What's new

Frost coming Sat.&Sun. Help Newbie

plhkarma

Hi all:) We have 7 girls outside(in ground) all at different stages of growth. All unknown bagseed. Temps are going to be 30-36 the next 2 nights. Should we cover them? I've heard that a couple of frosts can actually be good for the girls.
We know for sure that we have at least 2 plants that need at least another 5-6 weeks to go yet. We are going to attempt to somehow cover them as the temps get colder. Any suggestions for protecting the girls is soooooo appreciated!!!!:tiphat:

Attachments

• IMG_4359.JPG
    IMG_4359.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4301.JPG
    IMG_4301.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4368.JPG
    IMG_4368.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4372.jpg
    IMG_4372.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4282.JPG
    IMG_4282.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4269.JPG
    IMG_4269.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4380.jpg
    IMG_4380.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 7

biteme

leave them alone. when temps first hit the mid 20s is the beginning of the end. ime, most folks do more damage covering than the frost would ever do. peace-biteme

simos

Something breathable - like canvas or burlap - will be best. Plastic will insulate less, while simultaneously trapping moisture which will increase the chances of mold and freeze damage.

Use bamboo stakes or small bits of timber from the area to support the fabric so that it doesn't crush your plants.

Good luck

plhkarma

Something breathable - like canvas or burlap - will be best. Plastic will insulate less, while simultaneously trapping moisture which will increase the chances of mold and freeze damage.

Use bamboo stakes or small bits of timber from the area to support the fabric so that it doesn't crush your plants.

Good luck

Thanks for the info!! My husband went out today and put limbs from our brush pile around the girls in preperation of covering. We don't have any burlap or canvas:( All we have around right now are some tarps. Will def go out and get some burlap/canvas on payday. Is it necessary to cover them the next 2 nights with the temps dipping to between 31-36`?

Another question: Do the calyx continue to swell during flush...and do trichs continue to produce as well?

I know...obvious Newbie questions
Grateful there are IC folks are here to help:thank you:

simos

I think it would be wise to cover during any temps below 40 degrees. If a tarp is all you have, it's all you have, and it's better than nothing. A hard frost can really slow a flowering plant down...

As per calyx swell during flush - it's pretty hard to flush a plant in the ground. Effective flushing only happens with containers. Nevertheless, it would be wise to avoid any ferts in the last few weeks of flower, whether plants are in containers or in ground. Calyxes will continue to expand until harvest.

A

argoagro

Got a bunch of watering jugs or other types of liquid storage containers around? Fill 'em up with hot water, not that it's a problem though, they can take a freeze

plhkarma

I think it would be wise to cover during any temps below 40 degrees. If a tarp is all you have, it's all you have, and it's better than nothing. A hard frost can really slow a flowering plant down...

As per calyx swell during flush - it's pretty hard to flush a plant in the ground. Effective flushing only happens with containers. Nevertheless, it would be wise to avoid any ferts in the last few weeks of flower, whether plants are in containers or in ground. Calyxes will continue to expand until harvest.
:tiphat:Thank you!! We decided not to cover tonight. Now is just a slight chance of a slight frost.

Andyo

Veteran
good frost

good frost

a couple of good frosts will kill the mold spores on or around the plants

plhkarma

Got a bunch of watering jugs or other types of liquid storage containers around? Fill 'em up with hot water, not that it's a problem though, they can take a freeze
:tiphat:Thank you!! Grate idea. I guess I'm most worried about the 2 girls that have to make it til the end of October. We're thinking of giving Liquid Fence Freezepruf a try on 1 of those 2 girls just to see if it is effective.

Nynexx

a couple good frosts will make your plant mature extremely faster! but if its cold for a week + it will die!

plhkarma

a couple good frosts will make your plant mature extremely faster! but if its cold for a week + it will die!
That's good news...the maturing quickly part:jump:. Tonight is going to be in the 30's as well. The rest of the week's supposed to be highs 60's and lows of 40's.

Thank you for the info:tiphat:

simos

:tiphat:Thank you!! Grate idea. I guess I'm most worried about the 2 girls that have to make it til the end of October. We're thinking of giving Liquid Fence Freezepruf a try on 1 of those 2 girls just to see if it is effective.

Freezepruf is a cool product for ornamentals, or vegetables with an impenetrable skin, but I'd stay away from it with something you're going to smoke.

Personally, I wouldn't apply ANY foliars after the onset of actual budding, not even OMRI listed products.

If you do end up going with the Freezepruf, please consider a submersion in water after the chop, prior to hanging, as per the method used by some of the old timers to clear up PM. Better safe than sorry...

plhkarma

Freezepruf is a cool product for ornamentals, or vegetables with an impenetrable skin, but I'd stay away from it with something you're going to smoke.

Personally, I wouldn't apply ANY foliars after the onset of actual budding, not even OMRI listed products.

If you do end up going with the Freezepruf, please consider a submersion in water after the chop, prior to hanging, as per the method used by some of the old timers to clear up PM. Better safe than sorry...
Thank you so much for info! I researched the ingredients on Freezepruf and I guess I, being a newbie, thought it would be safe.
Could you tell me more about submerging the buds....is it like water curing? Or just a short soak?

simos

Thank you so much for info! I researched the ingredients on Freezepruf and I guess I, being a newbie, thought it would be safe.
Could you tell me more about submerging the buds....is it like water curing? Or just a short soak?

I can't say it isn't safe with authority - I'm just inclined to be skeptical. It doesn't help that the manufacturer won't spill the beans about the formula, but that's understandable, I guess. I have used it on some borderline hardy ornamentals and can say it works as advertised - somewhere in the neighborhood of a 5 degree hardiness boost.

About the water method, I think it's just a quick soak - a minute or two at best, but I haven't actually done it myself. Sorry I don't have a link to post, but I think you could find the info with a little searching here in the outdoor forum

Andyo

Veteran
uk frost

uk frost

I grew outside in the uk 10 yrs usually croppin 15 october onwards occasional frosts from early september .
As long as the sun comes out and its not freezing rains or mists most indica strains will make it and be v/good.
One thing FROST POCKETS theyre a danger if your plants are on top of a slope then fine but down in a dip the frost rolls down in and can freeze a plant .A