What's new

Tropical sativas in cold climates?

romanoweed

i have an SE Asian Strain that is allegedly pure. Im shure it is ..
and i had the biggest surprise when just lately (around 25 August) it was flowering , hairs reached the full size, and buds were like a Pinky nail, actually bigger than that.
They experienced drought and after a first moment of absolute astonishment i thought:
thats because they are used to high amounts of rain, and drought stressed them out.

(to the eye they look fine of corse).

so, im happy i seen this happen as it would be one of the easyest methods to just put them inna greenhouse to imitate this.
Normally my fastest other SE Asians start to show some hairs at end september. so, this is veeeeeery special i hope that result is reproducable, and i hope it now continues to flower. its roundabout a Month ahead its bormal time. woho

romanoweed

?? why? this line produced semi-ok bud taken mid november previos year.
This year im a month ahead, i atleast guess (ive not looked after it previos year when it started), the outcross of it to Indicahybrids isnt showing flowers , so... so are you in knowledge that it will not continue flower? or what.

Last edited:

romanoweed

-it was roundabout like this random Intenetpic into flower:
floweringtimm.jpg

thats faster than most other stuff i grow.

Last edited:

Rastafarout

Premium user
Yup I can confirm the southern African particularly the lesotho and Transkei highlands ..can take cold temps and the odd freeze over
but that’s because they are subtropical like already mentioned
and high altitude

Grower in Californian mountains ( need to check where)
Grew both that finished…
14 -16wks flowering

Last edited:

romanoweed

Update: 19. Sept.
The pure 70s SE Asian has 50 percent red Hairs. They Hairs are unequally fast developped.. It hermied , so it has slightly swollen buds, the seeds are still in mid development, like when they are not just tiny hard Corns neither have they reached the full size. ust about in the middle , barely hard white Seeds..

Man this is probably the greatest dicovery ever.

The fact that it hermied totally, but didnt do in 3 Plants previous year (same seedbatch) seems to speak for high stress. Im pretty confident its really drought stress . Drought was stronger this year.

INSANE. This is such a gift.. This line is pretty psychedelic, very few anxiety, just good old SE Asian (with some fast phenos, but again, this isnt normal.. its mid sept, and the indica-outcross i made with it is totally behind this one.. this is because SE Asia has high humidity at this time of year.. and drought stresses them out.

peace

Asentrouw

I gave some RSC Lao, Malawi 2020 and Himalayan seeds to a friend, who grows in a badly isolated shed.

The temps there are far from perfect this time of year; during the day it never exceeds 18C (64F), in the night it's hardly 15 (59F) or even lower.

Still these RSC sativa seedlings are growing remarkebly well under these conditions. Especially the Lao, from which I least expected it considering the tropical climate, performs suprisingly well.

Next time I will throw in some pictures.

Rastafarout

Premium user
I gave some RSC Lao, Malawi 2020 and Himalayan seeds to a friend, who grows in a badly isolated shed.

The temps there are far from perfect this time of year; during the day it never exceeds 18C (64F), in the night it's hardly 15 (59F) or even lower.

Still these RSC sativa seedlings are growing remarkebly well under these conditions. Especially the Lao, from which I least expected it considering the tropical climate, performs suprisingly well.

Next time I will throw in some pictures.
You want some Lesotho or Transkei highlands … they will Finnish and handle the cold very well
I tested these, U.K .i started them late summer
Just left out bottom of garden
You can see the dates on photos , very cold tolerant
IMG_6159.jpeg
IMG_6160.jpeg
IMG_6161.jpeg

Asentrouw

You want some Lesotho or Transkei highlands … they will Finnish and handle the cold very well
I tested these, U.K .i started them late summer
Just left out bottom of garden
You can see the dates on photos , very cold tolerant

That's some serious hardy strains! These are South-African strains, right? Maybe I'll try some outdoors next season. 😁

But this is indoors with LED.

However, I suspect even sativa's from more tropical regions like Laos and Malawi can handle quite cold temps and adapt to harsh circumstances.

The seedlings just cracked, but seem quite vigorous and healthy to me.

Elsewhere on the forum, I also read indoors lower temps can actually be an advantage for sativa landraces, as it would severly limit the stretching and cause more thight internodal spacing (especially in combination with root restriction).

This would make them much easier to handle in limited space, like a micro grow. Interesting experiment nonetheless. With up to 4/5 months flowertime temps will be much higher later on.

cbotany

Hey bud, One of the reasons for the vast amount of cannabis strains we have now is your exact question, how do i get a tropical sativa feeling plant in a plant that will finish in my area. Some strains such as Piperurt have their roots in the idea of getting a sativa feeling in a plant good for a cold environment, I would always suggest breeding and working something for your area with trial and selection, Indian "sativas" would grow, as well as some "mexican" genetics. An indoor cross with whatever tropical sativa (a thai, and maybe what ever else you get your hands on) and cross with something that is known to do well in your area. If that seems like too much zamadelica has been wrapped into a few strains, and i believe has versions that would grow and thrive out there. If you can find mexican bag seed from the 1990s on up you probaly can find a plant that would grow and thrive as well. I hope this helps!

