What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

So what is the deal with phylos these days?

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Wonder if Monsanto/Bayer will be the lucky cocksuckers with the opportunity to buy all the content they have compiled for whatever scheme

G

GatorGumbo

One thing I think about when I hear all the talk about GMO cannabis. What are the applications? Round Up ready is the first thing that comes to mind. Adding genes to the plant that make it resistant to all sorts of herbicides, fungicides, and pesticides. Make it more resistant to grey mold? Maybe adding hops genes to make it a perennial vine?

These ideas don't do much for potency and yield, cannabis seems to be fine in these regards. I'm thinking GMO hemp could be very useful the way oil plants like rapeseed and corn are modified. Packing a huge number of GMO hemp plants into a Round Up Ready field that's not for human consumption makes a lot more sense. I don't see much GMO ganja in the future but I'll bet we see GMO hemp in the next few years.

Pretty sure registered pesticides for hemp aren't even a thing yet. So there's not really anything to make them resistant to in that regard. It's only a matter of time, though. Certainly selective breeding has been going on even with hemp for centuries.

I've read a few articles on the farm stimulus and peripheral current events that say many farmers are growing hemp since the trade war with China has created the domestic market for it. Things are getting interesting, that's for sure.

JetLife175

Veteran
Most of these comments stem from people who followed skunkmans request blindly wanting to be a part of something bigger.

How the fuck do you think Neville made it through the scene all these years? By using his name to fuck every bright eyed idiot who would take the risk on the guy.

Skunkman did every single one of you the same it seems. Sad but true.

frostqueen

Interesting that Robert Clarke is such a big part of Phylos. I'm trying to wrap my head around why he would be involved if our worst fears become realized here. Surely he would see that coming? Or is he just in it for the $$ and doesn't care?

cr0n

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Seems as though some old school folks want to finally cash in. A shame really.

JetLife175

Veteran
Seems as though some old school folks want to finally cash in. A shame really.

Neville did it with auscann shortly before his death. Something like 30 million dollars in shares and never delivered on genetics. Walked away with a major stake in the company Scott free.

It seems Sam has been way ahead of the curve when it comes to stuff like this, and honestly I don’t think Sam had any intentions of what’s being accused. He’s not the guy who says yes or no at phylos I guarantee it.

Sometimes a really good idea gets morphed into something beneficial for some and not so much for others.

I don’t see how this is going to play out in the way that’s so detrimental to the community if anything is actually true.

Can’t stop people from breeding their own seeds and sharing clones between one another. Nothing is going to change.

frostqueen

I don’t see how this is going to play out in the way that’s so detrimental to the community if anything is actually true.

Can’t stop people from breeding their own seeds and sharing clones between one another. Nothing is going to change.

As a private breeder and cultivar collector I agree that my own scene won't see a huge impact. The day I dread is when these megacorps start lobbying with their megamillions to ban all home growing so they can increase their profit margin. Like big tobacco did.

I have no desire to be considered a criminal again like a few short years ago, but hell will freeze over before I let 20 years of work sail out the window because of a bought and paid for political wind change.

I'm going to wait for more information before concluding anything.

On a side note: I would have thought Phylos would have fixed their impossible-to-read galaxy before these sorts of developments happened. There are so many strains crammed into a small area on that galaxy that it takes forever just to extract basic familial relationships. My (repeated) suggestion to them was to add a simple toggle switch so all unrelated strains disappeared. Guess that's not something they are interested in. I honestly like seed find er's simple representation of heritage much more.

lol, I just went to look at the galaxy again. It looks like somebody fed a unicorn alphabet soup, 50 pounds of skittles and a bunch of ex-lax. It is basically worthless.

Last edited:

White Beard

Interesting that Robert Clarke is such a big part of Phylos. I'm trying to wrap my head around why he would be involved if our worst fears become realized here. Surely he would see that coming? Or is he just in it for the $$ and doesn't care?

Sad he’s such a big part, in my eyes: but then, his Frankenstein hatchet-job of cannabis taxonomy is crucial to them and, I guess, important to him, so...strange bedfellows

F

Fermented

Skunkman did every single one of you the same it seems. Sad but true.

Before your mob strings up Sam from the nearest branch, it might be an idea to actually hear from what he has to say about this.

and from what I remember, Sam recommended sending heat treated, not viable seeds, to Phylos because DNA can be extracted from non-viable seeds and can't be grown, I guess he anticipated the mob raving ill informed stupid crap.

