What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

any fly fishermen/ladies out there?

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
I live not far from the fishin highway in the cariboo chilcotin region of BC. high country lakes full of rainbows to huge proportions. I see am awful lot of USA licence plates around these parts. From ice off to ice on , this place is paradise for the Stillwater fly fisherman. There are more lakes within a 100 mile radius here than I can fish in a lifetime. One of my favorite things to do is slip into the water in my 20 year old browning float tube and neoprene waders and cast a fly on a high country lake. My specialty is deep water chironimid fishing with full sink line.hhhhhmmmmm but my next favorite is surely the late season caddis hatches. Big inch long cinamons and those 1/2 inch fat olives. So many sizes and varieties to match. Then there's those darker days of late autumn, so cold the ice is starting form up around the lake shore. All the while, the dragonfly nymphs of various types are migrating to find burrows in the mud and decaying vegetation, or moving to much deeper water depending on their life cycles.
The big trout smash those nymphs with such ferocity as they are had retrieved on a 15 ft sink tip , type 5..... though I should using a 6 hehehe .
ahhhhh flyfishing. Haven't done any in a while, been too busy chasing my favorite local table fish, kokanee (landlocked sockeye salmon). They take a full sink line, trolled blood worm , san juan worm or just a small shred of red dazzle dubbing over fine leaded hook wrapped over with red thread, raking the dub into a little mini leach. I like to troll those with the electric at about a foot or less per second.

ya, no one can tell I like flyfishing hahaha

N

Navigator

I recently won a nice 9/10 weight Van Staal CVEX reel at a Ducks Unlimited dinner.
Ive done plenty of fresh water fly fishing in my day but Im at a loss as to what to put on it to fish for Stipers in the surf here. Also have to find a reasonably priced rod .
Any recommendations?

I would look into a TFO Deer Creek or Redington Dually two-handed spey rod. Both priced reasonably. TFO has the best warranty. The length will get you over the surf and an overhand two-hand cast can wing them out there.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I love fly fishing! I fish mostly for bass but when the chromes come in I can't resist!

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
local lake has to drop 4 more feet to return upper stretch to its natural river state. couple of sets of rapids & a low-head dam that concentrate fish. "fish" being striped bass, hybrids, largemouth, smallmouth, white and spotted bass, white & black crappie, huge bluegill (stripers cull them, lol), shellcrackers, and HUGE flathead, blue & channel cats. i've got my chest waders, wading shoes & flyrods ready to go! tossing big (4" and longer) streamer flies can be dangerous to your sanity. one of these days i'll buy a fly reel with a drag, lol!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
early rise in temps this year; if shad start their spring spawn run, the predators will be in the shoals waiting for them. time to get out there...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
way over 100 species of ephemeroptera out there. never seen any with absolutely clear wings like that, very neat. trout love 'em regardless of their names. the hexagenia, or giant burrowing mayfly (aka "brown drake"), looks a lot like that. any idea where picture was taken? help to narrow it down... that hatch comes off around here in mid-June, but is sporadic.

PanchoVerde

I took that a few years back somewhere near Roanoke in the Virginia Blue Ridge - James River drainage. I just did a quick search on inaturalist and I'm going to say Callibaetis sp. Baetids are tough to ID, as nymphs anyway.