What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Another NGB.....with cool tube

DiscoDuck

:headbange
"We're a happy family,
We're a happy family
We're a happy family,
Me, mom and daddy" :headbange

Joey Ramone

Bagseed clone, 6 weeks veg, 14 days 12/12

DiscoDuck

not much on style....

....but the plants seem to like it alright.

two of my plants turned out to be males so I only have one plant in flower. I also have a few new bag seed babies.

the babies are about a week into it.

here's the lone clone that's at 30 days 12/12. the plant I took this from stretched like a bitch. I vegged this clone for a week or two less than the first plant, anticipating the stretch. This clone didn't stretch an inch! maybe it's a runt. it seems to be growing though.

This female is a sativa (bag seed) dominant strain that takes more than 13 weeks to mature. Hopefully in that amount of time the little lady will get a good bit bigger.

Here's the cola of the plant I took the clone from.

later, Duck

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
DiscoDuck said:
not much on style....

Horsepucky. I love this box (and thanks for adjusting the one photo) Did you manufacture the new hood?

Any reason you're not scrogging, topping, FIMing for maximising yield?

Quack. :wave:

DiscoDuck

FreezerBoy, thanks for the kind word....I bought a pebble finish hood and cut the L bracket off. The old security reflector burned holes in my plants. The new one works lots better. Two of my three plants in flower were males. I don't know why I didn't try to get a little more product out of this one. I've got a half dozen or so in veg and I'll probably LST.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
So the reflector is commercially available?

About your fan? Type? Stealth? Can someone come into the room and not ask "whazzat sound?" Or do you keep people out?

You may not have yeilded many buds but, you had one that looked like a football. I want to see you do a cab full. And then tell us how you did it. Of course, I also want a free trip to New Zealand ...

:wave:

DiscoDuck

lol Freezerboy,
Yes, I bought the reflector. The grow shops buy the stuff in large sheets, with a minimum of 4 sheets per order from the distributor. I tried to buy a piece 1' x 2' from a couple of grow shops, they suggested I buy their reflector instead. Maybe there's somebody out there smart enough to realize there's profit in flat reflector material that growers can fashion any way they want. HELLO??? It works much better than the smooth metal reflectors found in security lighting which did nothing but burn holes in my plants.

I ended up lurking on Ebay for a few weeks until I found a reflector I could afford. I used a drill press to remove the pop rivets that hold the reflector to the bulb bracket. The reflector is just laying on top of the cool tube but I'll eventually screw it to the cabinet top.

I got the fan on Ebay, $75.00 including shipping, 95cfm.

It moves lots of air and is less noisy than a centrifugal fan. I use a speed controller to slow the air flow down. On the lowest speed it'll suck the doors shut. The slow speed air flow is silent but you begin to hear the small hum of the motor.

That's why it's so cool you grow in a freezer. Nobody would ever suspect noise coming from a freezer. This is what made me think to put my computer console on top of my box. It's louder than the grow box anyway, I'm betting anyone hearing it will think it's just the computer.

Here's the speed controller, you don't have to mess with wires. Just plug it in.

If I had it to do all over, I'd buy one of these from WallyWorld for $15.00.

It doesn't move as much air as the fan I bought but it moves enough for a cabinet my size. It won't last as long as the one I bought but at $15.00 I could buy a half dozen of them for what I paid for one. The best thing about this fan is it runs practically silent. It is a dual cage fan and can move enough air to vent a light and circulate the cabinet.

That one bud weighed almost 11 grams dry. You're right, I'm gonna have to get on the ball and harvest greater yields. I'm probably gonna try LST first. I may eventually SCROG but I'm a little too lazy to try that right now. I grow a pretty good veg garden outside every year but house plants are a new science for me to learn. I've butchered a few house plants in my day.

Thanks for the encouragement.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Thanks for the info. Especially on the fan. I destroyed my stealth with the inline. The garage was never party town but, I've already had a neighbor ask why they never see me putting around the garage anymore. I need a new solution.

I've been shopping aluminium, too. Found some places but, it's almost as cheap to buy a pre-made batwing. And the batwing has a socket to boot.

Stay cool :wave:

Connoisseur300

Smoke it if ya got it!!
Veteran
Freezer boy- you can go to lows and buy roofing tin for about 10 dollars for a 6 ft roll or someting like that. It's what I made my reflecter out of and it works great.

DiscoDuck

thought I had enough circulation from the intakes and exhaust fan alone but my plants are small at six weeks:

I added an 80mm fan to the mix to stir things up a little

I realized temps might be a problem as well. This probe was placed 1/4" from the middle bulb.

week 7 - things are looking closer to what I'd expect, getting another muffin for the flower room asap.

Duck

DiscoDuck

celariom said:
amazing cab, are you using a CF ever?

