What's new

Zamaldelica grow outdoors, 44* N

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Z2 Survives! Good news. I could not see any fresh pistils from here. Is it close, or did the frost damage the fresh pistils, or both?

I hope the potency makes this season feel like a good one.

ThaiBliss

orfeas

Veteran
Oh, boy! I sympathize with you!
What a devastating loss after having tended such a nice tree for so long to find it dead within a few bloody days...
But then again last year's abundance will save you your day, plus the smallish ZMD that seems fine:tiphat:

yoss33

Veteran
Yup, it feels like a big loss to look after a single plant a whole season and it to die at the end. But that's growing :) It wasn't a good season for my tomatoes either.

Z2 Survives! Good news. I could not see any fresh pistils from here. Is it close, or did the frost damage the fresh pistils, or both?

I hope the potency makes this season feel like a good one.

ThaiBliss

I guess they were damaged by the frost, because all pistils, both old and very young, were colored in the same shade.

Here's an update from my friend's balcony.
Both Z#5 and Z#6 are doing fine, though Z#5 is still suffering from thrips or whatever. My friend watched some movie with a Californian master grower who "hair-cutted" his plants 2 weeks before harvest to get more light to the buds. So my friend thought it's time to do the same on the Z#5. I'm not sure about how effective this techinique is, there is some reason in it, though it looks a bit early for such hair-cutting.
Both plants seem somewhat slow to flower. Maybe the street lights are slowing their flowering. Especially Z#6 seems like heading for a late harvest.

Z#5:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
And by the way, I sampled quickly dried "buds" from Z#4. I tried 3 hits from the pipe and in a joint with friends. Here's my post from another thread on Zamaldelica:
Yesterday I tried the first immature samples of the Zamaldelica tree that I have dying in the beginning of flowering. It already has some resin and while about 4 times less potent than what I consider good potency, it's getting me high. As a disclaimer for the following lines, I'd like to note that I'm currently used to smoking pure Haze and everything feels heavy and dirty after it.
The high is not bad, though I hope it gets better with maturing and curing. It is focused and alert, cold blooded, not emotional at all. I expected it to be more clear, with visual shapness, but while there's lots of adrenaline in it, there's also some fuzziness. It is not euphoric, it even kills the euphoria of Haze smoked before that. Yet, it is not paranoid, just cold trippy staring-at-the-wall type. It has the specific african body feeling - body buzz/vibration/high-frequency tension. What impressed me was the warm blood rush in the head - I felt my whole head red, warm, and of higher pressure for the first 15 minutes. It wasn't an uncomfortable feeling though, it was something like the rush of poppers. It reminded me of the description of Zamal x Thai that another member here, VanVulpen, described as putting a helmet. I'll wait before taking new samples as it definitely needs to produce more resin in order to become really trippy and develop that "scary" feeling.
That post was made in regard to Zamaldelica's type of high. I have to also mention Z#4's flavor and taste. They are both superb, even with quick dry and no cure. I'm a bit surprised that I didn't see any raving on them in the Zamaldelica experiences shared by other members. Maybe outdoor conditions are needed for full expression, but the potential is great. Everybody among my friends commented very positively after taking a draw from the joint. It has a somewhat "medicinal" yet fuity flavour upon exhale. The smell of freshly cut buds is divine, and strangely familiar to the best pheno I had of Nirvana's Royal Flush, which is Oaxacan x Jock Horror. It's strange because that pheno of Royal Flush was quite opposite in effect to Z#4, as far as sativas can differ, it was very euphoric and giggly.

yoss33

Veteran
Hello there, people!

Yesterday I harvested Z#2 and Z#4.

We are having great weather that is going to remain so, according to the 10-days forecast, but Z#2's trichomes lost their sparkle and are starting to turn opaque. It seems the same frost that finished Z#4 almost 3 weeks ago has also frozen Z#2's flowers. There haven't been any frosts since then, so I hoped it will sprout new flowers, but it did only a few. What a disappointing finish in the middle of a wonderful weather.

I picked Z#4 because maybe it's worth doing some extraction from it and because some of the tops have started to catch mold. It was very easy to pick the trunk from the ground, I heard only a single breaking sound when pulling lightly. The plant's roots were decaying.

The last 2 days I sampled quick-dries of all Zamaldelicas. What impresses me most is the fact that the miserable several calixes on a stick, with very small trichomes, that represent Z#4 have the strongest flavour coupled with the strongest effect! It looks like the worst brick weed - only stems and small leaves without visible trichomes. Yet it smells and packs an overwhelming punch from only 2 good hits on the pipe. The rest of the plants have a more clear, focused effect that feels like pure coffee, though this is only first impressions from a few hits, all smoked in the late day after smoking several times before that.

A few photos of Z#2 right before harvest:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Gert Lush

Veteran
The last 2 days I sampled quick-dries of all Zamaldelicas. What impresses me most is the fact that the miserable several calixes on a stick, with very small trichomes, that represent Z#4 have the strongest flavour coupled with the strongest effect! It looks like the worst brick weed - only stems and small leaves without visible trichomes. Yet it smells and packs an overwhelming punch from only 2 good hits on the pipe.
Hi Yoss - Glad to see you're getting something for your troubles!

When you smoked the first quick dried samples (post #186 of 14 Oct), you found it nice but quite weak, yet just a short while later you are describing it as overwhelming! Do you think there is some sort of maturing "threshold" that makes a difference, i.e a point at which the potency turns for the better?

I must say I really appreciate this thread, I am doing a Zamdel grow next year, albeit indoors.

yoss33

Veteran
The high has definitely changed for the 10 days between sampling. I think Z#4 was putting all its last energy in protecting these flowers and they are smelly and the whole "buds" are slightly sticky. There are big trichome heads only on the few seeded flowers' shells, these are older trichomes and some of their heads are damaged and turning transparent reddish. The rest of trichomes are too small but sparkling under the sun.
I don't know if the shift in high is because of different or degraded cannabinoids, but now Z#4's high is more uplifting and not so "cold". I start to like it and think that with curing it can become truely enjoyable.

And by the way, keep in mind that all these descriptions are of microwaved or heat-dried samples. So they are quite approximate, both in potency and type of effect. But I like to try such quick immature samples and why not share the effect.

Siever

Veteran
Hi Gert Lush,

I'm growing Ace's Zamaldelica right now indoors.
Harvest in 6 to 9 weeks (rough estimate).
If you guys are interested a can give a smoke report of the finished product.
As far as a grow report: it's quite a big stretcher in 12/12 even if you don't give it a big pot.
It's just setting it's first flowers. So more on that later.

regards

Gert Lush

Veteran
Thanks for that , Yoss, I suspect it will benefit hugely from a proper cure.
Some sats just transform themselves after three months, or even more.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Honestly, i want to congrat you, i know all the love, time and energy you have put on your plants, you have great courage growing this kind of tropical plants in a cold climate, and despite the late problems im glad you can finally experience your own Zamaldelica flowers. Let us know how is the effect after a bit drying and curing, this type of sativas really improve in deepness with the curing.

yoss33

Veteran
Thank you for the kind words, dubi :)
I'll surely wait at least 3 months before deciding on the true qualities of Zamaldelica's high. I have 6 seeds left, so maybe next year me or any of my friends that likes this year's result will have another try at the strain.
I am really impressed with the strength of Zamaldelica's branches. I've never grown any strain that can support so big branches without any of them breaking from the main stem during the storms. But it also seems to have a weak point that makes it risky for our climate - it doesn't seem to handle well even short periods of low (freezing) temperature. Not strange, considering its equatorial parents. And by the way, it didn't seem too happy with the dry summer heats too. It seems to prefer lots of water and higher air humidity.
This year I had unusually early spell of morning frosts and I'm not sure I'd like to gamble again next year. My growing place is in the bottom of a small valley, and so when it gets cold and not windy, the temperature there drops even further than on the planes around. There still haven't been any frosts this season here, in the town, so my friends that grow on balconies have much higher chances of missing an occasional early frost and so growing Zamaldelica successfully.

Koondense

Veteran
Hey yoss33, maybe you could try BangiHaze next year or make a cross with Zamaldelica.
It's supposed to handle the cold pretty well.

yoss33

Veteran
BangiHaze sounds nice but the listed harvest time (end of Sep / beginning of Oct) is too early, which means it will start flowering in August. I can't grow such strains as I'll harvest mostly seeds and stems thanks to the local ditch weed which flowers in August.

I'll probably grow pure Haze again. It's not sensitive to low temperatures, at least Nirvana's version wasn't. I have a few seeds of it left, as well as 5 seeds of Ace's Tropical Mix, which are small and dark, so most probably are OTH/Thai. I also have one seed of Ace's Tropical Mix which is of bigger size and lighter color and most probably is Guatemala. Maybe I'll start all these and again select a single female to transplant outdoors.
The only early strains that I'm willing to grow outdoors are Cannabiogen's Peyote Purple and DJ Short's Flo and F13, just for the sake of tasting them, not for yield.
We'll see :)

Koondense

Veteran
Right, I forgot you said the local pollen is the problem. Get it.

I sure hope you find your gem, it's always a pleasure to follow your huge sativa thread:)

Just a thought, I was thinking of some RealSeeds landraces from the Himalaya, like Malana Cream, they should start flowering quite late and go until mid november, with a very high resistance to wet and cold weather.

Check out some info here
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=273101

Definitely worth trying.

yoss33

Veteran
Hello, people!
I've been busy and didn't have time to post here the last 2 weeks or so. A few photos from my friend's balcony follow, taken on the 25th of October. A few days ago Z#5 was harvested, but I wasn't there to take pictures.
Z#6 is still going on as it is slower to flower and we are still having sunny weather. 25 degrees Celsius in November is great weather for us, feels like Spain, hehe. Today we are having the first rain since the cold storm a month ago and maybe my friend will harvest Z#6 soon as the forecast is for only 3-4 more sunny days before the temperature drops to more normal-for-the-season and fogs start.

I'll wait some weeks before giving smoke reports on the phenos, all I'll say now is that I like Z#2, it's pure coffee both for the body and the mind, yet without any anxiety/heart issues. My friend says that when he smokes Z#5 he feels as if he's switching on the head lights of his car. Zamaldelica definitely has this "very-focused" feeling, so focused that your eyes will pop out if you look too much into something :) Neither I, nor any of my friends that have tried Z#2 or Z#5 think it's "terrorific" or paranoid. It's strong weed but not in any negative way, it's actually surprisingly uplifting and motivating, I didn't expect that.

Here are the photos.
Z#5:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts