What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Past, the Present, and the Future of Cannabis Breeding

troutman

Seed Whore
The problem with putting investment into synthetic seeds, is the first shipment caught by any country's customs agency, gets you an extradition order. Actual seeds are treated very differently than synthetic ones by most countries. This makes it harder to get big money investments. TC must really be done in the country that will use the end product. This makes scalability very difficult.

Some people who think they are genetic geniuses have issues making normal seeds. :tiphat:

Some people who think they are genetic geniuses have issues making normal seeds. :tiphat:

Its not difficult to create sterile offspring nor is it difficult to induce mutations in the genepool.

Cannabis is a very polymorphic plant.

You would think if they wanted to protect their IP so bad they would drop the whole seed sale model and start selling sterile clones.
If you achieve sterility through selfing than you're basically creating a weaker plant in exchange for a lack of sexual reproduction.

Selfing can cause inbreeding depression, creating a weaker crop thats more susceptible to pests and pathogens each generation.

Just my two cents..

zif

Veteran
Hey! It's just a research project! :D

But seriously, did anyone else finish watching the panel? I'm putting it on now.

I enjoyed it!

Maybe they shouldn’t have disclosed so many details of their secret plot to make achenes great again, but the rest was fun.

The chemotype screening data example was really cool.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
I enjoyed it, too. If you've watched/listened to Chi on other programs before, there were some notes that have already been touched on a lot, but that's a function of the questions and the topics the discussions are confined to. I did pick up on some new stuff from all the speakers which was really cool and the back half of the panel is absolutely worth watching once it gets going. There's something in that talk for everyone; beginner, intermediate, advanced whatever.

There's really no conversation about IP or patents contained therein. These are all just people talking about breeding cannabis. No Phylos comparison to be had and I still don't think the Phylos thing is fully understood. I gotta tread lightly here because 'Phylos' is a lightning rod on this forum. I'll just leave it at that.

stashpot

These companies patenting the genetics and acting federal are the ones stealing it from the real breeding community without a worry in the world.

CaptainDankness

I enjoyed it, too. If you've watched/listened to Chi on other programs before, there were some notes that have already been touched on a lot, but that's a function of the questions and the topics the discussions are confined to. I did pick up on some new stuff from all the speakers which was really cool and the back half of the panel is absolutely worth watching once it gets going. There's something in that talk for everyone; beginner, intermediate, advanced whatever.

There's really no conversation about IP or patents contained therein. These are all just people talking about breeding cannabis. No Phylos comparison to be had and I still don't think the Phylos thing is fully understood. I gotta tread lightly here because 'Phylos' is a lightning rod on this forum. I'll just leave it at that.

I've been wondering about Phylos, whatever happened to them? They were supposed to breed weed far superior to anything we can do. I was almost excited to see this super weed that's somehow going to be better than the best clones available.

I really can't see it getting much better, though it definitely has gotten better since Neville's seed company in the 80's, I don't give a fuck what the hippies say about Coulumbian Gold. Lol

Of course, Phylos is going to have to produce auto flowering plants that are sterile or I'm going to clone and chuck pollen on them. Lol, would be cool if they could create a blueberry muffin strain where every seed grew that perfect phenotype, I just don't think they can do it.

I can't see anything more than selecting 100 top notch females and licensing them to dispensaries, but their is bound to be a few cool people working in these greenhouses that will take a little snipping for friends and family that will do the same, until it takes over the underground market like Sour Diesel and OG, meanwhile Phylos can get fucked cause we're going to steal their hard work and I just can't wait. :dance013:

They going to learn about White Widow the Dutch way. :pirate:

troutman

Seed Whore
Yeah Sam and Rob and Segra are out to get you and steal all your genetics lmao.

goodfellas_helicopter.jpg

clearheaded

The problem with putting investment into synthetic seeds, is the first shipment caught by any country's customs agency, gets you an extradition order. Actual seeds are treated very differently than synthetic ones by most countries. This makes it harder to get big money investments. TC must really be done in the country that will use the end product. This makes scalability very difficult.

uh? this is legal market, seed potatoes get shipped great distances, bees do aswell. custom forms and import permits and export permits are all filled out.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I've been wondering about Phylos, whatever happened to them? They were supposed to breed weed far superior to anything we can do. I was almost excited to see this super weed that's somehow going to be better than the best clones available.