Here's my guess why there's no feedback from Phylos is they are probably in talks with one of the big listed Canadian Canna companies, they will get bought out for millions and the information they have gathered is virtually worthless (apart from the seeds that Sam Skunkman sent in, your seeds that resulted from pollen chucked multi hybrid gang-bangs, much less so, despite the catchy name you gave them) but their method, expertise and knowledge could be valuable in the future to the big Co that owns them.

Stay Cool, let the millionaires do their thing (which is making money grow bigger via IPOs) and we can keep on being fascinated and delighted by the cannabis we breed, grow and enjoy!...and by sharing the knowledge!

Last edited:

J-Icky

On a side note: I would have thought Phylos would have fixed their impossible-to-read galaxy before these sorts of developments happened. There are so many strains crammed into a small area on that galaxy that it takes forever just to extract basic familial relationships. My (repeated) suggestion to them was to add a simple toggle switch so all unrelated strains disappeared. Guess that's not something they are interested in. I honestly like seed find er's simple representation of heritage much more.

lol, I just went to look at the galaxy again. It looks like somebody fed a unicorn alphabet soup, 50 pounds of skittles and a bunch of ex-lax. It is basically worthless.

The reason it looks that way is because most of all “strains” available today are just bottle necked from a handful of strains from the past. Real breeding has been a long gone thing as there is no real money in it. As we see it would take 30 years worth of crossing and selecting to go from original landrace genetics to what we would call acceptable today.
It’s much easier to take someone else’s work and cross it to another persons work and call it your own thing and save yourself the years of work it took those others to get where they are with those parent plants.

If you ask me Phylos is fat leas damaging to the cannabis scene than the hundreds of so called breeders that do nothing but keep crossing and recrossing the same bottlenecked genetics.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran

Strange thing is he didn't send any Chinese genetics to Phylos, since he has experience with China for more than 20 years.Wrote several articles about hemp in China.

Dog Star

Veteran
Maybe they take what they wish or are interested and then compose new genetics
that is actually not avaible nowhere as there is big genetic pool to choose from..

then its their own property,or those breeders that submitted genetics will get
some little bits just so they can claim they payed something to them..

but real problem is to proove your genetics is being used whithouth your promision,
if they sell this new cultivar to some other company how you will know that??

Am dont belive people will get some letter with info that your genetics was used or
that they have hard wish to share profitt with folks..

Lot of combos and most of folks still thinks that all this was for good of community..

Originally Posted by frostqueen View Post
It looks like somebody fed a unicorn alphabet soup, 50 pounds of skittles and a bunch of ex-lax. It is basically worthless.

LOL... am telling this from begginings but you used much better words for
explaining a Galaxy..

Miasa Mura

It all seems pretty clear that they are not using anything that was sent it and are working with selected folks in Oregon to begin a partnership. They teamed up with Medicinal Genomics for the Open Cannabis Project to make things transparent about the samples they have been testing. Not everyone drops trousers for dollars, some people just want to make the world a better place.

mr.brunch

Veteran
But you cannot patent prior art.. therefore they can only patent new, unique strains. That doesn’t bother me in the slightest as I wouldn’t buy weed or seeds from a scientist.
Just like I wouldn’t ask one to write me a joke.

Dog Star

Veteran
But you cannot patent prior art.. therefore they can only patent new, unique strains. That doesn’t bother me in the slightest as I wouldn’t buy weed or seeds from a scientist.
Just like I wouldn’t ask one to write me a joke.

Arent a claim for G13 that shes come from scientist circle???

Then you dont need to use this genetics but some other folks will
and if genetics shows good for some short time you will have a
market full of hybrids with this strain inside genetic code... same what happened with G13 in old times...

people used it no matter she comes from scientist..

and it was hype in that time to have something with G13 inside..
folks buyed it like it was pure gold..

Am belive same will happend again if they suceed to put something
valuable on market,even some of underground breeders will use
it if it shows good for crosses..

So soon this kind of genetics will be normal and praised if they made things good..

What bothers me is that they first promised they will not breed,then
now we have opposite situation where they claim they go in buiss..!!

Its pretty hard to trust this kind of people who turn their thoughts
or promises for 180 degrees.. and use advance in all this collected
genetics while they claimed initialy its for benefitt of wide community... from superego to total egoistic in
very short time.. hmmm why i dont trust to this
types of characters..!?