What's new

LED lights?

PearlJamFan

DeadlyFoez said:
When I do my setup, I'll make it a 1:5 blue:red and I'll make half 660 and half 632

This is almost exactly what my setup consists of right now. I am still building so I will post photos when it's ready. I hop to start from seed within 1-2 weeks.

DeadlyFoez

Now, I've been mostly looking at the luxeon LED's, but thier LED's only come close to the desired wavelengths. Where else are there places that produce LED's close to the desired wavelengths????

PearlJamFan

Ok what I have now is 80 Red in series of 5 with 3 660nm and 2 630nm per series, I also have 3 blue per series, then alternate them 400, 432, 400,432. So for each breadbord I have 80 Red with 68ohm resistor per series and 15 blue w/ 68ohm resistor per series . Each bread board put's out 7.7w of red,

Here is the power breakdown.

Red per breadboard:
* each 68 ohm resistor dissipates 27.2 mW
* the wizard thinks 1/4W resistors are fine for your application Help
* together, all resistors dissipate 870.4 mW
* together, the diodes dissipate 6880 mW
* total power dissipated by the array is 7750.4 mW
* the array draws current of 640 mA from the source.

Blue per breadboard:
* together, all resistors dissipate 136 mW
* together, the diodes dissipate 1080 mW
* total power dissipated by the array is 1216 mW
* the array draws current of 100 mA from the source.

Total for project:

Red total: 480 red, 288 @ 660nm, 192 @ 632nm
* together, all resistors dissipate 2611.2 mW
* together, the diodes dissipate 20640 mW
* total power dissipated by the array is 23251.2 mW
* the array draws current of 1920 mA from the source.

Blue total: 90 blue, 45 @ 470nm, 45 @ 400nm
* together, all resistors dissipate 816 mW
* together, the diodes dissipate 6480 mW
* total power dissipated by the array is 7296 mW
* the array draws current of 600 mA from the source.

23251.2 mw x 7296mw = 30w of LED power, should be equal to a 250-350w HPS?

Last edited:
PearlJamFan said:
23251.2 mw x 7296mw = 30w of LED power, should be equal to a 250-350w HPS?

no, more like 100-150W. as they say, you need 25% of leds to be equal to hid. so if you multipy 30 X 4 = 120W. but there are not all watts in light, you also have some resistor-watts, that are not used for lightning. it also depends on models you use, but i think you won't get higher than 150W hps with that. nice work btw. when will we be able to se a grow diary :yummy: ?
i also noticed that this is not all you got. how much arrays did you make (i know, i could calculate, but it is to early to do that, i just woke up)?
in the picture i saw that the lower array emmits more light than the higer one. is that because of the camera sensitivity or do they really emmit different ammount of light?

DeadlyFoez

Awesome work dude. I think I may follow in your foot steps. I've been wanting to do LED's for a while but I dont have the know-how to figure it how to wire it all up. Great job

PearlJamFan

LED_experiments said:
no, more like 100-150W. as they say, you need 25% of leds to be equal to hid. so if you multipy 30 X 4 = 120W. but there are not all watts in light, you also have some resistor-watts, that are not used for lightning. it also depends on models you use, but i think you won't get higher than 150W hps with that. nice work btw. when will we be able to se a grow diary :yummy: ?
i also noticed that this is not all you got. how much arrays did you make (i know, i could calculate, but it is to early to do that, i just woke up)?
in the picture i saw that the lower array emmits more light than the higer one. is that because of the camera sensitivity or do they really emmit different ammount of light?

The figures I used compensated for the loss at the resistor.

I will be making anywhere between 6-12 of what is shown above.

The lower one looks brighter because of the angle I took the photo, at least that is my excuse. They are identical in almost every way so I would think they should be the same brightness.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I will be starting seeds the 2nd week of August, but I will be using a 400w HPS with 6 of the arrays I have built on some shag weed I started in spring outside and are ready to come in.

DeadlyFoez

Anything new happening in this world. I'm starting my project. I'm trying for a total of 600 watts of leds in the end. I started another thread for help building this.

I'd love to see how things are going. Let me know.

PearlJamFan

Here is an some photos of a test I started. These are 2 clones taken from a plant started oustide, it is bag weed to boot. The pics were taken 2 days after transplanting from a peat pellet to the square container. They were under approx. 75w of CFL during rooting. There are 6 other sisters under a 400w mh. I will post comparisons as I get time to do so.

Here you go.

PearlJamFan

Here are some photos taken just minutes ago. This will be day 5 under the LED's. In the last 2 photos are for comparison. The 2 on the left are the LED ones, the 3 on the right are the 400w MH ones.

PearlJamFan

Hey, did you notice in my comparison photos that the LED plant leaves (on the left) are kind of pointing up? Where the ones under the MH are horizontal. Does this mean anything?

G

I would imagine that the ones under the LED's that are pointing up are searching for light whereas the MH ones are content with the light they are receiving thus making them settle.....may be wrong though.

Thaniel

This is a friends' setup. The lights are from ledtronics. They are quite pricey, each strip about $150. I'll give ya'll an update as soon as I find out how the plants are doing.

PearlJamFan

I just got this email from my contact in Hong Kong. I am asking him for more specs and photos. I also asked if I could be a distributor in the US.

Now you can see that his will have 240LEDs per lamp, the Ledtronics have 38 per lamps and only 114 LED's per bar for $150. These lamps would carry 240 per $50. so you get a 720 LED light bar for the same price as a 114 LED one.

This is going to get good :chin:

We have a 240LEDs Plant growing LED Light Bulbs in testing now. The sample price is USD50 each.

The Bulb consist of 630nm red and 465nm blue.

Best Regards,

Ken
Sales & Marketing

Last edited: