What's new

Tropical sativas in cold climates?

Asentrouw

I want to know if it would be possible to grow longflowering tropical sativa's in colder climates with good results?

Daytime temps would be at most around 18-20 degrees C (64F - 68F). Nighttime around 15 degrees C (59F) at the roots (at the leaves colder).

Most cannabis plants are pretty though and versatile. Most indica's and hybrids handle this without to many problems.

So would real tropical sativa's be able to handle these temps without too much problems, or is this a lost cause because of the huge differences in habitat?

Asentrouw

More than the temperatures, it depends a lot on the latitude... It's not that difficult anyway....

I think you refer to the light hours?

Day/night time hours are not a issue for me, these can be controlled.

Controlling the temps is a bit harder. So for me it's mostly about the temps and quite big fluctuations between day-nighttime temps.

Not sure if tropical plants can handle this. If not, there is not much use to start with them. 😅 If they do, I would give it go with some South Asian or African strains.

Last edited:

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I live in 45 North, 15 degrees are fresh but not a big problem, if I lived further north I would have to "play" with the hours of darkness to make the plants start flowering earlier, that's all...
I managed to bring almost everything to the end of flowering, even at temperatures much lower than 15 degrees...
Obviously a haze grown in Miami is not the same as the one I grow, but I'm not complaining.....
You have to try, look for the method that best suits your location....

Asentrouw

Great! I think I give it a go then.

I found cannabis to be a very powerfull and versatile plant, so this probably also goes for the tropical variaties.

Did some sativa-hybrids which finished well under cold conditions, but they did have quite some % indica in it. They might be a bit slower and more leafy, but overall they performed pretty well.

I'm a bit bored with the commercial stuff lately, so want to try some more exotic longflowering stuff now.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
So would real tropical sativa's be able to handle these temps without too much problems, or is this a lost cause because of the huge differences in habitat?
true tropical cultivars will suffer a lot... like zamal or thai landrace... it can stop to grow or flower when temps drop under 20 °C...

you should choose highland ones, which are used to some cold nights, so subtropical highland sativas from Nepal or South Africa...

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I don't totally agree with you, although you are more experienced than me, I haven't had any problems with Copalita, or ot1haze x thai, or anything else....and here the temperatures fall down in december....

Asentrouw

true tropical cultivars will suffer a lot... like zamal or thai landrace... it can stop to grow or flower when temps drop under 20 °C...

you should choose highland ones, which are used to some cold nights, so subtropical highland sativas from Nepal or South Africa...

That makes sense, as I understand temps never drop below 18 under degrees C in tropical areas.

I will dig a bit deeper into the subtropical ones then. Would love to get my hands on some Rooibaard or a real longflowering Durban.

Last edited:

Limeygreen

Veteran
If you're able to, a greenhouse might help to keep warmer but the result will be lesser than in a tropical country, check out green mountain seeds possible they have some faster varieties with sativa qualities that do well outdoors.

Asentrouw

If you're able to, a greenhouse might help to keep warmer but the result will be lesser than in a tropical country, check out green mountain seeds possible they have some faster varieties with sativa qualities that do well outdoors.

In my (northern) climate with the means I have avalaible, these temps are already the best I can do. In the night the root temps are around 15 C, but above ground even lower. For most indica and hybrid plants that's just about enough, just not sure about the varieties from warmer climates.

I already have quite some tropical landrace genetics in the fridge: Thai, South American and African strains. So I was wondering if I could run them. Also some Himalayan strains, which would probably be the best candidates.

It should be possible, as some well performing Northern outdoor genetics are dirived from more exotic strains from different climates like Lebanese, Maroc, South African varieties. But these where acclimatised for many generations and probably hybradized along the way.

I checked out some ACE strains too. Strains like Bangi Haze would probably do ok, but basically this is also hybrid with some indica in it. NepalJam would also be a good candidate. I will also look into Green Mountain Seeds, as these are also available there (Purple Sattelite comes to mind). Any reccomendations for strains are always welcome ofcourse.

Asentrouw

Do you have those temperatures all year round? I think the greenhouse is the best solution...

No, only in the winter.

In the summer the issue would be it gets too hot there (indoor location), so then tropical strains are a must. 😅

Bad isolation, big differences in temps.

Ofcourse it will be possible to use expensive heating, isolations, etc., but that's to much hassle for me for a few plants. Then I just aswell stick to indica's in the winter and keep it cheap (low wattage LED + heatmat). Works well enough.

Attachments

• 20221210_130726.jpg
    20221210_130726.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I'm no indoor expert, so I can't comment on that....

But these are plants grown outdoors and in the last month of flowering the temperatures dropped well below 15 degrees every night (and often even during the day)...
Acapulco x Mihohacan) x Oaxaca
IMG_20221217_155145_edit_63055190117981.jpg

Ot1haze x meao thai) x Honduras) x oaxaca
IMG_20221217_160300_edit_62917913676335.jpg

The main enemies outdoor are ice and fog (mostly followed by ice), but it also depends on the genetics…
Obviously indoors it's different, the others can help you more....

Asentrouw

I'm no indoor expert, so I can't comment on that....

But these are plants grown outdoors and in the last month of flowering the temperatures dropped well below 15 degrees every night (and often even during the day)...
Acapulco x Mihohacan) x Oaxaca
View attachment 18885535
Ot1haze x meao thai) x Honduras) x oaxaca
View attachment 18885536
The main enemies outdoor are ice and fog (mostly followed by ice), but it also depends on the genetics…
Obviously indoors it's different, the others can help you more....

Great looking plants!

Some outdoor plants here also finish around november, when temps drop to freezing point at night. Most plants seem to take it quite well at the end of the flowering cycle.

After october it does mean less yield and fluffy/leafy buds, due to less light hours and sun, so outdoor I prefer something more early (september).

However, in early spring the same plants usually completely stall in veg untill the temps go up in may.

Maybe a nice project for next year to try a long flowering sativa here at lat 52. But I'm afraid it's not light sensitive enough and doesn't even start flowering before end of september.

Indoor I'm more worried how they handle it during veg and early flowering, as cold temps can stall the grow quite a bit.

I think some tropical variaties can get issues during veg because in their habitat it never drops below 18 degrees C. Not sure about it though, so I seek some confirmation here. The plants many times suprised me how much they can handle. Maybe I should just give it a try to see it for myself...

Last edited:

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Outdoor at higher latitudes means playing with the hours of light/darkness,(light deep?)a girl that many here know brought an original haze to the end of flowering in that way, but the problem is frost, especially in flowering, the plants freeze, burns on the leaves, small, light buds (the first time I cultivated purple ot1haze x thai it went like this, everything to throw away) that's why if you have that problem a greenhouse is better...
Otherwise as them have already told you try strains of Himalayan origins, I have only heard good things about purple sativa....

Last edited:
I am growing a silver haze along with other indica leaning hybrids currently at 34.112 north, but at 9000 ft elevation. The hybrids have flowers the size of bratwursts, but the ssh is barely showing clumps of pistils. The first snow is usually around mid October here. Night temps currently 50-55f, days at around 75-80f. Not sure how it's gonna come out seeing as it has so far to go, but being in a greenhouse at least it won't get buried in snow like the past. Had a few Afghani kush last year get completely covered in snow for 3 days, and didn't even flinch. Along with heavy monsoons. I am curious myself, but I guess I will see. Top is ssh, bottom is skywalker
IMG_20230825_161747574.jpg
IMG_20230825_161841992_HDR.jpg

Asentrouw

Have you investigated soil heat cables? In a greenhouse, you can also put black containers filled with water to capture sun heat during day and release as temps go down.

Same principle as the heatmats. These are good to heat the roots, not the entire room. In the day the LEDs will keep it around 18-20C, in the night the heatmat will keep the roots at about 15C. For most hardy strains this is sufficient to keep them going, without to big fluctuations in temp.

I think the water containers are a cheaper and better solution outdoors, but I guess the water will also collect the cold.

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I've done both, growing tropical plants in a desert environment and a desert plant in a tropical environment. My conclusion was and still is that it's not worth the extra trouble. Both strains suffered compared to being planted in the right locations. That's mostly why we have hybrids today.

Latest posts

Latest posts