What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Starke's Story: An LED Tale

insomniac_AU

I have not been growing long enough to have earned much of a right to bitch...but WTF?

Is there any such thing as the perfect grow? You know, trouble free from beginning to end.

Every grow I have done so far has suffered from some obstacle. Nutes, lights, hurricanes, mites - and thats just the grows documented here in this grow diary.

Really thought this grow was on track to be my first without issue, HOWEVER, I went in to check on the ladies about an hour ago and found three spots of bud rot on three separate plants. I immediately cut the infected colas off, but harvest will be in the morning. I'm not taking any chance of this stuff getting out of hand, much as I would like to give them another four or five days to flush and finish.

So now I can add bud rot to my list of obstacles to be conquered. Fuck.

Pics sometime tomorrow after the chop.

I don't know how many cycles I've run in my life I've lost count and in my experience problems are common. It makes me laugh when people that don't grow think it's so easy to grow a "weed" from start to finish and end up with a quality product.
Yes I've suffered from bud rot like most any other grower. I had some in the crop before last. I have to really pay attention to humidity towards the end of flower or it will happen. None in the last crop.
It's a bummer but don't feel bad just try and learn why it happened and fix it next time.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
The good thing about bud rot

The good thing about bud rot

I only have it when the colas are big and dense. The bad thing about it is it’s the big ass colas that get fucked the most. Like said above learn from it and put in the time. Lower humidity earlier, increase circulation, cut off more lower and less productive branches, spray less, and you still will get it ocassionally on big dense flowers. Cut it off and throw it out, you are still going to have a sweet haul off that run. Nice work. Perfect runs are rare if ever.

starke

Palindrome Looks really great mate!

A little bud rot, it happens.
Maybe get a dehumidifyer, for the next run.
Thats what I did, after I found a little bud rot in last harvest time.

Im hoping that will eleminate the problem, in the future.

I've got a dehuey that would be overkill for my little room. Going to have to give it a go next time around - at least late in flower anyway.

insomniac_AU I don't know how many cycles I've run in my life I've lost count and in my experience problems are common. It makes me laugh when people that don't grow think it's so easy to grow a "weed" from start to finish and end up with a quality product.
Yes I've suffered from bud rot like most any other grower. I had some in the crop before last. I have to really pay attention to humidity towards the end of flower or it will happen. None in the last crop.
It's a bummer but don't feel bad just try and learn why it happened and fix it next time.

I hear you about the humidity. We have been so wet this spring and summer in FL that my indoor humidity is rarely below 60% even with the central air running, and usually closer to 65% in the flower room with lights on - 75% with lights out. I'm going to have to get a handle on it for sure.

Itsmychoice The good thing about bud rot
I only have it when the colas are big and dense. The bad thing about it is it’s the big ass colas that get fucked the most. Like said above learn from it and put in the time. Lower humidity earlier, increase circulation, cut off more lower and less productive branches, spray less, and you still will get it ocassionally on big dense flowers. Cut it off and throw it out, you are still going to have a sweet haul off that run. Nice work. Perfect runs are rare if ever.

That's the real pisser. These are the largest and densest buds I have grown so far.

Thanks for the input and encouragement everyone. Here are the ladies just before lights on this morning:

picture.php

And as they appear as of an hour or so ago:

picture.php

Peace,
starke

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
Whoowee! They did stack nice.

Growing pains.

I lost a couple flowers last run too, shit happens. Its a double edged sword kinda thing...big flowers and the increased chance of rot. Plants that are more susceptible dont get to hang around too long.

My .2cents...break that shit down , especially the big flowers... get it dry, there is almost always more moisture left than you think. It will come out, and cure just fine. That and ya cant cure / or smoke a rotted bud.

Next round is waiting in the wings?

starke

Whoowee! They did stack nice.

Growing pains.

I lost a couple flowers last run too, shit happens. Its a double edged sword kinda thing...big flowers and the increased chance of rot. Plants that are more susceptible dont get to hang around too long.

My .2cents...break that shit down , especially the big flowers... get it dry, there is almost always more moisture left than you think. It will come out, and cure just fine. That and ya cant cure / or smoke a rotted bud.

Next round is waiting in the wings?

I really should not complain considering how pretty the remaining buds are. Just a kick in the teeth to lose several of the biggest top colas I have grown so far. The misses and I are going to break the plants down some and give them a rough trim to remove fan leaves in the morning.

Next round will be a close repeat of this one with the exception of a Big Bud X White Widow fem from seed (freebie) I want to flower out as well as a Skywalker Kush fem from seed.

ExoticsRus

Try using Physan 20 as a cleaning solution and cleaning your pots/anything in your grow room. It’s better than h202 or bleach that’s for sure

Do a little research in it, I did and I won’t ever go back

starke

Sorry for the delay everyone. The day after the chop the misses went for a routine doctor appointment that turned into a week in the hospital and a diagnosis of colon cancer. Still trying to pick up the pieces and put them together but it looks like surgery in October followed by chemo if needed. Coincidentally enough, and lucky for her, her old man just harvested 2.1lb of quality buds.

