What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zamaldelica

Legalcdn

Zamaldelica Reg 9 wks @ 11hrs

These are the 2 that are really standing out to me! This one is getting so fat and wild looking! What a beauty! Could this be a hybrid vigor Thai like Pheno? I don’t see much Malawi influence on either of these 2 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 18806660
View attachment 18806661

This one is what I had in mind when I thought of growing this strain! It’s straight up sweet mango! Still several weeks to go! Could this be zamal leaning pheno? Sure looks like some of the pics I’ve seen from la reunion.

View attachment 18806662
View attachment 18806663

Peace ✌️
Beautiful plants. They look happy.
The carrot smells must be amazing.

tjmccoy

Veteran
Beautiful plants. They look happy.
The carrot smells must be amazing.
Thanks! The most carrot smelling ones, it’s earthy and kinda spicy maybe more like the green tops of a carrot than the actual carrot. The one that’s really sweet fruity mango, sweet carrot juice is my pick for the smeller of the bunch! I have a fruity lanky frosty Malawi that’s getting incredible smells, it’s just like juicy fruit gum, very sweet and makes my mouth water talking about it! It’s my pick for the best smeller so far!

tjmccoy

Veteran
Group photo 🤩
AFA90577-78D0-49C3-9354-AA037E97FB3E.jpeg

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Here are a few pics of Zamaldelica I have this year. I'm surprised because these are maturing faster than Reg. Zamaldelica seeds I've grown in the past. Last time I grew Reg. Zam seeds was probably 5 years ago. There was wide pheno variation then. For several years I grew from Fem seeds. This year I opened a pack of Regs that I got as a freebie a couple years ago. Seems like they are from a different round of production than my first Reg pack. There's less pheno variation in these. I grew 5 seeds and got 4 females and one male. I didn't keep the male.

Here is the most mature plant which is in a very sunny hot spot in the garden.

fgRzp91.jpg

Here are a few cola pics. The first Reg Zamaldelica pack I got 7 years ago did not mature like these are. Those went later, well into October as I remember. These newer ones seem a bit closer to the Fems in the way they form big dense colas. Unfortunately we are about to get some rain. Bad timing. While they are well along in flowering, they are not mature enough to take. It isn't close in my opinion. So I hope these survive the rain without breaking out in mold. I've found Zamaldelica is a bit more susceptible to mold than the Zamal, Malawi or Thai parents are. I think the brown tips on the stigmas are from the recent heat wave we had here. Mid to upper 30s (C) 90s (F) for nearly a week.

3ZnDKF9.jpg

jw9MpYF.jpg

Here is a nearby different one of the 4 Zamaldelicas I have. Very close in maturity but slightly behind.

hGvlLI1.jpg

I like this closer view of the top colas grouped together under a clear blue sky.

nW3Y6vn.jpg

Sorry guys. Thought i replied to all of you, but looks like no. :thinking:

Great to see your last season Zamaldelicas girls from the new regular release so advanced in the 3rd week of September @musigny23 correct, the regular pack you grew a few years ago was the F2, and it was a much more variable and tropical, long flowering release. The new-current regular release since 2021 is a much more tamed and faster flowering, more uniform F3 release, and as you correctly pointed out they behave more in shape, timing, flower density, etc ... like the fem release does.

To selectively breed for denser flower structures inevitably increases susceptibility against botrytis, that was the price to pay for to adapt and to tame Zamaldelica genetics to indoor growing and to non tropical latitudes, making Zamaldelica faster flowering, with good looking dense resinous colas like it is nowadays, and staying away from the long flowering tropical phenos. We still have many tropical long flowering F2 Zamaldelica lines preserved in seed form in our preservation fridge, but we don't release such lines nowadays for Zamaldelica. Most growers want to experience best traits from these 3 sativas involved in Zamaldica breeding in reasonable flowering times and that can be easily grown indoors, harvesting great looking dense resinous buds, very very few growers wanted the long flowering tropical expressions of airy flowers and low yields. I deeply went through through the long flowering F2 population and honestly never found anything better than Zamaldelica elite F1 mango carrot, which is the key stone of all latest Zamaldelica breeding (and hybrids), providing the traits that growers recognize most as Zamaldelica.

