What's new

(( LoKey's 1020 tray, 161w cfl micro closet cab ))

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
You have yourself a sweet jungle of happiness in there LoKey!!!! Great job bro!!!!
I feed my TW 2 sometimes 3 times a week with full doses too and she loves it...its just knowing your plants and you sure do bro!!!
awesome
take care

LoKey

You have yourself a sweet jungle of happiness in there LoKey!!!! Great job bro!!!!
I feed my TW 2 sometimes 3 times a week with full doses too and she loves it...its just knowing your plants and you sure do bro!!!
awesome
take care

thanks BC, in my mind i still got a long way to go but i know im heading down the right path and it will only get better.

BTW your cab is looking awesome like usual, every time you update im in your thread looking at the new pics, i just dont post much.

But heres a partial mid week update, the girls were gonna get watered today (3days since last watering) but i think they can go another day, and looking at the roots on the couple plants i have in clear bottles, their throwing out new roots more so than with watering ever 2days, so i think what some people say in that if a plant has consistently damp soil, the roots get lazy and dont really grow as much in search of water and nutrients, because they have enough already.

So by lightly forcing them to have a bigger root mass it will hopefully allow them to produce more.

Defintely getting it more dialed, now i just need to see how much the upper limit of feed concentration they can take, as if they are getting less waterings, i will possibly need to concentrate their feeding a bit more.

But I did some changes to the cab today. Seeings how its winter, and my flower chamber is always at ambient room temperature due to the cool hood working so well, i decided to see what the temperatures would be like if i took out the lexan, and turned off the cool hood fan and blocked the exhast and intake so that only the carbon scrubber fan was providing cooling for the whole cab.

Well it bumped up the temps in the flower chamber to right around 26 degrees C (79F), which is alot more ideal temperature wise than the 20-21C ( 68-70F) ambient room temp that i will have for the next 5 months, so they should drink, transpire and grow a bit better now.

So i made it more permanent by making two little plates out of some thin plywood to cover the cool hoods intake and exhaust holes, and remounted the flower chambers circulation fan up where i had one of the 90degree light trap elbows for the cool hood. So now i have more head room on that side fixing the problem i said i had in the post before this one.

So ill probably run it like this for the next 4-5 months, till summer comes and i need to have more adequate cooling in the flower chamber again.

so i think things are looking up :plant grow:

LoKey

Well the cab is now full, also rearranged it slightly so the newest 6 plants are on the far left, and then it cascades from newest to oldest from the right hand side.

Reason behind it was one i dont have raised containers blocking my intake (aka the new plants) and this way the new plants will get plenty of light being beside partially de-fan leafed, almost harvest able plants, instead of competing out of the gate with initial flowering clones which still have their fan leafs.

As for the moms to be i transplanted them up to 3.5" containers, which will be there final pot size.

If interested here a run down on the characteristics of c, b, f, and SMB, as far as smoke goes

B - is a creepier with a somewhat functional but spacey high just cause you get easily distracted (well at least for me) and is fairly smooth, nothing really significant about its smell of flavor.

C - is a knockout weed, definitely something you only want to smoke if your not planning on doing anything for the next 3+hrs, or operate any vehicles, very narcotic (not really my cup of tea cause i like functional up highs, but its something that i wouldn't mind having around every now and then)

F - Is a very fruity, happy giddy, up high, very functional, apart from wanting to go hug everyone lol. (this one will probably be the mainstay of the cab for the near future)

SMB - functional, introspective, does bring out some inner worries and paranoia, decent smell and flavor, But i have to give it some more testing to truly come to a conclusion on it, but it or C might be the first ones to go, once i see how the other plants grow in clone form.

as for the mandala #1 thats being run through, i cant comment on that specific plant, so we will see in about a month and a half.

But all is going good, was contemplating a scrog, but i dont have a big enough veg area to get the plants big enough to do what would be considered a 2 plant scrog for my area, so if i do one, its gonna have to be either a couple smaller containers (4ish) or two bigger containers just running two-three plants each. So its SOG for awhile, maybe eventually months down the road i might change out to a couple bigger containers and small bushes vs single stem micro sog, ideally 4-6 plants would be nice, but finding containers that dont waste space is pretty hard, but im keeping an eye out.

picture.php

picture.php

and heres the one were following at day 48, its pretty darn solid, i have no idea what it might end up weighing (couple grams possibly) but wouldn't mind some guess's for fun, but i took a second pic with a lighter in a close up shot. It should still have 2-3 weeks left

picture.php

picture.php

LoKey

well took a closer look at the SMB clones today, looks like ill probably be harvesting them come the weekend.

The majority of the trichromes are cloudy but i spotted the odd pale amber on the inner calyxes and leaves, i say right now they are roughly around 30%clear/65%cloudy/5%amber

That and they are maxing out on growth as well, as there are very few new calyxes and pistils.

So this phenotype when running decently well, is probably really a 8-9weeker, instead of the 9-11week finisher that i thought it was.

We will see if that is true after drying and curing.

LoKey

Well killed most of the seedlings, just due to there growth structure (and they were stretching to much, the M#1xJS seedlings though are growing how i want them to, and are throwing out flowers, so they are staying till the end)

The Mandala #1 clones are at about 9" so far, they are a pretty slow at stretching, at least this pheno, but i will see how this run goes and sample the end product to see if its worth keeping around, either way, i tossed the mother plant, but it because i have a fresh clone that im shaping to be a new bonsai.

Also took a bunch of cuttings on wednesday, some even from one of the M#1xJS seedlings, just cause i was slightly lollypopping her and it had some nice cuttings from that.

So other than that everything is doing great, the next set of smb clones are gonna be even better than the ones i will be harvesting tomorrow morning.

Speaking of which here is a pic of the clone we were following on its last day. So its on day 56ish it could go a bit longer but for what it will gain its definitely not worth it as it has more or less stalled out, and its done, i did an initial trim a couple days ago, so it wont look as big as the other pics, but is good for harvest tomorrow.

picture.php

Here are the three clones im chopping tomorrow, so we will see what the weights are on them (dont expect much more than about 5grams dried a piece averaged out), but ill get a approx wet weight tomorrow.
The one on the far left is a week older than the other two, and didn't get a better initial feeding like the other two, but now that i know what they like more the clones from here on out will definitely be better.

picture.php

oh and here are the normal cab pics

picture.php

picture.php

LoKey

well here's a pic of the two younger clones, chopped trimmed and on the scale. So should be around 12-13grams once dried, the other clone yielded 16.7g wet.

So we still have a ways to go to get to my goal of 8.17grams per plant (total of 147g over a 60 day cycle, which is 1gram per kwh used), but its definitely doable in my mind, especially when im getting things even more dialed.

picture.php

LoKey

Sunday again....

The harvested SMB plants, came out exceptionally better than the last round, so much so i gave away all the stuff i had from the last round, plus 60+ % of this stuff because im happy to share with others who are more in need, and ill have more shortly anyways.

As for the cab, i culled all the mandala #1 plants (expect the one that has 3 weeks left), reason being is that pheno wasn't growing how i wanted and wasn't impressing me with its flower growth compared to the other plants, not to mention it seemed like it soul purpose was to taking up as much space as possible, blocking out other plants, but doing nothing itself. So they got the axe ill try and find a better pheno some time down the road with the couple of F1 seeds i have left.

I also am changing container size again..... yeah i should just leave it alone, but anyways im opting to go with fewer but bigger plants now that i feel i have a handle on indoor growing, so im downgrading to my original plan when i built this cab of a MAX of 10, but probably only 8 plants in the flower chamber at one time, With possibly a downgrading to 3 plants max in the future, so long as i can veg a clone big enough in my veg section to fully utilize the flower chamber in that configuration. As for the containers, i was wanting to try out some air pots, for the beneficial purpose of root pruning as im finding my plants aren't really utilizing the center of the medium at all in there containers, and im sure it will be worse now that i want to go with bigger containers, so i was gonna buy some 1liter pots but couldn't justify the cost, as what i grow is for personal supply and im already happy with the results im getting now.

But while reading posts and threads about airpots and smartpots an idea slapped me across the face "why spend money on some when you have a partial bolt of the same cloth and can sew pretty damn well" So i spent a little time while watching a movie and sewed up a bunch of pots to test out, they hold approximately 1.5L of soil and allow me to fit 10 max in my flower section, cost of them works out to be around 10-20 cents a piece, but essentially free as i already had the materials. So im giving them a go, they sure allow the soil to soak up water in a hurry due to air exchange, but i transplanted the two seedlings into them as they are still young enough to benefit from a bigger container.

Other than all that, my B plant is more than likely gonna be phased out aswell, but im gonna run one through flower, encase it impresses me due to better growing conditions. But my SMB, C, and F, plants are looking to be the ones to keep until i come across better phenos.

Im also not gonna update this thread weekly anymore, maybe just harvest shots, as im quite busy with work and enjoying life so i dont have much free time and will be using what time i have on other things. But ill still be lurking around from time to time. This place has been a great resource, and ill be consistently refining what i can, i thank all of you for showing me how to grow my own, and do it well, thank you :tiphat: :thank you:

So to finish all that, here is the last weekly update photos, im mainly just posting them so you can see the DIY smartpots, but ill tell you how they work out.

picture.php

picture.php

LoKey

Well chopped three plants today, the SMB clone that was in the higher peat mix, did no where near as good as the other two in normal mix, was around 22g wet, where as the other two were 34 and 42

but either way with those three i more or less hit the yield i was looking for per plant average, and i am no where near dialed in, and also need a full flower box.

Also im back to 8-10 bigger containers in flower, made my own 1.5liter smart pots, also made a bunch of mini ones for clones, and so far they are working ALOT better than the 2.5" square plastic pots of the same size, they dry out a bit faster but thats nothing, also mixed in a bunch of coarse coco coir into my base mix , the aeration it gets now is alot better, and stays alot looser, but we will see how it does in the long haul.

Here a pic of the 3 i cut and trimmed today, remember i can fit 18 of these in my cab if running full, so the Dr. Bud method definitely works.

picture.php

Too cool, I love how neatly it was done, that info sponging you speak of must have been very good reaserch.

