What's new

Tropical sativas in cold climates?

Mr Jay

Veteran
Autos ain't what they used to be, there's quite a few new ones that are pretty much the auto version of their photo lineage. If I were going for sativas that's the route I would go.

The fact the highland does well with temp swings doesn't really surprise me. Anything highland is going to be dealing with pretty large swings from day and night temps, and an overall lower temp than lowland tropical strains.

Cannabrainer

that is what I told in post #6 of this thread.

subtropical highland South African cultivars...

they are not tropical though.

Lesotho does very good in Northern Europe.

Ciskey from Herbaria too.
Correct. Subtropical is NOT the same as tropical. In Puerto Rico, I used to grow highland colombians during ¨winter¨ and people would be surprised to know that in december, january, and perhaps february, much less now with climate change, but it still might happen, we can and DO HAVE night temps under 60 degrees fahrenheit and even close to the lower fifties on the central mountainous region. Right now, temps in my town are ranging between 28 (81f) and 19 (69f), but in Christmas highs are on the 21s and the lows on the 13s.

The plants handle it well because the sun is strong next day and temps are not really that cold (sativas start to dwindle around 9 deegres or less and they have to be subjected to this for continous days). I suppose the same thing happens in Northern Thailand and Northern Vietnam, specially on the highlands.

Asentrouw

@Asentrouw Pure Indicas have a hard time here at 47 degrees latitude and ~3000 feet. The short flowering times sound promising, but the Afghanis, Pakistanis and Ouzbekis I had so far started rather late to flower and the dense bud structure is an invitation for mold. High or low temperatures are not much of a problem, but their original habitats are rather dry. Tolerance to high humidity and airy bud structrue is definately more characteristic to sativas.

I had better and more reliable results with outdoor suitable hybrids or sativa-leaning landraces like Nepalese or Turkish, even when I harvested some of them covered in fresh snow in early November. Save bets are Maroc Inspiration / Derg Corra Collective and Nepali / Derg Corra Collective, both are repros of BlueHemp strains with semi autoflowering traits. Their early flowering seems to be dominant and crosses with these also do a good job. UEL or UEL sativa / Outdoorkingseeds is quite popular, but despite they showed sex around summer solstice, I lost 3/4 to mold.

Same experience here in 53 lattitude and a humid maritime climate.

The Danish/Swiss and old Dutch stuff works rather well, mostly semi-auto hybrids with sativa genes, some acclimatized Marocs and Lebanese sativa's. UEL I'm yet to try, but have seeds laying around this season.

I had little luck with pure indica's. There are some exceptions like Viking and M33 Friesland that seem to perform rather well.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Correct. Subtropical is NOT the same as tropical. In Puerto Rico, I used to grow highland colombians during ¨winter¨ and people would be surprised to know that in december, january, and perhaps february, much less now with climate change, but it still might happen, we can and DO HAVE night temps under 60 degrees fahrenheit and even close to the lower fifties on the central mountainous region. Right now, temps in my town are ranging between 28 (81f) and 19 (69f), but in Christmas highs are on the 21s and the lows on the 13s.

The plants handle it well because the sun is strong next day and temps are not really that cold (sativas start to dwindle around 9 deegres or less and they have to be subjected to this for continous days). I suppose the same thing happens in Northern Thailand and Northern Vietnam, specially on the highlands.
indeed high altitude can change tropical climate to subtropical. I am sure it is case of some areas in Mexico. I am not so sure about Thailand or Vietnam... in this case I would go higher to Nepal..

it is fact that there was acclimatized "Burmese" in Canada. Reeferman was selling it. it was similar to some mexicans in the way it grew and how it was resistant to cold.

there are more types of subtropical climate. I was talking about continental subtropical climate:

Subtropical continental climate temperatures: July 24°C, January from 0°C to 5°C.

you are talking about oceanic subtropical climate:

Subtropical Oceanic climate temperatures: July 20°C, January +15°C.

and that is quite difference.

Last edited:

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
chiang rai is the northest region of Thailand. I see the lowest temperature through year is 58F in night in January/December... day temps never drop under 82F through year, that is fully tropics.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
list of subtropical climate countries:

• Italy
  • Croatia
  • France
  • Montenegro
  • Portugal
  • Turkey
  • Syria
  • Israel
  • Iraq
  • Afghanistan
  • Uzbekistan
  • China
  • Chile
  • Uruguay
  • Argentina
  • Republic of South Africa
  • Lesotho
  • Eswatini
  • United States of America
  • Tunisia
  • India
  • Australia
  • New Zealand

Cannabrainer

indeed high altitude can change tropical climate to subtropical. I am sure it is case of some areas in Mexico. I am not so sure about Thailand or Vietnam... in this case I would go higher to Nepal..

it is fact that there was acclimatized "Burmese" in Canada. Reeferman was selling it. it was similar to some mexicans in the way it grew and how it was resistant to cold.

there are more types of subtropical climate. I was talking about continental subtropical climate:

Subtropical continental climate temperatures: July 24°C, January from 0°C to 5°C.

you are talking about oceanic subtropical climate:

Subtropical Oceanic climate temperatures: July 20°C, January +15°C.

and that is quite difference.
Yes, there is a difference between both continental and oceanic climate temperatures. However, in both cases, high altitude or even relatively high altitude (for example, high enough to grow coffee) affects temperature considerably. The difference between the valley town of Caguas and the mountainous town of Aibonito or Adjuntas can vary considerably. So you have these micro climates in Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, and Hawaii. In fact, in the Dominican Republic the temperature in the towns close to Pico Duarte are much more colder than + 15. That was just my caveat, but yes, you are completely right, it varies even more in continental climate temperatures.

Temps in Pico Duarte, for example, in the Dominican Republic will drop to 4 degrees celsius next wednesday and to 7 deegrees celsius too. Understandably, because it is the highest mountain in the Greater Antilles 3,100 meters or 10, 100 feet.

Last edited:

Cannabrainer

list of subtropical climate countries:

• Italy
  • Croatia
  • France
  • Montenegro
  • Portugal
  • Turkey
  • Syria
  • Israel
  • Iraq
  • Afghanistan
  • Uzbekistan
  • China
  • Chile
  • Uruguay
  • Argentina
  • Republic of South Africa
  • Lesotho
  • Eswatini
  • United States of America
  • Tunisia
  • India
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
Puerto Rico is a subtropical climate under Holdrige's system of classifications:

¨In spite of its latitude (approxilnately 18” N), Puerto Rico, according to Holdridge’s system of classification, is in 111~‘ Subtropical Latitudinal Region. (On life zone maps published prior to 1966 the term “Subtropical” referred to the Premontane Altitudinal Belt in the Tropical Latitudinal fiegion. as well as to the Subtropical Latitudinal Region.) Sea level mean biotemperatures for Pucrlo Rico and St. Croix (see Appendix A) are lower than 24”, the lower limit for the Tropical Latitudinal Kegion. This distinction within the.geographic tropics reflects marked differences in the physiognomy and species composition of sea-level forests north or south of about 12 to 15 degrees latitude. The selection of the word Subtropical to refer to these differences in vegetation unfortunately may lead to confusion because of the generally accepted astronomical use of the word tropics to apply to all areas between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn (23”27’). Nevertheless, there are major differences in the vegetation within this range of latitude and it is necessary to distinguish them. Holdridge’s use of the word Subtropical does refer to latitudinal differences, and not altitudinal differences, as interpreted by Odum (1970b). Six life zones are found in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, ranging from dry through rain forest in the basal. or sea level. belt, and wet plus rain forest in the Lower Montane Altitudinal Belt. The area occupied by each life zone is shown in Table 3: Subtropical Lower Montane Rain Forest occupies the smallest area, accounting for only 0.1% of the study region. while Subtropical Moist Forest is the dominant life zone, covering more than 58% of the area.¨

Asentrouw

About 3 weeks in, with temps ranging between 18-5 degrees celcius the Laos seems to be doing just fine.

Attachments

• 20240322_153042.jpg
    20240322_153042.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22

Latest posts

Latest posts