What's new

Super Easy, Super PIMP 400w Box!

sugabear_II

Veteran
killabrown420 said:
Just putting the finishing touches on this cab...making it grow-worthy year long. The hot summer months completely kill anything I put in there up to now. The humidity has been super high w/ the cab sealed w/ co2...and it was either buy a new fan and a co2 controller to vent the cab when the humidity and heat reached a certain temp, but that would be expensive and time consuming. I decided a little a/c would work perfect for cooling the cab, and I decided to deal w/ humidity using a small portable dehumidifier that is used in campers, small closets, etc...

So here is an updated pic, just about done installing the a/c, still have to seal it up tight and tape up the LED displays as to not hermie my ladies. I got some girls going in there tonight to start the next batch. I'm really gonna try and do everything right this grow..no missed waterings, more feedings of nutes, co2 in veg and flower, etc. I've let myself down the past couple grows and i'm paying the price...turning what should be A+++ into butter and hash b/c of humidity and high temps...what a bummer

7342thegrowshop.jpg

the box has progressed nicely for you killa - I think maybe it needs a cleaning - a clean box is a good box I always say :D

thehammer85

thats what i used for a box. identical pretty much. my dimesnions were 3x3x2 though and i used a 200 cfm inline.

it was ridiculous. since then ive moved up to a 4x2x5 closet with two 400's

mellomel

BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT!
ICMag Donor
Hello everyone! :wave: You guys doing alright? Hell yeah, grab yourself a bowl, some homegrown, and fire that sucker up! I'm about to show you my new box, and run down how I built, how much things cost, etc...

This thread goes out to john64 over @ OG, for his "cost of growing" thread. I picked up an enormous amount of info there, and I hope I can re-create it the best I can, but he really did an excellent job documenting just how much it costs to build one of these things from scratch. So here we go,

Lets go over some of the things I already had:
400 watt hps light
265 cfm dayton blower
dryer vent
bungee cord
Screw in hangers for light
some hemp rope for hanging light *duh don't use hemp rope, i've switched to chains :pointlaug
Black carbon filter cloth (for covering intake)

Things I had to buy from Lowes: ~130bucks
BUNCH of L brackets for frame, I mean A LOT!
wood screws
1x6 and 1x8 wood for frame, cheapest stuff they have
Metal roofing stuff for air-cooled hood
Triangle brace for hood (no idea what they call this)
4" plumbing grate for hood
2- 4" clamps
Velcro
Staple gun w/ staples
Black poly-wrap
Soil Mix

From hydro store: ~50 bucks
Bat guano
Mylar 2-mil
Advice!!!

Now to construction :chin:

First off we took measurements, our cab stands 3ftx4ftx6ft

So you measure out all your wood, line up the L brackets the way you want and drill little starter holes in each corner, so the wood won't split when you start screwing :pointlaug

Ok so now you got yourself a little frame...now just add some support, measure out the center, where you'll hang the light like so:

Now add some extra support for where the blower and ballast will be

Build yourself a little door, make sure you make the door a bit smaller than the frame, so it can open and shut right, we don't have to have it completely light-proof or airtight, that will be taken care of later.

So now we need to hang the mylar. Take your staple gun and tack that sucker up, we figured out the less staples the better, its best if the mylar hangs freely, you'll see why later.

By this time I had finished the air-cooled hood, hey looky there!

Lets mount the blower and light up there and try it out! We screwed the blower directly to the wooden support, made it light/airproof by cutting small pieces of scrap wood and glueing them to the frame. I'll have to get a better picture of this, its hard to describe :bat:

Now we got the ballast to take care of. We just built a little wood shelf, took some of the scrap metal sheeting from the light and screwed it down on top so the ballast could rest on something metallic. Then we just used a single L bracket, a couple screw in hangers and a bungee cord to finish the job...plenty of support to hold that heavy sumofabitch

Ok almost there! Now we wrapped the cab w/ black poly. We decided to layer it up so there would be no light leaks whatsover. We did this by wrapping the plastic around the sides, then again from the floor around the back, up over the ceiling, and then we just pull it down over the door and attach velcro to the sides so it stays put.

When the door is shut, the walls suck in, meaning the cab is airtight. The mylar is pulled tight by the pressure, so its ok if there are a few ruffles when your stapling it up.

*EDIT
The total cost depends on what bells and whistles you choose, but lets say for the base model it costs a little under 200 dollars.

Since then we switched the hood to the DIY cool tube which cost about 30 dollars, added co2 regulator tank solenoid flow valve and timer all together about $150.

Also switched growing style to SOG using 5" 1 gallon pots. I try to utilize my space like TICK from OG. I pretty much copied his guide on vegging and flowering...only top nuggets for me from now on. I use the same amount of soil just higher plant #'s, which means higher variety in strains which is what I'm all about. :smoweed:

we built one pretty much the same. We just collected wood from the side of the road. All up we paid about the same to in au$. You even have the exact same filter as us. I think it makes you feel more proud when you've built a cosy home for ya babies. We are in the middle of building our 2nd room now. Good luck on the rest:joint:

wild95cat

oooohhhhhhhh weeeeeee

oooohhhhhhhh weeeeeee

Very nice looking box you got. I'm using my 8x5x4 closet for my 1st grow. Merry Christmas everyone!!!! :santa1: :eggnog: :xmasnut:

Smoke treez -----> :xmastree: :tree: :window: :thanks:

:grinch:

Frogger

Killa just got 2 of thouse E-bay grow tents and I did too. So fast toput up and take down and there a lot less work.