What's new

317g Trim to Oil Test

the gnome

Veteran
""Ready for the solvent......2 gals per bag works good...Pour as fast as you can making sure to get everything wet........then use it over & over on other bags.""

^^this is the quote from mr weekend from the
2nd page of this thread^^

when you say use it over and over, are you talking about reusing the acetone thats already been poured over the material??
if so how many runs can you use, using the same batch of acetone??

after you pour the 2 gallons over your shake in the 5 gallon bucket is that it for the shake??
you don't pour anymore over it
and how long do you take to pour the 2 gallons of solvent on the shake?

looking at the pic on the 2nd page, sticks and leaves they aren't broken up, well the stems are to fit in the bag.
but should you not crush up the trim?

how about if your using bud, should you crush that up and how much should it be crushed if so? to what consistancy

I almost burned down the house!! Definitely do this outdoors!!! I used acetone... and everything was looking good... had some dark green fluid... I was going to do a double boiler... and everything caught fire!!! Lucky I did this outside... or the whole house would have went down!!! I had a hose outside luckily .. but everything was on fire!! the shed... a table... etc...

DO THIS OUTSIDE>.... don't use flames!! Use electric... or let most of it evaporate!! IMO!!!

MrWeekend

""Ready for the solvent......2 gals per bag works good...Pour as fast as you can making sure to get everything wet........then use it over & over on other bags.""

^^this is the quote from mr weekend from the
2nd page of this thread^^

when you say use it over and over, are you talking about reusing the acetone thats already been poured over the material??
if so how many runs can you use, using the same batch of acetone??

after you pour the 2 gallons over your shake in the 5 gallon bucket is that it for the shake??
you don't pour anymore over it
and how long do you take to pour the 2 gallons of solvent on the shake?

looking at the pic on the 2nd page, sticks and leaves they aren't broken up, well the stems are to fit in the bag.
but should you not crush up the trim?

how about if your using bud, should you crush that up and how much should it be crushed if so? to what consistancy

gnome I answered your pm...feel free to post it in here.

I almost burned down the house!! Definitely do this outdoors!!! I used acetone... and everything was looking good... had some dark green fluid... I was going to do a double boiler... and everything caught fire!!! Lucky I did this outside... or the whole house would have went down!!! I had a hose outside luckily .. but everything was on fire!! the shed... a table... etc...

DO THIS OUTSIDE>.... don't use flames!! Use electric... or let most of it evaporate!! IMO!!!

this is why you have to be careful.......I always let mine evaporate naturally, until the very end, then double boil with electric.....NEVER use flames.

pip313

I just wanted to say that almost no pure liquid is flammable, its their vapors when mixed with oxygen, and no offence but you have to be a idiot to put fumes of a flammable nature in the air on purpose (evaporating solvent) with a open flame underneath.

If you don't have a electric heat source use the sun or just drive straight to a hospital and ask for drug counseling, because its that or blowing your face off as you don't have common sence.

MrWeekend

***Please Remember, all SOLVENTS ARE EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE!. especially the vapors!***

A correct purge of all solvents is HIGHLY recommended

#1 - Acetone - 33g
#2 - Denatured Alc - 22g
#3 - 91% ISO - 16g
#4 - Butane - 5.5g

1, 2, 3 smoke almost identical, & are the same dark amber color.....1 & 3 are less tacky than #2....#1 has the best smell out of all 4.

4, looks & taste the best, but yielded horrible.

In my book, acetone is the way to go for yield. Acetone smells the worst out of all solvents. Please wear atleast a painters mask, with organic solvents filter.

Figure it was as good of time as any to repost this.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
what do you think of ISO 99/100 as a solvent? I did a batch and it came out black tar color.

How long did you soak the material in the ISO? Maximum should be about 40 seconds, I like to do 30 seconds and it comes out a nice dark golden brown. I believe a longer soak introduces plant material into your solution and causes it to be darker and taste less pleasant. I prefer 99% ISO but 91% works too, it just takes longer to evap the extra 8% water.

IPuFF

Has anyone had problems with the acetone eating up there sieve bags? This would seem like a problem to me?

MrWeekend

Has anyone had problems with the acetone eating up there sieve bags? This would seem like a problem to me?

