What's new

Zamaldelica grow outdoors, 44* N

yoss33

Veteran
The weekly update is not a very happy one.

We had some pretty strong winds several days ago and Z#4 was given up by the hemp strings that supported it attached to the pole stick. The result is that the plant lost support in some directions and has bent and broke right under ground level. I visited it 3 days later and it was lying on the ground, with its tops starting to re-orient sideways (the new up direction). It was, and still is quite droopy, but having survived 4 days without getting worse brings hope.
The main stem is broken and split into 2 parts under the ground, and the thinner of these 2 parts is seriously crushed.
I erected the plant again and now it's supported by sticks and better strings from 3 sides. We expect strong winds again tomorrow.

Here it is:
picture.php

And by the way, the plant didn't lost a single branch during this mishap, which is amazing. Though the branches lost their good directions and distribution and are now packed at some places leaving other places empty:
picture.php

And here's Z#4 from a slightly new perspective. It really brings the tree out of it.
picture.php

Here's the same top, bent in the same way as in my post from a week ago. It doesn't seem to have progressed much:
picture.php

And some photos of bent buds follow:
picture.php

ThaiBliss

Veteran
The Farming Life

The Farming Life

Yoss33,

Sorry to hear about the Z4 plant. As a farmer, you never know what the season will bring. I still think it is within the realm of possibility that you could wind up with a treasure from that Z4.

I once had a cutting that I was very proud of, and gave it to a friend somewhat late in the season, at the start of July. This friend was in the habit of not fertilizing his plants with any nitrogen after July 1. He planted outside and gave it the same treatment as if it was a well established plant. I visited him in late August, and he showed me the plant. It was terribly yellow, most of its leaves had dropped and had hardly grown at all. I wanted him to see what a good variety this was, and I begged him to just give it a little dose of nitrogen so it could get a foothold. He just grinned at me and ignored my advice. Come October, after he harvested, we smoked it together. It looked as gold as the Colombian Gold of my youth. It was significantly more powerful than what I had grown from the same cut I was keeping.

I told this story to a old Mexican grower I knew, and he told me about a plant that had split in two at the junction of two branches that became the main stems. He wrapped a cloth around the break to patch it together. At harvest, he looked at the split, and some kind of larvae was inside eating out the center. He told me it also turned gold. B.T.W., whenever I write gold, the actual color was more of a yellow, and the same can be said about the Colombian Gold of yesteryear. Anyway, that old Mexican grower, who spent his lifetime growing weed, said that plant was the best weed he ever grew.

I'm telling you this so you don't give up hope that there is something worthwhile that can come of that plant.

The Best of Luck,

ThaiBliss

yoss33

Veteran
Thanks for sharing these stories, man :) There's some scientific truth in plants under hardship producing more potent resin.
I'm in no way desperate about Z#4, I've see worse cases with good outcome. Its yield will surely suffer greatly, but it would have made too many jars anyways :) Let's see...

konopenko

Veteran
Hey yoss your monster will produce enough ganja as I see. Hope she finish like you predicted.. Kind regards brate y privet!

yoss33

Veteran
Hiya, Konopenko! Thanks for the wish and lets hope together for a better autumn in the Danubian region. Is the weather still fine under the Alps?

Here's the weekly update.
Z#4 is recovering though it lost the older half of its leaves. Z#2 is fine and I tied it with a string to a nearby tree branch because it's bending too much when wet and windy.

Z#2:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
And only these photos of Z#4 as I forgot to recharge my camera's batteries:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

We are having the first autumn wave of rains today and in the following 3 days. I hope the Zams will start flowering faster without the sun and moon.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks for the frequent updates yoss, your Zamaldelicas are becoming trees in your area! :)

It's a pitty the lost of health and leaf now in early flowering, it's very important to provide the right quantity of water and nutrients in this stage so they can produce the maximum quantity of high quality flowers in the next weeks. But there are always factor outside our hand that can affect the outdoor growing. Wish you the best for the rest of flowering!

yoss33

Veteran
I didn't know I was nominated for POTM :) The tree stands out among the crystal buds.

The weekly update:
The rains are gone, we had 4 days with a total of more than 70 liters per square meter. Combined with low temperatures and 3 mornings with frost. Unusually early for the year.

Z#2 feels good but Z#4 is droopy and the tops of the branches soft and bending. I don't know if it's because of over-watering or what, but the plant is not happy. Maybe some disease started where the stem is broken under the ground.
Now we are having sunny weather and it will have the chance to strengthen.

Z#2:
picture.php

picture.php

Z#4:
picture.php

B

BlOoDShAnTi I

What a tree yoss!!Big up!!I hope your zamaldelica's will make it.Im 45N and its raining whole week.

yoss33

Veteran
It won't make it :( Maybe Zamaldelica is not frost-tolerant, because all other plants that wither with the first frost also died or lost their leaves. My tomatoes died from green to brown for 4 days. That was 1 week ago. We've been having sunny weather since then, but to no avail.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
Quite disappointing indeed. This is the first season since I started growing bought seeds 6 years ago that I don't manage to grow enough for a year of smoking. Though I'm happy to have enough stash left from last year's tree at the same place to get me through to next year's harvest.

Here's Z#2:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php