What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Starke's Story: An LED Tale

starke

Update Flower Day 28

Update Flower Day 28

Four weeks in and I've hit a slight snag:

The Sour Orange Diesel plant has taken on a yellow tint and the leaf tips and edges are brown/purple. Looks sort of like a K deficiency but the other three plants are not showing symptoms nor are the clones and veg plants being fed the same feed. Feed is Jacks/Calnit in equal volume at .7ec and ph 5.6 to 6.0. Had been running around .9 - 1.0ec but was beginning to see a little tip burn so I dialed it back.

Runoff from the plant is .8ec with a ph of 6.1 and is in line with the runoff from the other three plants. Looks like a lockout but that does not make sense. Root zone problem perhaps? If so that will be a first in my Hempy Buckets. I'm open for diagnosis, opinions or anything that might help. Here's a look:

picture.php

At any rate the buds are continuing to develop, although not as fast as the other ladies. Here's a pic across the canopy. The Sour Orange Diesel is the second plant from the front. Kind of obvious where the yellow begins:

picture.php

Forgot to mention that the mystery girl was harvested last week. She just went into a jar this morning. Smoke report at a later date.

Peace,
starke

M

mrghost

Four weeks in and I've hit a slight snag:

The Sour Orange Diesel plant has taken on a yellow tint and the leaf tips and edges are brown/purple. Looks sort of like a K deficiency but the other three plants are not showing symptoms nor are the clones and veg plants being fed the same feed. Feed is Jacks/Calnit in equal volume at .7ec and ph 5.6 to 6.0. Had been running around .9 - 1.0ec but was beginning to see a little tip burn so I dialed it back.

Runoff from the plant is .8ec with a ph of 6.1 and is in line with the runoff from the other three plants. Looks like a lockout but that does not make sense. Root zone problem perhaps? If so that will be a first in my Hempy Buckets. I'm open for diagnosis, opinions or anything that might help. Here's a look:

View Image

At any rate the buds are continuing to develop, although not as fast as the other ladies. Here's a pic across the canopy. The Sour Orange Diesel is the second plant from the front. Kind of obvious where the yellow begins:

View Image

Forgot to mention that the mystery girl was harvested last week. She just went into a jar this morning. Smoke report at a later date.

Peace,
starke

They already seem to be yellowing in the pics from day 21.

1. If the roots are rotting you should be able to smell it if you take a good sniff close to the perlite.

2. You can lift the plant by the stem and test how secure it feels. Root problems often cause the plant to sit rather loose (which is not noticeable if you are using a trellis).

starke

They already seem to be yellowing in the pics from day 21.

1. If the roots are rotting you should be able to smell it if you take a good sniff close to the perlite.

2. You can lift the plant by the stem and test how secure it feels. Root problems often cause the plant to sit rather loose (which is not noticeable if you are using a trellis).

Dug down to the roots on top and no foul smell there or at the bottom of the bucket at the drain hole. The roots I can see at the drain hole are white.

I know what you mean about a plant feeling loose. Even though she is woven tightly into the screen, I'm not feeling any slop in the bucket. Still got me scratching my head.

brickweeder

I ran into a root rot problem in a all perlite hempy in the summer that cause similar symptoms in a golden tiger, the temps got too hot and a small section of the root zone had root rot (you could smell it in the runoff water). Started to use hydroguard, and that seemed to stop the rot and I finished her up. On inspection, there was maybe a 3 inch square zone of root rot along one side of the bucket at the bottom. The smell in the runoff was the tell, as mr. ghost mentioned.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks great in there! nice scrog and nice buds! i think you'll still get a good yield off the unhappy one, it already being 4 weeks in... might be worth checking that the plant or its pot isn't in a cold spot or cold draft somehow, could be any number of things though.
VG :tiphat:

M

mrghost

Dug down to the roots on top and no foul smell there or at the bottom of the bucket at the drain hole. The roots I can see at the drain hole are white.

I know what you mean about a plant feeling loose. Even though she is woven tightly into the screen, I'm not feeling any slop in the bucket. Still got me scratching my head.

Well at least you know the roots are OK. This far into flower it's a bummer. It's hard to regulate and test the outcome when you're that far into flower. How many days is she supposed to flower.

I stopped having nutrient issues when I switched to no-till but I remember having similar issues when slightly overfeeding certain nutrients, causing others to get locked out. It's such a common problem when you run different strains on the same regime.

Is this the first time flowering this exact plant (or clone , sorry I didn't fully follow the thread).

starke

brickweeder: Thanks for the info. I kind of think that's what I'm dealing with even though I have not been able to identify it yet.

VerdantGreen: Had not even thought about that. We finally started getting some much cooler weather about two weeks ago. Think I'll get some root zone night temps tonight. Thank you.

mrghost: I've run this strain two other times without issue. She finishes between eight and nine weeks so I've still got four plus weeks to go.

starke

Update Flower Day 35

Update Flower Day 35

Today closes out five weeks of 12/12 and the ladies continue doing their thing. Buds are growing well, even on the Sour Orange Diesel which continues to look like fido's ass. Nothing else much new - just kinda of on cruise control if all holds together for the next three to four weeks.

The ladies a few minutes ago:

picture.php

Peace,
starke

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Nice canopy, I'm currently reworking my scrog screens to fit my current grow space. I'm tuning in...

Look at that sea of spears! My fingers got sticky just looking at that. Aside from the noted yellowing, it looks like they are stacking up rather nicely. I'm envious of the even canopy. I've all but given up on having a flat canopy with all the varieties I run. Hows the girls smelling? Any of them a partictular favorite?

starke

Look at that sea of spears! My fingers got sticky just looking at that. Aside from the noted yellowing, it looks like they are stacking up rather nicely. I'm envious of the even canopy. I've all but given up on having a flat canopy with all the varieties I run. Hows the girls smelling? Any of them a partictular favorite?

Thanks FrozenFire. In all honesty, the camera is my friend when it comes to the canopy. There is probably six inches difference in the various tops across the screen but the camera does not make that difference as obvious. The smell when you first unzip the door is pure rotten grapefruit/oranges and is coming from the Sour Orange Diesel. She is the stinky one this round so far.

Happy New Year to you and yours.

starke

Update Flower Day 42

Update Flower Day 42

Six weeks in today and the ladies are all about getting fat now. Even the Sour Orange Diesel continues to chunk up in spite of markedly purple leaves. I have cut the feed back to .6ec in preparation for beginning the flush in another day or so. These strains finish in the eight to nine week range typically and appear to be on track, although the BBxWW may be a little ahead of the others.

The Canopy:

picture.php

Sour Orange Diesel Bud:

picture.php

Tripleberry Bud:

picture.php

Liberty Haze Bud:

picture.php

Peace,
starke

starke

Update Flower Day 49

Update Flower Day 49

Seven weeks down and the ladies continue to chunk up. I began the flush on Wednesday and the ladies have faded noticeably already. The BBxWW appears the farthest along with probably 50% of the trichs being cloudy. All will go through week eight anyway.

I had thought about building a second layer for the SCROG screen for a while and just never got around to it. Wednesday morning when I unzipped the doors it looked like a tornado had gone through the canopy, buds laying over every which way. Guess a bunch of the buds all reached critical mass around the same time and outweighed their stems. I put all my yo yos away about a year ago but had to break them out and get creative. An X across the canopy with paracord took care of the problem.

Here's a couple of before lights on pics. Will try and post some individual bud pics later:

picture.php

picture.php

Peace,
starke

olday

Veteran
That space looks amazingly well dialed in, still have to dig through the entire thread but the current run looks really well done!

starke

That space looks amazingly well dialed in, still have to dig through the entire thread but the current run looks really well done!

Thanks for the compliment. It is an ever evolving process that began a little over two years ago. I'm finally about where I want to be.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Beautiful buds and scrog there mate. The smell of the orange sour diesel sounds lovely. :) I can’t wait to get some new genes blooming.