What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

6K Drain to Waste Chemdog D

Securityfirst

Hi everyone!

Here are pics of expansion from Sour Grape 6k grow into another 6k Drain to Waste setup for two rooms for 12k total. I had a friend from this site build the room all by himself! He is a grow genius and I'm glad that our paths have crossed.

Very pleased with the outcome. We used remnants from my ebb and grow bucket system and changed to a DTW system. Using a 55 gallon resovoir and 45 buckets of Chemdog D and a couple Casey Jones. Some equipment we used is 6 1000 watt lights, an industrial Co2 burner and a Shinco 18000 BTU Split AC system. I highly reccomend that thing, it is the best grow purchase I have ever made. We are also going to install a Sante Fe classic dehumidifier. So far we have spent about 6k or so. Technically it is now a 12k grow with both rooms flowering at once.

Any suggestions/comments appreciated.

picture015n.jpg

picture039szm.jpg

picture037eyo.jpg

Chemdog D 91
picture016i.jpg

*mistress*

Veteran
nice garden!

only thing would consider altering is drain...

would place buckets in shallow-narrow-type storage containers. or, make troughs out of wood, coated in fiberglass resin/pond liner. install wicks into drainage holes of buckets/containers.

this will dramatically decrease water consumption, as the waste/run-off will simply be wicked up into media. will also get rid of issue of fertilizer waste disposal. will also get rid of drainage hoses+lines+catch container(s), etc. have run several times w/out issues of run-off being wicked. basically drain-to-waste w/out the waste...

enjoy your garden!

Securityfirst

Daylite thanks. Mistress I hear you and thanks for the tip. I just let my friend do as he do on this one. Smokesalot you can have this much room to play with if you try a little harder im sure. Yes avatar is Salvador Dali.

Simple Green thank you for stopping in , I have dreamt of growing bud for as long as I can remember.

Funkbomp thanks appreciate it.

Today is day 3 flower..............

G

grow nerd

I actually had plenty of help on this room.

I'll teach Securityfirst how to resize pictures to a size that's a bit more pleasant to load (something like 800x600).

*mistress*, let's talk about wicking systems. I've only read of various wick systems... which I suppose includes Hempy Buckets. I've been tempted to try it once, but it doesn't interest me that much for a variety of reasons... one of the larger ones being salt build-up and lack of air replenishment.

G

Guest 18340

Holy shit man! Youre not fuqin around are you.
Waht size are those black buckets? What kinda nutes you using?
Damn dude, you sure as hell got my attention:respect:

Securityfirst

Hey Grownerd , how ya doin? Thanks for stopping in. I need to learn how to downsize the pics, they load fast on my screen , he he.

Evlme2, we are not fugin around this time you are right. The black buckets are 2 gallons. They are the buckets that come in the Ebb and Grow kit. The nutes we are using are Liquid Karma, Cutting Edge Solutions three part Grow, Micro and Bloom and Hydrozyme as always. Generally running the nutes at 1000ppm. May up it a notch when the Co2 and temps get dialed in.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Lookin good guys! Dunno if you've done CD before, mine always took 73 days every time I've done it just so's you knows. ;)

G

grow nerd

Thanks for the reply *mistress*. Although I don't have time to go through the entire post right now, I did catch a few things such as ... agitating containers daily? How many plants do you flower at a time?

I'm familiar with how wick systems are built and how they work fundamentally, but I'm curious on the maintenance side on a larger scale. Definitely interested in trying on a smaller scale in the near future, though.

Same concept as a "Grobal", right?

G

Guest 18340

One more question if ya don't mind, how big is the total area and does that 18kbtu mini split cool the whole thing? I'm running a small 9kbtu mini split and the thing amazes me.
I'm surprised more people haven't posted, your op is bad ass.

*mistress*

Veteran
Thanks for the reply *mistress*. Although I don't have time to go through the entire post right now, I did catch a few things such as ... agitating containers daily? How many plants do you flower at a time?

I'm familiar with how wick systems are built and how they work fundamentally, but I'm curious on the maintenance side on a larger scale. Definitely interested in trying on a smaller scale in the near future, though.

Same concept as a "Grobal", right?
practically the same. nor is agitating containers necessary, really.
they will wick up the water/nutes whether agiated or not. only pointed that out for aeartion concerns.
if must, can place airstones in trough.

if have to have automation, can simply rig a float valve to maintain 1-1 1/2" level of water/nutes in trough. basically an inexpensive 'dutch paht'.

can simply have 100 gal of mixed solution w/ bubbler in container, and simply bottom-feed in tray/trough until 2"-4". repeat every 3-7 days, if have digi timer/cheap sprinkler timer... or can use cheapo plastic timer and just feed 15 min a day, w/ hole in side of though/tray @~ 2"... can abandon timer altogether and run pump 24/7, if tray/trough level is 1-2 inches... rig top-off @ 33-50%... rig drain from ac to go to top off water... in imagination, can leave garden for min of wk... w/ no automation. fictitiously, w/ automation could probably go entire season - if know cultivar, transplant @ right time, & have drain from ac going to top-off water; as recycle that right back into system... becomes regenerative. plants seem to transpire ~1/2 of the water provided per day, when growing fast, w/ higher temps... can do ~90% self-sustaining garden.

# of plants is no concern. can use cheapo rio pump to simply keep water cycling thru troughs. as long as wick(s) in contact w/ water, will uptake. humates+good nute (maybe gh...) & ph should remain stable - as ph from ac drain is generally 6.0-6.2. gh will buffer rest...

Last edited:

Securityfirst

Hey Evlme2, there is one bedroom that is 10 by 14 and then you go through a double french hollow doorway to the other room that is 10 by 11. We are working on getting it to be a completely sealed room now. The 18000 btu Shinco split ac should keep it real cool because we vented the lights with cool air from the belly of the house, a rather nice option. Right now the temp is 80. Keep in mind we have not fired up the Co2 generator yet as we are having an issue of getting the pilot light lit. Of all things. Thanks for stopping in.

Mistress thank you for all of your useful info. It sounds like you are talking about something similar to earthboxes, no?