Good question......I only use nylon filter bags, which acetone & 100% alcohol will NOT harm. Ive also tried polyester, which is cheaper, & it didnt have any weakening with the short washes. The internet says polyester is not resistant to alc., and acetone but I couldnt get it to dissolve even with a 12hr soak.....so I just go with nylon to be safe.:tiphat:

kilacaLIbud

denatured
this is a awesome thread.. i alwasy wanted to do this . but never got around to do it ... thanks for throwing in my method of denatured.. but u forgot 1 other solvent... HEXANE . .the good thing about hexane is that no matter how long u soak it ..it will not extract chlorophill
good idea on the paint bags.. when i made my denatured thread they didnt even make those .. this was 2003 tho lol .. :thank you:

kilacaLIbud

i would start a thread. but since i am no longer growin i have nothing to produce with .. the process is the same as anyother oil process.. but hexane comes in a areosol like butane.. .. the one i used is http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/409b.html
but any electrical contact cleaner will work .. as long as it contains hexane and no lubricants

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i would start a thread. but since i am no longer growin i have nothing to produce with .. the process is the same as anyother oil process.. but hexane comes in a areosol like butane.. .. the one i used is http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/409b.html
but any electrical contact cleaner will work .. as long as it contains hexane and no lubricants

Hexane also comes by the liter from a scientific supply house and is the more volatile component of naphtha.

As a Hex molecule, it is completely non polar, and does a very clean extraction, but is a heavy enough molecule to be more difficult to purge than butane or alcohol.

I put my plant material and hexane in a jar and periodically shake for about 12 hours at ambient. I then decant through a strainer and filter before evaporating off the hexane.

My attempts to purge deep pools of oil with hexane residual left in it were not totally successful, so I have found best to first evaporate off the hexane in a shallow dish with a fan or vacuum, redissolve in ethanol, and cook that off to purge the rest of the hexane.

The extract has a drier appearance than BHO and a hashy flavor. Residual hexane tastes like gasoline.

Ghetto hexane can be procured by using electronic cleaning products like MG Contact Cleaner, which is hexane with enough fluorocarbon propellant to make it an aerosol.

I also use hexane to steal the goodies away from an alcohol extraction, to get rid of undesirable water solubles picked up by the alcohol.

If you mix the alcohol extraction with equal parts hexane and saturated salt water, the hexane will absorb the cannabis oil and rise to the top, leaving the alcohol and water mixture on the bottom in a separatory funnel.

Easy to then bleed off the water and alcohol, replete with all the garbage, before evaporating off the hexane, and ending up with a pristine extraction.

jump117

Veteran
Hi kilacaLIbud! Hi Gray_Wolf! thanks for sharing your expirience :thank you:.
If I had one, I'd apply it to ethanol solution that boils in vac -28 inHg at ambient temperature.
Is it good for terpenes saving at low temp evap or will vacuum -28 inHg remove terpenes together with ethanol ?

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just tried this method ,I didn't have any specific micron bags.I had a very porous filter bag that came with my carbon filter.I used 1 gallon of clean strip and dunked and agitated the filter back in a 5 gallon bucket..The pans of acetone evaporated almost completly overnite in the garage with no heat ..

Not having the right filter left me with a bunch of material..But happy to report ,i used just under a pound of veg leaves and sugar trim.And ended up with 7 grams of some beautiful black hash.This method is awsome,mad respect to OP for making this thread ,,,,,,Thanks!!!!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi kilacaLIbud! Hi Gray_Wolf! thanks for sharing your expirience :thank you:.

If I had one, I'd apply it to ethanol solution that boils in vac -28 inHg at ambient temperature.
Is it good for terpenes saving at low temp evap or will vacuum -28 inHg remove terpenes together with ethanol ?

Hi bro!

They both out gas, but vacuum saves more of the turpenoids than low heat.

I picked up a new half horse <100 micron AC vacuum pump for under $200 on e-bay. Hooking it up to a 14 quart pressure cooker , allows setting beakers and such inside and boiling them off without removing them from the original containers.

So how many times can the acetone be re-run over fresh trim? (by fresh I mean un-washed. I'm assuming all trim/plant material is dry before the wash)

Also how many times over the same trim? Just one quick wash and trash the 5gal bag full, or multiple washes before it's trashed?

I know these questions were answered in a PM, but it wasn't posted.

eman

Can someone please answer the question regarding how many washes are done with the acetone before you boil it off?

thanks