What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

So what is the deal with phylos these days?

OldCoolSativa

I'll reserve final judgement until things actually shake out but this does indeed look suspicious. It certainly has the slimey fingerprints of David Watson all over it.

Amynamous

Marijuana is a 3-dimensional interactive, experiential plant. The health/ recreational uses for this plant may be without limit. To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing else like it. When the governmental restrictions are removed, big pharm, big tobacco and big alcohol will be coming for it, because there’s 100’s of billions, perhaps trillions of dollars to be made from it. There is a brave new world coming, and crying in your coffee isn’t going to change anything. It’s easier to ride a horse in the direction he’s going.

troutman

Seed Whore
It certainly has the slimey fingerprints of David Watson all over it.

This David Watson? :biggrin:
Segra is extremely excited to have someone with David's knowledge, credibility, and expertise on the advisory board, said Todd McMurray, President/CEO. This appointment is a monumental step forward in developing our worldwide plans to offer the best products for our cannabis micropropagation clients.
From here:

Segra Appoints World-Renowned Cannabis Breeding Expert David Watson to Advisory Board

Watson Will Focus On Breeding Narrow; Leaf Indica And High Terpene Cannabis Varieties.
From here:

Industry Pioneer, David Watson, Joins United Cannabis Corp Advisory Board

J-Icky

I’ve said it in my last post but the reality of the situation is that phylos nor any other “big” company needs to steal anything from us. They have ready access to everything we have plus the tools to take the best traits from multiple plants and put them together to make a single “perfect” plant.

They aren’t gonna care about the ethics the connoisseurs care about. They are gonna create a product to sell to the masses, the people that buy brick weed, which far out number the connoisseur market.

GMO cannabis is the future and is probably already being developed using former cash croppers in legal states that these companies can easily cover up their ties with until the feds make it legal. Ever wonder how the market was suddenly full of terpene rich potent strains and they are coming from breeders that are known to be nothing more than pollen chuckers working with the same pool of genes yet no one else can get the same results? Or even how something like Chemdog can hit the scene yet no one knows where it actually came from, not even the people in the areas where it was claimed to originate from know what it is or had any experience with it until it went across the country and came back?

White Beard

Do *YOU* get to decide what is a “perfect” plant? *I* only get to decide if I’m growing and if I’m not getting my genetics from somewhere else.

You seem to have missed the bulk of the thread. Of course there will be GMO weed, but that doesn’t make it “the future” any more than fast food is “the future”.

Do what you want, but I’m not interested in a future where the lowest common denominator is all anyone can get. You can keep your Soylent Green, I’ll be doing everything I can to stay out of the mousetrap.

Maggotbrain

Yeah missing 30+ year old technology called tissue culture

Except that is not how tissue culture works. Tissue culture is growing plant tissue in a sterile environment and it's a difficult process. You need a very fresh sample with a node and it needs to be cleaned in a very specific way in a bleach solution, not drowned in pure alcohol like Phylos requires. Some days old, dried up stick that comes in the mail aint gonna grow squat. Tissue culture is not like Jurassic Park.

frostqueen

I am yet to see anywhere where they openly admit to doing genetic modification, but honestly: why wouldn't they? Also, interesting that Phylos has said 'no genetic manipulation from Phylos' in the past, but never actually said that they wouldn't help another company do it. Hell, they have never said that they wouldn't start another company and do it.

I'll wait for further facts before freaking out. It would also be nice to hear from Sam or some other Phylos proponents. But just for the sake of rational discussion: how is this any different than what Monsanto has done with corn?

I still dread the idea of genetically modifying cannabis so it is essentially un-cloneable, and I'd guess that goal lies somewhere in the plans if the worst case is true here.

White Beard

Between the vague marketese and the things they carefully *don’t* say, you could drive a fleet of busses in an direction you like.

I’ll say it one more time: IMO it stinks of a set-up. As Frost Queen says, it’s hard *not* to find this troubling.

Dog Star

Veteran
There comes a time when person is somehow awared that he is tricked one...

while still most of them cant belive its actually happends..

Also i dont belive that swimming with a stream will bring you any good as some folks
was give advice..

So how to mittigate effects of Phylos on cannabis comunity???

David Watson performs all kind of shady work from long before... we cant say that
we are not awared,if you will google on this guy there are a lot of folks that have
lot of negative to say about this person..

So we are awared on his negativity while lot of folks sended samples like they send to
best friend... cause this "best friend" promised that this work will not be used further,
and look good all of these naive and good persons bite a hook so deep that they
swollowed also a sinker beside half meter of rig..

am didnt sent one sample as i get something is very wrong with this same person,
and i have experience of him selling me hermi seeds.. while this same person here
on ICMAG is moderator and praised oldest breeder of renown..

So we all learned something... now lets start a action that will mittigate this bad praxis
of some people that have huge credits here.. i dont think with fists or ugly words but
with brain,collect lot of heads on one place and create a tactic to fight this kind
of buissness making,ignore this same breeder cause he layed in your eyes made
you sheeple and naive while i know you are a good people that belived in common
good for community..

Good people need to stand up and fight bad ones when this kind of things happends..

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have the solution!

STOP buying questionable seed so yall can start playing with males and learn to breed for yourselves.
IT IS NOT DIFFICULT! BREEDERS WOULD LIKE YOU TO BELIEVE OTHERWISE.

NOTHING good can be had from those that trick innocent people into giving up their genes so that some joker can collect and distribute, for profit, the works of others.

I AM NOT saying that this is what Phylos is doing. I've not gone through enough details in order to sort that out for myself and no damning evidence has been presented thus far.

I almost sent in some seeds but they would have been F1s of my making so they would not have done a thing for the galaxy, as it was being presented to us, so I opted to not send them in.

And lastly... Because of an article I read many many moons ago, Mr Watson has been suspect of working with the authorities (LEO). Nevil mentions this and he quit working with Sam because of it.

Dog Star

Veteran
We are community... we can act appropriate and made things on better..

but we need to take action,also to aware folks around what is happening in reality
cause i belive many are not awared of size of a scam.. maybe people still sending
samples.. voice need to go out about how folks are tricked on all boards that
our members are active.. soon it will be some result,they will be partialy stopped
in not getting new samples,etc...

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Even by hitting every single board on the planet, the message would only get to about 10% of the consuming population. 90% of the consuming population will not care about the message so long as they get what they want when they want it.

Remove the wind from the sails of the enemies ships by handing out free seeds that you have lovingly made to everybody you know that grows. I've been doing this for at least a decade now and it hasn't even touched the seed giants bottom line.

G

GatorGumbo

Someone early on in this thread mentioned that if Phylos opens "their" catalogue to the masses then they would be a diamond in the rough, but if they turned it into proprietary property then they are screwing the cannabis community. Gotta see how it shakes out, personally.

I will admit that tactics like this are not uncommon in the cannabis industry, and big business is likely to sway laws into pay walling normal people from their needs or desires. God forbid what they think of pulling the rug out from under a bunch of regular Joes for free. Non-human genetics can be patented, as we all came to know thanks to Monsanto and others.

I want to give Phylos the benefit of the doubt, but it's not that kind of industry. It's important to watch what a business does and not what a business says. I think we'll all have to watch this and see where the rabbit hole goes, but no use to jump to conclusions yet.

therevverend

Veteran
One thing I think about when I hear all the talk about GMO cannabis. What are the applications? Round Up ready is the first thing that comes to mind. Adding genes to the plant that make it resistant to all sorts of herbicides, fungicides, and pesticides. Make it more resistant to grey mold? Maybe adding hops genes to make it a perennial vine?

These ideas don't do much for potency and yield, cannabis seems to be fine in these regards. I'm thinking GMO hemp could be very useful the way oil plants like rapeseed and corn are modified. Packing a huge number of GMO hemp plants into a Round Up Ready field that's not for human consumption makes a lot more sense. I don't see much GMO ganja in the future but I'll bet we see GMO hemp in the next few years.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
I pray to the universe that nobody shares my genetic material I contributed to these crooked cocksuckers Riot has exposed these bastards for their bullshit they said they will not be growing, breeding cannabis etc now they are doing just that with stolen genetics... What's next?? Putting patents on all our hard work for these guys to just gain some credit this phylos shit is very fucked if you ask me....

Latest posts

Latest posts