Rastafarout

Premium user
@Asentrouw Yeah a little country in the middle of South Africa,
Very hardy high altitude genotypes,
and most things in Africa are tough , genetics too
I been growing under led myself they do well , but sativas dry small pots quick so better automated , or you gonna be busy
If you throw a few Picts here and description , i will send you some ? Be interesting to see how they get on

Eltitoguay

I want to know if it would be possible to grow longflowering tropical sativa's in colder climates with good results?

Daytime temps would be at most around 18-20 degrees C (64F - 68F). Nighttime around 15 degrees C (59F) at the roots (at the leaves colder).

Most cannabis plants are pretty though and versatile. Most indica's and hybrids handle this without to many problems.

So would real tropical sativa's be able to handle these temps without too much problems, or is this a lost cause because of the huge differences in habitat?
...But I don't understand what your problem would be: those winter temperatures are subtropical/Mediterranean... I wish I had that minimum all winter in my mountain range... With them you can grow almost whatever you want, and without a greenhouse.

Asentrouw

...But I don't understand what your problem would be: those winter temperatures are subtropical/Mediterranean... I wish I had that minimum all winter in my mountain range... With them you can grow almost whatever you want, and without a greenhouse.

As I said: this is "indoor" in a poorly isolated shed. Outside it's now around 6C at night, if it gets colder the temps drop a bit. Inside a small heatmat with thermostat is placed to control the temps a bit. Lights on/off only makes about 5C difference. I'm at 53 lat.

But that was what I was trying to figure out. I read a lot that tropical sativa's/haze etc. supposenly need a lot of heat to perform well, as in the regions they come from temps hardly drop below 20C in winter, while temps are in the 30C range in summer. But seems to me they also adapt quite well to colder climates.

Even if the temps go slightly above freezing point, most strains take it without too many problems. At most you have slower growth and a little less yield.

Asentrouw

There is a lot of bro-science online, like indica's would be better for cold Northern climates.

But in my personal experience the best Northern outdoor strains, contain a fair ammount of (sub-)tropical sativa's in its genepool. Most Indica-dominant strains just rot away in the humid conditions here, while many sativa's are much more adapted to humidity.

Ofcourse equatorial sativa's need a different approach growing indoors like adapted light scheme and some root/fert ristrictions, but it seems the lower temps are not a problem at all. I'm curious what effect it will have on the internodal spacing; if stretch is less, that will only be a advantage during a wintergrow indoors.

Last edited:

Mr Jay

Veteran
Word on the bro science. I grow in a cold and wet environment and indicas tend to have a lot of issues here. People only grow them because of a short outdoor flowering season.

Have you considered growing autos? With autoflowers you could keep your lights on 18-24 hours a day and help keep your temps up, especially if you're using a recirculating ventilation system.

Asentrouw

Word on the bro science. I grow in a cold and wet environment and indicas tend to have a lot of issues here. People only grow them because of a short outdoor flowering season.

Have you considered growing autos? With autoflowers you could keep your lights on 18-24 hours a day and help keep your temps up, especially if you're using a recirculating ventilation system.

Not a big fan on the auto's. Tried some in the past, but they always seemed to lack something (yield, flavor, effect). But maybe that's just my in mind.😅

Best would be to isolate and add some heating. Maybe next winter (first: outdoor season! 🥳 ).

But actually the plants are doing just fine, only a bit slower because the big changes in day/night temps. Ironically the Lao SA and Lao Highland, seem to do pretty good under these conditions. So we added some Jamacain Lambsbread and Colombian/Mexican cross to see how it goes. 😁

Outdoors here the best strains also seem to have quite some sativa in them. Indeed they need to have short flowering times to finish on time without darkening, but they seem to cope much better with the humid conditions end of the year, while the cold doesn't seem to bother them so much.

That's why I'm suprised indica's are always promoted as go-to strains for cold climates. Not to say that there are no pure indicas that will perform well, but many workhorse Northern genetics contain actually quite some sativa.

Last edited:

Alpine Guerilla

@Asentrouw Pure Indicas have a hard time here at 47 degrees latitude and ~3000 feet. The short flowering times sound promising, but the Afghanis, Pakistanis and Ouzbekis I had so far started rather late to flower and the dense bud structure is an invitation for mold. High or low temperatures are not much of a problem, but their original habitats are rather dry. Tolerance to high humidity and airy bud structrue is definately more characteristic to sativas.

I had better and more reliable results with outdoor suitable hybrids or sativa-leaning landraces like Nepalese or Turkish, even when I harvested some of them covered in fresh snow in early November. Save bets are Maroc Inspiration / Derg Corra Collective and Nepali / Derg Corra Collective, both are repros of BlueHemp strains with semi autoflowering traits. Their early flowering seems to be dominant and crosses with these also do a good job. UEL or UEL sativa / Outdoorkingseeds is quite popular, but despite they showed sex around summer solstice, I lost 3/4 to mold.

Last edited: