What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2 x 400w stacked multi-strain gimmick with blumats & sexy soil

2 x 400w stacked multi-strain gimmick with blumats & sexy soil

• Purple Peyote x Querkle [Hammerhead]

Votes: 41 51.9%
  • Blubonic [SOL]

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Blue Satellite 2.2 [SOL]

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Hashberry [Mandala]

Votes: 21 26.6%

• Total voters

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
i stole heady's ideas for my rez too ...... and it works perfectly!

are you running your pump 24/7?

aw :shucks:

thanks guys!

i got the remote res idea from someone else in the blumat thread. i wish i remembered who did it first so i could give them credit.

but i definitely jumped on the concept once i saw it.

and i drew that handy dandy diagram :D (although it's missing the anti-syphon hole yall were just discussing).

silver hawaiian

Veteran
bud-boy

Hey man, so happy to see you in here! Just happy to see you HERE at all, let alone IN here, with this stinkin' Bster!

greenmatter All set on drainage, both ways. Increased the drain from 3/4" to 1", and drilled a small hole in the bucket-filling-pipe, just under the "full" water level. This way, there's no errant spray from the vent hole (as it all goes into the bucket anyway), but the vent hole is positioned so that only about 1/2" of water has to drain from the bucket itself before the vent is exposed and kicks in.. :dance:

I'm going to be moving the non-performing cuts into the old school setup, as a last ditch deal. They've been in the bucket for 14 days - by now, they'd have roots about 8" long. Instead, they just have little wads of white snot on the bottom of 'em.

So I'll be moving 'em from the bucket into the old fashioned clonex n' rapid rooters, on a tray on a heat mat, under a dome.

Here's the question: Do I make new cuts at the bottom of each cutting, and give a few fresh scrapes, or just dip & set?

I feel like I'd like to get any ooginess off of the bottom of the cut, but any input is always better than being left to my own devices.. :chin:

silver hawaiian

Veteran
:yeahthats:

Done and done. Good call. They all came out of the pucks, into some clonex for a few minutes, and then into some rapid rooters, under the dome, on the heat mat. All the snotty ends got cut, and a few got scraped. You can thank beers with dinner & a quart of Sol, but a few even got fresh scrapes. A few.

I did notice on the BBK #4, as I pulled it out of the puck, .. It had ROOTS! Not out of the bottom, but about 2" from the bottom, right under the bottom of the neoprene puck, .. ?! Score.

All else fails, we'll make some copies of the Old Granddad - she needs it anyway, super duper blooper bushy..

:artist:

Last edited:

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
I've always had the best luck when trying to root cuttings if I make sure at least two nodes are dipped or submerged or buried or however you like to clone. the internodal stem seems less inclined to root, especially w/o hormone gel.

lil~greensprout

Living life large...
Veteran
Hey Silver, a few questions...what's the water temps in your cloner ?
70 to 75 degrees is best anything over 80 and there tends to be a
lack of oxygen, and it's a bit too friendly for many bacteria as well.

Second question is, how old is your clone~x ? I was just talking with
the Maj. about this and we agreed that shit most defiantly has a shelf
life, also if your dipping your clones directly into the bottle, that can
introduce bacterias to the solution, greatly reducing it's effectiveness.

That's my :2cents:...:dunno: if it helps or not, peace brotha. :ying:

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Hey ~sprout - not sure about the rez temps, .. If anything, i was concerned the rez may be too cold. From a hand-on-the-bucket feel, it's definitely not even close to anything you'd call "warm." .. (Although you did just remind me I meant to pick up a floaty fishy thermometer)

A couple days ago, I set the bucket on top of a pile of towels, to get it off the cement floor..

As for the clonex, I just picked it up this week.. And to your point about dipping directly into the bottle.. Agreed :good: What I do is just pick up the $5 little pouch of clonex, then come home and squeeze it all in to a little prescription container, .. Far less commitment. :)

We'll see how the old school treats 'em..

silver hawaiian

Veteran
The cuts are looking noticeably better in the heated dome doodad. :good:

I think we'll be getting ready to flip sooner than later. Everyone's about 10-12", branching out nicely, .. I switched the MH (under which the Old Granddad & Nightmare Diesels are sitting) to a vertical position, and I've got the gals in the closet backed up against the walls..

Temps seem to be holding around 77 or so, which seems manageable (so far), though I'll be adding another 400 w lamp, .. I think we'll be good, though.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Wouldn't mind pushing that humidity up, ..

picture.php

Rapture babies: :)tiphat: to yas, all knowin' who yas are)

picture.php

Old Granddad on the left, Nightmare Diesels on the right/top

picture.php

So, live'n learn - I think I topped the OGD one too many times..

picture.php

J

jonnybgood29

dont flip those ladies till they hit 18". vert setup need a little grow room!

give the nightmares a little more time and trim off the lower most branches. theyll grow out of control and rob your colas in the end. i leave the top 5-6 nodes on and trim the rest right before flip. even with seeding my plants, 2 of the 3 phenos have colas close to 18 inches and growing fatter by the day. it almost like they dont know they got seeded!

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Hey bonzo

It is indeed a Honeywell.. Not sure where that one came from - it's older'n mold. I did just pick up another one (white, too!) on Amazon - I think it was about $19, with shipping..?

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
oh yea, i'd veg those ladies for another week or two. with 800w you should be pulling over a pound if you can be patient and wait to flip...

plus what's the top lamp for if not to allow you to grow up to the ceiling :D

i'm of the mindset that with living soil, i'd rather over veg, get a massive root system established, and then prune it back. after a couple days to recover, you can flip, and your large rootstock can support more flowers than it would have been able to a couple weeks earlier. you can also prune post-flip after the stretch is finished.

:joint:

J

jonnybgood29

thought i would tease you with a couple of nightmare diesel pics of mine my friend!

now you see what i mean about needing maximum air flow!

silver hawaiian

Veteran
jbg - I hope to do ya proud duderino. I'm just chompin' at the bit for these broads to stop acting so immature - I need me some grown bitches.

Time for :kewlpics:. Kind of.

I'm regretting having topped the Old Granddad twice. At one point, I was thinking of keeping it around as a mom, then taking cuts from it for this first round, .. And after I'd topped it x2, I decided she'd be in the oven. Oops. Now she's rockin' a full-on '70s bush. Probably not ideal for a vert setup, but like the rest of life, we'll make do.

Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

Here she is on the, to the left of a pair of different Nightmare Diesel phenos:

picture.php

And on the Nightmare Diesels, .. I think there may be some light-bleaching (?) going on, on one of 'em. (There are three in all, each a different pheno) The one that was nearest the bulb (the bulb is in the center of the room, the room is 3' wide in that direction - so 18" from the wall, probably about 10-12" from the plant :yikes:)

The issue seemed to creep in from the light-side-of-the-plant "inward," .. She looks like she wants some EWC, which I'm happy to provide, but everyone's been getting the same diet thus far - and her sisters aren't barkin', ..

Anyway - enough words, more pitchers. The affected one is on the right, another of the same variety is to the L. All have been getting the same diet thus far.

picture.php

Is that an effect from the proximity of the bulb? Is 10-12" from a bare 400 W too close for comfort?

My pride and joy, Rapture babies:

picture.php

I reckon' she's an Old Granddad x Chem 4 - someone please do chime in if I'm mistaken!

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
looking good brother. one day when i have space to tinker and more time i am going to try this vertical growing everyone is doing these days (thanks Marlo)

nice to see the maturation of my fellow growers k+

J

jonnybgood29

that one nightmare is screaming for some N that is one of the keeper phenos my friend.... she will do you proud if you hit her with some n Aand a little calmag.

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
what johnny said, she is hungry as hell...i am just getting into the chem/SD family and i must say they are very heavy feeders and require a lot of N. depending on your medium, get ready to go through a lot of nutes, but it is all worth it in the end