted to 10s, maybe 3-4 weeks of veg then flip...

Good vibes all

eyesdownchronic

View Image

Few notes... OGC on the left (pre-harvested tops), and SQ on the right (full plant)...

Tried to be ambitious and take and hang whole plants (for the SQ girls). Didn't think how they would collapse in on themselves due to the weight when hanging upside down with gravity pushing all branches together. So, after sawing the stem, cutting support ties, manhandling to the dry space, and hanging upside on suspended wire all very carefully trying not to damage or disturb anything... only to realize the big girls had to be dissected from their own branchy jungle and intertwined trellis, otherwise they wouldn't have had the airflow needed for a nice dry.

PITA but got it done....

Otherwise, business as usual, low and slow 60F and ~50rh as best as possible. Tops are finishing while whole plants are hanging.

Quick sweep, tray scrub, and off to the races... 2x OGC (a center girl this round), 2x SQ, and a Double Strawberry Diesel

View Image

Dealing with some cold temps, and now that we've got no giant transpiring plants, low humidity... Amazing how much the big girls were contributing to the whole house humidity. So have the dehui on standby until they get some girth. Just repotted to 10s, maybe 3-4 weeks of veg then flip...

Good vibes all
Good finish,

Lets do it again!

eyesdownchronic

The (grower's) circle of life [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]View Image[/FONT]
I always find it reinvigorating to clean out the space and throw in some new life.
Ive also been making sure to do a detergent scrub, bleach spray, and letting it sit overnight before tossing in anything new. Nothing worse than carrying last grows problems into the new one...

DunHav`nFun

Live and learn brother.....It`s the lil things that`ll make or break that ass at times huh ?.....Plants collapsin in on their water filled weighted down asses.....How dare they.....lol.....Can only imagine the clusterfuck and stickyass mess you were after all that was done and over......Buck n hang limbs , buck n hang limbs , etc. etc. etc. ......

Hope your nug density and yields pull thru for yas Bro , looks to be plenty of that shit lol.....Glad you`ve got the next round ready to blow and go in the bloom room , so thus the circadian rythym continues....and hey.....I assure you once the girls get settled in and eatin , RH will once again go thru the roof the more dialed the environment is .....and that`s a good thing....anyways....Keep strokin Lou....You got dis.....Upgrade as budget provides....

Peace.....DHF......:ying:.....

LouDog420

Lessons learned... Nothing that hasn't been said already in this thread... Thanks DHF

#1 Proper Watts/sf... 32 is not enough without proper pheno selection. Definitely suffered some density issues. SQ and GB specifically

Brings us to... #2 Pheno selection... If there was a room full of OGC, there'd be some happy dancing going on. Instead, what looks to be mediocre weight with a ton of smalls to work through. Since we were lacking in light intensity, we needed a plant that could take that and still stack. These specific cuts, SQ with the sour d genes and the gb with the sour bubble, aren't suited for it, not to say others in the line wouldn't be...

#3 Canopy management... So much little secondary shit that you don't realize the sheer amount until you have to buck it all down. So much wasted energy. Clean out those inners, then when finished, clean them some more...

Big three lessons learned, only up to go from here.

Girls a little top heavy this round, but just now catching and can see the growth kicking in. We'll be upping to 4kw this round... Maybe 5kw if I can bring myself to toss a plant and run 5 bulbs, 4 plants... I'll probably stay 5 plants, 4kw just cause I want to run the DSD but don't want to put 25% of my eggs in that basket without a trial...

Girls...
picture.php

DunHav`nFun

It`s hard ta visualize all the sucker branches and secondary leads off main actual laterals......until you do it and see how much shit that should`ve never been there to begin with , but cleanin out the "innards" is a must with big plants to maintain proper airflow and light penetration to grow dem budsites , or you get whatcha get.....buncha smalls...right ?.........now.....

Respect for turnaround time with new bitches on deck for the bloom room......No better wayta turn more crops per yr than with zero downtime for the flower areas ......perpetual is as perpetual does .....and hey ...

Turn lemons into lemonade....process all dat shit.....smalls and all not bag appeal worthy can be concentrates to help return on investment..... You know the drill....and....3 hardest lessons learned.....only gets better from here Bro.....Keep strokin Lou.....you da man.....

Peace.....DHF......:ying:....