The harvest was not anywhere near the 3lbs I was aiming for but I am very happy to say the least. Due to the misses being in the hospital at the same time the buds needed to be trimmed and jarred I did not have time to properly trim. The buds got clipped, sugar leaves and all into rubbermaid containers so I could try and control the final humidity. I was really afraid they were too dry but they all were between 64% and 68% RH and are curing as I type. They are ugly as can be and I therefore took no pictures. I figure I can trim at my leisure once things settle down a bit here.

I'm about to transplant six root-bound clones and put them in the room and will throw up a pic when I do to document the start of the next run. Also, I will be starting a grow diary on the Real Gorilla Seeds thread for a tester run of their Sour Orange Diesel fems.

Peace,
starke

starke

Thanks for the good vibes everyone. Will try and get this thread back to some sense of normal this week.

packerfan79

Veteran
Sorry for the delay everyone. The day after the chop the misses went for a routine doctor appointment that turned into a week in the hospital and a diagnosis of colon cancer. Still trying to pick up the pieces and put them together but it looks like surgery in October followed by chemo if needed. Coincidentally enough, and lucky for her, her old man just harvested 2.1lb of quality buds.

The harvest was not anywhere near the 3lbs I was aiming for but I am very happy to say the least. Due to the misses being in the hospital at the same time the buds needed to be trimmed and jarred I did not have time to properly trim. The buds got clipped, sugar leaves and all into rubbermaid containers so I could try and control the final humidity. I was really afraid they were too dry but they all were between 64% and 68% RH and are curing as I type. They are ugly as can be and I therefore took no pictures. I figure I can trim at my leisure once things settle down a bit here.

I'm about to transplant six root-bound clones and put them in the room and will throw up a pic when I do to document the start of the next run. Also, I will be starting a grow diary on the Real Gorilla Seeds thread for a tester run of their Sour Orange Diesel fems.

Peace,
starke

Man , I am sorry to hear about the wife's diagnosis. I will pray for your wife.

starke

Fall 2018 Run Begins

Fall 2018 Run Begins

OK. Head back in the game for a minute. This run will consist of two Super Lemon Haze clones (rear two plants in below pic), a Skywalker Kush fem from seed (middle row plant on left), a White Widow X Big Bud fem from seed (middle row plant on right) and two Liberty Haze clones (two plants in foreground).
picture.php

3 gallon Hempy style buckets with a medium of perlite and hydroton. Plants are being fed Jacks Hydro and Calnit at a ratio of 100 grams Jacks to 80 grams Calnit. This is fed at about 1.3ec in veg. Im planning on doing a little foilage cleanup in the next day or two along with some slight training. I'm thinking another week or ten days of veg then flipping to flower.

Quick pic of one of the Rubbermaid containers containing some of the last harvest. Think this is some of the Juan Herer. Ugly as homemade sin but it will eventually get properly trimmed.
picture.php

Peace,
starke

justiceman

Veteran
Is there any such thing as the perfect grow? You know, trouble free from beginning to end.
You hit the nail on the head! It's very challenging for everything to be perfect the whole time. There are so many variables that there is almost always something that isn't perfect. It's our job too make the best of it. Look at you for example. You killed it so hard that some buds got too big to resist rot in the current environment. Like a double edged sword. Probably either a more mold resistant strain or less humidity would help. See what I mean though one variable changes(bud size) and another variable must change as a result.

Many think a good grower is one who does a perfect run without issues, but in my opinion a good grower is really someone who can adjust and fix issues that arise. You've done a damn fine job of it:tiphat:

OK. Head back in the game for a minute. This run will consist of two Super Lemon Haze clones (rear two plants in below pic), a Skywalker Kush fem from seed (middle row plant on left), a White Widow X Big Bud fem from seed (middle row plant on right) and two Liberty Haze clones (two plants in foreground).
View Image
3 gallon Hempy style buckets with a medium of perlite and hydroton. Plants are being fed Jacks Hydro and Calnit at a ratio of 100 grams Jacks to 80 grams Calnit. This is fed at about 1.3ec in veg. Im planning on doing a little foilage cleanup in the next day or two along with some slight training. I'm thinking another week or ten days of veg then flipping to flower.

Quick pic of one of the Rubbermaid containers containing some of the last harvest. Think this is some of the Juan Herer. Ugly as homemade sin but it will eventually get properly trimmed.
View Image

Peace,
starke
Looking solid! Those harvested buds look very tasty if I must say so myself. Who cares if they aren't properly trimmed yet. Just as long as you do it before smoking no worries. They look gorgeous. :). Much love and well wishes to you and your misses. Positive vibes coming your way.

Latest posts

Latest posts