What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

any fly fishermen/ladies out there?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I hate buying new flyrods online ..need to hit up orvis when I get back east. I tend to use a line weight higher than the rod is labeled

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I caught stripers in the Chesapeake Bay on a 9/10 Reddington on an 10" Fenwick stick... Lots of fun.. and a work-out casting!

Here's my best buddy (R.I.P. man) with a 65 lb. Pacific sailfish on a fly rod....

Attachments

• J's big sail.jpg
    J's big sail.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 46

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I miss the tarpon ....my absolute favorite fish to catch on fly rod......I need to go visit the keys for a few weeks sometime again

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
I go fly fishing…male and am Australian. In my local mountain streams and rivers rainbow and brown trout thrive. G Loomis 5 weight rod, an old GL3 but it does the job..,.,take along my .30-06 as well in case I see a deer.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I miss the tarpon ....my absolute favorite fish to catch on fly rod......I need to go visit the keys for a few weeks sometime again

I want to go back down & try for snook on a fly rod. love fishing for them rascals...I've hooked a tarpon before (spinning gear), looks like too much work for a lazy old bastard like me, LOL!:biggrin:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
ya its work ..I generally cheat by chumming with pilchards or similar bait fish to get em in close...lived in the keys for a few years ..only thing I miss is the fishing especially the flats fishing.....

armedoldhippy

Veteran
spring is headed our way. i need to buy a high(er)-end fly reel with a good drag to go with the 9' 6" graphite surf-stik. a regular no-drag fly reel is an invitation to disaster when a big hybrid or rockfish hits your streamer & heads toward a different zip code...:woohoo:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
anyone on here flyfishing in saltwater, or for salmon? looking for suggestions about an AFFORDABLE fly reel with a decent drag system. getting tired of the backlashes that result when something grabs a fly & heads downriver in a big-ass hurry...I lose lots of flies that way, LOL! :biggrin:

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
anyone on here flyfishing in saltwater, or for salmon? looking for suggestions about an AFFORDABLE fly reel with a decent drag system. getting tired of the backlashes that result when something grabs a fly & heads downriver in a big-ass hurry...I lose lots of flies that way, LOL! :biggrin:

For top quality gear for a reasonable price, check out "Reddington" reels....You won't be disappointed...and their disc-drag system is amazingly smooth...

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
For top quality gear for a reasonable price, check out "Reddington" reels....You won't be disappointed...and their disc-drag system is amazingly smooth...

went and checked them out yesterday, like what I see. drag seemed VERY smooth, and under $90 to boot. thanks for posting on them....:tiphat:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I have never used scented sprays on a fly..or a salmon egg....that's cheating...... I finally got my lighted magnifier setup..the cheap plastic mounting clamp finally gave out ..so I got a steel rod and drilled a hole in a wood area by my couch..its perfect...now I got to find my fly vise or get another...everything else I got still...yeehaw

Latest posts

Latest posts