Hello celariom, thanks. I'm only using the 150hps in flower, don't plan on adding as I've got about 60w per sq. foot and only 30" or so headroom. The veg room has three 20w cool CFLs. I'm only getting about 1400 lumens per sq. foot. I'll probably end up going with a 24x2 T5 when I get the extra cash. This will give me almost 2500 lumens per sq. foot. Thanks for stopping by.

iriebowl

sup duck,

thanks for the help. you made my day with that post. gonna draw it up and maybe scan it to post later. maybe you can gimme some more pointers. thanks

nice cab and buds

stay irie

DiscoDuck

nut'n much iriebowl, glad to offer my two cents. one thing I've learned there's always a better way (not necessarily mine) to design an NGB. I fascinated by dees things! Even when I did my homework and put together what's best for me, it only takes a month or two to see something better by another grower. kind of like computers, they keep gettin' better. lookin forward to your design.

discoduck sup!
you have the cleanest looking cab i've seen. everything simple and effective. i was about to buy a big cab because i wanted to run some power but when i seen your hole for the cooltube it got my creative juices flowin! thanks for taking the time to make this thread.

you ever thought about hanging that light vertical?

this is my cab

DiscoDuck

Hey fingas, thanks for stoppin by and muchos thankos for the compliments. Glad my ideas led to your good ideas, that's an awesome setup! Never dawned on me to go vertical. Was just sayin the other night that it only took a week or two to see peeps with better setups than I thought of. Kind of like computers, getting better every day! Maybe I'll see a few ideas for meself. I'm lookin forward to lots of pics of your grow there.

I've never scrogged (let alone vertical) but it looks like the most efficient way to produce. Gonna have to get off my lazy ass and make a scrog setup. Here's what I got goin now, bagseed Indica. Two are fims and two are single cola:

Duck

Last edited:
disco duck
thanks, glad you like the cab. i'm not trying to go into the whole hydro is better thing, but have you thought of trying hydro? i was shocked to see the growth rate for the first time. i bet it would help make that cab a little more productive.

i really dig the vertical screen, it's not hard to do a scrog at all. just veg till the screen is about half full and switch the light. this is my first attempt with the vertical screen and it's easier to train than a horiz screen. i might not have as much vegetative matter but the sweet thing is that every top is right next to the light. hopefully no under developed buds(popcorn) when it's done.

there will be plenty of pictures when it stops the stretch. people didn't seem too excited when they seen it in veg but i hope that changes when the cola's start. looking good for a full screen so far!

have you looked at CMH's? the growth was like nothing i've seen. made my not so branchy plant into a node machine! there cheaper too. :headbange

DiscoDuck

stke_fingas said:
disco duck
thanks, glad you like the cab. i'm not trying to go into the whole hydro is better thing, but have you thought of trying hydro? i was shocked to see the growth rate for the first time. i bet it would help make that cab a little more productive.

i really dig the vertical screen, it's not hard to do a scrog at all. just veg till the screen is about half full and switch the light. this is my first attempt with the vertical screen and it's easier to train than a horiz screen. i might not have as much vegetative matter but the sweet thing is that every top is right next to the light. hopefully no under developed buds(popcorn) when it's done.

there will be plenty of pictures when it stops the stretch. people didn't seem too excited when they seen it in veg but i hope that changes when the cola's start. looking good for a full screen so far!

have you looked at CMH's? the growth was like nothing i've seen. made my not so branchy plant into a node machine! there cheaper too. :headbange

Hey man, I didn't know you were doin CMH. Those look like they'll replace hps for growing, for a lotta people anyway. I'll probably hang with the hps for a few grows, see how things go. I might consider a lower wattage cmh in veg but the headroom isn't so good for a hot bulb. I can already imagine a vertical tube piped into the utility room above, maybe later on.

I've been an outdoor gardener most of my adult life but house plants have been a test, I'm still playing hit and miss with soil/indoor. If I ever decide to go hydro, I might consider dwc buckets. Keep things easy for starters.

I like that vertical screen too, glad to hear you're gonna post more pics. I plan to post weekly even if I don't get much traffic. Maybe when the buds start to pop we'll get a few more looks.

Duck

dude cmh rocks! :headbange

they run a lot cooler than hps and the nodes are killa. do great in veg and i'll let ya know how the bloom cycle goes on my thread.

i use that same small fan in that picture above, it does my scrubbing for 15 min every hour. awesome little fan for the price and size. it's separated on the inside so i'm only using half of it's power. i've used it to cool a 400w hps in a reflector so i bet it would cool a lower watt cmh in a cool tube no prob and that would be wicked in your little space. cmh doesn't have the radiant heat like a hps bulb.

check out my thread tonight for picture updates, the screen is pretty much full with nodes everywhere! i'm never vegging with mh again.

IMO hydro is easier than soil. you might find it to be easier to hurt your plants but it's also easy to fix any problems pretty fast. i love the growth too.

i hear you on nobody posting, i have hella views but not much traffic. probably cause i was vegging too. i bet it's going to pick up when they see a screen full of buds though. :jump:

Last edited:
DiscoDuck,
Where did you get that Speed Controller for your fan?? The fan I have looks really similar to yours, mine is a 90CFM Hydrofarm Active Air.
I take it you plug the fan into the controller and then the controller into the power source??
Does it mess with your motor at all??

I really need a simple way to tone down the power my fan has.....the whoosh noise of air moving is getting annoying.

THanks