What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Benefits of Vertical Growing

DrFever

Veteran
I'm am curious what strain yielded 14oz on a bad 600w grow. I have seen quite a few 600 watt set ups and anyone getting close to .45 to .5 on those is ecstatic on a flat grow. I don't know of many clubs in this state that are hitting .5 gpw on avg. with there 1000's. Sounds like the same in CO from what I have heard. Real world grows. Just topping a plant and getting that seems like a one in a million shot or a really really heavy strain.

here have a scroll

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=289413

So Vert grower you remind me of Medical man both are new yet neither of you have shown not one pic of there grow here from that link now show me a vertical that pulled 40 oz from one 600 ??? thats 1.86 GPW show me

Attachments

• user134559_pic1158423_1383431413.jpg
    user134559_pic1158423_1383431413.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 57

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
have you tried any vertical? i've only just started my third run vert but there doesn't seem to be any issues with node spacing. but regardless node spacing doesn't have any relation to how big individual buds grow. it only factors in how big the cola is. cola != bud.

i don't sell weed so i don't know what you are looking for when stuffing half a pound into a ziplock. but i do know that popcorn can be smoked whereas larf is gonna be 70%leaf.

I'm running a small setup, if just going from horizontal to vert turned my larfy bottom shit to nice solid albeit small buds, then i can only imagine the effects of adding brighter lights.

for the records. this is what i mean by popcorn.

picture.php

and this is what i mean by larf.

picture.php

picture.php

just so we're on the same page with our terminology.

d3cryption

Veteran
have you tried any vertical? i've only just started my third run vert but there doesn't seem to be any issues with node spacing. but regardless node spacing doesn't have any relation to how big individual buds grow. it only factors in how big the cola is. cola != bud.

i don't sell weed so i don't know what you are looking for when stuffing half a pound into a ziplock. but i do know that popcorn can be smoked whereas larf is gonna be 70%leaf.

I'm running a small setup, if just going from horizontal to vert turned my larfy bottom shit to nice solid albeit small buds, then i can only imagine the effects of adding brighter lights.

View Image

View Image
View Image

nice

GrowVert

No? You sure about that fella?

If you're pulling 14 oz off a 1000w bulb you're fucking up.

If you're pulling 8 oz off a 600w you're fucking up.

And if you don't think either of those two figures are fucking up, you're fucking up.

You want to know what strain gets 14oz minimum?
Then you need to go back to the beginning and figure this shit out mate. Because you're way out of whack on your estimates of what you should be pulling off a bare bones grow brother.

8oz?? Seriously, just move on with that. I'm all for arguing a point and debating it respectfully, but if you're pulling 8oz from a 600w bulb, you've really fucked up something badly. You should not be projecting your own failures as what any other person should be looking to achieve on a horizontal grow.

If YOU have done that badly, that' unfortunate. But it means YOU need to address the fundamentals of why you did so badly, because any competent grower should be pulling a good bit more than that every single time without fail.

Clearly you didn't read the posts. I have been running a vertical scrog super cropped for years and I am very content with my gpw/$ well above 1.0 /100 days.

What? The good growers are getting 0.6gpw?? :D

You are a funny dude. No mistake, you have got this comedy thing nailed.

What the Jesus...? Right that's enough, I'm off. You really need to do some reading because I've come across some people on this board, but either you are winding me up, or you have no idea what you're talking about.

0.5 gpw is 10 oz from a 600w bulb.

You think you need some training to achieve that?

Zero training is required to achieve that. In fact, it's the kind of yield you'd get if you didn't train, let them dry out repeatedly, and harvested too early. You'd still get 10oz

Wherever you've heard this stuff, whoever's filled your head with this garbage, you need to empty it and start again because it's some of the worst stuff I've read on here.

Feel free to link us to these grows which make the average btw... prove me wrong... I'll guarantee there's a fundamental mistake being made somewhere

Been around this for awhile and the avg. flat grower using 1000's is hitting around 1lb p/light p/100 days. 600's around 3/4. No scrog or supper cropping, just basic training and care. Completely trained NorCal flat growers brag about 1.75 lbs p/light /100 days. Thats .80. Just started reading these threads and it seems most people have experience and are not just growing plants without the right training.
People vegging 7-10+ weeks from root and comparing them to the quick turnovers is ridiculous and I think thats what this is about. I have spent a lot of time with other experienced growers of both flat and vert and No one is talking the numbers you are. No one except those growing big plants pissing there gpw/$ down the toilet. I have seen monsters at close to 4lbs under one 1000w. Its not a comparison when you divide these yields by time$. Not wasting anymore time debating weak flat grows. Verticals are the most efficient and thats what my point is and has been all along.

