What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

zamzia's floating ideas thread

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do it man, do it !
If you can fit this into your schedule, that could just be the peer pressure I need to pop some of those DJ Short F-13 seeds I have in the vault.

zamzia

Veteran
Looking for ideas please fellas..

My mate has a room that is approx 10' x 9' and wants to do a run. Ideally set and (practically) forget. I've not looked a 'off the shelf' systems for a long time, but know a few friends that have used autopots and IWS systems and said they've liked them. Also I've forgotten the rule of thumb for lighting per square foot etc. I need some guidance.

All invited, just looking for people to throw ideas in please!

All the best
zam

Blazeee

Veteran
Looking for ideas please fellas..

My mate has a room that is approx 10' x 9' and wants to do a run. Ideally set and (practically) forget. I've not looked a 'off the shelf' systems for a long time, but know a few friends that have used autopots and IWS systems and said they've liked them. Also I've forgotten the rule of thumb for lighting per square foot etc. I need some guidance.

All invited, just looking for people to throw ideas in please!

All the best
zam

Idealy you want 50w per sq/ft

One of my mates has a 10x10 tent and runs 9 600w's in there with the either a 12 inch 3250 or 4250 box fan.

Maybe try to split the room in half with a walk way down the center so you can gain access to all the plants, maybe make each side 3.5x10 ft and throw 3 600w's over each side in some adjustawings? If you wanted you could even throw a couple vertical 600w's in the walkway? If your budget is bigger maybe consider gavitas or other DE lighting systems, either way i would probably throw 3 lights over each side.

I aint used any of those off the shelf systems. another friend of mine has a iws rdwc system, but hes lazy and uses the ph perfect nutrients from AN and hes stuff aint all that when it comes down. + you would need a chiller and heater etc for warm and cold months

Personally i would use autopots with all mix, real easy to set and forget i reckon. Couple large flexi tanks joined together. Thats what i would do if you want a low maintenance set and forget system

Blazeee

Veteran
Cheers my man Blazeeeeee! That's the sort of input I'm looking for!

No problem Zam

I would definitely consider splitting the room, throw a couple double layered trellises/scrogs on each side. If its around 3. ft deep you should still be able to defoliate at the back if you lean in there.

Auto pots with a couple large res's joined together. Only work would be refilling the res once or twice a week and defoliating before you flip and a couple times during flower.

Go with the double scrog so you dont have to fuck around with staking everything as it can take up alot of time, + it will make for a good drying rack once harvest time comes, no fucking around with hanging string or washing line up lol.

Dont go with the drying nets as your buds just get flat on one side. Trim the big leaves off then dry trim the rest and throw the dry buds on the nets while you work your way through it, and if you put something under the net you can collect any kief that falls off :biggrin:

Also maybe consider lining the floor of the room with pond liner or something similar in the event of a leak to prevent flooding the room and ruining the roof downstairs lol. Will also make it easier come tear down time so you wont get any dirt and shit stuck in the carpet if the room has one.

zamzia

Veteran
I usually use hydroton with hydro nutes... Does the allmix produce better results do you know? And would I need to get terra nutes?

DunHav`nFun

Hey Zam....If you want a truly set it and forget it system for bigger plants that requires no chiller and grows em as big as you want em , then go look at Delta9nxs` PPK setup.....

Easy to DIY and plumb , shit all but grows itself with a simple multi top fed timed and recirculating slow and easy....Works kinda sorta like ebb and flow buckets with roots in upper container , but with a drain piece filled with medium that acts as a wick in the lower container and a control rez for maintaining proper fluid levels for insurance the plant wont dry out if power fails....now....

Blazee`s right in that 50 watts per sq ft is optimum , but if environment`s not dialed with proper VPD in the 70 percentile range of RH till stretch is over and decreasing till Harvey , along within lights on and off temps held to within 10 degrees or less to prevent excess condensation , plus air movement and CO 2 in the 8-900 ppm range , slingin light at em`s the last thing to worry about IME.....also...

2-4x8 flood tables setup on wheels and arranged with the 2' width walkway allows you the ability of working the wall plants that normally can`t be gotten to easily by rolling tables back and forth to gain access...that is if you wanna run increased plant numbers with a rez underneath each table.....

Pretty much the next best bulletproof setup with no chiller required just depending on how far down the rabbit hole yas wanna go.....lol.....

Good luck with your bro`s setup and holler if I can help.....many ways ta skin a mule.....

Peace....DHF....:ying:.....

F

Freedom45

One of my rooms is a similar size,

I run 2 rows of 3 * 600w in the large adjust a wing Reflectors with a walkway down the middle, although this generally turns into sod all walking room mid flower, so this time I’ve installed a net system that I can raise and lower throughout flower and binned the walkway off and run 4 of the small size reflector 315 CmH as an experiment, with plants on the walkway …I used to pull 100 - 110 out of 6 lights so hoping to crack 140 with the new lights.

I’m soil so cannot offer a perspective on systems but generally IMO set it and forget it systems are not good with newbies if your mate hasn’t really grown before, the daily interaction of watering helps spot hermis, nutrient problems and pest problems. If he’s new why not spend the cash on good lights instead of hydro systems and just set a load of pond liner and trays on the floor, 15L soil pots etc. Bottomfeed the trays with chemical nutes every few days and it’s a gaurentee d harvest. I literally spend 10 mins every other day watering mine if all else is fine. Either way you’ve probably thought this thru, just thought I’d offer a soil point of view mate

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts