What's new

Thinking of using local soil...maybe?

Scrappy4

Veteran
Well tried a few searches here and there, but I am looking for a ratio chart or guideline when amending soils, and amounts to be applied per gal, per cu ft, or per cu yard.........basically I have 80 yards of a local organic compost mix....compost made of vegetation trimmings(done to OMRI specs), rice hulls, sawdust, iron sulfate, poultry manure, and gypsum......was going to add small amount of Napa#8822 or perlite, kelp meal, rock phosphate, alfalfa meal, and maybe some suggestions? I was thinking of 200gal and 400gal for the plants to live well in, and these will be mixed with my native soil and planted in ground not in pots, maybe a few homemade smart pot type beds with a plant or 2.
Anyways without getting to yelled at or banned for being a typical newbie and asking ....but as asked above any info on where to figure how much of each amendment would need to be added to said amounts of soil/compost mix....thanks again to any and all that respond.

It may be worth your while due to the amounts you listed to get a soil test done. Barring that I would add minerals but go light on amendments. It just seems like the only way to screw up your mix would be to over do it and that's too much soil to fail....scrappy

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Thanks Scrappy..;)

Goldminer...you can't get banned in this thread asking 'crazy' shit like that bro..that's truth here.

It really depends on what amendment and how much was added on the last recycles AND keeping track of the breakdown rates of each amendment.

Typically 1 to 2 cups kelp meal per cubic foot of soil mix,etc,etc,...cannabis feeds,but not like the hydro-store guy would have you think.

There is really no set rate for this recycling stuff...save for the 3 little birds method,and to me that's just outdated and uses things I would not.

Imagine most of these amendments breakdown over a period of 4 to 6 months...so couple that with the type of cannabis grown....what kind of feeder is it? Imagine how much of each amendment was consumed by the soil/plant relationship on each cycle and then adjust with what you think may be the proper amount of any specific amendment...(guess or measure).

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Thanx Capt.Cheeze1.....I am having soil tested and will get proper portions handled when all results come back, and did some math on others adventures and their portions after a few days of reading and separating all the drama in most of the threads finding info, what a pain and these threads these days just get too much like high school, thanks again for the info and help.......this just isnt my kinda place, I like info and good conversation, but too many kids in the forums nowadays that cause more harm then good , maybe someday there will be a true cannabis site!!!
Wurd~
It's a roller coaster ride of misinformation as well as gold due to the legality issues of cannabis.
When all else fails...get that soil test for sure..why not.
CC1

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Kewl...she's so old she deserves it..thank Coot for bringing her into this world in 1984..
...weird man...I gotz way better pix than that..?.?right on..kewl mang....:)

Bullfrog44

Veteran
Capt.Cheeze1 - Is this mix what you would use for large outdoor plants? Is this your "premium mix" or just an affordable one? I am looking for a really top notch soil for my cannabis and veggie garden. I will be growing in mounds and need yards of soil, thanks for your time.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am looking for a really top notch soil for my cannabis and veggie garden. I will be growing in mounds and need yards of soil, thanks for your time.

use your existing soil and make it better. you would be surprised what you can grow dank in organically outdoors. less soil, less work, bigger and better plants.

have you been making compost all winter?

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
The mix I'm running now is over two years old...this is the ultimate mix IMO..it evolves and grows in mass......I just keep re-amending as well as experimenting with no-till.
I would not use this mix outdoors. Like Jaykush says...take your existing soils and 'beef' it up with some compost and aeration amendments...and of course adding our favorite goodies such as rock dusts,guano's,kelp,etc...

If you must you can use regular ol' peat from places like Home Depot...it's cheap enough and just make sure it's peat and nothing else was incorporated in the packaging of the material...like chemical additives for whatever reason. I'm positive they don't adjust it so you'll have to do that yourself.
It improves soil quality,loosens and bulks it up...just make sure to adjust with liming agents and EWC/compost.

S

schwagg

there's no way i'd buy peat again. i'm almost to the point of having my own compost and my own EWC for any soil recycle. if i had outdoor beds, i'd be knee deep in top notch compost and chuckin' EWC's as much as i could.

Bullfrog44

Veteran
use your existing soil and make it better. you would be surprised what you can grow dank in organically outdoors. less soil, less work, bigger and better plants.

have you been making compost all winter?

Half of my yard is re-used soil from my last three years of organic gardening. The other half is an old lawn that has since died off. I am going to till the lawn half and add fresh organic materials. I also wanted to add all the needed amendments.

I have made about 15 gal of compost and 10 gal of EWC to start with this year. However I am going to need about 3 yards of soil to start things off right.

there's no way i'd buy peat again. i'm almost to the point of having my own compost and my own EWC for any soil recycle. if i had outdoor beds, i'd be knee deep in top notch compost and chuckin' EWC's as much as i could.

This is an options. So far I was thinking of buying a yard of EWC, a yard of organic compost, and a yard or two of 5/16 lava rocks. Mix that up with some amendments, guanos, kelp, azomite, ext. I was thinking of also adding a yard of peat to the mix, but maybe that isn't needed.

I would not use this mix outdoors. Like Jaykush says...take your existing soils and 'beef' it up with some compost and aeration amendments...and of course adding our favorite goodies such as rock dusts,guano's,kelp,etc...

If you must you can use regular ol' peat from places like Home Depot...it's cheap enough and just make sure it's peat and nothing else was incorporated in the packaging of the material...like chemical additives for whatever reason. I'm positive they don't adjust it so you'll have to do that yourself.
It improves soil quality,loosens and bulks it up...just make sure to adjust with liming agents and EWC/compost.

I have seen these bags of peat you speak of. Home Depot has some crap brand with added chemicals, but I am sure I can find some at orchard or something. The only problem is a yard is a lot of bags. I will look into it however.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
What happens when an exhaust fan timer fails in a 6k room and it reaches 125 for 9 hours......

....shit happens....poor little Blue Orca

picture.php

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
Holy cow, read the whole thread, came for the soil info, stayed for the plant pics. You've convinced me for sure, off to do some micro excavation of the forests around here for my next soil run.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Velvet Rush x NL/Haze F3 male

This male plant fell and started itself as seed from the Mother plant that had lived in the very same pot.

In other words...the mother and father grew up together in the same pot. The mother was seeded by the father and the father destroyed. The mother was allowed to continue to flower and develop seed. The seed fell to the soil and the mother plant was harvested. This male is her bastard son who was started his life by germinating and sprouting in the very same pot with NO involvement from I except water and light. The spots are a bit of neem oil overspray from a nearby unrelated plant who is supporting a PM attack. This VR x NL/Haze cross is 100% PM resistant!!!!!!!!

picture.php

picture.php

This male was saved and will pollenate a cut from the original mother...I think.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts