What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

any fly fishermen/ladies out there?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Wife told me a story a few years ago...

We used to live near Montgomery reservoir in Colorado. It has a spillway where trout like to gather on the regular, and is a popular fishing spot because of it. One day she was there with ours and a few other kids fishing. A fellow, decked out in a load of expensive gear, was fly fishing on the other side of the spillway.

My wife and I were once fortunate enough to be schooled by a masterful fisherman in the area and had no issues catching trout, but the kids were using all the poles.. On the other side, this poor fellow was not having much luck at all.

My wife wanted to fish, so she did what we were taught, only she used a spool of 12lb test, no leader, a brown ant looking fly and a bobber. (We simply use 5 to 6 feet of 12lb test as our leader). She pulled 15 feet of line off the spool, threw it in the spillway headed for the dead still area and caught a nice trout in about 30 seconds.

That poor fellow packed up all his gear and left in a big huff. Lol ;)

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I took that a few years back somewhere near Roanoke in the Virginia Blue Ridge - James River drainage. I just did a quick search on inaturalist and I'm going to say Callibaetis sp. Baetids are tough to ID, as nymphs anyway.
i'm starting to look at them as trout prob do these days. it's little, REAL little, medium, or big; and its brown, green, black or yellow...if you are close on the size & color, they'll eat it. i've heard of guys tying them all white, and coloring them with magic markers on the stream bank, lol...makes a kind of sense if you think about it.:good:

PanchoVerde

i'm starting to look at them as trout prob do these days. it's little, REAL little, medium, or big; and its brown, green, black or yellow...if you are close on the size & color, they'll eat it. i've heard of guys tying them all white, and coloring them with magic markers on the stream bank, lol...makes a kind of sense if you think about it.:good:
Yep, I think if you are close to what is hatching it's mostly going to work. Especially if it's a frenzy.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
In order for the fly to land in someones fly box, it has to catch "the eye" of the fisherman LOL. I have seen a day that was slow on a brand new yellow humpy. They would lite, but no necessarily take. Once I caught a couple of trout and the fly became dilapidated, I was reeling them in. I still have that fly.
Yep, I think if you are close to what is hatching it's mostly going to work. Especially if it's a frenzy.
:good: Hence why I used to carry a portable fly tying box in my truck. Takes 10 minutes to whip up a concoction.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
walleye, white bass, rockfish & the hybrids starting their spawning run in local rivers. time to go wading with my fly rod and get my ass handed to me by something that doesn't even slow down heading toward Knoxville...i love it! gotta tie some streamers using a slightly thinner hook. lost some big smallmouth last spring because i was using a larger fly that i tied for the rockfish. could NOT bury those hooks with 8# tippet. i don't want to go to a 10 weight rod and 12 lb tippet, but i will if i have to... :love:

MountainSkunk

Hi guys I'm a fly fisherman from Italy, nice to meet you all! 😁
Screenshot_2024-02-27-00-06-27-940_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
Screenshot_2024-02-27-00-05-49-095_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts