What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zamaldelica Breeders Pack pheno hunt šŸ„­šŸ„•

Mountainkush

Hey OZZ
Just wanted to say congrats on the new baby and good luck with the zamals.
I started 3 zamal A x zamaldelica seeds myself and got 2 females that I have in flower now. Mine are pretty sensitive too.

OZZ_

Veteran
Hey OZZ
Just wanted to say congrats on the new baby and good luck with the zamals.
I started 3 zamal A x zamaldelica seeds myself and got 2 females that I have in flower now. Mine are pretty sensitive too.

Excellent confirmation and thanks for the warm wishes! I think Iā€™m going to drop back to 1.4 EC on not only the Zamal A 75% plant but the one Zamaldelica elite plant that is showing more sensitivity too.

Then Iā€™m actually going to bump EC on the other four as they seem like they want more at this stage. Iā€™ll probably look to target 1.7 for them

OZZ_

Veteran
Day 12 ā€¦.. at week 3 of flower Iā€™m guessing stretch should mostly be over, the way these are behaving, and Iā€™ll pull them all out for individual photo shoots. Thereā€™s some signs of wet feet ā€¦. Autopots really need the plants to be a certain size at a minimum to work properly otherwise they donā€™t drink the trays dry fast enough. So far these are nearly too small to leave the res on permanently. As mentioned before though if I can get another 12ā€ of stretch they should be large enough to make it work. I will most definitely veg them much much longer before flipping them on future grows, probably to about the size they are now.

Overall though they are looking good, and their coloration is good, they just need to grow a bit bigger. Iā€™ll let them continue on as they are through to week 3 and see how much stretch I get out of them and reassess at that point. I might shut the res off for a day or two to let them dry out in the meantime. Maybe once this res is gone likely in a few days.

F65D3C88-EA57-43E1-B037-26573728678A.jpeg

CC357854-CA1F-4114-BE3A-7A2E9B853AA5.jpeg

OZZ_

Veteran
Day 14 of 11/13 ā€¦.. today I pulled them all out one by one and did a final pruning on them. These babies really like to shoot side shoots all over the place and grow like octopusesā€¦.. very faithful to the description of the Zamal mother šŸ¤˜šŸ¤˜šŸ¤˜

Since this is just a pheno hunt I want most all of the energy to go to the fewer main leads as opposed to all that lateral branching so I cut off a ton of laterals on them all. While I had them out I figured I might as well snap photos while I had the chance. I rearranged them yet again in the tent putting the taller plants in the back (Zamal A75% back left and Zam elite #1 back right) and the shortest in the front (Zam elite #5 front left and Zam elite #3 front right) with Zam elite #4 being center left and Zam elite #2 being center right.

Currently feeding at 1.4-1.5 EC with a reservoir PH of 5.6 and PPFD in the 500-600 range.

82CEB6E2-47C2-4E94-8EC3-E2432F39DBEE.jpeg

E5F5738B-F33A-4649-A5CB-BFA6C00CDC2B.jpeg

Zamal A 75% plant. Nice strong main leads and surprisingly enough not nearly as much lateral branching. Sheā€™s starting to develop razor thin leaves coming out of her new shoots

4A0940AC-97F9-42BE-BFEA-B3347ED8E305.jpeg

6312B1BC-CE51-4ED1-9EEE-0F826DFF19DA.jpeg

E4608E2E-972A-4655-A28B-2652EB40DCE4.jpeg

Zamaldelica elite #1 one of the tallest in the tent next to Zamal A75% with the most open structure.

DDBA7A56-3433-441B-91A1-09703065BAAC.jpeg

3287193F-7DBB-44F7-8932-43788EC99F0B.jpeg

D8FD9F36-98E8-4A31-BE1B-67911E204F07.jpeg

Last edited:

OZZ_

Veteran
Zam elite #2 this poor girl is lopsided due to my sloppy pruning. With the new baby here we havenā€™t been getting much sleep and in my delerium I accidentally chopped off one of her main leads while pruning her, so this girl leans to the right šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

3F3DE033-F9F2-4AFB-A052-FC9F90B4D6C1.jpeg

783A5266-4548-4D5E-81C4-49B8C1E8687C.jpeg

73747A61-F664-46D0-8A94-53132095F1BA.jpeg

Zam elite #3 - This gal is the most nitrogen sensitive of the elite plants, and likes a similar feed strength to the Zamal A 75% plant but has less robust main leads and has an overall more delicate branching structure.

C8B47D59-1175-4928-9E9C-3DEB76A05199.jpeg

9E6865A6-3599-4F9F-BEFE-860322CF168A.jpeg

A73A81FE-578F-4226-9044-A18DB99A579D.jpeg

Zam elite #4 - Nice plant. Good overall open structure, strong but not excessive lateral branching. Not fussy at all and is happy with the feed strength.

BCEDDE9D-7223-48DD-83BE-5450117A829F.jpeg

070C15D9-18F8-4907-8436-16C029026E2F.jpeg

82E72F65-8531-4CF0-8AC4-5AA7F4191F5C.jpeg

Last edited:

OZZ_

Veteran
Zam elite #5 - this plant hasnā€™t been too happy the entire time. She doesnā€™t seem to like the wet conditions of the autopots and is complaining of wet feet. I could have fixed this with a longer veg time allowing her to get a stronger root system established first and /or going to a 4 gallon pot instead of the 2 gallon pots Iā€™m currently using. This decreases overall moisture levels in the medium by increasing the medium volume. Either way works to solve this issue with plants that donā€™t like it.

Her structure is low lying and extremely branching. She wants to grow horizontally like a jungle bush or something.

50205F60-3A5A-44B2-9948-71D91C310FAE.jpeg

F65A66FE-13EE-4AE9-8DDE-C322F132EBC6.jpeg

3E1DE53D-45BD-4E01-A249-5FAB149A1527.jpeg

Last edited:

OZZ_

Veteran
This morning all the ladies look very happy and they took exceptionally well to the pruning. Many of them are praying, they continue to stretch and most of them seem to have gotten dug in by now. Even fussy #5 seems to have gotten dug in a bit more this morning and is perking up. After seeing them this morning and only being 15 days into flowering I have no more worries that they will remain too small for the autopots. Itā€™s clear they are getting a proper root mass established and they still have plenty of time to continue building the root mass which should further improve conditions in the autopots.

CCC61C6C-5A1C-4B41-B06F-EAF2926B2771.jpeg

4B6EC3FD-A3DB-47D0-A133-DD04A672C539.jpeg

DED6F329-0E70-41D3-B0DB-1C3BB0C0CBE8.jpeg

9FDA8A39-9F53-4605-B334-7DA7C2568589.jpeg

46E568FA-DF53-4628-98E6-2556848F6143.jpeg

Last edited:

OZZ_

Veteran
Some phenotypic variation is starting to appear. Pictured first is Zamaldelica elite #1 with nice fat bud sites forming, elite #2 is similar to #1

8C941079-B8D5-43B6-8775-685D1E2F897E.jpeg

For comparison here is the Zamal A 75% ā€¦. Also forming decent budsites at an early stage. Elite #3 and elite #5 are similar if not slightly behind these two.

ED06DE25-77C7-4223-870C-5908A20744EA.jpeg

Elite #4 is significantly behind the others and shows she will be the slowest of the bunch. Maybe a Thai leaning pheno? Iā€™m not sure time will tell as they get further into flowering

B732176B-F780-455A-BBDB-BDD4A7C1A1AF.jpeg

Last edited:

Legalcdn

Congrats on the baby. Enjoy the child raising years, they go quickly. Get the book "Good Night Moon", then get the "Go the F*ck to sleep" (parody).

Zamals are really looking impressive, liking the #1 bud sites. What's the one with the most carrot smell?

OZZ_

Veteran
Congrats on the baby. Enjoy the child raising years, they go quickly. Get the book "Good Night Moon", then get the "Go the F*ck to sleep" (parody).

Zamals are really looking impressive, liking the #1 bud sites. What's the one with the most carrot smell?

Thanks legal! Itā€™s a journey so far and we are just getting started. Thanks for the tips!

So far all the Zammys are very similar in the scent department except for the Zamal A plant, and also the slowest longer flowering one has a different scent, as well as the more nitrogen sensitive #3. All the others are very similar in smell strength and profile mango carrot/ sweet carrot

ā€¦ā€¦ but itā€™s early days yet. Some of them are definitely starting to bulk up flower size. Iā€™ll get an update soon šŸ‘

OZZ_

Veteran
Day 22 on the Zamaldelicas. Everyoneā€™s looking good. As before #4 is clearly going to be the slowest. #1, #2 and the Zamal A75% look like they are ahead as far as stacking flowers early is concerned.

#3 still stands out as different from the others as well and #5 is much happier now that she has gotten her feet dug into the medium, although she still has a low lying, sprawling bushy nature to her.