Too cool too too cool.

Namaste :joint:

LoKey

Chopped the two seedlings that were left today, they weren't grown to their full potential, but i cant complain as i will get roughly another 1/2oz from them.

as for the DIY smartpot both are still doing great, definitely an improvement over solid containers both in the bigger plants and the initial clones.

BTW the stuff on the left is from one plant and the stuff on the right is from the other, the right side yielded roughly 15g more (wet weight) and smells better, when broken up has a slight chocolate smell as i smoked some last night, cause i clipped a lower branch off both about 4 days ago to see if they were ready.

Lets just say it knocked me on my ass in a hurry, so ill be doing some tasting and comparing over the next couple weeks to decided which one of the two i will keep (have mothers to be going in the veg chamber from cuttings taken mid flower for both of them)

picture.php

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
Awesome job LoKey!! You have well over an o of some very tasty looking buds:dance013:
hats off to ya bro!!!
looking forward to a smoke report:)
Take care

LoKey

Well i was learning how to use google sketchup today (first time using it), and this is what i created to get to know the program.

I already had these ideas going through my head, and not that i need a new cab, but i like to build and tinker.

The cab is designed solely around one 55w pl-l in a vertical orientation, with an integrated veg chamber, light baffles, and 2" carbon bed, i didnt add the pll ballast, wiring, timers, and door hinge and lock to the mockup, but got carried away and painted it added pots, and lights.

But over all the foot print is 13"x13" with a tall 55 1/2" height, and would allow me to fit 8 of my DIY 4"x8"tall smart pots in there (they have around a 1.5liter volume)

Depending i can even downscale it in height to use a one 36w pl-l, but how well it will do for growing who knows, as yes there is the inverse law relating to light but it means less in an enclosed case but i still dont know if it would be enough light, so its better to have extra than not enough, and were only talking about saving roughly 5" of height, and having to control plant heights more so, but if i did go with a 36w pl-l i would design it so that i could run two of them in the center if needed.

Either way if i can get the same amount of growth i currently get but tuned for the vertical layout, i should potentially still get around 10+g dry per container (80g ever 60days, which is more than enough for me), and i would be effectively using about 1/3rd to 1/2 the amount of power that i am now, which is already nothing.

Also if its done well, i could even add a removable cloth cover for the top or make another baffle, and could throw it in a corner of any room and have it be passable as a DIY subwoofer or funky high end cabinet, not to mention the fan i would be using i know would be almost dead silent in this situation (max dba of 20, and thats inside the case behind a 2" bed of carbon)

but here is a quick snapshot

BoxofDoom.JPG

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I've actually toyed with the idea of doing something like you're talking about... except making multiple small cabinets that hold a few plants each and use them as speaker stands or endtables or something. I like the way you're thinking! Keep us updated.

LoKey

I've actually toyed with the idea of doing something like you're talking about... except making multiple small cabinets that hold a few plants each and use them as speaker stands or endtables or something. I like the way you're thinking! Keep us updated.

Will do, ideally making two say 36" to 40" high would allow the use of 55w pl-l's in a shorter profile box, only thing is whomever would have to have a separate veg cab, or use one of them for veg, but the design can easily be tweaked to accommodate that.

But last night i decided to do a mock up of if i downgraded to 36w pll for flower, it allowed me to knock off about 6" in height, and coincidentally if going for the smaller box, every part for it can be cut out of a 5x5 sheet of 1/2" Baltic Birch Plywood after i tweaked the base to be 12x12 instead of 13x13, so no extra cost for wood if i went that route (i would just use a 4x8 sheet of furniture grade plywood if i went for the bigger box, and just have alot more scrap left over)

but here is the shorter one, with a cloth top cover that would look like a speaker face just pointing up, that and a hard to see layout of how it would be cut out of a 5x5 sheet

BoxofDoomSmall.jpg

LoKey

Lowkey,
How do you like that Palmscale 8?
I just ordered one a few days ago.

works great, only issues i have noticed is i wouldn't mind a bit longer auto shutoff time, as it shuts off after about 1min but that's fine for regular use, for taking photos its a bit of a hassle but so long as you just touch it at least once a min to make it think you added or removed some weight, it will stay going, as having to dump everything off the tray and then tare it and then load it all up to show the actual weight can be a pain.

also its a bit finicky if you say have a overhead fan going but again its trying to measure with 0.01g accuracy, so breathing on it will change the displayed weight.

Other than that its great, i dont use the price features of it, but have played with them, their pretty neat, handy i guess if your a crack dealer, but whatever :nono:, also the hidden twezzers and scoop on the left side of the scale are a neat feature as well, ill never use them but for those who will im sure its handy.

I would defintely buy it again, oh and one of the main reasons why i bought it was cause it takes 2xAAA batteries, so they can easily be swapped out with rechargeables compared to say most small scales which use the cr2032 disposable watch batteries, which say you dont use the scale for a year or so but somehow it drained all the batteries, and you have to go buy some to just use it, instead of swapping in some from another device