What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zeolite (zeogreen)

Azeotrope

Veteran
Clinoptilolite is the most common. I stumbled on a kitty litter that is about $7-10 per 25lb bag and it is Clinoptilotite which is the high Si variant of Clinoptilolite.

I count it as aeration, N regulation and a possible source of P, Ca and Si...... There is quite a bit of good study showing it as a benefit.

Azeotrope

Veteran
Just thought I'd add that I use the Zeolite Clinoptilotite 50/50 with coco as a cloning medium and really like it! Works well.

floral

Just wondering... As clinoptiololite is known to hold N particularly well, would it make sense to charge it with N before mixing into soil?

I have used it in soil mix (about 5% of total volume) but it just occurred to me that maybe if it has a special affinity for N one could take advantage of that by giving it a bath in alfalfa tea or nettles extract before mixing. Thoughts?

Yeti

I have been curious about this as well. My aquaponic system sometimes becomes too concentrated with Nitrogenous compounds and I have been curious to use it as a regulatory measure for keeping the concentrations in check. As a by-product of this application, this would yield saturated zeolite for use in building soil which got my wheels spinning. Two birds, one stone, quite literally.

I would assume placing it in alfalfa or nettle tea would yield similar results.

floral

EDIT - one possible answer from the wikipedia page
In agriculture, clinoptilolite (a naturally occurring zeolite) is used as a soil treatment. It provides a source of slowly released potassium. If previously loaded with ammonium, the zeolite can serve a similar function in the slow release of nitrogen. Zeolites can also act as water moderators, in which they will absorb up to 55% of their weight in water and slowly release it under the plant's demand. This property can prevent root rot and moderate drought cycles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeolite#Agriculture
Anybody know what's the best way to load it with plant-based ammonium? Soak with organic nettles, alfalfa, neem cake, soybean meal? Pee on it? Most of my N sources are not labeled as to which kind of N is in there, NH4 or NO3, and my memories of the N cycle from 10th grade bio are a little foggy.

Last edited:
I can get a 50 lb. bag of zeolite and a 30 pound bag of per lite for 16 dollars.
For that reason i opted using zeolite as a perlite substitute
Since theres not much info here i figured to to try it for my organic grows to look for benefits/drawbacks
if it works maybe ill post some results...

EDIT - one possible answer from the wikipedia page
Anybody know what's the best way to load it with plant-based ammonium? Soak with organic nettles, alfalfa, neem cake, soybean meal? Pee on it? Most of my N sources are not labeled as to which kind of N is in there, NH4 or NO3, and my memories of the N cycle from 10th grade bio are a little foggy.

Free urine is a great source of nitrogen, plus it contains many other vitamins, minerals. Drink water. Eat no highly processed/fast foods, low salts, lots of fruits and greens, nuts and legumes, probiotic foods help, milk, and whole grains. you'll be doing you and your plants a favor :)

I know that chicken doo doo is loaded with ammonium; since it is used as fertilizer i would assume its the good kind. Its cheap and easy to find. A good compost tea and I would imagine only good could come since zeolite would probably stop you from burning your plants with its slow release.

Truly, there is only one way to find out.

Best of luck :tiphat:

bigshrimp

Veteran
You can replace crushed oyster shells with zeolite in your chicken feed, there is quite a bit of chatter about the benefits for the chickens.

The real goodies would be the zeo - poo

Nannymouse

Was just checking out what zeolite is made from. It's silica and aluminum. After being metal poisoned with aluminum and numerous other metals and stuff, i was thinking about how good Cannabis is at drawing up substances. I found nothing much online.

Thoughts?

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Was just checking out what zeolite is made from. It's silica and aluminum. After being metal poisoned with aluminum and numerous other metals and stuff, i was thinking about how good Cannabis is at drawing up substances. I found nothing much online.

Thoughts?
That shouldn't happen with natural zeolite. I only found info about ingesting zeolite and the stomach is not acidic enought to do so. So i assume it won't happen in soil. It can happen if synthetic zeolit a or zeolite with less si contend is ingested.
Natural zeolite has ionic exchange capability and can containe some nasty stuff like lead so i would use foodgrade zeolite or for vegetable gardening and not kitty litter.