What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dabney Blueberry 800w cmh/hps rockwool bucket scrog

Cannabean

I was convinced to try rockwool buckets instead of dwc so lets have a go at it.

I went to lowes, bought 5x10' pvc pipe, bunch of 3/4" adapters, both size cement tubs Lowes offers, 3x 5gal buckets, and 2" cement reinforcement grate for the scrog, total ~ $65. Im trying to keep it as diy as possible.

One $40 bale of grodan shredded rockwool filled the buckets with about 2/3 left over.
I soaked the rockwool overnight in ph 5.5 r/o water.
Drilled some drainage holes in the buckets.

Filled the buckets with the soaking rockwool and let it drain

ph'd the runoff and flooded the buckets one more time with ph5.5 and let it drain

Backfilled the dabney babies in

ph 5.5 ppm 350

Like I said I have no experience with rockwool buckets whatsoever :bashhead: Any and all help will be appreciated.
I'll do a diy for the flood/drain table+scrog with parts list and measurements if there is some interest but its very similar to Levitikuz's ebb tables: http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=70262

:jump: rockwool growers please stop by and say hi :jump: :joint:

JustinCase

At first glance I thought that bucket full of shredded rockwool on the second pic was buds. Ha. Good luck on this run Canna. I'll surely be lurking somewhere in the background. Have fun :smoke:

Papulz

lover of all things hashlike
Veteran
i only see one light... do you have 2 - 400w wired up or is there actually an 800 watt lamp avail that im unaware of?

Cannabean

thanks for stopping by fellas.

JustinCase: haha I wish that bucket was full of buds!

Papulz: they are vegging under one 400w cmh right now, another 400w cmh will be turn on near flowering, 800w hps will be swapped in for flowering.

NBG

This is an excellent method of growing! I had great results with it.
First tip - cover up the rockwool with some hydroton clay balls or pieces of poly. It will soon be green and slimy otherwise.

Cannabean

Thanks NGB! :headbange: I added the hydroton and am happy I did, it helps the rockwool get equally wet since I'm handwatering these buckets.

quick update today, still veggin, and will be for a while.

ppm 550
ph 5.4

comments/questions/tips welcome :dance:

NBG

Absolutely text book my man. Are those plants all female - or have you yet to find out?
What brand of nutes are you using? The plants are so healthy :)

Something for you to try in the future: Put an airstone in the very bottom of each pot then have a 2" layer of hydroton before filling the rest with rockwool cubes. I had awesome results doing this. When i used to hand feed them the pots would be sitting in about an inch of nutes in the tray. The airstones in the pots would be bubbling it all up and the growth was explosive. Have a looksee at the link in my signature to see for yourself.
I think you'll do exceptionally well on this run, and it'll be alot less hassle than dwc!

Edit - here's what i mean about the airstone:
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/7909/dscn0312zr0.jpg
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5883/dscn0313xc5.jpg
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1673/dscn0314ib4.jpg

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Is this E&F or handwatered? Hydroton prevents algae on top of an e&f/DWC etc because it doesn't wick. Pour enough food and water on top of it ...

sarek

dabney is a smallish indica with not too much stretch so veg it longer to get medium sized plants. Very nice rock hard nugs. Looks done at 7 weeks but can go 8 or maybe even 9 weeks though I do not think much extra yield or benefits in waiting too long.

Cannabean

hola friends. quick update time.

NGB: All of these girls are females, they are clones from Swerve's mums if you know of his cuts.
They get fed twice daily with GH grow/micro/bloom 1:1:1, calmag, liquid karma, and hygrozyme at 620ppm at the moment.
In flowering they will get Hydroplex and haven't decided if I want to run bushmaster/purple maxx again so we'll see.
The airstone idea sounds cool, kind of a dwc/rockwool mix. My tray has drain holes in it though so there is no standing water.

Kwigbo: thanks buddy. how's your cab coming along?

Freezerboy: hey man thanks for stoppin by :rasta: These buckets are handwatered. I water and get about 50% runoff and reuse(re-nute and ph) this runoff one more time before before I dump it and make new solution. At the moment I use about 3 gallons in 3 days and then re-nute this and get about 3 more days before I make new solution.

Sarek: thanks for the info. Is the dabney cut you're talking about from swerve? I'll probably cut it at 8 weeks if thats the case. they still have a week or more before I put the scrog on and then flowering not long after that.

more progress coming soon! :joint:

ppm 620
ph 5.4

Cannabean

I hung the other 400w CMH last week and put the scrog on. The girls will be under 800w cmh for another week until the stretch slows and then switch out to 800w hps. :kitty:
Flowering Day 1:
ppm 750 ph 5.8 g/m/b@1:1:1 calmag+LK+hygrozyme

Prof Sublime

Hard working pothead
Veteran
Very nice man. Your setup is ultra clean and very easy on the eyes. I will definetly be lurking thru here. Take it easy :joint:

Buddle

Veteran
Nice work Cannabean.I am contemplating something very similar for my indoor as soon as I'm done outside.Dabney is a killer cut too_One I wished I hadn't let go..

Cannabean

Thanks for the words fellas.
I popped in two new 400w hortilux hps bulbs on day 7 and stopped pulling the budsites under the screen.
(sorry for the poor pictures, no more clean cmh spectrum to shoot under.)

Flowering Day 10 - 9.27.08
ph 6.0 ppm 1050
(g/m/b at .25:1:2, LK 5ml/g, Calmag 3ml/g, hygrozyme 3ml/g)

eww hps glow

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Hey, Canna, you got the memo about me movin' in, right? Don't worry, I have my own bong, and papers, and grinder, and roach clips, and matches ... seems I'm forgetting something ... oh, well, whatever it is, I'm sure you have some.

Looking very, very nice.

Latest posts

Latest posts