GrowVert

Clearly you didn't read the posts. I have been running a vertical scrog super cropped for years and I am very content with my gpw/$ well above 1.0 /100 days

GrowVert

View Image

View Image
View Image

Verticals are great for eliminating bud waste. Like you said, very very little larf. I am avg. around 10g p/1000g.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
lemme be devils advocate papaduc. not discounting your numbers or anything, but thats gonna be strain dependent.

my own humble experiences...i've only had maybe 3 strains perform like you outlined. In fact for me it's more common for the week 1 pic you have to be the week 2 week 3 pic.

picture.php

3 days

picture.php

7days

picture.php

somewhere between 14-21 days. no more, no less.

it will eventually go faster, but in my experience i don't have 2 weeks worth of growth in 1 week from breaking soil. not to say you aren't able to do it, i'm just saying you might be doing something special. i veg under a 60w CFL, you can't see it in the pics. what are you using, maybe your plants veg so fast because you veg under a 1000 watter? that would make a tremendous difference.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
so basically what you're saying is you have really bright lights and we don't. so it's the lights not that we're doing something wrong. understand?

you sound like you're being a dickhole. i'm just saying.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Good luck mojave being that your strain is 400 - 500 grams per m2 and being your plants are not overly big typical top and few main stem buds my predictions on your yield will be 3/4 oz dry per plant or 84 wet grams per plant ,,,,,
u a bettin man fever?
picture.php

:biggrin:

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
Been around this for awhile and the avg. flat grower using 1000's is hitting around 1lb p/light p/100 days. 600's around 3/4. No scrog or supper cropping, just basic training and care. Completely trained NorCal flat growers brag about 1.75 lbs p/light /100 days. Thats .80. Just started reading these threads and it seems most people have experience and are not just growing plants without the right training.
People vegging 7-10+ weeks from root and comparing them to the quick turnovers is ridiculous and I think thats what this is about. I have spent a lot of time with other experienced growers of both flat and vert and No one is talking the numbers you are. No one except those growing big plants pissing there gpw/$ down the toilet. I have seen monsters at close to 4lbs under one 1000w. Its not a comparison when you divide these yields by time$. Not wasting anymore time debating weak flat grows. Verticals are the most efficient and thats what my point is and has been all along.
im not sure where you get those numbers from. 16oz from a 1k in 100 days isn't great. you should easily hit 25oz + under a 1k with 4 weeks veg and 8 weeks flower. horizontal.
so basically what you're saying is you have really bright lights and we don't. so it's the lights not that we're doing something wrong. understand?

you sound like you're being a dickhole. i'm just saying.

actually I think he just said you get faster growth with a 600w hps rather that a cfl, or florescent t5 or what not. which is true. Ive vegged plants under a 1k before. after a couple of weeks from clone, they are huge.

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
Okay guys, thread cleaned up and re-opened. All BS removed. Can we give it a break with the trolling, ICM encourages debate and sharing information/knowledge but once you start to shove your ideas down someones throat is when things start to get nasty and trolling ensues.

Please keep it civil you naughty stoners. Bad, bad, bad!

:spank: :spank: :spank:

:laughing: :laughing: hehe

Peace,
HGO

bobblehead

Veteran
I missed the drama... but maybe you or I should start a "the benefits of horizontal growing" thread... lol

Miraculous Meds

Wow, seriously intrigued by this vertical thing - Are g/watt yields definitely higher than horizontal?

I have a 27"x27" cabinet and am thinking about running a vert 400W CMH or HPS in a cooltube inside of it. Trying to get my head around VSCROG, though - If I'm running this like a regular SCROG where I keep the plant under the screen for 2-3 weeks of flower (basically only letting the buds themselves get past the screen after that point) how far will I want my screen from the cooltube? Definitely want to leave enough room for the buds themselves, but don't want to be too far away either. I suspect I can get within 4" or so with a cooltube, so maybe I'll put the screen 6-8" away from it?

Thanks for the help!

IME I got 25 to 30% more on average going vert. I think the main reason is more canopy around the light. Id say chuck the cool tube. Go with a small fan under the bulb blowing straight up. Then if u can an exhaust above the bulb pulling the heat right out of the canopy just like an invisible cool tube. For a 400w I think ur estimates are about accurate. Maybe finish 4 to 6" away from the bulb. Id think the 400w could penetrate as deep as 14" or so. So if ur trimming all the material behind the screen, then start ur screen at 14" from bulb.
gl

dewey

I love vert
My variety works great with it ( Jedi lush)and am a convert from horizontal
Less work for me and simpler , don't miss all that ducting and lst ing
I'm also doing strategic defoliating about 11 days in flower and a few more times later in as needed to great success !!
Also I combine it with drip feeding wich also changed my life and cocoa for the cheap reusable part and great performance