A quick search of Google news shows minimal press activity since mid-2019, but here are a few:

https://www.cannabisbusinesstimes.com/article/robert-clarke-resign-phylos-bioscience-cannabis-breeding/ - Robert C. Clarke: Why I’ve Resigned From the Phylos Bioscience Scientific Advisory Board

Its actions raised simple questions: “Is Phylos working for me, the boutique grower, by protecting my hard-won heritage with their Galaxy? Or, do they have a hidden agenda?” Most insulting was Phylos discounting the crowd-sourced science and personal initiative that produced our amazingly diverse Cannabis cultivars. Without the international culture of clandestine cannabis growers and breeders, Phylos and other Cannabis genomics companies would have little space to occupy today.

https://mjbizdaily.com/phylos-bioscience-causes-cannabis-industry-disturbance-in-big-ag-video/ - How Phylos Bioscience sent shockwaves through the cannabis industry with ‘Big Ag’ disclosure

https://www.wweek.com/news/2019/05/22/a-betrayal-by-a-leader-of-oregons-cannabis-industry-shows-how-the-weed-business-went-from-down-home-to-cutthroat/ - A Betrayal By a Leader of Oregon’s Cannabis Industry Shows How the Weed Business Went From Down Home to Cutthroat

https://mjbizdaily.com/how-cannabis-companies-can-protect-intellectual-property-in-the-wake-of-the-phylos-bioscience-uproar/ - How cannabis companies can protect intellectual property in the wake of Phylos Bioscience uproar

Of course, Phylos is going to have to produce auto flowering plants that are sterile or I'm going to clone and chuck pollen on them.

You just simply can't make this shit up... Autoflower Fems

----------------------------------------

AutoCBD | Reliable, feminized hemp seeds

Phylos AutoCBD is a compact, short-season hemp crop ideal for low cost farming production and extraction.

For career farmers, sourcing reliable seed is the biggest decision factor in producing a competitive crop buyers want. Phylos AutoCBD is the first wave of improved CBD hemp seed offering growers predictable, stable results in the field.
Phylos AutoCBD Hemp Seed bag

Phylos AutoCBD is a compact, short-season hemp crop ideal for low-cost farming production and extraction.

• Avoids industry bottlenecks and harvest in just 75 days
• Lowers your risk with lab-verified feminization rates
• Better suppresses weeds with dense planting canopy
• Lowers labor costs with mechanized harvest
• Protects your investment with low-risk chemical ratio (26:1 Total CBD to Total THC ratio)

Highest feminization rates

With lab-verified feminization rates* of 99.98%+, you can avoid the risk of high cost accidental pollination.
AutoCBD Hemp Field
Trialed across the US

Phylos AutoCBD was evaluated at more than 35 sites across the US in the summer of 2019, with ongoing trials to more deeply understand how it grows in every climate.

Short-season crop

Reaching maturity in an average of 75 days, Phylos AutoCBD is an optimal choice for staggered harvests or pairing with a photosensitive variety.

Optimized for extraction

Phylos AutoCBD plants grow more flower per plant than stems and stalks, meaning less unwanted byproduct and higher value per pound for your processor.

Easy-to-grow compact size

Grow 10,000 plants per acre for better weed suppressions and more biomass per acre than orchard-style photosensitive varieties.

Our Quality Standards

Phylos AutoCBD hemp seeds are backed by rigorous analysis that includes chemical, germination, genetic, and feminization testing.

Our pre-harvest Certificate of Analysis (or COA) complies with Oregon’s sampling laws (28 days prior to harvest). Download the COA for AutoCBD (PDF).

We’re bringing hemp into mainstream agriculture by implementing industry-leading quality control standards such as:

• Germination testing
• Feminization analysis
• Precise seed weighing technology
• Heat-sealed packaging
Phylos Tested

Phylos Genotype Testing

The Phylos Genotype Test is a powerful tool for understanding your plants, showing identical clone matches, how they’re related to varieties around the world, and insight into their breeding potential.

Farmers can now learn more about the genetic makeup of AutoCBD on the Phylos Galaxy and its Genotype Report. The test results from December 11, 2019, showed no relatives in the Galaxy, meaning Phylos is not only the first to genotype AutoCBD (or NBS CBD-1) but also no other samples in the Galaxy are genetically related. Because AutoCBD is an autoflower variety, there are also no clones due the inability to keep clones of autoflower plants.

* The feminization rate of AutoCBD is >99.98% based on lab results showing zero males in 4,304 plants. It is expected that the feminization rate is much higher but would require larger samples (>43K to get a rate of >99.998%, >430K for a rate of >99.9998%).

Phylos recommends planting approximately 10,000 AutoCBD seeds per acre. Phylos AutoCBD is now available in quantities as low as 5,000 seeds.

Doesn't matter how much lash back phylos received they already have the data that they were looking for, and they're very much still in business and prospering as well...
I knew from day one they were up to something, and to be honest if I ran the phylos galaxy project i would be looking for very different data.

They wanted a efficient map of the cannabis genome so they could in turn create their own legal "super variety" to market, just like everyone else trying to operate federally.

I remember when Phylos was making claims they created the first stable F1 hybrid in existence..

Phylos galaxy is a cosmetically improved database, but still uses the seed_finder mapping algorithm, alicia holloway even mentioned it in a youtube video.

Seems like its always a quest to protect a monopoly on a genetically refined "super cultivar"

The science industry is trying sooooo hard to integrate with the illicit cannabis industry, but really from what I've seen is people with PhDs and more privilege trying to replace people who've been studying the same science, lowkey in their closets for decades, without corporate investors.

We live in a weird world ~

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Doesn't matter how much lash back phylos received they already have the data that they were looking for, and they're very much still in business and prospering as well...
I knew from day one they were up to something, and to be honest if I ran the phylos galaxy project i would be looking for very different data.

They wanted a efficient map of the cannabis genome so they could in turn create their own legal "super variety" to market, just like everyone else trying to operate federally.

I remember when Phylos was making claims they created the first stable F1 hybrid in existence..

Phylos galaxy is a cosmetically improved database, but still uses the seed_finder mapping algorithm, alicia holloway even mentioned it in a youtube video.

Seems like its always a quest to protect a monopoly on a genetically refined "super cultivar"

The science industry is trying sooooo hard to integrate with the illicit cannabis industry, but really from what I've seen is people with PhDs and more privilege trying to replace people who've been studying the same science, lowkey in their closets for decades, without corporate investors.

We live in a weird world ~

Take solace... I am sure there is ton of data to mine, but phenotype and smoke reports are not among them! :dancer: - From Robert C. Clarke article above:

"There exists a persistent yet nebulus feeling amongst members of our community that raw Cannabis genome data is of great value, and possibly someday it will be of great value, but to say that data Phylos collected from donated samples is of great value would be speculative at best. There is great anticipation surrounding the advances in variety improvement that will be made using the potentially powerful tool of marker-assisted breeding to isolate the genes for rare traits. Marker-assisted breeding relies on phenotype data characterizing the plants the genomic data is collected from. It is difficult to find genetic markers for a trait in the absence of a plant that expresses that trait. Without phenotype data the genomic data is debased and of less value to variety development research. This is why genomics companies will all end up either growing their own plants and collecting their own genomic data (or contracting someone else to do it for them) to support their variety improvement programs. "

None of these law enforcement connected clowns understand Cannabis breeding from what I can tell. Especially the tissue cultists. What the fuck are they trying to do? No one wants the garbage they'll produce, absolutely no one.

2 things they simply do not understand

A) You're NOT going to get a good fatty acid profile in a commercial (hydro) setting. Waste all the time you want, nothing is going to shine in a commercial setting Name one dairy cattle breeder who breeds for skim milk. Name one dog breeder who feeds Ol Roy. Puppy mills and factory farms aren't breeding operations. I don't care how you breed Cannabis, it's not going to translate as anything special to commercial operations.

B) You're going to "clean" the plant of its microbes? DO THESE PEOPLE DRINK FUCKIN BLEACH? More cells in the plant are microbes than plant tissue, youre a clown if you think a strain is still a strain after stripping out its microbes.

The past present and future of Cannabis breeding is apparently subjective. To me it was breeding for fatty acid profiles, it is breeding for fatty acid profiles, and it will be breeding for fatty acid profiles. If you think inputs and microbes aren't the biggest influence, you're not a Cannabis breeder, you're a fraud. If you think ANYTHING else is more important in defining the strength potency smell taste effect medical properties and yield of Cannabis oil, you're not a breeder, you're a fraud.

Frauds lies and manipulations define this industry, it's disgusting. We all know why the DEA takes the whole plant, pot and all when they raid someone growing the Skunks. They fuckin timed their raids around preservation of the genetics for fucks same. I'm tired of hearing "there's no research on Cannabis because it's illegal wahhhh..." Pharma has been collecting and studying Cannabis for 8 God damned decades..

...CR500AF...

Yes I have to agree Crusty,big pharma knows alot more about cannabis then they want to tell us.
I believe it was some of the first med's used i think they know it very well.

CaptainDankness

Damn, that Phylos strain sounds somewhat promising. Another thing I just read is that they want to limit smokable medical marijuana to 10% THC in Florida and sounds like the feds are on the same track. Nevil was right, I remember he said something like " they may legalize weed but they won't legalize good weed."

I'm sure Phylos could make a 10% strain, but I don't think the worst cannabis breeder in the industry has a 10%THC strain available.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisr...UcVGI_iyHi1xGY4z0eskWEL_hrjLXs5qm6AFe3DvRX1lk

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
uh? this is legal market, seed potatoes get shipped great distances, bees do aswell. custom forms and import permits and export permits are all filled out.

Depends where you live. Not a legal market here by any stretch, not unless you're married to someone in the home office

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
My problem with a lot of there thinking is they some how think cannabis is broken and its there job to fix it.Not that long ago recreational cannabis was medical cannabis and had been for 1000s of years now some in the industry think by adding rudaralis to remove the high or stone from the plant makes it more medical.