78B27C0A-78A8-4680-B925-0BB098613D5E.jpeg

C9E147B0-AABD-4F0B-A05F-42BECB272E3B.jpeg

OZZ_

Veteran
4 weeks into 11/13 and phenotypes are starting to show themselves

I had to change the res this weekend so I decided to let the plants dry out for a full 24 hours before flipping on the new res. I like to do that every so often when I keep the plants small, as in the autopots thereā€™s a constant water table in the trays.

As such some of the plants look a little thirsty in these pics, particularly the Thai pheno as youā€™ll see

Zamaldelica elite #1

Sheā€™s a large robust plant with a strong open frame. She is stacking the heaviestā€¦. Or I guess I should say she is furthest along in development at this stage with her budsites already almost joining together. She will definitely be forming large colas. Likely will be the highest yielding plant in the tent.

AB19630D-82A8-47D3-B0A2-4AAF051E029D.jpeg

FDF0043B-8E65-43CE-8719-D4EE39E7F11F.jpeg

Zamaldelica elite #2

This is the lobsided girl do to a pruning mishap early on. My mistake ā€¦. As such itā€™s hard to compare her structure but she is one of the tallest of the bunch, equally as tall as the Thai pheno. Nice large budsites as well. Will also be forming impressive colas.

E3FEA08C-22A3-4D88-9245-98A2375C8901.jpeg

70743F64-E08A-4D17-B231-EFCF0A32555C.jpeg

Zamaldelica elite #3

This pheno was the most nitrogen sensitive early on, showing slight clawing as a seedling. Next to #4 that to me seems like a Thai pheno type, she is one of the slower flowering plants in the bunch with more petite and delicate floral formations.

C6BAB285-BB5C-46E6-BB78-173564AB045B.jpeg

720B647F-E594-4A3A-8B85-958C2290D525.jpeg

Zamaldelica elite #4

This is the slowest of all 6 plants in the tent. She has long delicate flower formations and extremely long thin fan leaves. While pheno #3 is the most nitrogen sensitive exhibiting clawing early on ā€¦.. this pheno is the most sensitive to the current overall EC of 1.5 showing the most tip burn warning me to not progress any higher with nute strength. Iā€™m assuming she is a Thai pheno, but I am simply judging by photos seen online here not from personal experience. Forgive her droopy appearance, she was thirsty here ā€¦. As mentioned I let all the plants dry out for about 24 hours before these pics so I could clean out their trays and take these photos

F5DDD010-3428-45F3-BDC1-787DFC7E078D.jpeg

A6ACF13B-49AE-48E8-94A0-5659028BC5B5.jpeg

Zamaldelica elite #5

This is the low profile plant that wants to grow out horizontally like a branchy jungle bush. Strong floral formations ā€¦ although not quite to the extent of #1 and #2

1FD94CA1-9CEF-4CE8-84FC-3912CEDF75D5.jpeg

C30308F1-09DA-46BB-AE9C-4DAD1489D422.jpeg

Last edited:

OZZ_

Veteran
Zamal A 75%

Wide open structure. Strong floral formations but with different pistils than the elite line plants (except for the Thai pheno). Slightly more sensitive to nitrogen she clawed slightly early on as well. She had a very minor case of the very very early stages of lockout with light yellowing threatening to creep in, which is why I cleaned all the trays out. Sometimes in the autopots if a little debris gets into the bottom of the tray it can start decomposing throwing off the PH in the tray itself affecting the plant. I expect her to fully recover now that the trays are cleaned and with fresh nutrient solution

14157FBF-45EB-4212-B3F5-0083EC6C95F3.jpeg

E4F155A5-2DD5-4760-B731-AAC6F6A223E5.jpeg

Last edited:

OZZ_

Veteran
Hey guys! Iā€™m going to continue updating this grow in the main Zamaldelica thread, initially I thought I was being courteous by not clogging up the main thread with all the updates but now I realize by double posting there Iā€™m just making a mess of things ā€¦ my bad!

Iā€™ll be updating there hereā€™s a link to the post

Post in thread 'Zamaldelica'
https://www.icmag.com/threads/zamaldelica.231570/post-18310194

šŸ™šŸ™šŸ™

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi @OZZ_ we are all perfectly fine following your efforts with Zamaldelica here in your own thread friend Just post the results in the main sticky thread for posterity āœŒļø Enjoying a lot here catching up the thread, reading all your comments and evaluating the pics of each different female.

I have the same feeling than you ... from the Elite F1 x F2 line: plants #1, #2 and #5 are closer to Zamaldelica F1 elite mother in appearance, branching, terps and faster response to flowering, while #3 and 4 have indeed more Thai influence, hence the slower response to flowering, thinner leafs, and also thinner, more delicate and wild pistils. Zamal A bx1 lone female got the leave traits, strong bearing and overall look from his dad instead from pure Zamal, yet with very desirable and strong branching from Zamal genetics.

Eager to continue enjoying the thread and the flowering of the females for the next 2 months, thanks!

And congrats on the baby boy, that's LIFE! :huggy:
hope you are all healthy and sleeping as much as possible hehehehe

OZZ_

Veteran
Hi @OZZ_ we are all perfectly fine following your efforts with Zamaldelica here in your own thread friend Just post the results in the main sticky thread for posterity āœŒļø Enjoying a lot here catching up the thread, reading all your comments and evaluating the pics of each different female.

I have the same feeling than you ... from the Elite F1 x F2 line: plants #1, #2 and #5 are closer to Zamaldelica F1 elite mother in appearance, branching, terps and faster response to flowering, while #3 and 4 have indeed more Thai influence, hence the slower response to flowering, thinner leafs, and also thinner, more delicate and wild pistils. Zamal A bx1 lone female got the leave traits, strong bearing and overall look from his dad instead from pure Zamal, yet with very desirable and strong branching from Zamal genetics.

Eager to continue enjoying the thread and the flowering of the females for the next 2 months, thanks!

And congrats on the baby boy, that's LIFE! :huggy:
hope you are all healthy and sleeping as much as possible hehehehe

@dubi Ok great and thanks for the heads up. Iā€™ll just post the major milestones in the sticky Zamaldelica thread then. That was my original thought but then I started thinking maybe I made a mess with double posts šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

I blame the lack of sleep! HA! As you mentioned it has been very very short lately. Iā€™m back to work with ten hour work days, the newborn and trying to keep my indoor gardening projects all on point is challenging but so far we are hanging in there, I hope to not drop the ball as we go along. The good news is everyone in the family is doing great. Thanks again to you and everyone for the well wishes.

Thank you for clarifying the phenotypes that is very helpful! I assumed #3 and #4 were thai phenosā€¦. But i wasnā€™t sure if they were possibly Zamal phenos instead of Thaiā€¦. Or visa versa. Although I was fairly sure #4 was Thaiā€¦. Because I remember @repuk had a very thai leaning Thai Chi a few years back and this female has fans that are incredibly similar to that when she isnā€™t thirsty lol.

The Zamal A plant has different and thinner pistils than the elite #1, 2 and 5 plants, but similar structure as you say.

Itā€™s too soon to say for certain, but as of right now I believe I will be selecting four plants for a second run. Iā€™ll be re-running elite #1 and elite #2 for a final selection for an elite mother keeper. They both have better structure, are higher yielding and vigorous ā€¦. as well as much more terpy than #5. Besides I donā€™t really like #5s preference for growing low and wideā€¦. And her terps donā€™t match #1 and #2 so that was an easy choice.

Between the two Thai leaners, for me #4 is the obvious choice. Strong and vigorous ā€¦. Woody and ammonia type smells ā€¦. Large Thai NLD fan leavesā€¦.. sheā€™s currently my pick between the two Thai types.

Then Iā€™ll want to re-run the Zamal A plant. She is suffering from very very minimal lockout which I think I can recover her from ā€¦. Now that the trays have been thoroughly cleaned. But she needs and deserves a second shot from what Iā€™m seeing.

Things could change after smoke testing of course as that will always be the final decision makerā€¦. But at this stage Iā€™ll be eyeing #1 #2 elites, #4 Thai and the Zamal A 75% for a separate, second run and grow them out bigger with longer veg to truly see their full potential.

One other side note I should mention that also makes a second run necessary. In another tent in the same room I was running three Doors x original haze plants and one ACE Malawi.

I just took down two of the doors x original haze plants and noticed a few seeds here or there when trimming them. Not many but a few. The Doors x original haze pheno #3 threw out nanners towards the end so itā€™s possible she pollinated the others. Either that or I wasnā€™t careful enough with my little PKB x Green Honduras Haze breeding project out in the garage when pollinating the PKB mother ā€¦. Maybe some of the stray pollen found itā€™s way inside the house and into my grow room lightly pollinating them?? Iā€™m not sureā€¦. My grow room is right off the entryway into the house from the garage so itā€™s possible I guess. If thatā€™s the case then the Green Honduras Haze male got them all haha.

So itā€™s possible these Zamaldelicas maybe lightly pollinated. Either way though this run still serves its purpose as an initial pheno hunt. To get a look at all the plants and choose the most favorable for a second run to then see their full potential.

Last edited: