What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zeolite (zeogreen)

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Hey Mad Libb..You can't sleep either??LOL!
I been up since yesterday....sucks!

I thought I read somewhere Zeolite has an affinity for P or K, can't remember which.
Didn't want it sucking out my nutes.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
From wiki;

From wiki;

(from Wiki)
Zeolites have a porous structure that can accommodate a wide variety of cations, such as Na+, K+, Ca2+, Mg2+ and others. These positive ions are rather loosely held and can readily be exchanged for others in a contact solution.

My question, is this "good" for us, or "bad"?

Also,
According to the United States Geological Survey, it is likely that a significant percentage of the material sold as zeolites in some countries is ground or sawn volcanic tuff that contains only a small amount of zeolites. Some examples of such usage are dimension stone (as an altered volcanic tuff), lightweight aggregate, pozzolanic cement, and soil conditioners.[6]
SD:tiphat:

C

CC_2U

(from Wiki)
Zeolites have a porous structure that can accommodate a wide variety of cations, such as Na+, K+, Ca2+, Mg2+ and others. These positive ions are rather loosely held and can readily be exchanged for others in a contact solution.

My question, is this "good" for us, or "bad"?

Good.

Humic acid and clay carry a negative charge (-) and you'll note from the Wiki source that the Na, K, Ca and Mg all carry positive charges (+) which means that these cations are held by what are referred to as 'exchange sites' on the humic acid and clay molecules.

In the soil Hyrdogen (H+) is basically a form of payment for the exchange of cations. Roots exude Hydrogen and a single Calcium (Ca++) can be exchanged for two Hydrogen cations (hence the writing using either Ca++ or Ca2). So the plant exchanges two Hydrogen cations for a single Calcium cation (or whatever elemental is being requested by the plant).

It would seem from cursory reading that Zeolite carries a negative charge (probably from some form of clay that is often found in volcanic sources).

CC

Scrappy4

Veteran
Good, the key word is exchange. Tightly bound won't help us. It does look somewhat simular to azomite......scrappy

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Good.

Humic acid and clay carry a negative charge (-) and you'll note from the Wiki source that the Na, K, Ca and Mg all carry positive charges (+) which means that these cations are held by what are referred to as 'exchange sites' on the humic acid and clay molecules.

In the soil Hyrdogen (H+) is basically a form of payment for the exchange of cations. Roots exude Hydrogen and a single Calcium (Ca++) can be exchanged for two Hydrogen cations (hence the writing using either Ca++ or Ca2). So the plant exchanges two Hydrogen cations for a single Calcium cation (or whatever elemental is being requested by the plant).

It would seem from cursory reading that Zeolite carries a negative charge (probably from some form of clay that is often found in volcanic sources).

CC

:thank you:
I guess I'll mix it in.
Shoulda picked up all of it. (end of season clearance)
Got three bags.

SD

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
I have been using Zeolite for about a year now and have gotten mine off eBay for rather cheap. Check it out. I also use azomite, but wouldnt really call them similar, as they're pretty different. Azomite= betonite clay basically(unique in its trace minerals though).

Also, I found this information from Axis websites that compares zeolite to D.E and Calcined Clay.

http://www.axisplayball.com/PDF_Files/Definitions_HANDOUT.pdf

C

CC_2U

Colloidal Minerals

Colloidal Minerals

This is a cite from an article by Dr. John Faust (BioAg.com) on the use of colloidal minerals for human health and while most of the article isn't geared to horticulture or agriculture the properties described are a constant. I added the links for anyone interested in reading more about specific differences:
The colloidal minerals used in nearly all mineral products are derived from clays that have origin of volcanic activity from deep within the earth. These clays vary slightly in their composition and therefore are called different names like, bentonite, montmorillite, kaolanite, pyrophillite, and zeolite among others. Collectively they are known as alumino-silicates, a sub-class of phyllites.

Azomite is Montmorillonite in case you're interested.

Glacial rock dust is not a colloidal mineral.

CC

DARC MIND

Veteran
listen to coot
if yea check out the properties/nutrient analysis of azomite,zeolite,pyroclay etc,ther very much the same

silica rich pyrophyllite(aluminium silicate)
Also, I found this information from Axis websites that compares zeolite to D.E and Calcined Clay.
maybe in water holding properties but zeolite & other rock dust, do much more imho

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In regions defined by heavy glacial activity, the loess left behind is the finer ground remnant of the glacial till. Much like old riverbeds, it will contain a variety based on the large region from which the flow of the glacier/river originated/passed through. If that larger region tends to be agriculturally rich, the loess will reflect that.

C

CC_2U

Anyone know anything about Loess soil? It's a specific kind of glacial "flour"

J

More likely than not it's the Gaia Green Glacial Rock Dust product out of British Columbia on the West Coast.

AKA Glacial Rock Flour - many consider this to be the best 'rock dust' that you can use but that's another subject for another thread.

Good amendment, IMHO

CC

descivii

CC, not a purchased product; It's all over where I used to work. I've seen native trees like cottonwood and black locust growing in it alone but it's very lightly colored and very little if any organic matter. I've heard it has lots of mineral variety but never really tried to use it. I know you can shape the shit like playdough when its wet.

J

floral

When mixing a new batch of soil, would you count zeolite toward the aeration percentage or the CEC/humics percentage? I always sort of count it as half of both--same with inoculated biochar (holds air and facilitates CEC).

Never sure I'm putting in the right amount, but I believe I keep it under 5% of the total. Anyone have a rationale for a particular quantity of zeolite?