What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

.....Post your DIY Cloner .............

I imported some fungus gnats when I pulled some mini roses from a Lowes dumpster & had to replace the soil in my newly rooted clones - what a pain to cut the net away from the rooted puck in order to wash out all the soil. As soon as they were out of the net they took off, so I think they root a bit faster without the netting.
My clones take 2 weeks or more to root cause I'm cutting them from mothers 1 month or more into flower, but I don't mind the delay - I only need 20 or so at a time & I found that the clones from flowering mothers turn into bushes with lots of bud sites. A few more grows down the road & I'll try a scrog or whatever they call it...

Paradoxed

I used a little rubbermaid for the lid I use a 1-1/4" hole saw 20+ clones per shoebox size container. usually have 100% within 5-10 days.

went to Joannes fabrics and got a sheet of 1/4"x18"x24" Styrofoam, punch out Styrofoam plugs, when clone is ready to be rooted, the Styrofoam breaks in half

B

Bubble Puppy

BIG BOY said:
what size aquarium air pumps are most using for the air wand/stone/bar etc.?

I started with the smallest cheapest $7.00 air pump from walmart .They work fine.Then when thrift shopping , i came across one made for a huge fishtank with double dial adjusments ,that thing can sure put out some bubbles.

No matter what, it seems some clones take 15-20 days to root.I think the room temp helps to be 85-95 for great success,

Last edited:

Grizz

Veteran
Bubble Puppy said:
I started with the smallest cheapest $7.00 air pump from walmart .They work fine.Then when thrift shopping , i came across one made for a huge fishtank with double dial adjusments ,that thing can sure put out some bubbles.

No matter what, it seems some clones take 15-20 days to root.I think the room temp helps to be 85-95 for great success,
Thats strange Bubble the one attempt I made with a clone machine My water was 80 to 90 degrees and all the stems just turned to mush, the top still looked healthy but not one root .

bud_me

Bubble Puppy said:

What kind of water temps are you having with those? I've a separate thermometer in my cloner so I know with room temps of about 85-90 I'm getting a solid 76-78degrees in the cloner, works great. Too cold and they take they're stunted, too warm and the mush story happens.

B

Bubble Puppy

The stems alot of times turn brown and slimy after a week,when that happens,don't pull em out .Some will turn to crap ,but at least 50-70 percent (in my trials) will eventually make roots/Im not sure what water temps i have ,but the area i am using is way too hot ,even with the fans blowing

S

slackerbri

Here I take a 4" Jardiner self watering pot and stick a hydrated Jiffy in the middle of my soil, put the cutting in, cover it with a gatorade bottle with no bottom and presto.

I do treat the soil first with Canna Rhizotonic and thats also what I use to expand the jiffy. I use Olivias cloning gel but have also used Root-tech as well.

So far so good, its fimly in there after a week and seems to be starting to take off.

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
Here's mine. I just quoted the original post I'd made some time ago...

panopticist said:
Sure...

First things first, this is my variation on Pontiac's Wick Cloner. Basically, the wick cloner relies on capillary action (via a wick) to pull water from a reservoir to a container full of absorbent medium. Pontiac used soda bottles to build his cloner, while I use DVD spindle covers.; two 25's and a 50, I think...

Here is the finished product, completely assembled and ready to clone. The weatherstripping around the bottom of the 50 disc spindle serves as a flange to hold it above the water level in the reservoir.

Once you break it down, you can see that the cloner has three components:
A dome, a section for the perlite, and a reservoir.

Here's a shot of the cloner without the lid and perlite...

You can see where I made four holes in the container, and threaded a piece of cotton fabric through each of the holes. Others use wicks, but t-shirt strips work just as well; all that matters is the material doesn't fit too tightly, or else the water might not make it up to the perlite.

Anyways, you spread out your excess wick material on the floor of the container and load it up with some perlite. Prewet that whole section, and fill your reservoir with some clean water, and you are ready to clone.

The best part about wick cloners is that they require no extra equipment for them to operate. Just set it and forget it; a week or so later, you should be staring at some lovely roots...

Here's what I got after six days...

One or two more days and they're ready for planting!

C

Cozy Amnesia

Sweet ass cloner there Pamopticist

Sweet ass thread altogether.

Barnt

I've tried many. I like which style cloning the best. Perlite seemed to work well, but sometimes when pulling the clones out of the perlite some of the roots would get damaged. Last test batch of clones I did in vermiculite with saturated perlite below it to provide moisture.

So this time I have about 15 cuttings with 1/2" wet perlite with another inch or so of vermiculite on top.

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
After trying different cloners including the perlite/wick one with limited success, I am doing the Cutting + hormone + Coco in small pot = rooted plant in 14 days. And then it stays there until transplant time.

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
I designed a water cloner years ago that I put on Overgrow, and then later on HG 420. Basically it just consists of a shoe box size storage tote, a couple air stones, some pumps, and some Styrofoam plugs.

The stones go in the bottom, and the tote is filled with water up to within a quarter inch or so of the holes where the air lines come in. This will mean most cuttings an inch or larger will be well within the water line. As this cloner operates, evaporation and respiration will reduce the water level, but fortunately it still works just as well even when the roots are just getting splashed by the bubbles from the stones.

The only downside to this cloner is that those who are impatient with it, or who do not keep it clean will get poor results with it. Of those dozen I know of who have built this design, only the ones who were too impatient to get it dialed in ever had anything but success with it. It's the easiest cloner out there in a lot of ways, with roots in 3-5 days typically, but you still have to take care of it....

Here are some pics of it. This was before it was painted black though to keep the light out. I photographed it clear on purpose so it could be understood more easily.

magiccannabus

Veteran
I want to post pics of this thing but it won't let me post pics. It keeps telling me that there is a URL in my post and makes me remove it. Very annoying!

magiccannabus

Veteran
Ah images work at last! Ok so there's the water cloner. Super simple. No need to get fancy with it. These things work so well it's absurd, and they cost very little to make.

nano

Same principal as the wick cloner, without the cotton wick. The medium is a mix of perlite/vermiculite (50/50), takes around 1 week to root, depending on strain. Oh, and around 2,00$ to make one.

magiccannabus

Veteran
Ah images work at last! Ok so there's the water cloner. Super simple. No need to get fancy with it. These things work so well it's absurd, and they cost very little to make.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Old Yeller said:
I imported some fungus gnats when I pulled some mini roses from a Lowes dumpster & had to replace the soil in my newly rooted clones - what a pain to cut the net away from the rooted puck in order to wash out all the soil. As soon as they were out of the net they took off, so I think they root a bit faster without the netting.

I do a LOT of transplanting from soil to hydro so yeah.... I try to always remove the outer wrapping.

I DO grow roots well through that covering but they just seem to do sooooo much better when you remove it. :)

Graffiti

There are so many ways to clone, it's crazy. I can't believe there are people out there who have barely ever had a clone die on them and then there are those who have never had a clone live on them. Hey, it's all about solutions. Good stuff here.