What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

godisadj's Dual PC Stealth Grow!

godisadj

Ok! Time for an update!

It's Day 3 of the grow (5 days after planting my seeds) and two seedlings seem to be doing quite well :jump:, the 3rd is just poking its head through the soil :drum:, and the 4th is a complete no-show! :spank:

They've all been without water for a day now, so I gave them a sprinkling today - the top 3/4 inch or so of the soil was pretty dry due to the temps near the bulbs. Lighting schedule is 12/12 until sex is determined.

Today I added a 92mm fan to the main section. Although the bulk temps were great in there, the temps about an inch from the bulbs were a bit high, so in order to get my babies close as possible to the light to reduce stretching I decided to take action! The fan came with an optional in-line resistor which reduces the operating voltage to ~7.5V whilest still maintaining a decent 40CFM airflow. This is great as all I'm looking for is a bit of extra air movement for cooling and to buff up my seedlings, and the relatively low voltage/fan speed makes for no noticable increase in noise!

Here's some pics!

Do you guys reckon there's anything wrong with the 3rd seedling and the one that I mentioned as a complete no-show? Before planting, all 4 seeds had similar taproot growth but obviously "A" and "B" have taken off way more than the other two. Is this just something to be expected from time to time?

Thanks for checking out my update, I'll do another in a couple of days time!! :wave:

godisadj

Ok! Just a little update..

It's Day 10 above ground, on 12/12 and I've got 2 healthy looking seedlings, 1 runt and 1 complete no-show. I ditched the no-show a few days ago to free up some space under my lights, and I'm probably also gonna ditch the runt too. Due to me practically being down to only 2 seedlings, I germinated 2 seeds a few days back and planted 'em, just incase my 2 good seedlings turn out to be males! These two new seedlings are doing well and are now 2 days above ground.

So...some pics!

Seedlings A, B and C:

Seedling A:

Seedling B:

Seedling C:

Seedlings D and E:

Seedling D and E are currently living in the mother section, but I'll probably move them in with A and B when I ditch the runt tommorrow, unless there are any objections! :kos:

Cheers! :wave:

Last edited:
G

dont kill the runt, i got some very nice smoke off a runt i ran in my hydro system, maybe it will pull through. and the others are taking off as well

godisadj

All I'm really looking for from this grow is a single, strong plant to take a cutting from for a mother and to grow to flower. I'll keep the runt a little while longer to see how it goes...especially now as I've had a little bit of a disaster!!

I was away over the last couple of days and came home a day later than anticipated, leaving my plants without water. The soil in all the pots was very dry but mostly the plants seemed unaffected...apart from this one...

It looks to be in pretty bad shape! I returned home yesterday, and gave them a good watering - that photo was taken today, about 20hours or so after watering. It doesn't seem to have perked up at all, so I'm kinda gutted!

It's strange how this plant looks so severe when the others are unaffected. Perhaps it was because the wilted plant was right beside a fan which accelerated the drying out of the soil, leaving it without water the longest.

I'm assuming here that it is indeed an under-watering problem, but if I'm way off the mark please let me know!! Is there anything I can do to save this plant? :badday:

P.S - doobieman, cheers!! :)

godisadj

Alrite lads, another little update. :rasta:

Well, the plant from the above post is long dead, hah! I've now got 2 plants at 23 days above ground (Plants B and C), and 2 plants at 15 days above ground (Plants D and E)...here's the photos!

All 4:

Plant D:

Plant D Closeup:

Plant E:

These two seem to be outperforming my original two plants, even although they are 8 days younger, and as you'll see, they're in better condition too!

Plant C (Original Runt):

Closeup:

Now, I've got a problem with my last plant, Plant B...it's a bit of a sorry sight!

PlantB:

Closeup:

Hmm!! At this point I need some direction from you guys with this plant, so here's my vitals!

Temps (high/low):89/72
Watering every day, when top cm of soil or so is bone dry
Soil pH ~6.5

No nutes at all yet for plants C, D and E (apart from what was originally part of the Miracle Gro Potting Soil mix). Plant B showed signs of minor nute burn at an early age (~1 week), but this didn't seem to affect things much.

About 1 week ago Plant B and C's lower leaves were bleaching, so I assumed this was due to an N def. The only nutes I had lying around were Fish, Blood and Bone meal (5-5-6), which I guess is more suited to flowering, but I figured some more N is better than nothing so I fed 'em both with a small amount. This seemed to sort out the problems with both plants (although C more than B).

A few days ago I noticed a greying on the leaf tips of Plant B, as can be seen from the photos above. I fed again with a very small amount of FBB but this doesn't seem to have had much effect on the state of the plant. Can anyone suggest what's up?

As for the rest of the plants, they seem to be comming along nicely. As I mentioned, the soil I'm using originally contained some nutrients, does anyone know how long it takes before these are all used up and I should start routinely adding my own? Plant C is still a runt but hey! I'll keep it until I sex my plants. Speaking of which, here's a closeup of a node of plant E..

Should be showing sex soon I believe?

All help is very much appriciated and very much needed, hehe! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

godisadj

immaculate and doobieman - cheers!

Plant B is gradually getting worse, I think it's dying! It's very strange as it's been subject to the same regime and environment as the others, which all seem to be doing fine.

Eek! Any suggestions?

godisadj

Ahh, you believe the plant may be rootbound? I'll get on that transplant as soon as possible then mate, cheers. :smoke:

G

well it seems very lush, and it is in that small container , yet, it is feeding the same as the others, so i would assume now is a good time to transplant

godisadj

Ok! I've just transplanted plants C, D and E and you guys were right, it was time for a transplant! The roots were growing in a tight circle round the bottom of the pot. However, the failing plant B's rootball was significantly smaller than that of the others, nowhere near filling the pot. I've only got 3 big pots anyway, so I just transplanted the healthy plants, leaving plant B in the small pot...I don't have space for 4 big pots anyway, so I've gotta just hedge my bets and go with the healthy looking ones!

It's a waiting game now 'til C, D and E show sex and I'm terrified that the two big ones are gonna be males! All part of the experience tho I guess, hah! :D The screen I was using was just made out of a wire hanger and electrical wire, but it's not the best so I've removed it for now until I make a better one with a rigid wooden frame.

Here's pics of D and E in their new homes, raised close up to the light with about 10 or so CD cases. The other two plants are in the other section.

Last edited:

JlMH4LPERT

Things are looking good. How big is that comp? To figure out when i was going to top my plants i simply figured out the height of my screen, so in your case measure the height of the entire comp case (minus the amt the lights take up and your pots take up.)

Take this measurement and divide by 3 (example 12" works out to 3 x 4" intervals.) Start ur 12/12 cycle at about 4". Let the plant grow in for a few days so and then top it so its new hieght will be 4" or so.

Now your side shoots will strech, as these grow to about 8" (anoter 4") in hieght total throw in your screen (its more than likely they will grow to be 12" before they stop strectching but you have to keep them at around 8")

Keep them under that 8" hieght by pushing them under your screen and watch the buds fill the rest of the case... ( this is just an example i am sure you arent working with the easy number of 12" but i if i had my PC still this is how i would do it)

godisadj

14" from floor to lights, that's about 9" of free headroom with the big pots in there.

That's some great info Jim, exactly what I was looking for. Much appriciated. :yes:

godisadj

Hi!

Just a quick update - I finally got around to making a new screen. It might be a bit on the chunky side, but I'll see how it goes! :bashhead:

Pics!

I've just actually realised when looking at that last picture, the lower left-hand leaf on the plant on the right appears to have a tear in it. Is this anything to be worried about?

I'm still trying to figure out the sex of the plants, here's some semi-closeups of plants D and E. Sorry I can't go in further, that's as close as my camera allows without going out of focus!

Any idea on sex, or is it still too early? These two plants are at 20 days above ground (12/12 from seed). I'll post some more pics in a few days!

Cheers.

Last edited:

waydee

Bit too early to tell sex I think, they'll show soon enough.

If you're having trouble focusing on things close up, see if your camera has a macro mode - on mine its indicated by a button with a little flower, most digital cameras will have such a mode... makes it possible to focus on close up stuff, 10cm away or so.

Dont worry about the leaf, it'll be fine - things are looking nice and green and healthy, good job.

godisadj

Ahah, "super" macro mode was actually already enabled on my camera although I didn't realise/know what it was. Those pics were taken about 4cm or so away from the focal point.

Grand, good to know about the leaf. I thought something was chomping its way through my plant there for a moment. :D

Top man, cheers for the info.