What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lets have a death star thread! Come on in!

skyhigh35

these came from a pack of DS S1's i planted about 1.5 yr ago. kept the most sour 4 out of 8. this about the 4th round running these. still got 4 left to plant latter. not going to get the fall colors this time as the temps are at a steady 80 at this new place. she really loves to get her purple on. i will post dry pics in another month.

skyhigh35

here is some dried pics of DS # 6 from 2 rounds ago. getting a lil age to her but i love my shit cured. looks very similar to senistar but has a very earthy undertone smell followed by an overwhelming sourness. love it

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

K

Kitsym

if what was said to be DeathStar when i tracked some down 2 years ago travelling in the mid west, then this is one of my top ten strains i have tried in over 10 years

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Ive been to the dam, norcal, and smoked herb in at least half a dozen other countries, and this stuff is definately in my top 10, maybe even top 5!

Skyhigh, Thanks for clearing that up. If you post anymore shots or descriptions of you s1 dstars, please let the audience know that you ARE referring to S1 versions as to avoid confusion. Thanks, nice dry shots too.

Homebrewer

Veteran
For those of you that have tried Dumpster and Deathstar, how do you think they compare to one another? I was working in Ohio some years back and scored a cut of Dumpster and while I'm not a huge indica fan, it's by far the most popular strain among my patients. If Deathstar is of similar quality, that's quite impressive.

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Dumpster aka "The dump" as we like to call it out here, is a very good strain and has been around as long as i remember. I have had the opportunity to get her so many times but for one reason or another i never got around to it. Probably because that strain used to flow like water around here, i felt like there was no need to add an ump-teenth strain to my collection . Now i cant get her anymore (or at least at the moment) and im regretting it. Im not too worried, she will find herself in my neck of the woods one day, i have no doubt in that. I will tell you first hand, the Dstar is much MUCH stronger and more fragrant than the dump. But they are completely different monsters, so its hard to compare them. Both strains are top notch.

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
So heres something i want input on. Let me start by saying this. Ive run the dstar now for about 3 or 4 runs. The first time i did it, i documented things like smell, food intake and growth pattern/stretch at different time intervals (as i do with all new strains i take in). After recently reviewing my previous notes, i found that my nose could not detect any significant smell from the flowers until around day 42-45. Im surprised i overlooked this, because almost all of my other strains start to get very pungent smelling around 21-35 days into flower.

I was in the room the other day and noticed that my dstar's still have no odor and its going on day 45... Im thinking the smell may come even later than before because this run is much larger plants than the previous runs. I dont do big plants too often, but i have heard that they can take a bit longer to mature. whats your input? Does your dstar hold out on the odor until late flower?

Rainmaker

I've been running Death Star consistently for a couple years now. It is by far one of the most aromatically pungent varieties in my arsenal... certainly starts smelling of sweet dank by 5 weeks. Once you know the D-Star...you can never mistake its wonderful aroma.

skyhigh35

dumpster was always a strain i was happy to grab a bag of. used to flood the festival seen. never worked with any but kinda wish i didnt pass it up. really cant compare to dstar in my opinion in all categories but deff good smoke

Homebrewer

Veteran
I have a hard time believing that Dumpster doesn't compare to deathstar but I've not had both so I guess I can't comment on that. A guy I still keep in touch with actually has deathstar and wants to trade for the dumpster seen below. Based on the sheer demand from my patients for dumpster, I'm hesitant to say the least.

it all comes down to personal preference whether you will prefer dumpster or dstar

deathstar is some serious petro funk, and ive seen several different phenos of dumpster from skunky to floral...

one thing is for sure though, ive never seen dumpster test as high as this-

GetInline.jpg

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
Dont get me wrong, the dumpster is some good stuff. But it really does come down to preference. As far as potentcy, the deathstar is much stronger. Just smoke some and its obvious. Seems to be a no ceiling strain.

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
So heres something i want input on. Let me start by saying this. Ive run the dstar now for about 3 or 4 runs. The first time i did it, i documented things like smell, food intake and growth pattern/stretch at different time intervals (as i do with all new strains i take in). After recently reviewing my previous notes, i found that my nose could not detect any significant smell from the flowers until around day 42-45. Im surprised i overlooked this, because almost all of my other strains start to get very pungent smelling around 21-35 days into flower.

I was in the room the other day and noticed that my dstar's still have no odor and its going on day 45... Im thinking the smell may come even later than before because this run is much larger plants than the previous runs. I dont do big plants too often, but i have heard that they can take a bit longer to mature. whats your input? Does your dstar hold out on the odor until late flower?

Update: ---Well the smell finally arrived. Day 45 on the dot. Seemed to just come out nowhere, almost like overnight. One less thing to worry about. Thats actually a good benefit. If you did a warehouse of dstar, you would only have to worry about smell for about the last 3 or so weeks of the grow.

Maddhatter

my DS

my DS

picture.php

picture.php

these ladies get the majority of my attention as they are my fav :p very very strong and will always have 4 in flower at all times!!!! not sure if its my pheno but it brings out the brain fuzz

dont mind the sickly plant in the back ground, there were some issues in the room prior to bringing in this one in

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
@Madhatter. That looks like the dstar cut to me. Isnt she lovely?!!

@ASMITH..I never thought i would hear anyone mention the affy mango on this site! Glad you have her. I dont know the lineage of the cross, but is is called afghani X mango. I worked with that cut for a few years. It is a VERY shiny resinous plant! The resin on the plant looks more crystaly/glimmerly than other strains, especially when its dry. Sometimes the its hard to get the full scent potential and yield out of it. Although, if you treat her well, you will get yield. It does better when you grow it big, but i have seen it produce donkey d*cks in hydro buckets flowered from clone. I like to vape it for FULL taste, its a whole diff world than smoking it. I dont really know how to describe the taste other than hashy. My buddy says he thinks it tastes kind of menthol like, but i havent really experienced that. I actually hit up the affy mango with some selfed Lemon G pollen. It was kind of on accident, but i have sprouted them and they are more vigorous than any of the seeds i ordered in. We will see what comes out.

i think the ghani mango's flavor is mainly sweet with a light fruit tinge, but the fruit is very subdued, even when she's grown properly

from what ive seen of my friends stuff, she likes to grow big and branchy, so give her some room to stretch her legs.

personally, its one of the only strains that gives me anxiety when i smoke it
dunno, its just too much for me i guess...

daheadies

poppin' outta control
If you guys wanna debate a strain against d star it should be biodiesel.. same genetics, different pheno's.... anyone have an opinion?