How did your outdoor Zamaldelicas finish ? What differences did you find in each female ?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I have one early female that showed pistils 4 days after flip.
keep it or chuck it?

although some breeders like to usually discard very early flowering males, a fast flowering onset is not a bad thing in Zamaldelica females, since early expressions are close to Zamaldelica elite F1 and her traits. Anyway, best to wai to harvest the strain so you can evaluate the genetics and its different expressions so you have a criteria to choose/discard.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Well looking at last update they did quite some bulking up in just 2 weeks.
View attachment 18780676

View attachment 18780677

View attachment 18780678

Lovely 2 Zamaldelica regular girls @Dentex :love: How did they finish ? Did you like the outcome ? Glad you found strong mango terps, the bud on the leaf is always nice to find too hehehehe

The one on the left must be a regular F3, she had the Thai calyxes and lots of Zamal/Thai influence embodied in a more big yielding Malawi structure, that's the Zamal/Thai F3 pheno described in the Breeders Pack, the one on the right has a more elite chunky flowering structure from Zamaldelica elite F1.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
An exceedingly pleasant wake & bake. My 2nd run from this plant, a 159-45u machine washed bubble hash. Aged Zamaldelica fem bud from Jan 2021. A little on the spiky side and the high is somewhat reminiscent of the exhilaration that I remember from 1970s pot.

zamaldelica2-jpg.18783082

Great looking return @tobedetermined :smoke: your pheno looked very resinous and really suitable for extractions. Glad to hear Zamaldelica brought you nice memories from the sativa effects of your youth, you should try Oldtimer's Haze if you want to experience more ACE genetics with that 70s vibe!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome back!

Nice selection. Zamaldelica regs and Malawi fems. Funnily enough my previous grow was the opposite, a Zamaldelica fem and Malawi regs. So after your grow the universe will be back in balance. :D

I found them very different indeed even though they are related with the Malawi being in the Zamaldelica. Malawi super sticky buds. Zamaldelica dry. Crumble up and burn really differently too. The Zamaldelica has a super clear and functional high (as long as you don't get lost into the thoughts it provokes). The Malawi well not a knockout stone but you're not crisp either lol.

Haven't tried the Hon x Pan but people seem to love it. Positive Central American vibes.

thanks for the feedback @goingrey happy to hear you appreciated the differences in the effects and personality between both strains and that you are playing with them producing your own seed :yes:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Here are my Zamaldelicas ( and a Tikal in top left corner) at day 35 of 11/13
View attachment 18802049
Zamaldelica #1 (bottom right) looks likes it farthest along and has a nice citrus/ tropical fruit smell. View attachment 18802057
Zamaldelica #3 (Bottom left) Is taking its time and still popping out white pistils. It has a woody earth smell. The resin is slowly growing! View attachment 18802058

NOW FOR THE MAIN EVENT!

Zamaldelica #2 is my lankiest plant and like it’s sisters in this tent she hadn’t been that stinky until a few days ago. Yesterday I was sniffing her after watering and the scent hit me.

MANGO!
View attachment 18802059

Now I’ve eaten a lot of mangoes In my life and I can tell you exactly what kind of mango it smells like.

View attachment 18802061

Haitian Mango for sure! Everytime I open the back of the tent I’m overcome by the scent. The scent isn’t entirely sweet though, it has slight sour twist. It kinda smells like a Haitian mango gone bad.

Alright I think I’ve said enough, if any one knows what expressions I have I would love to know .

A pleasure to meet your 3 Zamaldelica girls @Crowned :dance013:are they regular seed or Zamaldelica feminized ? Female 1 and female 2 lean towards Zamaldelica elite f1 based on the flowering structures, ripening times and tropical scents. The more mango smelling female 2 is showing a really wild asymmetric branching, more typical of pure Zamal or pure Thai. The third one that smells earthier should be an expressions with more Malawi influence. Please, keep us updated!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
much appreciated @MadMac thanks for your support :yes: Always touching to know you appreciate our work and that you find it useful for your own breeding projects. Yeah, Zamal and New Caledonia are the perfect landrace sativa type to outcross to Haze since some Zamals and New Caledonians can be as good as Haze in effects and potency, but different, they both have new interesting traits to add to Haze hybrids, no need to mention the epic highs when combined, and probably with more potential than the more typical Colombian x Haze or Thai x Haze hybrids.

What kind of traits did you select for in your straight Double Zamal and Double Zamal x Haze 'F1' ?
What's the reason behind backcrossing the F1 to Haze again ? Is it to inbred your favorite Haze parental plant with a touch of other sativa genetics to avoid inbreeding depression but fix most of the Haze traits you are seeking for ? Is in your opinion the backcross better than the F1?

Wish you success, and continue enjoying during the process! :)

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Means a lot to us you chose ACE genetics for your return to growing after 8 years hiatus tjmccoy :thank you:
Really interesting Zamaldelica phenos you got there from your regular pack, explosive flower development on those colas! :D

As i commented previously, Zamaldelica regular current release contains 2 main lines: Zamaldelica elite backcross and different F3 Zamaldelicas selected for Zamal/Thai flowering traits and finished product, but emboided in a (more Malawi shaped) compact plant of fast ripening and great yields.

This is a good example of the tamed F3 of Zamal/Thai flowering traits, high yields and fast ripening:

this second one is also the tamed big yielding F3 pheno but showing Zamal/Thai influence in a different way than the first one:
View attachment 18806660
View attachment 18806661

This one is what I had in mind when I thought of growing this strain! It’s straight up sweet mango! Still several weeks to go! Could this be zamal leaning pheno? Sure looks like some of the pics I’ve seen from la reunion.

Peace ✌️

this third fatty F3 too:
View attachment 18806679

and lastly the carrot smelling one the reminds a lot pure Zamal A parental plant ;) and must be offspring of Zamaldelica elite:
View attachment 18806678

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Means a lot to us you chose ACE genetics for your return to growing after 8 years hiatus tjmccoy :thank you:
Really interesting Zamaldelica phenos you got there from your regular pack, explosive flower development on those colas! :D

As i commented previously, Zamaldelica regular current release contains 2 main lines: Zamaldelica elite backcross and different F3 Zamaldelicas selected for Zamal/Thai flowering traits, but emboided in a (more Malawi shaped) compact plant of fast ripening and great yields.

This is a good example of the tamed F3 of Zamal/Thai flowering traits, high yields and fast ripening:

View attachment 18803163

2 different phenos in small pots maybe 5 weeks or so along ☮️
looking good in early flowering @Good Egg :) are you growing also the regular version ? What kind of scents are you getting from them reaching mid flowering ? Once they are a bit more advanced i will be able to evaluate better how long they need more.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
@OZZ thank so much for your interest in exploring Zamaldelica Breeders Pack :greenstars:
Wish you find great Zamaldelica expressions from all the lines like was the case with Panama Breeder Pack!
I see you created a dedicated thread here in our room for the Zamaldelica Breeder Pack:

which is more updated, so if you don't mind i catch up there as soon as possible ;)

tjmccoy

Veteran
@dubi , Thanks so much for the insight! I’m absolutely delighted with Ace genetics and my plants! They are all so beautiful!!

I’m so happy to hear that I have one that reminds you a lot of a “pure zamal A parental plant”. That’s what I was looking for! I’ll let you know how the buzz is after harvest!

I did grow and start them on a tropical light cycle talked about by dj short as a possible way to coax more tropical expressions. 14hrs veg and 11hrs flower. We also used very intense 1,000w - 1,800w blue Mh/cmh through veg and to about week 4 of flower before switching to cmh/hps. It does seem that I got a really wide range of expressions in all the lines that I grew this time. 3 intersexed zam’s that I feel is environmental. The plants that are compact are really compact, the other side is extremely vigorous stretchy tropical! I found a beautiful lanky fruity Malawi out of the fem line in only 3 seeds. The idea was to have them come to life thinking they were in the tropics with very intense light/uv, warm temps, similar light cycles and volcanic super soil. Do you think this could coax tropical expressions that otherwise wouldn’t show themselves or do you think it would just manipulate flowering times etc?

Any advice on were to look for a good zamaldelica male? I had 3 that were intersexed and culled. I have another 10pk of regs and the whole breeder pack available. I do like the idea of selecting towards the more trippy zamal A parent lines. But ultimately I need to wait and sample everything before I make any real decisions. Fast finishing and compact isn’t a priority for me for my indoor ventures! A 12-14 week somewhat stretchy plant works good in my colosseum setup.

Have a great day! ☀️ 😎

Last edited:

funkyhorse

much appreciated @MadMac thanks for your support :yes: Always touching to know you appreciate our work and that you find it useful for your own breeding projects. Yeah, Zamal and New Caledonia are the perfect landrace sativa type to outcross to Haze since some Zamals and New Caledonians can be as good as Haze in effects and potency, but different, they both have new interesting traits to add to Haze hybrids, no need to mention the epic highs when combined, and probably with more potential than the more typical Colombian x Haze or Thai x Haze hybrids.

What kind of traits did you select for in your straight Double Zamal and Double Zamal x Haze 'F1' ?
What's the reason behind backcrossing the F1 to Haze again ? Is it to inbred your favorite Haze parental plant with a touch of other sativa genetics to avoid inbreeding depression but fix most of the Haze traits you are seeking for ? Is in your opinion the backcross better than the F1?

Wish you success, and continue enjoying during the process! :)
Hola Dubi
Being a breeder and trying to please everyone's taste is such a hard task!
Everybody is looking for something else
I particularly look for the weed I smoked during my life which is creeper high weed and it is clear all modern canna breeding has bred or is breeding away from what I look for, so for me it is a very difficult task finding weed I like

I am running some Zamal MP x Seedman Hz BX and Zamal MP x Ot1 Green Haze
The 2 early Zamal x Ot1Hz are both auto sexed under 14 hours of light
So far 4 of the 6 Zamal x Smoh BX are semiauto as well and both have sexed under 14 hours of light
In the picture you can see Zamal x Ot1hz on the left and 3 Zamal x Smoh Bx on the right, all of them on 20 lt pots and the unsexed ones are there in 13 lt pots
Zamal x ohz.jpeg

From 5 Mauritius x Ethiopian I got 2 semiauto phenos so far and got 3 more sexing, will see soon if the semiauto trait is fixed in the line or if they are phenos
M x E 1
M x E 1.jpeg

M x E 2
M x E 2.jpeg

New Caledonia in my environment is semiauto, top shot got attacked by local ants. They are terrible. I am trying different approaches before going with cypermethrine if no choice.
I tried nettle slurry and lemon juice which is citric acid. None of them are insecticides but both are repellents and they repel for a very short period of time. They might be much better at keeping fungus at bay
I just did a good potasic soap wash. I hope it works and keeps bugs at bay. They attack the top shot. I have seen they attacked twice the same Zamal A girl but they cant cut the top shot nor leaves but they keep trying and they always comes back. Zamal genetics are very strong against these bastards and this is the first one of the Zamal girls getting attacked by these bastards: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leafcutter_ant
But New Caledonia needs more help, I saw the top shot yesterday like this
New Caledonia top shot attack.jpeg

So, for my environment and for myself, I am choosing to pollinize from the breeders pack the Double Zamal because it is the only reliable semiauto of the breeders pack and a couple of Zamal A phenos which are making the typical chandelier branching. And from the rest of the breeders pack I am keeping all the semiauto phenos and they all will get some random Zamal pollen which always fly in the air when pollinating

So in the case of the Auto Hazes which is Zamal x Ohz or the Mauritius x Ethiopian cross if you like which would be the same case.
If you BX to haze will it become photoperiod, will it fix the trait? I am not sure, I think Zamal is much stronger than haze genetically
And if you bx to Zamal or Mauritius are you fixing the semiauto trait? I think in this case you would probably fix the trait because these indian ocean strains seem to be very strong and dominant when outcrossing.
Dubi, If it interests you, Northern Thai 2008 line crossed to Laos mango sexed same like Thaidelicas under 14 hours of light, same like my keeper haze which is madmac haze best girl x N Thai 2008 hermie girl.
It seems Thais get tamed when outcrossed
Thaidelicas are all huge plants reaching easy the 3 meter tall mark the tallest and the rest well over 2 meters tall. Your Ace Thai Chiang Mai look even taller with longer internodes than Thaidelica and has very crazy vigour, this Thai Chiang Mai stock should easyly be 5 or even 6 meter plants outdoors if you let them grow

Have a nice weekend everybody

Keif Cake

Veteran
Great looking pheno leaning towards Zamaldelica elite F1 @Keif Cake :D Did she come from a regular or feminized seed ? How did she finish ? Did you like the outcome or still in curing process ?
She came from feminized seed. I havent been able to determine much yet, its taking a good bit longer to be of good smokeable quality than everything ive harvested recently and still in the curing process while the mother plant revegges. It smells and looks great, has a bit of a chemical smell to it that i really like.

LostTribe

Premium user
From way back on my first ACE experience Zamadelica from Reg seed. I think it was around 2016. @dubi can you give me any clue as to which of the lines this leans towards if either of the 3? Thank you I sure miss it!

It had a raw carrot smell with fairly narrow leaves. The fans did a sort of strange shape compared to what other plants do. They Sort of pitch forked.
full

I thought I lost this pic below. See the big fan to the far right side.

full

It was a small plant compared to the POTH that was in the tent with her. Maybe a bit of woodiness to the raw carrot. It was the dont use heavy machinery flight for sure!

I have a few left in the pack and another 6 pack from the same release, but I also have 2 full reg packs of the Golden Tiger from the same timeframe. I have not ran any of the pure GT.

Latest posts

Latest posts