What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

.....Post your DIY Cloner .............

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
The Ziplock Container Jiffy Gel Method!

The Ziplock Container Jiffy Gel Method!

Ok so I tried the perlite first with powder and had 50% success then I went to the bubble cloner and 90% success but I also got sick of changing the water and when I moved my setup I didn't have consistent results anymore and it was taking 3 weeks to root sometimes and then I started getting stem rot on some and it was fucking up me starting a perpetual SOG..... So I got some RootTech cloning gel and the smaller Jiffy Pots that come in refill packs of 72 in lil trays of 24 that I cut to 15 to fit in a 2.5L Ziplock container and those come in a pack of 2 so it's perfect you get your bottom for your tray and then flip the other one upside down on top for a humidity dome :joint:

What I do is take my 15 Jiffy Pellets and soak them in a 1/4 strength grow solution with 3 drops of Superthrive per Liter or Quart. Once the take shape I pull each one out and squeeze the water out and form it in my hands to the shape of a Rapid Rooter plug and then poke a hole in it with a chopstick. The Root Tech gel I use I dilute it a good 30%-50% with water cuz it's too strong and it gives me twice the amount of gel for my money and speeds the rooting process for me. Then it's time to dip my cuts and stick them in the new "Jiffy Plugs" I have waiting and I make sure to smother the stem in gel and squeeze the Jiffy really tight making sure no water drips out anymore and I've found this to be PERFECT moisture for cloning. The dome also has a tiny gap on the sides that I thought would mess things up but it doesn't it's actually also PERFECT humidity IMO and I think the tiny amount of air that gets in helps adjust quicker when taking the dome off cuz I don't need the dome after 3-4 days if I want but I leave it on for 7 or more cuz of how warm it keeps the plugs cuz I'm seeing roots in 6 days on some. I use a 1tsp medicine dropper that you find in the pharmacy at Raley's or Bel Air or Safeway and it's perfect for watering the clones cuz they only need 1 1/2 tsp of water each and this makes it easy to measure and squirt the plugs cuz it's like a mini turkey baster :joint:

picture.php

bad shot I know but theres the dome lol
picture.php

2 trays after domes were needed, but that's my new cloning station on top of my flower cab
picture.php

roots after 6 days on some and the rest by 12-14 99% success rate also
picture.php

Here's a shot where you can see the custom Jiffy tray I make to fit in the ziplock container that holds 15 Jiffy pellets

That ladies and jointalmen is how I get down with cloning these days, and to have a every week harvest I cut clones every 7 days running 2 trays at a time staggered a week apart cuz they take the 14 days to root fully and so far this is working out great for me!:joint:

jamrockjay

Gr8 thread, amazing posts everyone.... now only question is do i go with a wick cloner or a bubble cloner???? decisions decisions lol

M

manwithnoname

here's my homemade bubble cloner. first time using it and it works great!
picture.php

already planted some of the clones
picture.php

whats a good container for and areo cloner i've gone through 3 glued duct tapes siliconed jb welded containers and they all leak whats the scoop with an un leaky container

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dump the aero. Bubbles will do you and not make a mess.

huh? :confused:

295901113072343.jpg

^This was my first bubble cloner (concept is good, but wasn't quick enough for me. Success ratios werent too high either). overall, I was more astonished with the Aero cloner - so I decided to make me 4 of them....

295901224072334a.jpg

295900103082234a.jpg

29590P10100211.JPG

^This was my first aero cloner... i love it, and still have it.. its about to be put to use soon... Have pushed many a clone out of this one here.. I believe it is a 56 site cloner.. I think i only used 48 of the spots at a time though.. I used pipe insulation for the pucks... i eventually got rid of the pipe insulation pucks....

29590IMG00085.jpg

29590IMG00140.jpg

I replaced them with some neoprene kneel pad foam cutouts which are where its really it if you want to be cheap as fuck and save a few dollars versus buying the pre-fabricated black neoprene pucks for a couple bucks from a rip off hydro store...

29590IMG00114.jpg

29590IMG001341.jpg

29590IMG00112.jpg

29590twocloners.jpg

^So i decided to make another one... this blue one yonder ^, the pucks were made out of pool noodles.. and holds 70 clones. You can even go 2 clones per site and get 140 out of this, just like you can with any ezcloner... it works good.. what can I say?

ill be back in a couple minutes with the other pictures of the other two.. :joint:

LW

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
here are the other two.. one is not being used... has 68 sites.. i still need to make the pucks for it...

the last one pictured is currently being used... it has 72 sites and right now im doubling up on one row so I have 82 clones going here.. this is my most recent cloning expedition... my other aforementioned cloners are riding the pine for another week until my mother plants grow larger..

picture.php

picture.php

^ this one is filled up with a bunch of power plant and d-bin (a local strain) ... i just doubled up the far right side of this cloner after i took the picture.. the last row is a bunch of random strains that im in the process of mass duplicating...

all in all.... AERO is the way to go if you have the space for all these big rubbermaid containers.. bubbling is simple, but i believe takes a lot longer to get a nice solid mass of roots on them then Aero cloning.. I can get clones on my Aero's in an average of 8 days... also, some strains root faster then others...

ive cloned many different ways... straight to coco, rockwool cubes, bubbling, and aero... obviously you know which way i prefer...

:smoweed:

LW

Tarbosh

was contemplating just using straight to oasis cubes..... anyone know how long that takes?

after reading this thread reconsidering bubbling..... how far does the stems need to be from surface of the aqua? and bubble wands are best ya?

Me2

There`s too many top quality homebrew cloners on this thread :wink:
so here`s my rough looking effort.
It takes 60 x 2" netpots with the bottoms removed. The blue collars are just milk bottle lids with a 1" hole and a split, they push fit into the netpots.To finish it off a 1/4" thick black neoprene disc with a split fits into each blue lid.

I prefer the sound an aero cloner makes, air pumps drive me mad :wink:

Attachments

• 60 site aero cloner.jpg
    60 site aero cloner.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 39
B

BlueberryNutz

im gonna make one out of an ice chest as soon as i can find one laying around or at a yard sale. the lid is recessed so it shouldnt leak and it has a drain

Ive found Jiffy pellets work wonders.. Just be Very sure to remove the wrapping before roots really start coming through, or you Will lose them.

I think i will go try to build diy mini aero cloner soon though.

B

bender420

great ideas guys.

I currently have an Ebb n Flow for veg and flowering, but i have been doing clones in a rockwool in a dome, it take around 2 weeks to root. I did some searches and found that a small bubbler for clones does wonders.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could direct to a good DIY bubble cloner.

BTW, is it correct that this method would be the quickest for the clones to root?

Thanks Buds.